PDA

View Full Version : Bob’s Your Uncle

GregLaROCHE
05-01-2024, 10:11 AM
Since I’ve been watching videos about machining, I keep hearing the phrase “Bob’s your uncle. Where does it come from?
Thanks

cwtebay
05-01-2024, 10:25 AM
It basically means "there ya go". British. When you say Fanny's your aunt afterwards you are saying it's done and complete.
(But there is likely an explanation from someone as to why Bob and Fanny rather than Edith and Margaret)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GregLaROCHE
05-01-2024, 10:49 AM
Since I’ve been watching videos about machining, I keep hearing the phrase “Bob’s your uncle. Where does it come from?
Thanks

I figured something like that, but wonder why I’ve only heard it in reference to machining.

cwtebay
05-01-2024, 10:58 AM
I work with several Limey Canadian truckers that teach me far too many fun sayings!
May be that it's the circles we run with?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

K43
05-01-2024, 03:00 PM
It's used all the time for everything by Brits. Not just machining - it applies to anything you may be doing. My Aunt from England would say it sometimes. The hosts on the British car shows say it often. The English Lady in the cake baking show says it sometimes. It is generally used by men more often than women.
Just a saying for it's good, you're done with this, "A-OK", problem solved, no worries, good enough to carry on, you're golden, etc, etc, etc, etc.........................

trails4u
05-01-2024, 03:25 PM
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bobs-your-uncle.html

hoodat
05-01-2024, 03:35 PM
Yeah, my sister in OZ uses it all the time also. She may have picked it up in New Zealand, I'm not sure. She grew up around here where we talk pretty much like Texan Okies, and now she sounds like one to them limeys. jd

John Taylor
05-01-2024, 06:39 PM
My father was in England during WW2. He told me the women over there called their little boys " my little cock". After hearing what the Americans use that term for they quit using it.
The other thing that was seen quite often," Kilroy was here", with a drawing of a bald man looking over a fence and his hands on the fence.

GregLaROCHE
05-01-2024, 07:46 PM
Now things make sense. Growing up in the US, I never heard it, but now that I’m on the internet, I listen to English from all over the world. Thanks.

rancher1913
05-01-2024, 08:03 PM
ok got to say it...................................... well bobs your uncle ............. :-P

Texas by God
05-01-2024, 09:54 PM
About 27 years ago, my 2 year old nephew asked me what my name was.
I said “I’m Bob.”
He still calls me Uncle Bob after all this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver man
05-01-2024, 10:12 PM
A very common phrase used here in NZ and OZ,

405grain
05-01-2024, 10:47 PM
I used that phrase not too long ago. On every public gunsmithing forum since forever, keyboard commandos and armchair experts who repeat things they've heard like a flock of parrots, but have no actual machining or engineering skills, will tell you that you can't just turn down the shank on a large ring Mauser barrel and then re-thread it to fit a small ring action. They'll say things like "the threads won't clean up", or "You'll have to chase the threads", or "you need a special 55 degree threading tool", or some other excuse why it couldn't possibly work. Well, I centered up a new K98 barrel in the lathe, completely turned the threads off the shank, then still needed to reduce the shank's diameter by almost .010" so that it would be the correct .980" diameter, then threaded it for a small ring action. And, Bob's your uncle, It screwed right on a model 98 Turkish M38 like a champ. It's like saying "Just like that!" to those who might be dubious.

GhostHawk
05-02-2024, 06:09 AM
Wink wink nod nod bob's yer uncle. Yep, just like that.

In long version, "it can be done if you know what your doing, if you do not, your headed for disaster"

Bodean98
05-03-2024, 10:57 PM
Everyone should have an uncle Bob!
My uncle Bob is one unique character!!!!
:grin:
Bob is my uncle!

Green Frog
05-05-2024, 04:51 PM
I'm fascinated by the obscure origins of phrases. What I have been able to find upon studying the phrase in question is that once upon a time there was a person of authority whose name was Robert, and he was most generous toward his family, particularly his nephew. This practice became so prevalent and his nephew got so much undeserved help, that anything that happened easily to or for anyone, the response from bystanders was... "Bob's your uncle!" That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Froggie

PS For extra credit, confirm why "if the Good Lord's willing and the Creeks don't rise" has nothing to do with water or floods. Hint: See Muskogean Indians.

JohnForrest
05-19-2024, 08:56 AM
OK Bob's put to bed. Where the heck does, "And there's your dinner" come from? Terrel says that one sometimes.