PDA

View Full Version : Close call yesterday

Thumbcocker
05-10-2024, 09:33 AM
Mrs.Thumbcocker and I were eating at a restaurant. She had a flank steak sandwich. I noticed she had stopped talking. I looked over and she was in distress clearly choking. She could not speak or breath and her color was changing. I asked her if she wanted me to Himlich her. She nodded. I got behind her, placed my fists on her diaphragm and pulled hard. A piece of flank steak that was stuck in her trachea was dislodged. She caught her breath and we finished lunch. It could have ended badly. There were fee people in the restaurant and they never looked up. Take a minute to watch this video. You never know when it might be useful.

https://youtu.be/ZVYOEMP5sKo?si=7s_27NfzylPnQ24p

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IHuntDragons
05-10-2024, 10:14 AM
Wow...glad she's ok and that you knew enough to remain calm and do what was needed.

scattershot
05-10-2024, 10:15 AM
Glad you knew what to do, and that everything turned out OK.

Sig556r
05-10-2024, 10:22 AM
Glad it ended well, could’ve been worse.
Fibers on flank steak chunks sometimes keep swallowed meat suspended in the trachea while still attached to the meat being chewed, causing the blockage especially among people with narrow air passage.
Nice you have the knowledge at the right time, sad there was no emphaty from others.

Adam Helmer
05-10-2024, 10:38 AM
Glad you were at the right place at the right time! I needed to do that a few times due to my wife's swallowing issues. A timely video, thank you.

Be well.

Adam

05-10-2024, 10:54 AM
Wow, thumb cocker! What a scare. Sounds like both you & the wife are calm in an emergency situation. Thanks for sharing.

Ithaca Gunner
05-10-2024, 10:56 AM
I too am glad she's okay!

Thanks for the link on how to do it, I'm sure we're all familiar with it, but it never hurts to refresh ourselves on such a simple life saving manuver over and over.:drinks:

Bazoo
05-10-2024, 11:00 AM
Very glad that you had the knowledge and wherewithal to help her. Praise God!

fordwannabe
05-10-2024, 11:09 AM
WELL DONE SIR! I have also used the Heimlich maneuver successfully, on a co worker( thought I was gonna break her in half at the time) but it worked.

Shawlerbrook
05-10-2024, 11:31 AM
So glad to hear the outcome. Well done !

GhostHawk
05-10-2024, 09:33 PM
I had it happen to me some 10 years ago. Sitting at home enjoying a really good steak, cut one piece a little too big, did not chew it quite enough. Suddenly there it was, stuck. I tapped my wife on the arm, was trying to cough it up, but it was not coming. She asked if I was choking, I nodded yes emphatically several times. She yelled, get UP. So I rolled off my reclining couch, got to my feet, was getting tunnel vision as she got set. Gave one yank, not gone but got a little sip of air. Squeaked out "HARDER" she did it again, and voilla, it was gone and I could breath just as the lights were going out.

If you do not know how, get educated!

smoked turkey
05-10-2024, 09:47 PM
WOW! I'm so glad that Mrs. Thumbcocker is Ok and that all turned our good for you guys. I called Mrs. smoked turkey and we watched the video together. We never know when we might be needed to restore the airway for someone using this simple procedure.

contender1
05-10-2024, 09:52 PM
I too will echo the wonderful fact that she is ok, and that you knew what to do. A simple thing,, yet so important.

And it's scary to witness as well.

Too bad the other folks in there didn't care enough to offer help.

justindad
05-10-2024, 09:56 PM
Well done, and I’m glad that worked out for you. I’ve had to get a marble out of my 5 yo boy’s throat one day. Quick slap to the back and it came right out. I tell new dads: “You will have to save your child’s life some day.”
Thanks for that video too. Excellent refresher.

45workhorse
05-10-2024, 11:21 PM
Awesome job!
Dang shame nobody else noticed! Even if they had they probably would have just pulled out phones and started filming!!!

I was a teenager, at pizza hut in Cordon IN, eating when a friend started choking. I ask him if he wanted me to do the himlic maneuver, he literally jumped into my lap one good "pull" and he was fine!

Plate plinker
05-10-2024, 11:29 PM
Glad it ended well, could’ve been worse.
Fibers on flank steak chunks sometimes keep swallowed meat suspended in the trachea while still attached to the meat being chewed, causing the blockage especially among people with narrow air passage.
Nice you have the knowledge at the right time, sad there was no emphaty from others.

No empathy, because they are robots looking at their phones.

abunaitoo
05-10-2024, 11:35 PM
A sad sign of the times we live in, when no one even notices when someone is in distress.
I can tell she's a tough cookie.
You both finished your meal.
I'm sure snowflakes would have called for an ambulance, and the next call would have been to a lawyer.

Thumbcocker
05-11-2024, 07:47 AM
To be fair, it is a big restaurant, there weren't many people in it at the time, and the whole thing was over pretty quickly. Still....

Daver7
05-11-2024, 09:47 AM
Glad it worked out okay for ya.
First aid is all part of being prepared for what life throws at ya.

quack1
05-11-2024, 10:37 AM
Good job. It's such a simple technique, everyone should learn it. I had to do it several times when my wife's swallow reflex was damaged after one of her strokes.

Texas by God
05-11-2024, 11:20 AM
I’m glad that Mrs. TC is ok!
Scary stuff indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwpercle
05-11-2024, 11:52 AM
That's just Awesome !

I know what to do ... in theory
I know when to do it ...
but actually being able to keep your head and perform the maneuver when the Chips are down is something else !
Way To Go !
Gary

Der Gebirgsjager
05-11-2024, 12:25 PM
I've used it successfully twice. I wonder how many lives this has saved? So happy that it worked for your wife.

DG

Rapier
05-11-2024, 12:57 PM
Our volunteer fire Dept had a volunteer EMT Instructor as a member, that taught emergency first aid to our firemen. So as a Commissioner I took the course along with them, just because. I have done various various treatments in my travels, you never know when the help may be needed.
90% of those present in an event usually have no clue what to do.
Great reaction that you responded as you did.

lightman
05-13-2024, 01:18 PM
Wow, I'm glad She is ok and that you were there to assist! This is something worth knowing. We practiced it at work at the same time that we practiced CPR.