PDA

View Full Version : AR500 target sparking with lead bullets?!?

BNE
05-14-2024, 09:35 PM
I took some out of town folks shooting yesterday evening. We shot until close to dark. The last rifle we shot was a 458 SOCOM. I noticed a small spark when the bullets made impact with the AR500 steel?!?
Bullet alloy was roughly 94-3-3.
Powder coated
300 grain round nose with a big meplat.

I have not chronographed this load, but I think it’s in the 1,600FPS range.

My question is what technically is causing the spark?

BNE

Barry54
05-14-2024, 09:58 PM
Static electricity?
Plastic coating traveling through the air hitting a grounded target.

G W Wade
05-14-2024, 10:24 PM
Could it possibly been a reflection off of a bullet fragment flashing in existing light? GW

BNE
05-15-2024, 06:41 AM
Static electricity?
Plastic coating traveling through the air hitting a grounded target.

The steel is not grounded. It is bolted on to a 2x4 that is slid into a wood stand.

BNE
05-15-2024, 06:43 AM
Could it possibly been a reflection off of a bullet fragment flashing in existing light? GW

It was cloudy and getting dark. So I don’t think so.

I didn’t take the time to inspect the steel itself. I’ll inspect and report back.

Larry Gibson
05-15-2024, 10:56 AM
Bullets GC'd?

country gent
05-15-2024, 04:31 PM
It may be the bullet sliding rust or scale on the plate against the steel and producing a red hot ember or spark.This only really shows up at dusk or low light.

HWooldridge
05-15-2024, 04:58 PM
It may be the bullet sliding rust or scale on the plate against the steel and producing a red hot ember or spark.This only really shows up at dusk or low light.

^^^This^^^

Steel will spark against something like flint because small fragments are "burned" off the surface by the rock striking the surface. The bullet is doing the same thing - I suspect if you painted the steel target, most of the sparks would cease to appear.

BNE
05-15-2024, 11:05 PM
Bullets GC'd?
No gas check.

BNE
05-15-2024, 11:07 PM
^^^This^^^

Steel will spark against something like flint because small fragments are "burned" off the surface by the rock striking the surface. The bullet is doing the same thing - I suspect if you painted the steel target, most of the sparks would cease to appear.

Ok I like this theory. I did paint it, but it may have had rust spots on the surface. Interesting.

BNE
05-19-2024, 03:07 PM
I did look at the target this weekend more closely. There is a small amount of surface rust on the exposed surfaces. I had painted over it, but that makes the most sense so far. Will have to try this again.