PDA

View Full Version : Dem-Bart Micro-head for chamber reamers

Rockingkj
05-04-2024, 08:36 PM
Went to an estate sale for an old gunsmith. Among the goods was this device. If it have not been with a sales flyer would not had a clue what it was for. Anyone use one?326270

M-Tecs
05-04-2024, 08:45 PM
It's been a very long time since I've seen one and I have never used one. I prefer a floating reamer holder verse the Dem-Bart Micro-head which is nothing more than a micro-stop for controlling depth. It would be cool as a man cave display item but not so much for actual usage.

zymguy
05-05-2024, 11:09 PM
Could you put the dembart in the floating holder ? I've seen the akley used that way

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
05-05-2024, 11:51 PM
No reason it could not be. At the time these were designed DRO's weren't common, if they were available at all. Some lathes had travel dials but again not common for gunsmith type lathes.

The point is technology improves. If you are going to be threading and chamber many barrels thru the spindle with high pressure flush system is the way to go. I also do all my chambering using the tool post on the carriage with a DRO. Holding chamber depth to a couple of tenths is not a problem for me.

If you are planning on doing 50 Cal BMG or some of the large cartridges for ELR competition you need at least 1 9/16" spindle hole