PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out and downsizing

fatelk
04-30-2024, 05:14 PM
I know a lot of you all have gone through or at least considered this over the years: how to get rid of decades worth of accumulation? What a huge hassle!

I recently agreed to help an older acquaintance sort and sell off a lot of his stuff (regretting that now), and another friend had a health scare and has been asking me what to do with his gun collection.

He wants to seriously downsize his collection but doesn't know how to do it, and he also wants top dollar. He's one who can't stand the thought of taking a loss. I told him about the options I'm aware of: consignment at a local gun shop, Gunbroker, forums, gun shows, etc., and their pros and cons in terms of cost and time. He wants me to help him get a couple tables at a gun show to sell them, but I have a feeling that would be a lot of work with questionable results. I told him that getting top dollar would mean a lot of time and work, and to sell them all quickly would mean cutting prices. I just don't have the time or energy at this point to help him much, unfortunately, so he's on his own for now.

I've been helping another friend go through and sell off his accumulation of reloading stuff, and I've sure learned that I need to be able to say no when asked in the future. I can really see why people often sell stuff like this cheap as an estate sale. It just takes so much work to sort, come up with prices, list for sale, take payment, ship, etc.. I'm starting to think it's really not worth it at all.

All this has me convinced to curb my pack-rat tendencies, stop accumulating, and slowly start selling and reducing now, and focus on what's actually important in life. Hobbies are great, but obsessions not so much. I need to spend less time fiddling with old guns, and more time with my kids before they all fly the coop.

Anyhow, I suspect that I'm not the only one who has had these thoughts. Any ideas on how to effectively balance life and hobbies as one gets older? When you're young, you have time for toys but no money. A little older and we're usually working long hours, raising a family, paying bills,etc, and don't have a lot of time or money for toys. As we get older, we tend to have more resources and accumulate stuff we want. When one retires they have more time, but as the years continue to pass (from what I've see; I'm not there yet) interest wanes and you start to wonder what to do with all this stuff. I'm thinking that I want to start addressing this issue before I get to that point.

Shawlerbrook
04-30-2024, 05:49 PM
Your help is admirable, but with the friend worrying about getting every penny I fear your job will be frustrating. Liquidation sales very seldom bring back top dollar.

country gent
04-30-2024, 06:03 PM
I find it surprising what things bring at a Good auction house. The local one here has several gun auctions a year. Big crowd astounding prices and little work for the owners. We used them on dads estate and everything went good. You pay a percentage for them to sell but its quick and easy and done in usually one weekend. I would call and talk with one of the locals and see what they say offer. The local here also does the 4473 and back ground checks.

The problem with gun shows is the time expended Seldom do you sell out at current prices in one weekend. This means loading and unloading several weekend and weekends tied up. Also some shows have restrictions as what can be sold on the tables.

Ive never dealt with gunbroker or internet sales so can comment there. But coming up with proper shipping containers shipping and that on a large collection could become a big expenditure of time. Dealing with shipping is a hassle I wouldnt want either.

The one thing I recommend is the gear be stored of site as advertising, shows, or auction bills show what is there and are a attraction to undesirables everywhere.

RickinTN
04-30-2024, 07:16 PM
Also keep in mind that Gunbroker sales will generate a 1099 come tax time. I'm not about to pay income taxes on my guns. Some would be a loss.
Rick

fatelk
04-30-2024, 11:28 PM
I already told him I don't have time for a gun show. There is an auction house in easy driving distance. I'll encourage him to check into that. The sad part is that he just found out that the cancer is back, so after this round of treatments, he's probably going to really want to be getting rid of things.

I think I'm also going to tell my other friend that I just don't have time to help him get rid of his reloading stuff either at this time. It's been a much bigger hassle than expected, he also wants close to top dollar, and I've accidentally run afoul of the rules in the trader section here, adding to my frustration in trying to help someone. I've got a full time+ job to work and a family to try to keep up with. I'll take care of what's currently selling and wash my hands of the whole thing.

In the coming years, I'm going to be slowly downsizing my own stuff. This has really taught me that I don't want to be in that boat 20 years from now, having too much stuff and not knowing what to do with it.

Winger Ed.
04-30-2024, 11:52 PM
After agreeing to 'help' a few folks, I've seen how easily it can easily turn into me doing the project for them.

I've also learned to beware of conversations that start out with, "All ya gotta do,,,,".

The 'top dollar' part--- There's a chance no matter what or how much you do, it won't be enough, and you ripped him off.
I'd run from that one.

dverna
05-01-2024, 12:08 AM
After agreeing to 'help' a few folks, I've seen how easily it can easily turn into me doing the project for them.

I've also learned to beware of conversations that start out with, "All ya gotta do,,,,".

The 'top dollar' part--- There's a chance no matter what or how much you do, it won't be enough, and you ripped him off.
I'd run from that one.

Really wise advice.

As to the OP. I have been downsizing for the last 15 years. You eat the elephant one bite at a time. Still have more stuff to sell.

I used GunBroker, and sold competition guns on the forums that deal with those sports. Sold a couple here as well.

Be careful of auction houses. Some are good and some not. One guy I know got about 50% of the value he expected when he liquidated the high end collection of glass his late wife had accumulated over decades.

fatelk
05-01-2024, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys. You're reinforcing my decision to decline. I've helped a lot of friends and acquaintances over the years; minor gunsmithing, reloading help, buying or selling a gun, etc.. Some people are highly appreciative, and I've made friends for life, where others seem to take it for granted without realizing or appreciating my time and effort. I've learned to be very choosy in who I help or ask for help. The guy who wants to sell off his collection is a good guy, but I can see problems here and I just don't have the time or energy to get involved.

I think when I get to the point of selling off my own random reloading stuff, I'll sell it cheap just to make it easy. Sorting through this stuff has been a headache, and it's really not worth the time and effort to try to get every last dollar.

Thanks for the warning Don. I have heard mixed feedback about auction houses. Does anyone know anything about Ward's Auctions in Dallas, OR?

barnabus
05-01-2024, 05:28 AM

I'd run from that one.

i agree his problem and his mess. everyone must take ownership of the ness they created. Tell him to call an auction house

Jack Russel
05-01-2024, 06:23 AM
I helped a friends widow sell his stuff. It took 2 years and a lot of convincing her that things wer'nt worth what she thought.

Barry54
05-01-2024, 07:11 AM
I took a paper midway catalog to a widows yard sale years back. I offered 1/2 of then current new prices for used stuff. Helped her determine the value of some other stuff.
Some dies for a 357/45 or some other wildcat were there. Couldn’t get to see any firearms...

And remember! “Time is money”

MrWolf
05-01-2024, 08:30 AM
You are helping by pointing them in the right direction and offering advice. After that a polite "sorry I can't do more but you should be fine" will have to suffice. You are in a no win situation and starting to see what may be I your future. For myself, I have taken the approach that I really enjoy what I have and will continue to do so till I am dead. I have told my kids it is up to them if they want to keep, sell, etc. If they want money, then they need to do a lil work to get whatever prices. They are getting it for free so... Have an ex after 30 years who decided living with a disabled guy was no fun and got lucky with a woman who is great. She knows everything I have is for my kids and that she will have a roof over her head after I am gone via my will. Maybe getting selfish but I am hurt and tired and figure I deserve my little hobbies. My gf agrees with me. Good luck to you on whatever you decide but remember you only get one life so if your enjoyment means someone getting something for nothing involving a lil work to dispose of, oh well.
Ron

dverna
05-01-2024, 08:34 AM
There are friends and there are "friends".

I have been asked to help my friend sell all his stuff when he passes. He has bequeathed me his Silver Sietz trap gun ($11-13k). I will sell his generous gift, deduct any expenses I incur, and give the rest to his widow. We shot and competed together for many years, and he was part of my faith journey.

I know she does not need the money, but I do not need it either.

I would not get involved helping a "friend" who is using me. There is a ton of work involved and I like the comment from barnabus. "his problem and his mess. everyone must take ownership of the mess they created."

Bloodman14
05-01-2024, 05:24 PM
Ever try selling a custom car? You will NEVER get out of it what you put into it.

JimB..
05-01-2024, 05:34 PM
So a “friend” wants you to work for free and get him top dollar. The warning signs are blindingly bright on this “opportunity.”

Best to tell him/her how disappointed you are that you don’t have the time to do the project justice.

Shawlerbrook
05-01-2024, 05:45 PM
“ Hell is paved with good intentions.”

elmacgyver0
05-01-2024, 06:19 PM
Tell him you will get him "top dollar", but it's going to cost him 30% of the top.

fatelk
05-01-2024, 06:32 PM
I can see that you guys understand very well. :)

There are friends and there are "friends".

Isn’t that true! You know what they say: a friend is someone who will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend is in there with you.

I have a very few solid lifelong friends who I would do most anything for. One friend of mine helped me roof my house last summer. It was a big job that I couldn’t have done without him. He mentioned that he was interested in getting into reloading, so I went through all my spare stuff and set him up with most everything he needs to get started, including a good old RCBS Jr press.

nicholst55
05-01-2024, 08:53 PM
Tell him you will get him "top dollar", but it's going to cost him 30% of the top.

That's what attorneys frequently charge when receiving compensation from class action suits. Seems fair to me.

Winger Ed.
05-01-2024, 09:40 PM
I helped a friends widow sell his stuff. It took 2 years and a lot of convincing her that things wer'nt worth what she thought.

A life long friend got into one of those deals.
A widow friend of a friend who was incredibly wealthy.
They lived in one of those houses so big, it should have its own ZIP code.
Her late husband had quite a few guns. Some antiques, some he hunted with.
They didn't want their kids to have them, and she wanted them out of the house after he passed away.

He explained the value of them, and what it would take to get a decent price.
She listened, and told him, "I don't care. I just want them gone".
Some went for a almost fair price, some pennies on the dollar.
But she was happy. It was one less thing she had to think about.

Handloader109
05-01-2024, 09:56 PM
Yeah, run, like fast, away from the friend that has to have top dollar. But auction is most likely to get him as close to that as he will ever get any other way. Things like gunbroker ain't it. Shipping is a killer. Packaging is a pita. I've got a house full of stuff, and most likely I'll live longer than my wife and I'll deal with it most likely then. Lots of woodworking stuff along with guns and reloading. My daughter may end up dealing with lots too. Sell for what you can get for it and move on. Very few things will bring what you think, or paid for them.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

jaysouth
05-02-2024, 12:49 AM
Closer to 80 than 70, my guns have a tag on the trigger guard naming the relative who will get it. Reloading equipment, components and molds are going to a 40 something friend who is an avid caster/reloader comes and hauls off the stuff my family does not want to deal with.

john.k
05-02-2024, 04:57 AM
I dont care who gets my stuff ....once Im gone,I certainly wont care .............the fight will be over the land value ,worth a million times what a few guns and motorbikes are ...............I probably should sell out and make a trust ......too much hassle.

Ohio Rusty
05-02-2024, 07:43 AM
He could always put much of the reloading stuff and moulds on EBAY then set a starting price of what he would like to get. If he gets a little more than what he set his starting price at, he would be happy with that. It can set on EBAY forever until he get the top dollar price he is looking for, then you are out of the picture helping him sell his stuff. On EBAY, he will get hundreds of people looking at his goods for weeks and weeks. Much better than just one weekend at a gunshow.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Jadkins87
05-02-2024, 08:29 AM
It's tough to say no to helping a close friend but thier comes a time we may have to.. On selling stuff off it's very time consuming to sale for top dollar .. As I believe someone else stated an auction would be the best option on a bigger collection of stuff.. Just find 1 that deals with the type of stuff he has to sale and that has good rating and review's.. 1 that advertises and promotes their auction's.. I have seen several estate collection's bring 20% plus above the highest appraisals. Growing up around auctions and my father in-law being a retired auctioneer.. That's how I want mine sold off if the kids don't take it all lol..

God Bless

JDAS

ascast
05-02-2024, 09:32 AM
my two cents - I bought a backhoe and I am taking it all with me.

all this is true - small stuff for ebay etc. but tax and shipping have knocked down sale prices. Maybe you'll get 2-3 guys that must have your item, maybe not.
Single sales over time will maximize return, but you'll spend years.
I have a friend who will drive down and buy it all at once if you want to go that way, but at 50-60% of estimated value.

Tell your friend what the consensus is here. That should be helpful enough.

fatelk
05-02-2024, 10:53 AM
Something I’ve learned over the years is that often it’s really more about numbers than it is about money. Some people can’t stand to let go of anything for less than they “have into it”. For some it’s also a matter of pride to make a profit, even if it’s only a dollar.

I used to be more that way myself, until I realized how silly it was. Am I really going to spend a couple hours fiddling with something, selling, packing, shipping, etc., for an extra five bucks? I got called out in the middle of the night a couple days ago, was at work for about an hour to fix a machine, made a couple hundred bucks and didn’t think anything about it.

Maybe it’s in the genes though. My grandfather farmed through the depression, and when I was young I remember watching him spend all day in the shop rebuilding an inexpensive tool, instead of driving in to the hardware store and spending five bucks on a new one. Waste not, want not, except when it comes to time…

blackthorn
05-02-2024, 11:30 AM
Quote "Maybe it’s in the genes though. My grandfather farmed through the depression, and when I was young I remember watching him spend all day in the shop rebuilding an inexpensive tool, instead of driving in to the hardware store and spending five bucks on a new one. Waste not, want not, except when it comes to time…"

And sometimes it is the journey and not the destination!

cabezaverde
05-02-2024, 12:28 PM
Been thinking about doing this too. Don’t want to stick my kids with it.

fatelk
05-02-2024, 01:14 PM
And sometimes it is the journey and not the destination!

There is that, too. Nothing wrong with wasting time doing something impractical if it’s something you enjoy, we do that sort of thing all the time with certain aspects of reloading and casting. My grandfather did enjoy tinkering.

Like everything, there has to be a balance. I watched my dad make some poor business decisions, in an effort to save money by doing things himself. One time when I was a young man still at home on the farm, the price of timber was at an all-time high, so he decided to log the back 40. He had a logging outfit come look at it, but they wanted a big chunk of the profit so he decided we could do it ourselves.

He and I spent weeks rebuilding the transmission on our old D6 Caterpillar, them more weeks out in the woods logging. My uncle had worked in the woods as a faller and he helped, but we were slow because we weren’t loggers. By the time we got the logs to market, prices had dropped, and we ended up with about the same as we would have had after the logging company had taken their cut, so in essence we had worked really hard for over a month for nothing.

Ironically, a friend had told him that that’s what was likely to happen if he delayed, but he just couldn’t stand the thought of someone else getting his profits on those trees.

Nines&Twos
05-02-2024, 01:41 PM
my two cents - I bought a backhoe and I am taking it all with me.

I'm taking mine too! I'm hoping to find someone that does cremation with a plasma arc furnace. 3000+ degrees ought turn me and my favorite toys into an easily buryable handful of slag.

abunaitoo
05-02-2024, 03:57 PM
I'm thinking about downsizing, but stuff I want always turns up.
I've helped a few people get rid of stuff.
I've found it always depends on the person.
If they want "top dollar" I pass on them.
It's not worth the wasted time.
Then there are those who, the first thing out of their mouth is " I'll pay you".
I stay away from them.
All it means is your going to do all the work, they way they tell you to.
Worse is the family trying to get rid of his stuff.
They almost always want gold for everything.
Nothing but trouble, and a huge waste of time.
Those I tend to help just trust me to "help" them clean out stuff.
Things go so much faster and with less drama.
I've found that if money is the main concern, it's just not worth the time.

Adam Helmer
05-02-2024, 03:58 PM
I have helped several widows get top dollar for the deceased's stuff by posting a notice in the gun clubs they belonged to in life. Long guns are no problem in this state to adults and handguns go through an FFL or the Sheriff.

As an appraiser, I set the range of prices on much nice stuff and the widows were not robbed. Shop local and sell local, when you can. No need to ship stuff and all the other hassles. All nice guns were sold locally without an auctioneer's fee, etc.

Be well.

Adam

cabezaverde
05-02-2024, 04:07 PM
There is a lot to be said for dropping the items off at the auctioneer who gets a lot of visibility and simply cashing the check when it comes in.

Bruce in WV
05-02-2024, 05:35 PM
You might consider selling ("for $1 and other good and valuable consideration" on a bill of sale) some of your everyday guns, ammo, accessories and reloading stuff to homesteaders in your area that you sympathize with. Groups and small family farms, operating on a shoestring, need to control predators, harvest game, and protect themselves from bad actors. They can use rimfire and centerfire rifles and handguns, and shotguns, and can use the reloading stuff to keep them running when there's no spare money for ammo. You're not making any money, it's not deductible, but makes you feel good, and you can't put a dollar value on that.
Use a friendly FFL and stay clear of the new ATF transfer traps.

Duckiller
05-02-2024, 05:46 PM
At 81 it is not a problem. Fortunately I have two sons and a daughter that like to shoot. #2 son has worked at a couple of gun stores. That got dad into stuff. The family has at least four safes full of guns. Grand daughter ,age 4 likes to go Turkey hunting with dad , uncle and grandfather. Not sure about grandson age 2. I have guns that none of them want and they will sell them. the rest will be split among them. With this in mind I can buy a gun now and then. May have to buy a Cricket soon or two.

Rapier
05-02-2024, 05:47 PM
The US Constitution says all citizens have the right to sell or trade private property. An as a representative of the owner, acting for the owner and in their behalf you can sell the property that you do not own or receive benifit from the sale.

john.k
05-02-2024, 07:07 PM
I dont see why I should give everything away just because Im old .....sell this ,sell that ,get rid of the motorbikes ,get rid of the lathes ...etc ...etc.......why?

fatelk
05-02-2024, 08:35 PM
I dont see why I should give everything away just because Im old .....sell this ,sell that ,get rid of the motorbikes ,get rid of the lathes ...etc ...etc.......why?

No reason at all. If you still enjoy your stuff and have no reason to part with it, I see no reason whatsoever to get rid of it.

I'm still relatively young (ish) compared to a lot of you all, but I've got a lot of stuff that I haven't used in years, and probably won't, so I'm feeling the need to thin it out and use the money for other things.

WRideout
05-03-2024, 10:45 AM
At age seventy-one I am still buying cheap guns for which I have to spend a fortune on reloading and casting equipment. I am hopeful that in the event of my demise, one of our children will assist my wife in migrating all this to the next user. Unfortunately she has never taken up the grand hobby of casting and reloading (sigh.)

Wayne

Texas by God
05-03-2024, 11:33 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240503/dab8a330de15ee8d1006ffe90c61f4fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

max it
05-03-2024, 12:37 PM
HI Ya, I am reminded of the colloquialism" no good deed goes unpunished".
Much obliged, Max

ulav8r
05-04-2024, 10:34 PM
Several years back my granddaughter was talking the her mom about their guns. Granddaughter told her mom, I will inherit Grandpa and Granddad's guns, then yours and Dad's. I will have lots of guns.

35 Rem
05-04-2024, 10:58 PM

I agree. It has surprised me to see so many shooters that think they have to get rid of all their guns before they die because it will be too much bother to their kids to have to get rid of it once they are gone. I don't see the logic in that at all. First off, most of us don't know when we are going to die. What if you give most of them away then are suddenly stricken with years of great health? Do you give up shooting and just sit and wait to die? Or do you go out and buy similar guns back at current higher prices to have something to do while waiting to die? Secondly, the kids are getting all this stuff for free so surely, they think enough of you to not consider it a huge burden to have to deal with your stuff after you are gone? This mindset is completely foreign to me. I inherited a farm from my Father and he got it from his Father. Neither of them sold anything when they got old. Nothing. I don't plan to either.

kaiser
05-05-2024, 12:07 AM
I'm going through that phase of my life and have two "off spring" that are "polar" opposites in that category; one is a "saver" of heirlooms, and the other a "Thrower". My "survivors" will have to determine the "winner" after I'm gone; for I will enjoy my hobbies as long as they give me pleasure from use, or ownership. I will endeavor to insure my possessions never "own me", for they are only inanimate objects. My .02

waksupi
05-05-2024, 11:02 AM
I've got rid of quite a bit of the stuff I had collected over the years. That doesn't stop me from accumulating more, though!
My latest thing to do is to look for quality level wind bait casting reels. I find a lot of cheap ones, but few of quality. Most remind me of the back lashing SOB's from 65 years ago.
There was a valley wide yard sale this weekend. I've learned to not even bother with ones at houses built within the past 20-30 years. They don't have much, aside from clothes, kids toys, and cheap furniture. The old farms where families have lived for 40-50+ years is where I find treasures.
Regardless of my good intentions, my family will still have a lot to sort through!

deltaenterprizes
05-05-2024, 12:24 PM
I am getting to the point of downsizing because I don’t have anyone to leave my hobby stuff to!
I recently went to a couple of estate sales where they were selling tools for pennies on the dollar!
My wife has no clue as to what my guns, reloading equipment and machine shop tools are worth and I don’t believe that she would take the time to research the value or take the time to sell them for decent money.
I guess since I have gotten some of the tools at estate sales at a good price history will repeat it self unless I dispose of my stuff when I get too sick to use them like a friend of mine did.

Foghorn Legdorn
05-05-2024, 01:36 PM
I just dumped a ton of reloading stuff on FB Marketplace because it was starting to build up. I posted the stuff a little below what I thought it was worth individually but then offered huge discounts on taking multiple items. My goal is to buy space and time, so I was happy to sell well below what it was worth if it meant only dealing with a couple of people instead of droves of lowballers and tire kickers. Took less than a week to move a lot of stuff.

I am now about to do something similar with my wife's uncle's estate on behalf of her aunt (wow, that's a lot to follow lol), but that is mostly firearm. I just sent her the low to high values, and when we talk next the conversation will be around her goals. I think time is more important to her than money, but you never really know what people are dealing with behind the scenes, so we will see. No matter what she decides, I'll start with my network which includes friends, family, and my contacts at the local sportsman's clubs. How fast it moves will depend on her goals.

One thing I have no interest in is shipping anything. Way too many scammers and they are getting much better at their craft, unfortunately.

lightman
05-05-2024, 02:03 PM
Good Luck with helping your friend! There are tons of excuses that you can use if you just don't want to do this for him. Use your imagination and your counconce.
I started downsizing back during the Obama shortages, again in 2015 when I retired and again when the Pandemic started. I ask the boys if they wanted any of the stuff before I sold it. A friend with an FFL sold the guns for me on Gunbroker and me and a buddy split a table at a local gun show to sell the other stuff.

Four-Sixty
05-05-2024, 02:22 PM
I plan to gift some of my firearms to people well before I pass. I think it'll be fun to give presents and see the responses while I'm alive.

ddeck22
05-05-2024, 05:09 PM
I feel for you. I am lucky in that I am constantly reviewing the stuff I have and selling things. I don't want anyone to have to go through a ton of stuff in case anything happens to me.

I know that some people want top dollar since they know that it won't sell. They just can't seem to let go of stuff.

The best thing to do is move. When moving, you purge things and think about what you really want to hang on to. This can clear up a lot of unnecessary stuff.

cervelorod
05-05-2024, 07:42 PM
You’re telling me I finally get to a point I can afford all the things I always wanted and I need to sell them all before I die? It took me way to long to get to this point then…

fatelk
05-06-2024, 12:11 AM
It's a very personal thing; I don't think anyone is telling anyone else what they should or shouldn't do with their stuff.

shooterg
05-06-2024, 01:34 PM
Been there , done that . A lot of time but worth it to me to help at that point - much of it was sold here. Later told another widow I was too busy, wait a bit and I'd help .
Meanwhile one of the husbands "friends" offered her $500 for everyhing in the basement and made off with at least 20 times that . Cans and cans of surplus GI ammo, reloading stuff, casting, shop tools, gun safe and contents.
My wife knows who's really a "friend" and which local auctioneer to go to . They now get 15% on top plus tax and since they list online also, the prices they're getting are as much/more than a storefront ! Crazy what folks do when the bidding starts !!
Also, only have one grandson, he has dibs, can keep as much or as little of it as he wishes . Whtever you do, just quit fretting, load some rounds up, go and shoot something and let the worries go downrange .

fatelk
05-06-2024, 02:48 PM
Meanwhile one of the husbands "friends" offered her $500 for everyhing in the basement and made off with at least 20 times that . Cans and cans of surplus GI ammo, reloading stuff, casting, shop tools, gun safe and contents.

Wow, that’s sad, and a perfect example of why we plan, so those we leave behind don’t get ripped off. Makes you wonder how people like that live with themselves.

I bought a reloading estate about 15 years ago, from a widow. I felt a little bad for offering $500 because full value was about double that (and I told her that), but in retrospect that was probably pretty fair, and more than she would have gotten elsewhere. My buddy who knew the family decided he was entitled to part of it as a “finder’s fee”, so there ended up being very little profit, but oh well. I was out of work at the time, after the 2008 crash, and didn’t really have money to spare.

Considering the money and time involved, the potential for hurt feelings and unrealistic expectations, I shy away from stuff like this in general. I’m encouraging my friend who’s cleaning out his excess reloading stuff to start selling it cheap if he’s serious about getting rid of it because I just don’t have the time and energy to help much more; either that or learn to use the internet himself. He did give me a brick of primers for my troubles though.

All this reminds me of a story another friend told me some time back, about helping move his elderly grandfather out of his house and into assisted care. It was a huge job figuring out what to do with everything, and grandfather was furious the whole time because he was attached to all his stuff. He kept saying that he didn’t understand: he work his whole life to accumulate all his treasures, and now he couldn’t keep it. (I think they were careful to respect his wishes as much as possible)

Absolutely nothing wrong with having nice stuff, but this makes me think I should focus on building up a different kind of treasure in my life…

Ed K
05-07-2024, 11:59 PM
It's a very personal thing; I don't think anyone is telling anyone else what they should or shouldn't do with their stuff.

Completely agree. For example there's nothing wrong with a man having 20 44 mag revolvers however I was able to decide I didn't need the six I had - especially as I only used 1 or two over the past decade. That said made a personal decision to downsize. I'm the kind of person that does not spend impulsively but perhaps ruminates excessively prior to purchasing. This can make it harder to part with things so starting early, being selective and trying to get decent prices. Sold a little here, other forums, LGS consignment, Gunbroker, etc. really spread it around. The gun/reloading/casting hoard has been cut at least in half the over the past 12-18 months. Yes, I take responsibility for creating the mess in the first place and have been pleased to be have been able to play with all these toys over the years but I am capable of being happy with a basic "set". Between shippers not wanting to deal with non-FFLs, brokers looking to 1099, and the general political environment this isn't going to get any easier. And no I'm not offering to do this for anyone else.

Wag
05-09-2024, 07:19 AM
If I sell something for less than its "worth" I consider the difference to be rent for the use I had over the years.

I don't have kids and my friends are all the same age I am so it is very likely that I'll just sell everything. The question is going to be timing. I don't know if I'll live to be 80 so do I sell it all now and miss out on some of that rent?

--Wag--

BJung
05-09-2024, 10:57 AM
I've noticed that old people try to give away their stuff when the end seems near. I'm not there yet but I've had a Toy Box rule of thumb. Honestly, I make exceptions because where am I going to put all those cans of brass and lead and guns I've collected! Besides those, I use two military aluminum medical boxes. Any reloading and archery related tools must fit in it. I've expanded the rule as I admit. All my stuff must fit in a hall closet and a corner of my garage. Or, it should be able to fit in back of my small pickup truck bed.