PDA

View Full Version : 41pb

Echo
02-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Finally got around to trying out my new GB 311041PB, and had generally good results. Haven't sized nor lubed any yet, nor obviously shot any, but anticipate eagerly. The blocks had some sharp corners, and edges, so I carded them off on my wire wheel. Much more user-friendly, now. Did have one problem, though.
The distant end cavity has rounded heels about 1/3 of the time. I was casting some unknown, but hard, alloy, and the boolits were coming out about 157 grs, nice and shiny. Haven't tested for hardness. Casting @ 650 on my RCBS thermometer, in my old SAECO. Smoked the mold first w/butane lighter. Temp varied some, but no apparent relation between temp & rounded heel. I took a break, let the mold cool, and stoned the top edges lightly, thinking it might be a venting problem, with no joy - still did it when I fired back up. Tossed the RH boolits back into the pot, but wonder what's los? Any ideas?

Otherwise, the boolits look great.

mold maker
02-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I found casting at a faster pace and making sure the sprue plate had over flow on it to keep it warmer helped. If that doesn't help raise the pot temp, and add a little tin. Other than that make sure there is no oil or lube on the mold or in the cavity.
Mine cast really pretty boolits and I had no problems after getting it really warm.
Are you casting in a cold environment?

Echo
02-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the response, MM. No, the weather here has retreated to typical Tucson winter - high today was about 72. I ran a space heater in my reloading room for a while yesterday, but the temp only got up to maybe 60.

I generally (bottom) pour the cavities full, set it down, pick up the last sprue & put it back in the pot, then do a quick roll of the boolits to check for anything gross, cut the new sprue, and repeat. I generally try to put a nice big puddle on the sprue plate. I checked the boolits today, and they show about BHN16. As I said, the alloy is unknown - bought it on eBay some time ago, and it was identified as 'hard bullet alloy'. Certainly is, and all other cavities turn out fine. I will re-clean the cavities - the only thing I can come up with now is incomplete cleaning, leaving some cutting oil impregnated in the top cavity.

But the other boolits look GREAT!

And I think in the future I will cut this alloy 50/50 w/WW's.

IcerUSA
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Are you pouring into that cavity first ? I'm finding that I have better luck with the 6 bangers if I start at the handle end and pull the mould to me as it fills .

Keith

Echo
02-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Right on, Icer - I usually pour from hinge to distant end. I tried doing it opposite, and there was no difference.

I feel like I'm playing Dr. Eric Berne's game of "Why don't you - Yes But", where a person proposes a problem and rejects all solutions. I'm NOT!

Don't know if I will have time tomorrow to clean the mold again. Doin's at the Air Museum (SR-71 symposium) and then duty at the range. We will see - I'll report here when I find out something.

Echo
02-22-2009, 01:39 PM
And a question for those that also got this mold - How much do your boolits weigh? My Lyman -041 turns them out ~ 173 grs, and I didn't think a harder alloy would make this much difference (157 vs 173).

???

Alchemist
02-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Mine weigh 169.5 grs on average....that batch was cast from soft scrap & linotype and hardness was about equal to straight WWs. (Saeco 6)

Loaded with 7.0 grs of Unique in .30-30, I got a clay pigeon size 7 shot group @ 50 yards...so I still have some work to do.

TCFAN
02-23-2009, 12:31 AM
I got to shoot this boolit this last Friday for the first time. The boolit wants to shoot pretty good. Shot one group at 50yds and one at 100 yds.

I think when I can get the bugs worked out and get some time it is going to be OK.....................................Terry

Echo
02-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Cast some more today, with a different alloy - 50/50 melted down boolits I got on eBay back when you could get boolits on eBay, & Lino. Good alloy, boolits came out averaging 162 gr (up from 157) - and STILL no 6 had round heels, often! I had re-cleaned and re-smoked the mold. And the temp was from 650 to 750, with no difference - still the RH no 6, often. I guess I will just call it my 5-cavity mold. The boolits look GREAT!