PDA

View Full Version : Woodchuck Bait?

Kraschenbirn
05-20-2024, 11:29 PM
We've had a chuck or two around since the day we bought this place...almost 40 years ago...but lately, they're becoming a nuisance. Spent all afternoon cleaning up a mess in our detached garage after one got inside and couldn't get back out...will be stopping by lumberyard tomorrow for insulation and some cheap paneling to patch the holes in left in the interior walls.

Time was, I'd had just propped a .22 inside the patio door and trimmed the population whenever the opportunity popped up but can't do that anymore. We're still outside the city limits but too many houses built nearby and there's a big push by local law enforcement on 'gun crimes'...a half-dozen firecrackers will draw (at least?) two patrol cars within 10-15 minutes.

I saw MT Gianni recommended jelly rolls in another thread; may give those a try but, at the same time, I'm open to any feasible suggestion.

Bill

35 Rem
05-20-2024, 11:41 PM
They love clover or soybeans but not sure how to use either for bait in a trap since they usually eat them while still growing. I have a hog that has moved in my shop right under my 77 Trans Am and has raised a bunch of little ones. I can't really blame them because I planted our old garden spot right beside the shop in Whitetail Institutes Imperial clover to feed the does that are raising fawns near the house. With that much clover you KNOW you are going to draw in groundhogs. But they are pushing my limits filling the engine bay of my car with dirt (it doesn't have an engine installed at the moment). Not sure how long I'm going to take it before I get either the 22 Hornet or 218 Bee out. I'm assuming you have one of the live traps and are wanting to catch your guilty party to deposit elsewhere?

MaryB
05-21-2024, 12:43 AM
I always use fresh lettuce, they love the stuff, I catch them in the garden munching down on it...

To get around no guns one of these with a broadhead(amazon has them) will bury a bolt to the fletching in a bow target, and they go completely thru a rabbit... https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-gear-supplies/archery-gear-equipment-supplies/crossbows/bear-archery-desire-rd-black-pistol-crossbow/p/1694008?channel=shopping&srsltid=AfmBOooxAf4LQftcsNM8Ss5sYuv6ZYopDh_BxJutdD wXRMKIRrvvPMYvpZ8

Crossbow pistol broadhead bolts, just match the length included with the bow... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=crossbow+pistol+broadhead+bolt&crid=1GS7HU61BIVZZ&sprefix=crossbow+pistol+broadhead+bol%2Caps%2C139&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Mine is good to 25+ yards so effective for yard use but they won't travel far outside the yard.

square butte
05-21-2024, 05:29 AM
My best luck has been with watermelon and cantaloupe - Sometimes a drop or two of vanilla extract on the melon draws them in

quack1
05-21-2024, 05:31 AM
They love apples, just cut one in half or quarters, to spread the scent. Maybe leave a piece outside the trap to get the hog "primed" and wanting more.

farmbif
05-21-2024, 07:21 AM
like square butte ive found that a surefire way to attract them crop destroying ground hog/wood chuck is with using cantaloupe/musk melon rind.
either that or try growing melons, squash or pumpkins and get them in the crosshairs in the wide open. those critters like to burrow in my out buildings where shooting at a fast moving critter scampering about could lead to getting stuff shot that shouldn't be shot.

05-21-2024, 07:22 AM
Any chance of a .22 CB. If you control the impact area, nobody will hear it. I do like the crossbow idea, though.

farmbif
05-21-2024, 07:30 AM
if you put some melon rind in one of those wire cage traps. have a hart traps or a knockoff look a like trap I guarantee that critter will go in there and get caught
cooked briefly in a pressure cooker to tenderize the meat then roasted with some onion and garlic it tastes just liked the roasted beef they offer in the deli and sell sliced for $15/lb

bedbugbilly
05-21-2024, 07:40 AM
I tried many things on woodchucks, but the best thing that worked for me was jelly rolls. I used to fight them ll the time on the farm - both in the fields and around the barns and outbuildings - they can sure do a lot of damage to a foundation in a short amount of time - especially an old barn foundation built out of fieldstone.

MrWolf
05-21-2024, 08:27 AM
Get yourself an Air Venturi in 25 cal with a 3d printed "moderator". Neighbors won't hear a thing plus a lot of fun. That is a pcp air gun and would requiresome way to charge it. You could possibly use a different type and there are a lot of threads here on them.

Tripplebeards
05-21-2024, 08:52 AM
I've caught them in live traps with tomatoes and corn cobs. Any vegetables. Should do. Live traps, air rifles, 22 shorts, and arrows I've used for dispatch.

trapper9260
05-21-2024, 09:01 AM
What I use is a 160 body grip trap. Set it in the front of the hole, they will be dead , no sound or shooting. There is at times 2 in a hole if they been a long time or at times 3 , but with the young may be more . Just make sure you have no cats around because the trap will take them out or anything else that walks into the trap. I do not bait for woodchucks . Make sure the trap is solid , X stake between the jaws into the springs and wire it to something solid or stake pond in the ground. Set the trigger wires that way you have a space that they will go in the trap so their head will get caught behind the ears.

racepres
05-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Jeeze...Go to the dollar store and get a Bag of Double Bubble...scatter some around where they hang out... don't bother to unwrap..
Kinda Mean really...But..Eliminates the dirty buggers..At my Place anyway!!!

Rapier
05-21-2024, 09:05 AM
If you have smaller pests, the 22 LR Subsonics with a can on a single shot are the ticket. I bought this Rem 510 single shot with a dirt dobber ruined barrel, for $20 from a pawn shop. Cut the barrel then re-crowned it, at 16.25" threaded it 5/8x28, drilled and tapped it, put two 541 scope bases on it with a center fire scope, cleaned it up and made a pest popper out of it. It is a quiet deadly little problem solver. Out to 200 yards off a rest it will pop pine cones. Skunks, coons, armadildoes, turtles in my fish ponds, etc, no problemo.

Only thing people hear is the whack, from the bullet impact.

contender1
05-21-2024, 09:34 AM
First off,, you want to be legal. Check your local state laws about trapping or whatever.

I do this for a living. I own a business dealing with nuisance wildlife.

Many states,, require a permit to trap out of season,, even on your own property. Here in NC,, a permit is required,, BUT THE PERMIT IS FREE!!!!!!

The most common method of dealing with groundhogs I use is the same as mentioned by trapper9260. A 160 coinibear. Inexpensive, very effective,, and the bigger problem would be Terrier dogs vs cats. Cats,, don't like going into tunnels or holes potentially occupied by a groundhog. A terrier,, is bred to do just that.

But if cage trapping,, melon rinds are an excellent choice. A jelly roll can also catch unwanted critters.

dverna
05-21-2024, 10:02 AM
First off,, you want to be legal. Check your local state laws about trapping or whatever.

I do this for a living. I own a business dealing with nuisance wildlife.

Many states,, require a permit to trap out of season,, even on your own property. Here in NC,, a permit is required,, BUT THE PERMIT IS FREE!!!!!!

The most common method of dealing with groundhogs I use is the same as mentioned by trapper9260. A 160 coinibear. Inexpensive, very effective,, and the bigger problem would be Terrier dogs vs cats. Cats,, don't like going into tunnels or holes potentially occupied by a groundhog. A terrier,, is bred to do just that.

But if cage trapping,, melon rinds are an excellent choice. A jelly roll can also catch unwanted critters.

Always like posts from guys who have a lot of experience. Thanks for sharing!

redhawk0
05-21-2024, 12:15 PM
OK...if you're just looking to get rid of them (shooting would be more fun)...I was told by an old farmer's wife that to get rid of woodchucks...go buy a large bag of bubble gum. Drop 5-6 wrapped pieces down each hole. Keep doing that every day until you don't find any wrappers being thrown back out of the hole. Bubble gum does clog up their works...and they die in the hole...no need for disposal.

[EDIT] ooops...just saw racepres said the same thing in a different way...haha

redhawk

elmacgyver0
05-21-2024, 12:52 PM
The most fun would be shooting them and the guns to use have already been mentioned.
Another way is to use a smoke bomb. Find his burrow, it won't be hard.
It will have two entrances, block one with a big heavy rock then light smoke bomb, toss down the other hole and place a piece of plywood on the hole and stand on it for a few minutes.
You used to be able to buy the smoke bombs made to do this from the hardware store, they were called Revenge Smoke Bombs, I don't think they are made any more, but there is nothing special about them.
Any old smoke bomb will work.
I bought a supply off Ebay where you might still find them.
Get rid of the chucks before they make a burrow next to the foundation of your house.
Skunks love woodchuck burrows, and they will move in even if the chuck is still using it.
At some point the chuck will raise the rent and the skunks will show their displeasure the way skunks do.
Happened to us and my wife was not a happy camper. She spent a lot of money to a professional to deal with the critters.

racepres
05-21-2024, 01:58 PM
Yes...Skunks will move in behind Woodchucks..Property disputes do develop.. In my experience... Skunks do Not like, nor live with Moth Balls..
Yes plenty of Debate...But unless Skunks are Partaking of the Bubble Gum like the Chucks....the Mothballs are working for Skunk!!

as Said...Firearms are much more fun... but. Usually around Buildings...your Own Buildings, that you kinda like..it is difficult to get critters to cooperate by providing appropriate Backstops!!! Tho a Golf Cart ride with the 410 Contender works awesome for Ground Rodents...and the 20Ga will dispense muskrat, ground hog, red squirrel... it is Rare indeed to spot a Varmint presenting himself for a Clear centerfire or even 22rf opportunity!!! Does happen tho...Gotta be Flexible!!! If the population continues to rise...Rabbits will be Next!! Tho it is the season for Orphaned Cats... and Rabbits and Cats are Mortal Enemies!!

jonp
05-21-2024, 02:28 PM
Soybeans in a live Hart trap. Gas them with your exhaust for a painless sleep then clean and cook.

ttd444
05-21-2024, 02:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E&ab_channel=Rodenator

country gent
05-21-2024, 04:41 PM
Shooting is effective but in populated areas is a problem. A lot of suburbs and city areas have rules on shooting even air rifles and archery.
Trapping works but isnt selective you get the chucks rabbits neighbors pets.
Poison works but again arnt selective and can poison a large range of animals including predators.

A large live trap will catch them and also allow bunnies and pets to be released set it in front of the hole and set it check it daily. When you catch one there are several ways to dispatch the animal. put the trap in a heavy bag and exhaust from lawn mower or car into it. A deep stream or pond tie the doors closed a rope on the handle and drop it in. Releasing in a new area isnt an option as almost everywhere this is illegal.

We used a Hav a hart live trap that was around 12" square. caught ground hogs but pets and others could be released. Conibears work good but as above arnt selective. Leg holds they either dig themselves in or chew off their leg.

Some of the old timers here would sprinkle red devil lye in the holes this killed them, they went out into damp grass this activated the lye and they lick their feet. The other problem with poisons is you end up with a carcass some where rotting.

elmacgyver0
05-21-2024, 05:01 PM
Nuke'em from orbit, the only way to know for sure.

Mk42gunner
05-21-2024, 07:19 PM
The big Harvahart box type traps work, baited with cantaloupe/ muskmelon. If you like to eat the nasty things the rind and seeds will be enough for bait.

Make sure the latch works well on your trap otherwise the groundhog can get out. I found this out the hard way; the one I bought worked, the one I inherited from my uncle let them back out.

Robert

RickinTN
05-21-2024, 07:30 PM
CCI "Supressor" rounds out of your 22 rifle. Very quiet and very effective. The neighbors won't even know.
Good luck,
Rick

35 Rem
05-21-2024, 08:30 PM
The big Harvahart box type traps work, baited with cantaloupe/ muskmelon. If you like to eat the nasty things the rind and seeds will be enough for bait.

Make sure the latch works well on your trap otherwise the groundhog can get out. I found this out the hard way; the one I bought worked, the one I inherited from my uncle let them back out.

Robert

My Father trapped quite a few coons with my large HavaHart but he had to do some adjusting/modifying on the trap to be successful because coons would back out after getting the bait. First he had to tie the bait down so they couldn't drag it over to the edge and eat it through the wall of the trap. Then when they started stealing the bait and backing out he fixed the toggling release in the middle of the trap so only the side furthest into the trap would move down releasing the door. That forced the animal to go all the way in. Then he added some large magnets to the door so it would fall harder and operate the latch. After that he had very few getaways. I too like the fact that you can release anything from this trap that you don't want to kill.

country gent
05-21-2024, 09:23 PM
Coons possums woodchucks will get out if they dont get all the way in If there tail is under the door it may not lock and they can get out. We weighted the doors on both our have a hart traps along with the sliding bars that lock the door. Another trick is to leave one door closed and locked putting the bait close to it. We copied a large hav a hart making it the same size except 8" longer 4" each way. Raising the trip pan a little may have helped also. But the one we made was way more effective. If I remember we soldered the sheet metal to the wire mesh

Another trick when setting the trap in place is to wiggle it some working grass up thru the bottom wire mesh. On the one we made we also made the trip pan an 1" longer each way.

You can bend up the wire mesh over a 2X4 better is a frame. then bend up sheet metal to make the piece under the pan the pan and doors actually the doors can be made from wire mesh with a sheet metal frame.
We made box traps for muskrats from wire mesh entirely. doors were hinged the muskrat swam thru lifting the door and it dropped behind them Very effective and on a good night we would get 2-3 in one trap.

Thin walled angle can be used to stiffen and make the plates to drill for pan and triggers.

contender1
05-21-2024, 10:58 PM
Again,, we all need to be aware of the legalities of some things. How you dispatch an animal in a trap may have State restrictions. Some may be quite silly,, or even stupid. But if caught,, it could be serious trouble.
Poisons are generally illegal in many places due to the fact they do not discriminate. Plus,, they are usually a painful death,, (read; "He was charged with Cruelty to animals.")

One silly law in NC is you can not drown an animal in a cage trap,, yet you can legally trap an animal with a foot hold trap, in or around water & have a drowning cable.

And the earlier mentioning of moth balls & skunks. As a professional,, I have had SEVERAL (read well over 100) customers over the 20+ years of doing this for a living,,who TRIED using moth balls for skunks. The skunks will just dig them out or remove them from the hole.

A properly set Conibear 160,, placed in the entrance of a hole or a normal passageway,, is super easy & very effective. Again, just as I've mentioned,, make sure no free roaming Terrier breeds are around. In a groundhog hole,, only rats, opossums, and later on,, skunks will enter them. I've caught well over 1000 groundhogs with them, and never had a single cat in one. As long as the owners & neighbors keep the Terriers away,, no dogs will get caught, and again,, I've never caught any dogs.

I get paid for results,, NOT for catching "Fluffy" or "Phido". Plus,, my business would suffer if I did that.

And cage trapping,, yes,, you can easily release non-targets,, but catching them defeats the purpose. Use a bait specific for the animal you seek. When using cage traps on groundhogs,, I've never caught any pets either.

And just for giggles; My days work today was as follows.
Go to customer #1, and pick up a cage trapped raccoon.
Go to customer #2, and remove a dead opossum from under a porch.
Go to customer #3, and seal several potential squirrel entry points, and add a squirrel excluder to (2) active entry/exit points.

Tomorrow is to be;
Possibly go back to customer #1 for more raccoons.
Go to customer #2, and add a couple of squirrel excluders to the sides of a wall.
Go to customer #3, and remove the bat excluders & seal the openings.
Go to customer #4 and pick up my groundhog traps,, (conibear 160's.) I've already caught the offending, basement digging groundhogs.

Just another day in the life of a professional animal damage control agent.

Dutchman
05-22-2024, 12:35 AM
Peanut butter smeared on the trigger of the live trap. Capture followed by trial and execution. I killed 37 woodchucks when I lived in northern Indiana. Woodchucks can be very damaging to the landscape and building foundations. I enjoyed the freedom to shoot them but overall I caught more in the trap than I shot. Your daily mantra:

mr. woodchuck is not your friend

https://images34.fotki.com/v1324/photos/2/28344/2426898/z7-vi.jpg (https://public.fotki.com/dutchman/fuji_6900/mr_woodchuck_is_not/z7.html)

Swedish Mauser 1900 Mauser Oberndorf (frankenSwede)

https://images15.fotki.com/v1685/photos/2/28344/1676633/DeadChuck22-vi.jpg (https://public.fotki.com/dutchman/crufflerstuff/wapenroom/deadchuck22.html)

tigweldit
05-22-2024, 07:44 AM
Large live trap with modified trigger and peanut butter works well. Weatherby .300 with hollow points is way over kill, but a lot of fun.

contender1
05-22-2024, 08:26 AM
Lots of things offered as bait can & will catch groundhogs. As noted above,, peanut butter can work. BUT,,,,,,, peanut butter can also catch non-target species such as squirrels, coons, possums etc.

And as I expected,, going back to customer #1 for another pair of coons today.

Shooting any critter inside a cage trap allows for the chance for the bullet to hit the cage on the way in, AND on the way out. Cage damage isn't good.

15meter
05-22-2024, 10:30 AM
Just don't "relocate" the miserable animal to someone else's neighborhood. That was a continuous problem growing up on a farm on a minimally traveled country road.

Don't just dump your problems onto someone else.

It's nasty, rude and here in Michigan it's illegal.

My daughter's summer college job was working the toll booth at a local park, it was almost a daily occurrence to be cussed out for telling people they couldn't dump what ever live animals they had brought to the park.

They would pull up to the toll booth, announce what they were there for and wanted free entry. "We're not staying, we're just releasing the squirrel, woodchuck, raccoon, chipmunk."

More than a few just drove in with out paying, my daughter got pretty good at reading license plates and calling the park cops. Who were also fully deputized county sheriff's.

She also got cussed out when the cretins left.

Don't dump your problems onto someone else.

farmbif
05-22-2024, 10:48 AM
no need to dump unwanted woodchucks. they are some tasty meat and the fur makes excellent glove linings among other things

racepres
05-22-2024, 10:49 AM
Just don't "relocate" the miserable animal to someone else's neighborhood. That was a continuous problem growing up on a farm on a minimally traveled country road.

Don't just dump your problems onto someone else.

It's nasty, rude and here in Michigan it's illegal.

My daughter's summer college job was working the toll booth at a local park, it was almost a daily occurrence to be cussed out for telling people they couldn't dump what ever live animals they had brought to the park.

They would pull up to the toll booth, announce what they were there for and wanted free entry. "We're not staying, we're just releasing the squirrel, woodchuck, raccoon, chipmunk."

More than a few just drove in with out paying, my daughter got pretty good at reading license plates and calling the park cops. Who were also fully deputized county sheriff's.

She also got cussed out when the cretins left.

Don't dump your problems onto someone else.

Very well Put.. I tell "City Folk" you need to know that whatever you Drop Off...I Dispose Of...

35 Rem
05-22-2024, 10:54 AM
I wish somebody would drop off about 500 groundhogs near my big soybean fields so I could once again use all the varmint rifles I have. I would dearly love to sit in my truck by various fencerows drinking cold Gatorade with my 17 Remington, 221 Fireball, 22-250, 220 swift, 22 CHeetah, 6mm Remington etc. in tow and sandbags on the hood the way I used to when groundhogs were plentiful.

racepres
05-22-2024, 11:08 AM
I wish somebody would drop off about 500 groundhogs near my big soybean fields so I could once again use all the varmint rifles I have. I would dearly love to sit in my truck by various fencerows drinking cold Gatorade with my 17 Remington, 221 Fireball, 22-250, 220 swift, 22 CHeetah, 6mm Remington etc. in tow and sandbags on the hood the way I used to when groundhogs were plentiful.

Sure wish I could get them Buggers from here to You. They don't hang out in fields when there are Buildings to Destroy ... around here anyway!!

MaryB
05-22-2024, 11:35 AM
Ground hog on the BBQ smoker... like pulled pork...

35 Rem
05-22-2024, 11:55 AM
Sure wish I could get them Buggers from here to You. They don't hang out in fields when there are Buildings to Destroy ... around here anyway!!

Yeah, that's my problem here too. The coyotes kill them if they try to live out in the fields the way they used to, so they all move in around the barns and shop buildings. Even those don't seem to last all Summer. I am hesitant to shoot any because it seems we only have enough to barely reproduce for next year. So frustrating for a shooter who mainly got into rifle shooting for the varmints and has a bunch of 22 centerfires and thousands of bullets on hand.

racepres
05-22-2024, 03:20 PM
^^^ Yup, I haven't used my 6mm-06 much in years.. lately when I bust it out, I been re-zeroing, Closer!! I ain't the Shot I used to be... Probably should pass that one Down!!!

Mk42gunner
05-22-2024, 08:11 PM
One thing I have found is that the havahart type mesh traps that are sized for a raccoon or ground hog do not work for armadillos. The critter is just too long and the door hits them on the shell, allowing them to back out.

Robert

ulav8r
05-22-2024, 08:52 PM
I preferred catching armadillos over skunks, using a Havahart. The armadillos jump when startled, found them dead in the Havahart the next morning.

maxreloader
05-22-2024, 08:55 PM
We've had a chuck or two around since the day we bought this place...almost 40 years ago...but lately, they're becoming a nuisance. Spent all afternoon cleaning up a mess in our detached garage after one got inside and couldn't get back out...will be stopping by lumberyard tomorrow for insulation and some cheap paneling to patch the holes in left in the interior walls.

Time was, I'd had just propped a .22 inside the patio door and trimmed the population whenever the opportunity popped up but can't do that anymore. We're still outside the city limits but too many houses built nearby and there's a big push by local law enforcement on 'gun crimes'...a half-dozen firecrackers will draw (at least?) two patrol cars within 10-15 minutes.

I saw MT Gianni recommended jelly rolls in another thread; may give those a try but, at the same time, I'm open to any feasible suggestion.

Bill

I heard TrailBoss works well... :bigsmyl2:

shooterg
05-30-2024, 06:37 PM
If you have smaller pests, the 22 LR Subsonics with a can on a single shot are the ticket. I bought this Rem 510 single shot with a dirt dobber ruined barrel, for $20 from a pawn shop. Cut the barrel then re-crowned it, at 16.25" threaded it 5/8x28, drilled and tapped it, put two 541 scope bases on it with a center fire scope, cleaned it up and made a pest popper out of it. It is a quiet deadly little problem solver. Out to 200 yards off a rest it will pop pine cones. Skunks, coons, armadildoes, turtles in my fish ponds, etc, no problemo.

Only thing people hear is the whack, from the bullet impact.

Yup, I put a suppressor on an old Mossberg 44 . Miss a groundhog in the garden, no problem - nearly always get a second shot , guess the missed shot whizzing by just confuses 'em !