PDA

View Full Version : 35 remington paper patch question

silverbuzzard
02-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Can I use 000 buckshot [ about .350 ] and paper patch to get it up to .358 or so , so I can shoot reduced loads in the marlin?

docone31
02-20-2009, 11:48 PM
I wrap nice cylinders. They wrap pretty easily, roll down smoothly. I have not even considered wrapping a ball. I do not see how that would work.
Why not wrap .357 boolitts?
Size them down, wrap them up.

silverbuzzard
02-20-2009, 11:57 PM
I want a very quiet plinking load for the yard etc. to zap cats and coyotes
Paco Kelly writes about 3.5 grains of clays etc . in rifles
I was just wondering if it is feasible
Really want the absolutely smallest ,quietest load I can shoot in the 35

Bullshop
02-21-2009, 12:31 AM
silverbuzzard
I dont get it!?! Why would you want to patch a ball for a reduced load? Why not just shoot a full diameter ball?
The quietest lightest load I have ever used is with wax bullets and just primers for power. You can shoot indoors, but please dont shoot nobody it will hurt.
I used to shoot wax bullets in a 44 mag to hunt mice in my cabin. I would put out baits, peanut butter in a mayo lid, and stay up at night waiting for a trophy sized bore to show up. At say 15 to 20 feet it will rip a mouse in two. Happy huntin.
BIC/BS

rhead
02-21-2009, 08:17 AM
I have wrapped 3 rb in a batch (using two sanded and lightly oiled dowel pins as guides) for a 45 70. Aside from problems of manuel dexterity I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Whether or not it will be worth the trouble is something you will have to judge yourself.

pdawg_shooter
02-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I guess you could form a shot cup sort of thing, seat the ball in it and load. Or you could start with an oversize ball, say 44 cal, size it to .350 to get some parallel sides and then patch it like normal.

silverbuzzard
02-22-2009, 12:19 AM
So, I could use a OOO buck ball in a 35 Rem? without paper?
Really not up on this stuff,just want to zap yotes in the yard.
I have a 44 mag Marlin too, guess I could use it with a ball?
The wax stuff I used to play with in a 41 mag Smith, works great but I need it to zap at 25 to 35 yards

marlinman2008
02-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I have loaden my mosin with .308 round balls unique and poly fill but i dont recomend it for a lever action rifle because it just wont cycle i say this because ive tried it in my 94 marlin .44 and my 336cs 30-30 its a pain trying to self feed these rounds into the action which i have sucessfully shot glue sticks trimed skinny with a knife and carved a tip(make shure that it'll fall down the barrel because removing a piece of lodged glue stick is a pain)and moulded lubed parafin wax (dont worry its a old rcbs rusted out mould)by enlarging the flash hole to 1/8" and using 9 1/2 large rifle primers there a lot of fun but can dirty up a barrel

yondering
02-28-2009, 12:37 AM
For that 35 Remington I've used .360" muzzleloader balls over a few grains of Bullseye. I found that it's not truly "quiet" until the charge is so low that the ball is only doing spitwad velocities, not nearly enough for what you need. Those muzzleloader balls did shoot ok though, especially if rolled in LLA and fired about 900 fps.

Personally, I'd consider just using a .38 lead bullet for your purpose.

If you want to really zap those coyotes, a cheap 158 .38/.357 hollow point jacketed bullet 38gr of Re7 will move out at about 2400 fps, and pretty much act like those polymer tipped varmint bullets, only bigger. :twisted: Data for this is in the Speer manual.

Zeek
09-11-2009, 06:37 PM
The person suggesting that you try 0.360" round balls had a good point. For a semi-silent load (a la Paco), you'll need to have your muzzle pressure down below around 35 bars. The factors that will help this the most (if you fiddle around with QuickLOAD, like I just did) are: very small chamber volume; small bullet weight; a small amount of VERY fast powder; and a subsonic MV.

The 35 Remington is waaaay too big to work well with just a pinch of powder knocking around inside it. Your 44 Magnum Marlin would work, but you might have to hand-feed the cartridges one at a time. The best powder for this use, BY FAR, is Vihtavouri N310 ~~~> the fastest available canister powder . . . makes Bullseye look like a slow rifle powder! With this stuff, be sure to weigh each charge.

In order to get a ball to stick in the casemouth, run a file across the casemouth from several directections, making up perhaps two of these special cases for this use. Leave the inner burrs this produces alone ~~~> they are what keeps the ball in place for you. Prime the case (it need not be sized, just deprimed {perhaps with the Lee handtools} and primed), then charged with 3.5 grains of Vihtafouri N310, then use a light mallet to tap a Lyman 0.440" diameter ball into the casemouth (the burrs there will hold it). If you want, you can dip the exposed ball in Lee tumble lube.

Try chambering this to see if it will go in all the way. If not, you'll need to shorten the case just a bit and try again. The goal is to have a slight resistance on the tail end of your Marlin's lever stroke because the case is jamming the ball against the ball-seat/leade-cone.

Those two cases will last you damn near forever for this use. With a 20" barrel, this load has a MV of just over 1000 fps and a muzzle pressure of just 27 bar. It will make very little noise, but will be deadly. For the 25-to-40-yard distances you are talking about, it will give excellent accuracy.

By comparison, using a standard 44M sized case and a 250gr Keith boolit seated to normal depth over 5.0 grains of that V-V-N310 will give you ~1000 fps and 31 bars of muzzle pressure. So, for slightly more noise (still within reason for a non-city house), you get far more whump. Take your pick. Either of these loads is going to tend to keep on traveling, if you miss. I would try the ball load first, given that it is not likely to pass right through a 'yote and keep on scootin' into the side of someone's house, like the Keith one might.

I have checked these two loads using QuickLOAD and they both appear to be under 20 Kpsi max. However if you try them, work up to the listed charge values. This powder is EXTREMELY fast, so do not take any chances with it. In any case (even a 44M case), the results are your responsibility entirely.
Regards, Zeek