PDA

View Full Version : Small vs. Large Lyman handles

quack1
01-27-2006, 10:41 AM
What is the difference between the old single cavity(small) handles and the newer ones made for single and double cavity molds(large)?
All the dozen or so molds I own are the old single cavity type, as are the several sets of handles(small) that go with them.
Can the small handles be modified to fit the newer molds that take the large handles?
I admit it-I'm cheap and don't want to have to buy new handles if I decide to buy any of the newer molds.
Thanks

44man
01-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Yes, I do it all the time. Just drill new holes in the prongs of the handles to match the mould. Then you can use them for both sizes of moulds. They charge too much for handles. I switched to Rapine handles for my home made moulds because they only cost $14. (They won't fit Lyman moulds though.) I still drill more holes to fit my double cavity.

floodgate
01-27-2006, 02:28 PM
quack 1:

"Can the small handles be modified to fit the newer molds that take the large handles?"

Yes, they can, by filing away on the inner angle of the jaws until they clear the mould body at the inner edge of the slot, with the blocks closed tight. But you will sometimes find that you end up with an awkwardly wide spread in the handles that is tiring if you run a long casting session. The older handles were / are VERY variable in their fit, large and small, and most of the dozen or more I have have required some "fitting". Don't EVER pass up a chance at a decent set of Lyman handles, old or new, if they come at a reasonable price.

floodgate