PDA

View Full Version : Stump the mechanic

Battis
05-16-2024, 09:30 PM
2020 Ford F150. 32,000 miles. I picked it up a few days ago. Great condition, but...
On the highway, hit the gas to accelerate, and there's a shimmy underneath. Take my foot off the gas, the shimmy goes away.
The dealer had it for the day and they checked everything. Everything. They finally figured it out.
Any guesses?

Rickf1985
05-16-2024, 09:32 PM
Motor mount or transmission mount. With a third option of the center support bearing on the driveshaft.

rockrat
05-16-2024, 09:35 PM
My thoughts also. Maybe just loose bolts on the transmisson mount

Battis
05-16-2024, 09:37 PM
Nope.
It feels like driving on rumble strips.

Finster101
05-16-2024, 09:39 PM
Torque converter lock up/shudder.

cwtebay
05-16-2024, 09:40 PM
Let's see here....my 2020 had:
Vacuum issues
Missing motor mount riser
CV joint (X2)
And a cast defect in the spoke of a wheel!
Other than that - rock / mud in a wheel, tire size/ inflation discrepancy, wheel balance, broken air dam.
All have been a good reason for a shimmy in the F150 (including the 2020

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Battis
05-16-2024, 09:41 PM
Torque converter lock up/shudder.

We have a winner. Good thing it's under warranty.
Apparently, the dealer checked everything listed here, and more.

alfadan
05-16-2024, 09:53 PM
Seens if a torque converter is going to go out early, 30 to 40k seems like the magic number. Not the first I've of that.

Battis
05-16-2024, 10:03 PM
OK, next (and last) question:
2016 Kia. Check Engine light is on. Car runs like crap. There's a recall on the catalytic converter. The owner went to a garage, the mechanic scanned it and said, it's the catalytic converter. Went to the Kia dealer and they said that the codes were erased, and without a code, they can't replace the recalled converter.
Can't codes be recovered?

One Kia dealer wants $3500, another wants $5000.
One dealer suggested straight piping it (FLA). Legal?

Dave W.
05-16-2024, 10:14 PM
No, once the codes are erased they are gone, until the problem happens again and sets the codes again. Just keep driving the vehicle, if the cat is bad the codes will come back.

Depending on what is wrong with the cat, they could perform an exhaust back pressure test to see if it is plugged. The other test would be to observe the pre and post cat oxygen sensor readings - these will tell if the cat is doing its job.

However, with a recall, the manufacture probably wants to verify the code first.

Removing the cat is illegal in the US.

Battis
05-16-2024, 10:25 PM
The dealer said it was clogged. They said she could drive it to get the codes to come back, but that might also ruin the engine.
A muffler shop said they could replace the converter for $500 - $1000.
She's 79 yrs old.

cwtebay
05-16-2024, 10:33 PM
Sounds like the fix is more than the car is worth on the Kia!

Winger Ed.
05-16-2024, 10:42 PM
There was a problem with some Ford trucks called 'the death wobble'.
It had something to do with the front suspension.

I heard it was fixable, but some sort of design problem.

cwtebay
05-16-2024, 10:46 PM

I heard it was fixable, but some sort of design problem.I thought that I had thee Death Wobble in a 2015 F250. Turned out that the left ball joint had gotten jacked up on a rock or something in the hills. Terrifying at 45mph, limped her home at 15.

HWooldridge
05-16-2024, 10:50 PM
I doubt a 2016 car will have a clogged catalytic converter. Maybe if it was 20 years old and you were running leaded fuel.

On the other hand…

If there’s a recall, drive it around for a day or two (try not to get stranded), and take it straight to the dealer. A code like that should show up pretty quickly.

cwtebay
05-16-2024, 10:56 PM
Just saw this.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2012-2016-kia-soul-recall-alert-1420757479600/#:~:text=The%20Problem%3A%20High%20exhaust%20gas,p ossible%20piston%20connecting%20rod%20failure.

Battis
05-16-2024, 11:18 PM
That's the one. Just found this out - she called the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration today, and they told her that since the recall goes back to 2019, Kia is no longer responsible for fixing it. They said it should have been done when the recall came out. She didn't even own the car back then.
Something ain't right...

cwtebay
05-16-2024, 11:23 PM
That's the one. Just found this out - she called the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration today, and they told her that since the recall goes back to 2019, Kia is no longer responsible for fixing it. They said it should have been done when the recall came out. She didn't even own the car back then.
Something ain't right...Here's my advice - park it in a shady neighborhood overnight, preferably on a weekend with no street lights. Voila' problem solved! Err... stolen... but solved nonetheless.

Battis
05-16-2024, 11:27 PM
Similar to what I suggested.
I'd spend the $500 to $1000 and have the muffler shop replace it.

Barry54
05-16-2024, 11:32 PM
The Ford limited slip differential additive is a great $20 treatment for the lock-up torque converter to help those who aren’t covered under warranty. It’s stinky like sulfur.

JimB..
05-17-2024, 12:00 AM
Just saw this.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2012-2016-kia-soul-recall-alert-1420757479600/#:~:text=The%20Problem%3A%20High%20exhaust%20gas,p ossible%20piston%20connecting%20rod%20failure.

Based on this I wouldn’t replace the Cat without also addressing the control board…and your muffler shop likely won’t do that.

cwtebay
05-17-2024, 12:02 AM
Based on this I wouldn’t replace the Cat without also addressing the control board…and your muffler shop likely won’t do that.One of my employees has a 2017. She has replaced the board twice in the past 4 years. I don't think you are wrong.

poppy42
05-17-2024, 01:54 AM
Drive shaft needs to be balanced

schutzen-jager
05-17-2024, 07:49 AM

I heard it was fixable, but some sort of design problem.

that was common back when i worked at Ford dealer - occurred on units with the twin I beam suspension - cure was bushing replacement in support arms -

MrWolf
05-17-2024, 08:14 AM
I had a similar problem with my 2017 Chevy Colorado. Would get the rumble strip type sound. Dealership wanted $300+ to flush tranny and replace it with the new recommended fluid. My mechanic said a buddy of his does transmissions and recommended I try his additive first. Worked great and he put the truck on the lift and only charged me for the additive.

Handloader109
05-17-2024, 09:56 AM
Two things. Recalls are time limited, but according to this, it is 10 years. And emissions related are I think 7. Link
https://www.google.com/search?q=recall+time+limit&oq=recall+time&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgBEAAYgAQyCQgAEEUYORiABDIHCA EQABiABDIHCAIQABiABDIHCAMQABiABDIHCAQQABiABDIHCAUQ ABiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQAB iABDIHCAoQABiABDIHCAsQABiABDIHCAwQABiABDIICA0QABgW GB4yCAgOEAAYFhge0gEINzAyNGowajSoAgqwAgE&client=ms-android-att-us-rvc3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
But if you can. Plug in her VIN and see if it was already done, if so she is totally out of luck.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Ifso, and she doesn't have annual emissions test, I'd remove and put straight tube on. But damage may already be done....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Electrod47
05-17-2024, 12:11 PM
Drive shaft needs to be balanced

Thats my vote also

jsizemore
05-17-2024, 08:09 PM
2020 Ford F150. 32,000 miles. I picked it up a few days ago. Great condition, but...
On the highway, hit the gas to accelerate, and there's a shimmy underneath. Take my foot off the gas, the shimmy goes away.
The dealer had it for the day and they checked everything. Everything. They finally figured it out.
Any guesses?

10R80 transmission?

35isit
05-19-2024, 05:15 PM
OK, next (and last) question:
2016 Kia. Check Engine light is on. Car runs like crap. There's a recall on the catalytic converter. The owner went to a garage, the mechanic scanned it and said, it's the catalytic converter. Went to the Kia dealer and they said that the codes were erased, and without a code, they can't replace the recalled converter.
Can't codes be recovered?

One Kia dealer wants $3500, another wants $5000.
One dealer suggested straight piping it (FLA). Legal?

I'm not 100% positive. Believe it is illegal to erase codes without repairing vehicle.

Rickf1985
05-19-2024, 09:08 PM
It is not illegal to erase codes. It IS smart to write them down for future reference to see if the same codes come back. Most dealers nowadays do not have mechanics, they have parts replacers. If their scanner tells them the O2 sensor is bad they simply replace it. A MECHANIC will actually look at the data stream and do a proper diagnosis. BEFORE replacing parts. Yes, I am a retired certified master Mechanic, Not technician, a MECHANIC. Both truck and car. I retired from automotive work in 98 but I can still diagnose a car by looking at the data stream that you can see with any modest Can-Buss scanner.

Finster101
05-19-2024, 09:09 PM
I'm not 100% positive. Believe it is illegal to erase codes without repairing vehicle.

It is not.

cwtebay
05-19-2024, 10:43 PM
It is not illegal to erase codes. It IS smart to write them down for future reference to see if the same codes come back. Most dealers nowadays do not have mechanics, they have parts replacers. If their scanner tells them the O2 sensor is bad they simply replace it. A MECHANIC will actually look at the data stream and do a proper diagnosis. BEFORE replacing parts. Yes, I am a retired certified master Mechanic, Not technician, a MECHANIC. Both truck and car. I retired from automotive work in 98 but I can still diagnose a car by looking at the data stream that you can see with any modest Can-Buss scanner.Thank you for this!
I had an experience with my Chevy 3500 last year that made me pull my hair out! They diagnosed rough running as gasoline in the diesel fuel. Well, 2 weeks into it I called and they said they were just having their MECHANIC look at it that day - apparently it was 2 weeks of computer diagnostics and tech part replacement to find out that there was a problem with the fuel pressure regulator. It was going to be $8000 out of pocket, turned out to be a $0 fix because it was a factory fault.

farmbif
05-20-2024, 08:37 PM
is kia under warranty? if so. you might try stuffing a potato in exhaust pipe. that should put some codes in the computer

Battis
05-31-2024, 05:31 AM
Update: the torque converter in my Ford F150 has been replaced and it runs perfectly (under warranty). This is my first Big Boy truck and I like it alot. Some people have a mid-life crisis - this is my end of life, or late life, crisis. Why did I wait so long? Do we have a secret "Harley wave" when we pass other F150s?
It has the Pro Assist trailer backup system. I bought the kit (directions, stickers, etc) for $15 on ebay. Should be interesting.

The Kia was "straight piped" for cheap money. I guess it's louder than before, and the check engine light is on, but it runs good. Not what I would have done, but what the heck.

MarkP
05-31-2024, 09:22 PM
Very similar issue, replaced U joints, carrier bearing, balanced the driveshaft assy. Turned out to be a ply separation in a rear tire.

K43
06-01-2024, 02:15 AM
SIL's Outback had the brake warning light and CEL on. Dealer diagnosed he needed a new ABS controller, new brakes and rotors all around, and a new transfer case. Thousands of $$.
I looked at the codes which showed wheel slippage (inconsistent speed reading?) on the right front. Checked the right front hub figuring it was maybe the speed sensor, but saw grease all over. Replaced the axle due to a bad CV joint and the lights went out on the test drive. So much for dealer diagnosis.

GasGuzzler
06-02-2024, 08:23 AM
Any automotive topic in a forum will have lots of misinformation. Recalls generally do not expire. Many times, the word "recall" is misused. There are other types of out of warranty repairs such as special policies that cover an item for an extended yet limited time beyond regular warranty. These, most times, have to have a current failure or evidence of a recent related failure. Recalls require NONE of that are done whether or not a failure is occurring or has occurred. Recalls are usually not voluntary by the manufacturer, but are mandated by the NHTSA, EPA, or other government agency. Special coverages are often somewhat voluntary.

Torque converter shudder is a common ailment and has been since at least 2015. With transmissions having more and more gears and engineers wanting drivers to feel shifts less and less, they have designed the software to put the converter into partial slip during shifts and to "control" engine RPM during steady speed. What it really does is damage the clutch in the converter, eventually causing shudder ... just like a '73 Datsun with a worn out manual transmission clutch. GM said their 8-speed shudder was the fault of the Mobil 1 fluid being hydroscopic. Flush many a 8L90s up to 2019 for this. The fluid is very expensive and so is the machine we use to fix it. But in real life, tuning the TCC out of the shifts and into steady speed, fully on or off, is the actual fix. Keeps the 6L80's alive too ... the ones that are crapping pumps left and right due to converter clutch delamination.

Catalytic converters very rarely ever plug up any more. They generally just loose the ability to "clean" the exhaust as good as the original spec. When this happens, you're money ahead punching it out or straight piping it then getting the P0420/P0430 DTC's tuned out of it. There is no sense in putting on an aftermarket converter for a check engine light as they have a very low precious metal content and the light will come back on within months.

It is not illegal to erase codes without a repair. I am not for more laws but it would benefit me if it were illegal.

GM 6-speeds have converter/pump issues, 8-speeds had fluid issues and now are starting to show converter issues, 10-speeds are having valve body issues (some kill the trans, some just cause a check engine light and/or rough shifting). GM shares at least one, if not both the 8 and 10 speeds with F***.

I am a technician, not a mechanic. I have been in the business since 1993 when mechanics worked in shops, even dealers. I am ranked 5th in my zone and 267 in the nation of 90K techs. I am bumper to bumper, car and truck. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff customers bring in and or tell us...