PDA

View Full Version : Montana rifle barrel

beemer
05-05-2024, 12:07 PM
What happened to Montana Barrel Company? I bought two .32 X 13/16 X 42 barrels around 1989, built one for a good friend and put the other up for a good many years. I did mine in 2009. Sadly haven't shot it much or for a long time, until recently. Both rifles are very accurate and easy to load. Just wondering if anyone knows why they closed. They made a good barrel.

cwtebay
05-05-2024, 12:18 PM
They sold and renamed it to Montana Rifle Company, they are known for very nice rifles. Also moved the company to somewhere in Michigan I think.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Beerd
05-05-2024, 12:45 PM
from their web site:
The Montana Rifle Co. Model 2022 is a fully-machined bolt-action rifle made in the the heart of American Manufacturing – Memphis, Michigan.

waksupi
05-06-2024, 10:33 AM
They sold and renamed it to Montana Rifle Company, they are known for very nice rifles. Also moved the company to somewhere in Michigan I think.

Actually, Montana Rifle Barrel Co., and Montana Rifle Co. were separate, yet together. Brian did the barrels, son Jeff had the rifle co. I worked at Montana Rifle Co., and the barrel business was 20 yards away in a separate building.
Brian had been producing the barrels for Remington, who eventually bought the business, and moved it down south somewhere.
The 1999 actions were being cast by a subsidiary of Ruger.
I hadn't heard about the company name being moved to Michigan. Quite possible, Jeff was a piss poor businessman.
I think Brian may have another barrel co. here somewhere. I will say, when I was inspecting barrels, his were some of the best on the market, being better finished than even Lilja's. I do know the barrels coming out of there were all hand lapped.

cwtebay
05-06-2024, 10:52 AM
Actually, Montana Rifle Barrel Co., and Montana Rifle Co. were separate, yet together. Brian did the barrels, son Jeff had the rifle co. I worked at Montana Rifle Co., and the barrel business was 20 yards away in a separate building.
Brian had been producing the barrels for Remington, who eventually bought the business, and moved it down south somewhere.
The 1999 actions were being cast by a subsidiary of Ruger.
I hadn't heard about the company name being moved to Michigan. Quite possible, Jeff was a piss poor businessman.
I think Brian may have another barrel co. here somewhere. I will say, when I was inspecting barrels, his were some of the best on the market, being better finished than even Lilja's. I do know the barrels coming out of there were all hand lapped.Interesting! I recall them being in seperate buildings, but assumed that they were joined. Thank you for the info!

waksupi
05-07-2024, 10:31 AM
Interesting! I recall them being in seperate buildings, but assumed that they were joined. Thank you for the info!

I see I misunderstood which company you are talking about. You are referring to the old Sharon Rifle Co. shop, while I was commenting on the later day company.
When the company you refer to went out of business, Jerry Cunningham took it over, under the name Orion Barrels. I've not seen Jerry in years, and don't know if he is still making barrels.