PDA

View Full Version : Lpi ?

Johnch
04-16-2024, 04:51 PM
This last winter I made several knife blades
I am in the process of making knife scales for the blades out of some Padauk I got from Woodcraft

But before I mount the knife scales I want to checker them

But I have no clue to what is a good Line Per Inch

What would be a good LPI for cutting into the knife scales ?
These will be hunting and every day carry knives

Thanks
John

Winger Ed.
04-16-2024, 05:11 PM
Not sure of the count, but it seems like fewer, and deeper cuts would let ya have a better grip- especially wearing gloves,
and not tend to 'clog up' as quick as a finer pattern would.

country gent
04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Coarser gives a better grip but dosnt show the grain as well coarse can become uncomfortable in a bare hand. Finer will provide grip shows the grain better and is more comfortable to the bare hand. I would think 20-24 lines per inch would be a happy medium

Handloader109
04-16-2024, 06:01 PM
Test on scrap if you have it... padauk is fairly soft....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Johnch
04-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Test on scrap if you have it... padauk is fairly soft....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I have extra wood , so I will test

But I also plan on using wood hardener after checkering

John

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-16-2024, 09:15 PM
I bought a checkering tool kit, to try and teach myself checkering...I learned it wasn't my thing. The tools were 18 Tpi...kind of the 'average' checkering on a rifle stock.
I hope that helps.

quack1
04-17-2024, 09:10 AM
I have extra wood , so I will test

But I also plan on using wood hardener after checkering

John

I have checkered a bunch of walnut, but never padauk, so don't know how it will checker. You may want to use the wood hardener before checkering, or just finish the wood first. Checkering is usually applied to a finished stock. The finish helps make a clean cut, as some wood will fuzz as you cut it. Harder wood is easier to checker than soft and soft will cause the diamonds to wear down faster with use. The harder the wood the finer LPI you can get away with, softer requires coarser LPI. Same with the size of the pores in the wood, large pores requires coarser LPI. If I was attempting what you are doing, I'd try 18 or 20 LPI on your test pieces and see how that feels on the hand and how clean the diamonds are.

gwpercle
04-17-2024, 04:59 PM
18 or 20 lines per inch is the usual layout , depending on the wood hardness and texture ... how open the grain is .
When you get into 22 and 24 lines per inch the diamonds become very fine .
I would try 18 lpi on a scrap and see how that looks and feels .
Gary