PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs 45-270-saa

mellonhead
02-20-2009, 07:17 PM
I have two of these molds. One is cut a little deeper than the other. The one casts a 276 grain ball and the other one is throws them out at 281 grains. I checked the lenghts of the driving bands, and found that the bottom band was about .01-.015 wider on one of them. I was thinking about using a fly cutter to even them out. Has anyone ever done this before? Or should I not even worry about it?

Toby

GabbyM
02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I cut down a 45-230RN to get the weight down to 230 grains with soft alloy.

Lucky thing with RCBS molds is the spur plate stop pin will pull out. Lymans and Saeco are pressed in pretty tight.

44man
02-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Both of your boolits will most likely shoot into the same group at 50 yd's. Why not test them before fooling with the mold? [smilie=1:

Boomer Mikey
02-21-2009, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't bother... 5 grains is a trivial difference in a 250+ grain bullet weight. You may find that one does shoot better than the other in a particular rifle and the other one better in a another rifle.

I wouldn't mix the bullets in my loads; it's hard enough to maintain load consistency without adding more variables.

Have fun,

Boomer :Fire:

mellonhead
02-21-2009, 11:07 PM
I bought both of these molds to use in the same gun. I got the second one to speed up production. I went ahead and trimmed it down this afternoon. It turned out to need .017 taken off the longer one. I cast a few bullets with them tonight. Now they both weight the same and have almost identical measurements. Now to load some and shoot them to see if they print the same. I'll post the results.

Toby