PDA

View Full Version : How to correct my trigger technique with handguns?

Camba
05-11-2024, 04:36 PM
For many years, I have had a problem shooting my handguns. To the point that I adjusted my rear sight to compensate where the rounds were hitting. This happens mainly when I shoot off hand.
My point of aim is at the center of target; the point of impact is at the 7-8 o’clock 2.5” left and about 2.5” low.
I have seen in the past a circular diagram that tell what causes that problem. But how can I cure it for goods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BK7saum
05-11-2024, 04:59 PM
Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire is the cure for many improper trigger techniques.

Is this shooting 1 handed or 2 handed?

Likely too much finger on the trigger. Try the center of the pad of your trigger finger. Too much finger in the trigger or too little will push the handgun left or right of point of aim as you fire.

Txcowboy52
05-11-2024, 05:04 PM
Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire is the cure for many improper trigger techniques.

Is this shooting 1 handed or 2 handed?

Likely too much finger on the trigger. Try the center of the pad of your trigger finger. Too much finger in the trigger or too little will push the handgun left or right of point of aim as you fire.

I completely agree! Get some snap caps or make you some and dry fire practice. Focus and lots of practice.

BK7saum
05-11-2024, 05:04 PM
Low is rolling the wrist or anticipating the recoil. The cure for this is to dry fire. Once you can dry fire and the sights do not move off the target, you have improved your technique.

The trigger ahould be pressed slowly to the rear and the shot should be a "surprise". If you try to "make the gun fire right now" when the sights get on target, you are forcing the shot and pulling or yanking the trigger way too fast/hard which will guarantee you bullet will not hit where you thought you were aiming.

Electrod47
05-11-2024, 05:06 PM
Squuueeeeeeeezzzz. Don't pull.

Camba
05-11-2024, 05:06 PM
Two handed. When one handed, it improves some but not enough.
I think my arthritis and the lack of practicing (high cost of components) are making it worst for me.
Thank you for the advice (dry fire). I will be practicing that a lot from now on.
Thank you.

elmacgyver0
05-11-2024, 05:13 PM
A Mantis X is an awesome dry fire or even live fire training aid.
Not that expensive either.

M-Tecs
05-11-2024, 05:30 PM
Dry firing with proper follow through. As stated above the sight alignment shouldn't changes as the hammer falls. The way to tell if you are doing it properly is to compare the actual bullet impact with your shot call during live fire.

country gent
05-11-2024, 05:49 PM
Dry firing is a good training aide. Dont do long sessions but shorter sessions every day. You need to be honest with yourself and call your shots. work with it, shooting is a lot of muscle memory and you need to build it right, trying to change a bad technique is much harder. Start slow with single action and move forward. Prove the training every couple weeks with live fire at the range.

With revolvers a good training aid can be wax bullets over just a primer. A heavy sheet hung for a back stop. A primer and wax bullet no powder is needed. In a basement or hallway they can provide good training / practice.

When dry firing or wax loads no live ammo should be allowed in the area. No live ammo any where near. Unload the firearm and go to the practice area, then clean the gun take a break to get out of the dry fire mind and then reload if needed. Be sure of the guns "condition".

Depending on the firearm sometimes different grips, a trigger shoe or grip adapter can also make a big difference in how the gun points and holds. A "relaxed grip holding the gun up and let it do the work. With a slow steady straight back pull on the trigger. A death grip on the handgun and tensed mucles induce shake and trembling, a trigger pull thats crocked angled or fighting the pull twists the handgun. You have a 2 lb handgun with a 4-5 lb trigger pull

Bazoo
05-11-2024, 05:54 PM
I noticed I was shooting left when shooting 2 handed, what it turned out to be for me was the death-grip I was using with my offhand. I corrected my offhand technique, and my POI moved more to the center where it should be. It wasn't a "flinch" but basically my off hand got very tight, very stiff, and was throwing me left.

CastingFool
05-11-2024, 08:08 PM
What you're looking for is a diagnostic target. Do a search. They can be lh or rh

BK7saum
05-11-2024, 09:02 PM
When I was practicing for firearms instructor school, I dry fired at least 10 times more than I shot live ammo. The course was a PPC match 5, IIRC, and I also dry fired and utilized dummy round reloads(speedloaders) during practice. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun.

Goldstar225
05-11-2024, 09:31 PM
In addition to dry fire (which I encourage), upon return to the range do some "ball and dummy" drills with empty casings randomly interspered with live rounds in the cylinder. Spin the cylinder and close it without detecting the order the dummies come up in the firing order. With a semi-auto randomly load dummies or snap caps in the magazine. Again without noting their placement in the firing order. If you sight alignment/sight picture breaks when the hammer falls on the dummy you'll immediately see what you are doing to cause the low left hits.

lawdog941
05-11-2024, 09:43 PM
To control your anticipated recoil movement, place a dummy round near the front sight and practice squeezing the trigger until it will no longer fall off. You can use a dime also. You could also put dummy rounds intermittently and watch how your movement is when you squeeze the trigger. Being your offhand, it's mostly muscle memory issues. Don't overdo it as you would possibly pick up a bad habit and get good at it.

Texas by God
05-11-2024, 09:46 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240512/ee23dd88b448237846c1d30299d511ae.jpg
There’s a different one that I show my friends….

Texas by God
05-11-2024, 09:49 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240512/54694f34031407d5ce8d97563aefe123.jpeg
I found it!

dverna
05-11-2024, 11:33 PM
I used to do dry fire and it works but seems boring and onerous…at least for me.

If you can afford to spend a little bit of money, an air pistol is a lot of fun. A CO2 .177 will cost less than $.03 a shot and can be used in the yard in many places or in the basement or garage.

Bigslug
05-12-2024, 01:06 AM
Assuming you're right handed. . .

Left = body mechanics. Elbow, wrist, and trigger finger all want to curl left. Lock the arm out and crank the thumb in tight. Adjust trigger finger to pull straight back to the shoulder. CONSTANTLY tell yourself to keep the sights aligned through the trigger - - if the gap on the left side of the front sight starts closing down, something ain't right with the above.

Low = slapping trigger the instant you think your front sight is about to cross the center of the target. . .or anticipation of recoil.

My best solution? Get a DA revolver and forget the single action option even exists. There is no fooling yourself with that system that the sights will ever hold still for you, and it forces a serious cleanup of the basics. Once those lessons get applied to other trigger systems, life gets a lot better.

justindad
05-12-2024, 01:46 AM
When I have trigger issues, I will alternate between the main pistol and a .22LR semi auto. Bad habits that were developing as I shot the larger pistol would linger for a few shots with the .22. When I cleared out the bad habits with the .22, I went back to the larger pistol with the good habits lingering from my time with the .22. That works for me, but I don’t compete and I honestly have no idea how I would do if I did compete. Shooting is my alone time.

racepres
05-12-2024, 08:20 AM
When I have trigger issues, I will alternate between the main pistol and a .22LR semi auto. Bad habits that were developing as I shot the larger pistol would linger for a few shots with the .22. When I cleared out the bad habits with the .22, I went back to the larger pistol with the good habits lingering from my time with the .22. That works for me, but I don’t compete and I honestly have no idea how I would do if I did compete. Shooting is my alone time.

Plus one for "change guns", The open sighted 22LR barrel for my Contender Never...Ever, misses, with a small stash of very old Remingtons I keep aside. When me or the Wife develop a Problem...out comes the Contender 22... been working for Years!!!

tazman
05-12-2024, 09:16 AM
Squuueeeeeeeezzzz. Don't pull.

This^^^^^^

I had a similar issue. I got my bad habit by shooting trap for years. In that sport you want your trigger to break right when the sights were correct. I developed a trigger jerk rather than a pull. I also started off shooting heavy magnum handguns and eventually found I could not handle the recoil, hence I started anticipating the recoil.
Dry firing did NOT help me at all due to the anticipation. There is no recoil to anticipate when dry firing.
How I managed mine was to shoot bench rest 22 rimfire rifle until I learned proper trigger squeeze, then shot 22 rimfire handguns until I could handle the trigger in the same manner. This took more time and ammunition than I like to remember but it paid off.
I then worked up with light loads in my handguns until I was able to shoot full power loads in the handguns where I could handle the recoil without pain and stress.
The most powerful handgun I can manage is a 357 magnum and a full power 1911 in 45 ACP. I limit my handgun shooting to these calibers.
I still try to start a handgun session with a 22 rimfire to make sure I remember to handle the trigger properly.

Camba
05-13-2024, 06:07 PM
Thank you all for your advice! I have already started the dry firing an I noticed that when the trigger breaks, the sight moves. So, I started to be more conciencio of that and it definitely improved.
I like the 22LR practice recomendation. I will do that next time at the range. Low level reloads is also a great advice. I will do that too.
I appreciate all the advice and support.
Thank you.
Camba

SSGOldfart
05-13-2024, 07:03 PM
when the dry firing gets boring try a" I target system "it uses a laser with it's bullet then your (smartphone) records your shots so you can see your improvements. not to costly but works okay with most firearms.
I like it and use it for training[smilie=1:;)

nicholst55
05-13-2024, 08:23 PM
There are many, many videos on this very subject on YouTube.

charlie b
05-13-2024, 10:10 PM
I'm another who uses a DA revolver to 'tune' my trigger pull. I also skip a chamber every now and then to see how I am doing.

For dry fire practice you can use an old trick from the Army field manual. Std pencil with eraser. Put the pencil in the barrel eraser first. Stand so the pencil is about an inch from a target board. When 'fired' the movement of the firing pin will cause the pencil to make a mark on the paper. No, it doesn't solve a flinch, but, it does teach how to move the trigger without moving the gun.