PDA

View Full Version : Solid pin for a Lyman HP mold

AlanF
04-29-2024, 07:03 PM
I have a Lyman 457122 SC HP mold and I do like the HP, but I would like the option of using the mold to cast solid bullets as well. Do any of you have instructions/advice on making a solid pin for this type of mold? Thank you.

Wilderness
04-29-2024, 07:38 PM
I have a Lyman 457122 SC HP mold and I do like the HP, but I would like the option of using the mold to cast solid bullets as well. Do any of you have instructions/advice on making a solid pin for this type of mold? Thank you.

Alan - on a Lyman mould with a hollow of about .115" I just drop a pellet of #2 shot into the mould before casting. Obviously, adjust the shot size to the diameter of your hollow. The pellet finds its own way to where it needs to be. I also have a blanking pin, so can use either method.

Mk42gunner
04-29-2024, 08:11 PM
Make a duplicate of your pin, only shortened enough to give a flat nose. You wouldn't really need the insulating wooden knob.

The easier but more costly approach would be to find one of the Lyman/ Ideal 350 grain molds. The mold number escapes me right now.

Robert

MT Gianni
05-01-2024, 06:39 PM
Find a drill bit the diameter of the HP pin and drill it into a cabinet knob. Cut it to length and or put a stop on the bit.

midnight
06-03-2024, 02:26 PM
Lyman did make the 457122 as a solid because I have one. It is a pretty standard one cavity with a flat point. It must be fairly rare cuz when you google it all you get is page after page of hollow points.

Bob