View Full Version : Surgery Tomorrow...

jdgabbard
04-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Having a bilateral inguinal hernia surgery tomorrow morning. Ended up having one on either side about two weeks ago, and let me tell you, this ain't fun. Doc says the surgery is pretty routine, and recovery should be less than a week. He actually doesn't place any restrictions on anyone after the surgery. So I guess he is pretty sure of his work, which I guess would probably be the case after nearly 40 years of doing them. It's laparoscopic, so I'm not really worried or anything... Matter of fact, he didn't even bother to prescribe antibiotics from what I can tell....though he did call in a prescription for pain meds.

But things can and sometimes do go wrong with surgery. So if for some reason I end up taking the forever nap, it's been fun fellas! And if I'm back to posting tomorrow afternoon or the next day, here is to hoping I got another 16+ years giving you guys a hard time.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-29-2024, 08:36 PM
Best wishes for a fast recovery. I'll say a little prayer for you're wellbeing.

DG

nvbirdman
04-29-2024, 08:39 PM
Looking forward to your next post.

DeuceTwo
04-29-2024, 08:40 PM
You'll be fine. Walk as much as you can when you first get home to help get the air out of your abdominal cavity, it will make a huge difference for your sleep that night.

armoredman
04-29-2024, 08:45 PM
Best of luck sir, see you soon.

steve urquell
04-29-2024, 08:52 PM
Good luck on the surgery. Walk plenty after, drink plenty of water and take stool softeners. It's really easy to get locked up after this surgery. You don't want that. I do PT in a hospital for a living.

jdgabbard
04-29-2024, 09:01 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm sure it'll be fine. More of a just in case...

Good luck on the surgery. Walk plenty after, drink plenty of water and take stool softeners. It's really easy to get locked up after this surgery. You don't want that. I do PT in a hospital for a living.

Thanks, I've got Colace and plenty of Magnesium Citrate.

dverna
04-29-2024, 09:12 PM
Making wasp loads is good therapy. Good luck.

steve urquell
04-29-2024, 09:14 PM
Making wasp loads is good therapy. Good luck.

:lol:

deces
04-29-2024, 09:17 PM
Just make sure you don't have to change a tire the day after surgery and everything will be fine. Oh yeah, they say to Ice the area down there afterwards. Make sure to do that too..

max it
04-29-2024, 09:28 PM
All the best,
I've been there, piece of cake.

pworley1
04-29-2024, 09:42 PM
Praying for you now and in the days to come. Best wishes for your quick recovery.

Sig556r
04-29-2024, 09:52 PM
Healing prayers & comfort…good luck

Txcowboy52
04-29-2024, 09:58 PM
Good luck to you sir! Prayers

jednorris
04-29-2024, 10:15 PM
I wish you well from North Carolina. I am going in Thursday for rotator cup surgery.

john.k
04-29-2024, 10:24 PM
I had a right side hernia done last year ......surgeon said I left it go too long (due to covid) and he had to do a 5" long incision to get my guts pushed back in..........anyhoo,never felt a thing ,then or since .......never took even one of the painkillers ........havent felt anything since .............and on top of it all,I got a refund from the hospital for one day they charged me I never used...........total cost was under $7000 ,all done privately ,no insurance.

Murphy
04-29-2024, 10:34 PM
Sending up a prayer for a great outcome. As already posted, please let us know how it goes tomorrow evening.

Murphy

45workhorse
04-29-2024, 11:43 PM
Good luck.
Hope everything goes good!

cwtebay
04-29-2024, 11:49 PM
Hope it goes well!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Markopolo
04-30-2024, 12:23 AM
You Oklahoma boys are pretty tough,, you will whup it’s Butt!!

deces
04-30-2024, 12:32 AM
Fair warning, your gonads might look like the Dr. used them as a speedbag when you wake up.

Shawlerbrook
04-30-2024, 05:57 AM
Had the right side done in 2013 and left in 2018 . Shot a buck with my bow 20 days after in 2013. Used mesh back then but not in 2018. Ditto on stool softeners and drinking plenty of fluids after. Advil and heating pad took care of any pain. Prayers for an easy recovery.

wch
04-30-2024, 06:14 AM
Good luck to you, I'll be waiting for your next post!

MrWolf
04-30-2024, 07:21 AM
Just saw this. Best of luck and hopefully recovery will be as short as the doc says.

Eddie Southgate
04-30-2024, 07:37 AM
Good Luck.

georgerkahn
04-30-2024, 08:11 AM
My thoughts with ANYTHING medical is that the doctors HAVE to keep us going to enable them to get MORE money from me!!! :) BEST wishes!
geo

WRideout
04-30-2024, 08:15 AM
God's blessings on you JD. I always appreciated your thoughtful and well-written posts here. It looks like you have a lot of friends.

Wayne

Texas by God
04-30-2024, 08:49 AM
Here’s hoping that it goes well, prayers sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lightman
04-30-2024, 03:16 PM
I'm just seeing this. By now its probably over and you're back home. Hope it went well and you have a quick recovery.

jdgabbard
04-30-2024, 03:39 PM
Welp, the Reaper didn’t get me. Surgery went well for the most part, and was over and done in 30 minutes. But I’ve been dealing with the pain all day. Lower abs and hip flexors are REALLY SORE. But at least I don’t have my guts dangling like before.

Took a pain pill earlier, and I have been up walking around the house to try and loosen up the abs. Definitely going to have some scares. The incisions are large for laparoscopic. And I’ve got to wear a very uncomfortable jock strap for he next day or two. But I’m still planning on returning to work on Thursday, pain permitting. But I also have to follow up with the doc in a week.

As for the ‘went mostly well’ part. Had a slight hiccup where they’re concerned about my hearth rhythm. Forgot what they called it, but basically told me I need to see my primary about getting an EKG. And then I think they also tried ripping the catheter out before deflating it completely - I’m pretty tender when using the tool on #1.

That said, thank you all for the well wishes! I’m glad I get to continue forcing you all to question my sanity!

Beerd
04-30-2024, 04:54 PM
^^^^ awesome :awesome: (mostly)

Bull
04-30-2024, 05:13 PM
Just saw this. Glad it did I pretty well. Anyway you can’t leave yet. I like reading your posts, and so do a lot of others.

GONRA
04-30-2024, 05:50 PM
GONRA sez - sounds like yer Just Fine! !!
Glad to hear it went smooooothly ! !!
Time to get back to SHOOTIIN' !!!!

Shawlerbrook
04-30-2024, 05:54 PM
:awesome:

popper
04-30-2024, 06:08 PM
Had double done a loong time ago, doc told me to quit riding MC for a while. Otherwise, pain recovery but healing was complete. Just move slow and don't over stretch anything.

jdgabbard
04-30-2024, 06:40 PM
Fair warning, your gonads might look like the Dr. used them as a speedbag when you wake up.

Well, I haven't tried bending over to look at them due to the pain, but I can say that they don't seem to hurt. My abs on the other hand... I Told the nurse I felt like Mike Tyson punched me in the guts a few times.

My thoughts with ANYTHING medical is that the doctors HAVE to keep us going to enable them to get MORE money from me!!! :) BEST wishes!
geo

Yeah, they definitely want to keep me alive long enough to get their 30% of the payment out of me.

God's blessings on you JD. I always appreciated your thoughtful and well-written posts here. It looks like you have a lot of friends.

Wayne

I just annoy enough people to convince them that I might be a nut, but I'm "their nut". ;)

steve urquell
04-30-2024, 06:55 PM
Welp, the Reaper didn’t get me. Surgery went well for the most part, and was over and done in 30 minutes. But I’ve been dealing with the pain all day. Lower abs and hip flexors are REALLY SORE. But at least I don’t have my guts dangling like before.

Took a pain pill earlier, and I have been up walking around the house to try and loosen up the abs. Definitely going to have some scares. The incisions are large for laparoscopic. And I’ve got to wear a very uncomfortable jock strap for he next day or two. But I’m still planning on returning to work on Thursday, pain permitting. But I also have to follow up with the doc in a week.

As for the ‘went mostly well’ part. Had a slight hiccup where they’re concerned about my hearth rhythm. Forgot what they called it, but basically told me I need to see my primary about getting an EKG. And then I think they also tried ripping the catheter out before deflating it completely - I’m pretty tender when using the tool on #1.

That said, thank you all for the well wishes! I’m glad I get to continue forcing you all to question my sanity!

Glad it went well. My lap patients are about in as much or more pain than my incisional ones. My surgeon went right up the middle to fix my umbilical hernia. I asked him about lap and he said "Nah, I can go right in the middle, I don't need to separate all that tissue in the sides of your abdomen with a scope and instruments and you'll have less pain." He was right.

Follow up on the heart rhythm with cards. A-fib or other arrhythmia puts you at high risk for stroke.

jdgabbard
04-30-2024, 06:58 PM
Glad it went well. My lap patients are about in as much or more pain than my incisional ones. My surgeon went right up the middle to fix my umbilical hernia. I asked him about lap and he said "Nah, I can go right in the middle, I don't need to separate all that tissue in the sides of your abdomen with a scope and instruments and you'll have less pain." He was right.

Follow up on the heart rhythm with cards. A-fib or other arrhythmia puts you at high risk for stroke.

Will do. They described it to me as every other beat it was like there was an extra beat. But they didn't think it was of enough concern to call off the surgery.

Rickf1985
04-30-2024, 08:04 PM
I am looking at this procedure somewhere in the future so watching how you do. Glad it al went well.

jdgabbard
04-30-2024, 08:14 PM
I am looking at this procedure somewhere in the future so watching how you do. Glad it al went well.

Man, if yours is anywhere near as bad as mine was before the surgery don’t put it off. I had a pretty large hernia, so it wasn’t a need this done yesterday situation. But it also wasn’t a can wait a few weeks situation. It was to the point that I was having issues walking. Now I’m good but for the pain from the surgery. But they say that passes after a few days. And you’re back at it after a week.

steve urquell
04-30-2024, 08:28 PM
I waited waay too long on the umbilical hernia repair as well. All the years of suffereing that could have been fixed. Get er dun.

Murphy
04-30-2024, 10:32 PM
jdgabbard,

Glad to hear it all went well. While it isn't fun, I'd take heed about your possible heart rhythm issue and make an appointment soon to have that checked out. Afib is sneaky as a snake and nothing to mess with.

Murphy

jdgabbard
04-30-2024, 10:34 PM
jdgabbard,

Glad to hear it all went well. While it isn't fun, I'd take heed about your possible heart rhythm issue and make an appointment soon to have that checked out. Afib is sneaky as a snake and nothing to mess with.

Murphy

Noted! I’m already planning on speaking to the doc about having an EKG done once I’m done recovering from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickinTN
04-30-2024, 11:08 PM
Glad to see you posting and glad all went well.
Rick

WILCO
04-30-2024, 11:20 PM
Just saw this. Glad it did I pretty well. Anyway you can’t leave yet. I like reading your posts, and so do a lot of others.

Yes!!!!

jdgabbard
05-01-2024, 12:01 AM

Thanks, Bull. I guess I'm sorta like a cockroach. You never can get completely rid of me...

Had double done a loong time ago, doc told me to quit riding MC for a while. Otherwise, pain recovery but healing was complete. Just move slow and don't over stretch anything.

Trying to take it slow. Doing lots of walking around though. Figure that should help with the muscle soreness.

Glad to see you posting and glad all went well.
Rick

Thankfully I'm still here causing problems. ;)

Yes!!!!

Thanks, just doing my part. ;)

MrWolf
05-01-2024, 08:44 AM
Man, if yours is anywhere near as bad as mine was before the surgery don’t put it off. I had a pretty large hernia, so it wasn’t a need this done yesterday situation. But it also wasn’t a can wait a few weeks situation. It was to the point that I was having issues walking. Now I’m good but for the pain from the surgery. But they say that passes after a few days. And you’re back at it after a week.

Take your time and heal before going back to work. Taking an extra day or two now could save you weeks of additional pain. I tend to not believe the docs recovery time and always pushed it - not this time it hurts. Be smart, work will always be there.

farmerjim
05-01-2024, 10:34 AM
Glad you are doing well. I have had all 3 done. Left lower was the worst, laparoscopic with mesh.

jdgabbard
05-01-2024, 11:24 AM
Take your time and heal before going back to work. Taking an extra day or two now could save you weeks of additional pain. I tend to not believe the docs recovery time and always pushed it - not this time it hurts. Be smart, work will always be there.

To be honest, at my Job, if I decided to take a month off with no notice they wouldn't bat an eye. My boss would ask if there is anything he could do for me while I was out. And I can work from home if I chose. So by "going back to work" I don't necessarily mean going back to the office. Although that would be optimal, as I can't seem to get quite as much work done here at home with the grandbaby and the cat both asking for attention every 5 minutes...

I've got a great job. Back in 2014 I took a year long leave of absence to take care of some family stuff, and my job was still there when I came back.

jdgabbard
05-01-2024, 11:25 AM
Glad you are doing well. I have had all 3 done. Left lower was the worst, laparoscopic with mesh.

Yeah, they did mesh on both left and right inguinal canals.

Gtrubicon
05-01-2024, 01:12 PM
Glad your surgery went well. I hope mine does also. I have to check in at the hospital at noon, surgery at 2 today. I tore my left bicep completely off the bone at my elbow. It’s retracted up my arm 3”. It looks bizarre. They are going to re attatch it.

jdgabbard
05-01-2024, 01:13 PM
Glad your surgery went well. I hope mine does also. I have to check in at the hospital at noon, surgery at 2 today. I tore my left bicep completely off the bone at my elbow. It’s retracted up my arm 3”. It looks bizarre. They are going to re attatch it.

Yeah, that sounds painful! Hope they get you patched up, buddy. Good luck, and check in with us when you can. Wish you the best!

cwtebay
05-01-2024, 01:16 PM
Glad your surgery went well. I hope mine does also. I have to check in at the hospital at noon, surgery at 2 today. I tore my left bicep completely off the bone at my elbow. It’s retracted up my arm 3”. It looks bizarre. They are going to re attatch it.Ouch!!! Having done the avulsion trick myself at 22 - I don't envy you. Hope all goes well!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Gtrubicon
05-02-2024, 12:54 PM
Surgery went well, got home around 9 last night. I’m holding out on taking any pain pills. They prescribed oxycodone when I initially got hurt and gave me another bottle of them to bring home yesterday. I haven’t taken one. I’m definitely hurting but am apprehensive about those pills.

jdgabbard
05-02-2024, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I took some of the Norco they gave me, didn't do anything but make me drowsy. Stopped taking then, and now I'm just drinking water, coffee, eating Ibuprofen, and smoking cigarettes... Feel like I'm back in the Army...

dverna
05-02-2024, 10:16 PM
Good to hear it went well. Heal up and don’t push it. We are not 30 anymore.

45workhorse
05-02-2024, 10:52 PM
"I'm just drinking water, coffee, eating Ibuprofen"

Grunt candy!
Glad all went well!

elmacgyver0
05-02-2024, 10:59 PM
I had prostate surgery a few years ago and it was the worst thing I ever went through. I was in a lot of pain, and they gave me a shot of morphine, but it didn't seem to do much, so the next time they asked me if I wanted some I declined. I had the surgery on the 2nd of December and for Christmas I got a TIG welder. Well, I couldn't wait to see it and figured it wouldn't hurt just to lift it out of box to look at it, after all it was almost a month after the surgery. That evening, I peed blood. Take Don's advice, don't push it.

MrWolf
05-03-2024, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I took some of the Norco they gave me, didn't do anything but make me drowsy. Stopped taking then, and now I'm just drinking water, coffee, eating Ibuprofen, and smoking cigarettes... Feel like I'm back in the Army...

My back surgery was March 13th. I still have low back pain (my 1st surgery four years ago had way less issues but they went through my side this time) and cannot take ibuprofen for three months. Make sure you can take them. They wouldn't even let me vacuum until at least six weeks after and damn if that still didn't hurt. I believe them now when they said this would be a four to six month recovery. If I knew that before surgery I would have told them to got through the back again and just redo everything. Good luck. Pretty sure the smoking is also not on their approved list [smilie=1:

WRideout
05-03-2024, 10:29 AM
Will do. They described it to me as every other beat it was like there was an extra beat. But they didn't think it was of enough concern to call off the surgery.

My optometrist told me I had small blood clots in the back of my eyeball, and sent me to my PC doc. After that I started collecting doctors; I'm up to seven now, including the dentist. A couple of years ago I got the pacemaker. The problem was just a really slow heart rate. At this point, I don't think I will ever get the pacemaker battery replaced, I'll just lay on top of a cordless phone charger.

Wayne

jdgabbard
05-03-2024, 10:38 AM
Good to hear it went well. Heal up and don’t push it. We are not 30 anymore.

Which is a shame, because I still think that I should be in my 30s...

"I'm just drinking water, coffee, eating Ibuprofen"

Grunt candy!
Glad all went well!

Pretty much. About the only thing that keeps me going some days.

Take Don's advice, don't push it.

Worst part now is the swelling. Makes it hard to sit down or stand up. For those of you young enough to have watched it, I feel like that episode of South Park with the wheel barrow...

steve urquell
05-03-2024, 11:42 AM
Which is a shame, because I still think that I should be in my 30s...

Pretty much. About the only thing that keeps me going some days.

Worst part now is the swelling. Makes it hard to sit down or stand up. For those of you young enough to have watched it, I feel like that episode of South Park with the wheel barrow...

Sorry man. I see this frequently in the hospital. Near volleyball size occasionally, grapefruit regularly. Sent you a PM on strategies.

deces
05-03-2024, 01:29 PM

Don't say that I didn't warn you.

jdgabbard
05-03-2024, 01:56 PM
Don't say that I didn't warn you.

That you did, friend...

Bazoo
05-03-2024, 02:03 PM
I didn't see this previously, I'll keep ya in prayer.