PDA

View Full Version : 9MM Brass Processor

deltaenterprizes
04-16-2024, 08:10 PM
I load a few 9mm on my Dillon 1050 for practice ammunition.
The most common problem is the priming step.
Primers being expensive and not wanting to pull a bunch of bullets I have been depriming then wet tumbling and then sizing and priming on my Hornady Iron Press with primer auto feed.
I would size, deprime and reprime on the Hornady but the spent primer catcer doesn’t work and it makes a mess.
I have been thinking about a 2 stage progressive machine to size, deprime and reprime but I have too many projects already so I put it off until recently!
My neighbor told me about a progressive press that he saw at a local scrap yard.
The way he described it it was either a CH Auto Champ or a RCBS Green Machine.
It turns out it is a Auto Champ MK lll in 45ACP missing quite a few parts but most of it is there.
The next problem is that it is set up for large primers and I need small!
I got lucky and CH had all of the parts except for the slide bar that advances the cases and it is a pretty complex part to duplicate.
I was thinking about how to convert the existing part and remembered another press that uses a threaded bushing, so that is my plan.
I am going to drill and tap the slide and make a bushing to fit and then drill a hole for the small primer size! That way it can be switched back to large if necessary, not that I plan to do that.
I will only have one die in the press , a size/decap die and then I can inspect the primed brass before putting powder and seating a bullet.
This should be much quicker than my current procedure.

Barry54
04-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a worthwhile project! A picture is worth a thousand words, so please post photos of your progress for us.

JimB..
04-16-2024, 10:31 PM
Rather than running it through twice, try loading with a 650. I think it’s the best hobby priming system.

Winger Ed.
04-16-2024, 10:44 PM
Good luck with that project!

I like the spent primer catcher on my Hornady progressive, but other presses I use are beyond frustrating.
I ended up just letting them drop into a 5 gal. bucket, or rake 'em off the bench into one.
The ones that missed would just spill out all over the floor and I'd sweep 'em up later.

M-Tecs
04-16-2024, 10:45 PM
Primers being expensive and not wanting to pull a bunch of bullets I have been depriming then wet tumbling and then sizing and priming on my Hornady Iron Press with primer auto feed.
I would size, deprime and reprime on the Hornady but the spent primer catcer doesn’t work and it makes a mess.
I have been thinking about a 2 stage progressive machine to size, deprime and reprime but I have too many projects already so I put it off until recently!
My neighbor told me about a progressive press that he saw at a local scrap yard.
The way he described it it was either a CH Auto Champ or a RCBS Green Machine.
It turns out it is a Auto Champ MK lll in 45ACP missing quite a few parts but most of it is there.
The next problem is that it is set up for large primers and I need small!
I got lucky and CH had all of the parts except for the slide bar that advances the cases and it is a pretty complex part to duplicate.
I was thinking about how to convert the existing part and remembered another press that uses a threaded bushing, so that is my plan.
I am going to drill and tap the slide and make a bushing to fit and then drill a hole for the small primer size! That way it can be switched back to large if necessary, not that I plan to do that.
I will only have one die in the press , a size/decap die and then I can inspect the primed brass before putting powder and seating a bullet.
This should be much quicker than my current procedure.

I'm confused. I have two RL1050's and the priming system is almost bulletproof? I do run all my brass twice. First step is with a universal depriming die or a standard sizing die depending on how dirty the brass is. Just pour the brass into the hopper and go to town. The second trip through is priming, powder drop and bullet seating/crimping.

I do keep a vacuum and compressed air by my press. My experience is mine don't like running dirty. On the 1050's I get about 9,500 between stoppages and it generally a case feeder issue.

What issues are you having? Why are you pulling bullets to deprime?

jmorris
04-17-2024, 09:26 AM
As much as I like to build things, I am with M-tecs on this one. Spend your effort setting up the 1050 right, both the swage station and primer station.

They are not the simplest press to setup but are worth it once you're there and probably easier than what you are about to get into.

Brassmonkey
04-17-2024, 12:45 PM
I hogged out the spent primer discharge hole, and attached one of those brackets to put a hose into a bucket, that alone has kept the 1050 much cleaner during processin.

Delkal
04-17-2024, 12:59 PM
I don't bother to wet tumble my pistol cases and just give them a few minutes tumble in corn cobs. Then load them. It doesn't make sense separately depriming them and double the amount of pulls to reload them if they don't need a trim.

Since I always size, check length, and trim rifle cases separately this is not an issue.

dverna
04-17-2024, 01:49 PM
Another 1050 user (actually two) who has never had an issue. Something is wrong.

I have no experience with the Auto Champ but plenty with a Green Machine. If you cannot get the primer system to work on a 1050, you will not get it to work on a GM or similar press. The GM is garbage as a true progressive. (Defined as fired case with spent primer in the feed station and finished round at end of cylce)

BTW, there are a lot of 1050's used by commercial reloaders. If they did not work, they would not use them.

deltaenterprizes
04-17-2024, 03:25 PM
I have to pull bullets if the case is cracked or has the “Glock Bulge”
I run my primed brass through a case gauge before expanding, dropping powder and seating a bullet.

deltaenterprizes
04-17-2024, 03:29 PM
Rather than running it through twice, try loading with a 650. I think it’s the best hobby priming system.
The 1050 has a good priming system and if I had processed brass I would use the priming system but I don’t have access to a brass processor so this is the next best thing!

deltaenterprizes
04-17-2024, 03:37 PM
As much as I like to build things, I am with M-tecs on this one. Spend your effort setting up the 1050 right, both the swage station and primer station.

They are not the simplest press to setup but are worth it once you're there and probably easier than what you are about to get into.

My 1050 are from the late 80s and are chrome plated, one is the first one I ever operated at a friend’s house and the other is the first one that I bought shortly afterwards.
I had 3 of them at one time, I loaded the practice ammo for the Sheriffs department I belonged to for quite a while.
I know how to set them up, I had to strip one to the frame to clean it up after a friend’s long illness and death.
I like running primed brass though my 1050!

Delkal
04-17-2024, 03:43 PM
The 1050 has a good priming system and if I had processed brass I would use the priming system but I don’t have access to a brass processor so this is the next best thing!

Then why don't you resize and deprime separately on a single stage press? Then on your 1050 leave the sizing die out and just use the priming system. This is what I do with rifle rounds on a 550.

deltaenterprizes
04-17-2024, 03:52 PM
Another 1050 user (actually two) who has never had an issue. Something is wrong.

I have no experience with the Auto Champ but plenty with a Green Machine. If you cannot get the primer system to work on a 1050, you will not get it to work on a GM or similar press. The GM is garbage as a true progressive. (Defined as fired case with spent primer in the feed station and finished round at end of cylce)

BTW, there are a lot of 1050's used by commercial reloaders. If they did not work, they would not use them.
I got the CH press for nothing and I have spent a whole $25 to convert it to small primers.
I had a MK5 and it was junk, the priming system on the MK3 Is totally different and better!

M-Tecs
04-17-2024, 04:25 PM

If I was building or purchasing anything for the issues you are having it would be a roll sizer. https://www.rollsizer.com/

M-Tecs
04-17-2024, 04:29 PM
My 1050 are from the late 80s and are chrome plated, one is the first one I ever operated at a friend’s house and the other is the first one that I bought shortly afterwards.
I had 3 of them at one time, I loaded the practice ammo for the Sheriffs department I belonged to for quite a while.
I know how to set them up, I had to strip one to the frame to clean it up after a friend’s long illness and death.
I like running primed brass though my 1050!

Never seen a chromed RL1050. The RL 1000 built on a stainless-steel frame. RL 1000's were discontinued in 1989 and replaced with the RL 1050 than later the Super 1050's.

If I understand correctly the problem is NOT with the priming system on the Dillon but rather the case inspection process allowing cracked and bulge brass that have to be dealt with later? So no Dillon 1050 trouble shooting required since this appears to be a process issue and not an issue with the 1050?

JimB..
04-17-2024, 05:31 PM
Had to reread the original post, but I think the key is “ I will only have one die in the press , a size/decap die and then I can inspect the primed brass before putting powder and seating a bullet.”

What you’re describing is pretty much what I do with a Lee AP press, but I inspect before priming. Case feeder attached, cases get deprimed and dropped in a bucket. Wet tumbled, and while spreading on a blanket to dry I look and listen for split cases (also have a magnet in my hand that grabs any pins that made it through the rinse and separation process and any brass colored steel cases). I do briefly dry tumble the dirty brass before starting this process, the AP press runs more smoothly when it’s pretty clean, so knocking the loose junk off the brass helps keep the press running.

One weekend I did 6gal on 9mm, 3 gal of 357mag and 3 gal of 45acp. It’s all queued up for the rollsizer.

deltaenterprizes
04-17-2024, 07:20 PM
I got hooked on using primed brass when a friend asked me to load his new primed brass because it was seizing on the expanding die on his LEE press
I removed the decapping pin and went through 1000 rounds lickity split!
I stumbled on the junk press and it is sturdier than a LEE AP press and the price was right so I had to give it a shot!

jmorris
04-19-2024, 08:18 AM
I run my primed brass through a case gauge before expanding, dropping powder and seating a bullet.

Yeah, I don't case gauge until the product is finished, I don't care as much if the case is good at the beginning of the process as after all are completed.

jmorris
04-19-2024, 08:22 AM

You can just process brass on them, just don't perform the steps you don't want to do.

Looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/G1ieGYpdr9I

deltaenterprizes
04-19-2024, 11:05 AM
You can just process brass on them, just don't perform the steps you don't want to do.

Looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/G1ieGYpdr9I
I could do that but I got a deal on the CH and it isn't costing much to make a piece of junk into something useful!

jmorris
04-20-2024, 10:27 AM
I suppose the same could be said of a 1050, that has a priming system that's acting up...

The plastic tip on the primer tube is my first suspect. The 4 digit Dillon's don't have the life time warranty but they have never charged me for them. Same part thats used on the SD, 550 and 750 and the weak link in all of them.

country gent
04-20-2024, 05:38 PM
My only complaint with my 650s was the small size of the spent primer cup ands its dropping primers on the floor as it filled up quickly. I drilled a hole thru the bottom and made a little derilin tee shaped plug that slide in the stem was sized for a piece of 1/2" tygon tubing. A heavy chamfer on the hole on top. Now it holds about 15-25 primers all the rest fall down the tubing into the trash can underneath. I havent emptied the spent primer cup since.

The salvaged press makes it a good way to go if you have space for it. Another option if you want to deprime before hand is a hand decapper they can be very quick and simple and you arnt tied to a bench

deltaenterprizes
04-20-2024, 08:36 PM
Never seen a chromed RL1050. The RL 1000 built on a stainless-steel frame. RL 1000's were discontinued in 1989 and replaced with the RL 1050 than later the Super 1050's.

If I understand correctly the problem is NOT with the priming system on the Dillon but rather the case inspection process allowing cracked and bulge brass that have to be dealt with later? So no Dillon 1050 trouble shooting required since this appears to be a process issue and not an issue with the 1050?

You are 100% correct about the case inspection, sir!
I have 2 of the chrome or nickel plated 1050s, they are very early models and have chrome tool heads also!
One is the first one that I operated at a friend’s house and it convinced me to buy one.
The other one is the first one I bought shortly after seeing my friend’s.
The second and third ones I bought were a matte black finish.

M-Tecs
04-20-2024, 08:47 PM
You are 100% correct about the case inspection, sir!
I have 2 of the chrome or nickel plated 1050s, they are very early models and have chrome tool heads also!
One is the first one that I operated at a friend’s house and it convinced me to buy one.
The other one is the first one I bought shortly after seeing my friend’s.
The second and third ones I bought were a matte black finish.

Thanks for the clarification. I originally taught was issues with the 1050 so most of my comments are not valid. I have two Super 1050's (one for large primers and one for small primers) and one RL 1000. I have three 650's again on for large primers and one for small primers. The third is dedicated to 45/70.

gnostic
04-20-2024, 09:50 PM
Am I the only one here using a primer pocket swage? My 550B crushes the printer if I don't swage the primer pocket.

JimB..
04-20-2024, 10:12 PM
Am I the only one here using a primer pocket swage? My 550B crushes the printer if I don't swage the primer pocket.
I swage the primer pocket when the factory primer was crimped, otherwise not.

M-Tecs
04-20-2024, 10:25 PM

I had a pair of 550C's that went away when the 650's came out. Had a 450 before. None of them crushed primers unless it was crimped brass that never had the crimp removed?

If yours is doing it on non-crimped brass something is not right. Total I have primed around 400K on the Dillions. I prefer the positive depth seating my Super 1050's

jmorris
04-22-2024, 10:07 AM

No, the 4 digit Dillon presses have a pocket swage station at #3 as part of the normal operations. Swaging is concurrent with loading, not an extra step, like when using a 550.

deltaenterprizes
04-23-2024, 10:09 PM
Making some progress!
I made a primer stud to mount the primer tube and blast shield.
I bushed the hole for the primer punch.
I need to make a bushing for the case advance slide next!
With the modifications I could easily make it a 9mm reloading press just by installing a few dies.

deltaenterprizes
04-24-2024, 07:55 PM
Case slid bushing was made and installed today!
I am waiting on the Loctite to harden so that I can put a taper in the bottom like the factory had to help with alignment of the punch and the opening in the slide.

deltaenterprizes
04-24-2024, 10:18 PM
Case slide bushing was made and installed today!
I am waiting on the Loctite to harden so that I can put a taper in the bottom like the factory had to help with alignment of the punch and the opening in the slide.
I had to make a gauge so I could get a tight fit with the bushing and the hole tapped in the slide because the die that came with the tap cut very loose threads.
I was able to get a very tight fit and it worked perfectly!
I partially assembled the slide and priner punch and primed some cases with spent primers !

deltaenterprizes
04-27-2024, 01:12 PM
Well priming system gave me fits with multiple primers!
I spent the last 2 days modifying parts and pulling my hair out!
After a good night’s sleep I started by disassembling the entire priming system and when the primer punch was at rest it was sitting about .020-030” high and rubbing on the bottom of the primer slide and when adjusted flush it was not going high enough to fully seat a primer!
I had to grind metal off the lever that operates the primer punch and that solved the problem!
Next it a coupling to attach a primer magazine to the primer stud and allow a blast shield to be mounted.
Slowly but surely I may finally see light at the end of the tunnel, I hope that it is not a freight train!

deltaenterprizes
04-27-2024, 09:36 PM
I made a tube to feed cases and tried 10 cases with once fired primers and had problems!
Cases feed OK once all 4 cases are in the rails but don’t fall off at the end like a loaded round would, I will have to make a deflector to make them go down the chute.
Making progress slowly!

deltaenterprizes
04-29-2024, 09:29 PM
I did some minor adjustments and the dead primers went through flawlessly!
I only did 8 in a row, next time I will try 100.
If the 100 goes through with no problems I’ll try live primers!

deltaenterprizes
05-01-2024, 09:30 PM
I have the priming system working well enough to try live primers!
I did 29 in strings of 10, the first string was 9 because one was missing from the tray.
I had a few hiccups with the cases feeding so I will be making a bushing to make that more reliable.
I am going to copy the Dillon bushing on my 1050.
That won’t be until the weekend, working full time puts a crimp in shop time!

deltaenterprizes
05-04-2024, 06:03 PM
Getting better function but still having a few hiccups!
For some reason the primer punch is hanging up.
I made a bushing to get the case to line up with the case advance slide and that helped with feeding but now the punch problem has started.
May put in a stronger spring to get better return.

gnostic
05-04-2024, 09:52 PM
I swage the primer pocket when the factory primer was crimped, otherwise not.

This is range pick-up brass and I probably should do a better job of inspection...

deltaenterprizes
05-04-2024, 10:41 PM
Problem with the primer punch was that the return spring was too large in diameter for the holder, I reduced the diameter and all is well!
I fitted a small hand sanitizer bottle to serve as a spent primer container and installed a resize/decap die and ran about 50 cases through with only a couple of hiccups, nothing major.
Next step is 50 primers and 50 cases!
I still have to work on the mounting the case feeder.

deltaenterprizes
05-07-2024, 05:41 AM
Primer feed problem still!
I drilled the hole in the reduced thickness slide off center so I redid it and got it on center and we will see if that solves the issue!

deltaenterprizes
05-07-2024, 09:12 PM
Success!
I installed the milled down primer slide and no primer feed problems!
I ran 50 cases through with only a couple of case feed problems but no primer problems!
I have to work on the primer magazine to get it more stable and cut the shield to length and mount the Dillon case feeder and then I can run 1000 cases!

deltaenterprizes
05-08-2024, 04:35 AM
In summary, I found 3 problems that in my opinion are design flaws
#1 is the thickness of the primer slide. The material that the slide is made from is 0.125” and a small primer is 0.115” thick causing a depression for the second primer in the stack to sit in causing jams and other problems. Milling the slide to the thickness of the primers solves this problem.
#2 The primer punch return spring diameter is too big for the housing or the hole in the housing is under sized for the spring.
This causes the punch not to return causing jams. I reworked the spring or could have bored the housing but you always work on the least expensive part first so I did the spring.
#3 The part on the end of the case advance slide that pushes the cases from the tube of cases was too thick to allow the front rail to be pushed forward to allow positive grip on the case and proper alignment with the primer punch causing 2 problems. The cases would come loose and primer would get crushed possibly causing an explosion.I added a blast shield because it didn’t come with one.
One other potential problem is where the primer slide adjustment screw hits the frame. The frame and top plate where the dies screw in are made out of aluminum a the adjustment screw is hardened steel. The return spring is strong and constant pounding will eventually cause a depression and cause misalignment leading to crushed primers. I plan to install a hardened steel screw in the frame and get a beass tipped set screw to stop the problem before it occurs.
It took me about a week of and on to make parts and do modifications and a lot of head scratching but I finally have a machine that will help me produce match quality 9mm ammunition a little easily and quickly!

AnthonyB
05-08-2024, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I originally taught was issues with the 1050 so most of my comments are not valid. I have two Super 1050's (one for large primers and one for small primers) and one RL 1000. I have three 650's again on for large primers and one for small primers. The third is dedicated to 45/70.

M-Tecs;
How does the RL1100 compare to the Super 1050 in your opinion? I have RL1100s in small and large primer and would probably have bought only one had I the changeover knowledge acquired since the purchase, but have never used a Super 1050.
Tony

jmorris
05-09-2024, 08:22 AM
I like the eccentric linkage, stronger than the "super" but it will load longer cases/rounds where the other lacks stroke.

AnthonyB
05-09-2024, 09:51 AM
I like the eccentric linkage, stronger than the "super" but it will load longer cases/rounds where the other lacks stroke.

Thanks. I thought/think the shorter stroke was the major difference between the two and will never load anything larger than 308W on it so went with the RL1100.
Tony

deltaenterprizes
05-10-2024, 10:04 PM
I have the primer magazine almost finished! It is a little wobbly so I have to figure out his to make it more stable.
It works well, I primed 100 cases with no problems!

gjgalligan
05-11-2024, 10:58 AM

I inspect my brass BEFORE I do anything else and that gets 99.9% of any bad cases before I do anything else.

deltaenterprizes
05-12-2024, 11:34 AM
I inspect my brass BEFORE I do anything else and that gets 99.9% of any bad cases before I do anything else.

I inspect after tumbling but some crack after sizing or when the case mouth is belled. It is easier to recover the primer than pull the boolit and catch the powder and recover the primer!

deltaenterprizes
05-12-2024, 07:07 PM
The press was not designed with a blast shield around the primer magazine and the one that I have made rubbed against the die plate so I had to mill a relief into the die plate aprox 0.100” deep and 0.625” wide.
The parts that release the die plate would not come loose so I had to mount the whole thing in the mill.
I didn’t have a big enough ball mill bit so I had to use a 9/16 and widen it a little on each side, it ain’t pretty but it works!
After a few minor adjustments it should be ready for a test run!

deltaenterprizes
05-13-2024, 10:16 PM
Test run was successful!
I consider this project complete!

deltaenterprizes
05-26-2024, 08:36 AM
I have been running a lot of range brass through my machine and have had a couple of problems, but that is what it was designed for.
I was demonstrating it to my wife to show her what I have been working on for the last couple of weeks and picked 10 sorted commercial cases that were deprimed and wet washed.
About the fifth case I had a jam and identified it as a Winchester commercial case with no visible signs of damage!
That is the way it is designed to work!

greybuff
05-26-2024, 06:53 PM
Lets see a picture of the finished project.

deltaenterprizes
05-26-2024, 07:45 PM
Lets see a picture of the finished project.
I am not knowledgeable enough to post pics here but it looks just like the original press with just a blast shield around the primer magazine.
All of the modifications are on the inside and not visible.