PDA

View Full Version : Shot a rifle for the first time in 2 years, wont be that long again.

koger
05-01-2024, 09:12 PM
I have a Falling blocks works custom rifle, with a tapered octagon barrel in 30/40 Krag AI. It has a crisp safe trigger under #2, beautiful bluing, and nice wood with schnabel forearm, cheek piece on the stock with Rigby style checkered blued buttplate. It also has a Weaver 4x16x44 with AO and fine cross hair with a dot. I had played with the gun some, found out quickly it had a fast twist and loved anything between 180-225 gr slugs, cast or jacketed. I got it to shooting a ragged hole with a Noe 190 flat nose with a GC, lubed with Lyman Orange magic, running it around 1600fps. I cleaned the barrel and tried some 210 gr Bergers I had gotten somewhere, only had 20 of them and it shot them into half an inch at 100 yds. This was 2 years ago. I recently bought a pickup load of reloading stuff off of a buddy, who bought 3 pick up loads off one estate sale. I sold enough stuff at cheap prices and tripled my money with a few thousand bullets and a lot of powder left over. Part of what I kept, was 1200, 190 bthp Winchester .308 Match bullets, made I the 1970s, white boxes with the metal corners, or maybe earlier, all of the same lot. Has Match stamped on each box. I done a lot of research and loaded up some with H335, which should be a peppy 30/06 load, since this round is supposed to be close to .300 Win Mag when loaded to its true potential. I loaded 10 rounds of that load once, shot great, kicked the daylights out of me. The first 4 shots with the new load all overlapped into under half and inch, with the 5th shot hitting right above the group, touching with no paper between the holes. I was very pleased with the group, and recoil was pleasant! I shot another 5 with the same pattern, but a little tighter group, 4 in 2 holes overlapping, and the 5th was again, right on top. I was shooting these pretty quick, and as the barrel heats up it moves the zero, slightly I am thinking as one scope base is on the barrel, one on the action. Anyway I was pleased as punch with the results. Before I stopped I shot 4 more, a little more slowly, and did not shoot the 5th one. I was rewarded with2 overlapping bullet holes. I loaded up 50 more Krag cases to fireform with the same load. Going to give this girl a little more attention now.

slim1836
05-02-2024, 06:18 PM
Sounds like you have her dialed in. Congrats.

Slim