PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about not casting......

WILCO
04-16-2024, 03:02 PM
Any recommendations for pre cast boolit company?

Looking for a variety of calibers and boolit weights.

Mostly rifle stuff.

txbirdman
04-16-2024, 03:20 PM
I’ve pretty much gone to Everglades plated bullets. I’ve been very satisfied with both their products and service.

K43
04-16-2024, 03:32 PM
I've stopped casting and have recently purchased rifle boolits from The Bull Shop, Western, and Quality Bullet Co. Good prices and good quality.
I already did cast bajillions of .45, .44 .38, .312 and .309 pistola lead that will last to infinity and beyond.
Just decided it's more work than fun these days.

jdgabbard
04-16-2024, 03:35 PM
Wilco, send your gear over and I'll dispose of it for you....

WILCO
04-16-2024, 03:55 PM
Wilco, send your gear over and I'll dispose of it for you....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!

Silly Rabbit! :)

WILCO
04-16-2024, 03:59 PM
I’ve pretty much gone to Everglades plated bullets. I’ve been very satisfied with both their products and service.

Thank you for the info. :)

WILCO
04-16-2024, 03:59 PM
I've stopped casting and have recently purchased rifle boolits from The Bull Shop, Western, and Quality Bullet Co. Good prices and good quality.
I already did cast bajillions of .45, .44 .38, .312 and .309 pistola lead that will last to infinity and beyond.
Just decided it's more work than fun these days.

AAAHHHHhhh. I forgot about them. Thanks.

Winger Ed.
04-16-2024, 04:00 PM
You reminded me of a favorite neighbor that is selling out and moving to Austin.

He stopped by awhile back and told me, "I'm, thinking about moving to Austin to be closer to the grandkids".

I told him,
"Oh yeah. In that case---Maybe you should think about something else. Like world hunger or inflation".

WILCO
04-16-2024, 04:04 PM

Impressive selection.

WILCO
04-16-2024, 04:05 PM
You reminded me of a favorite neighbor that is selling out and moving to Austin.

He stopped by awhile back and told me, "I'm, thinking about moving to Austin to be closer to the grandkids".

I told him,
"Oh yeah. In that case---Maybe you should think about something else. Like world hunger or inflation".

Ed!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

jdgabbard
04-16-2024, 04:22 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!

Silly Rabbit! :)

I figured you'd like that one, buddy! :bigsmyl2:

WILCO
04-16-2024, 08:33 PM
I figured you'd like that one, buddy! :bigsmyl2:

I did indeed my friend. Did indeed!

Super Sneaky Steve
04-16-2024, 08:37 PM
Before I got into casting I purchased and shot a lot from this company.
https://missouribullet.com/index.php

WILCO
04-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Before I got into casting I purchased and shot a lot from this company.
https://missouribullet.com/index.php

Thank you!!

Lots of great options.

jdgabbard
04-17-2024, 10:13 AM
Wilco, I haven't used Missouri Bullets in a long time, but last I did they were mostly undersized, hard, and with crayon wax lube. Just a heads up. They were affordable though...

dverna
04-17-2024, 05:27 PM
There are companies that will size bullets to your specification, and some will sell bullets that are not sized or lubed. Just another option.

I am not fond of casting but it does save $$$. Lubing and sizing are not too onerous as I can do about 1000/hr. I understand not wanting to cast.

Another thing to consider if buying bullets. Every supplier I used would give a 10% discount on 10k bullets. They would let me mix calibers as but I only shot 9mm, .38/.357 and .45 so they were common bullets. Doesn't hurt to ask for the discount and see what they offer.

Wooserco
04-17-2024, 06:55 PM
There are companies that will size bullets to your specification, and some will sell bullets that are not sized or lubed. Just another option.

I am not fond of casting but it does save $$$. Lubing and sizing are not too onerous as I can do about 1000/hr. I understand not wanting to cast.

Another thing to consider if buying bullets. Every supplier I used would give a 10% discount on 10k bullets. They would let me mix calibers as but I only shot 9mm, .38/.357 and .45 so they were common bullets. Doesn't hurt to ask for the discount and see what they offer.

Also, at 67 years of age: ask for a senior discount! Nothing ventured, nothing gained???

WILCO
04-19-2024, 04:39 PM
Wilco, I haven't used Missouri Bullets in a long time, but last I did they were mostly undersized, hard, and with crayon wax lube. Just a heads up. They were affordable though...

Thank you. Duly noted!!!

WILCO
04-19-2024, 04:41 PM

Thanks Don. That's good information.

WILCO
04-19-2024, 04:41 PM
Also, at 67 years of age: ask for a senior discount! Nothing ventured, nothing gained???

Dude!!!! Brilliant!!!!

country gent
04-19-2024, 04:49 PM
He should get an infraction for that.... Not casting sacrilege

2TM101
04-19-2024, 05:26 PM

I just checked out about a dozen online bullet sellers. Did not expect to find so many.

Had not heard of Everglades - but they not only have hollow based wadcutters, but plated ones. My 1858 Remington conversions have to have either heel based bullets or hollow based wadcutters to work. I can make both, both are a real pain. And I can't do plating myself. Already ordered some.

Even if I scaled back my casting I would never stop making muzzleloader stuff. Plain lead round balls are very easy to make and commercially bought ones cost as much as jacketed rifle bullets.

maddog13
04-20-2024, 09:31 AM
I shoot cast in 3 different rifles but don't cast them myself. Where I live it's just not in the cards. So I buy them. I buy 357 158 gr RNF and 165 gr FN 30-30 bullets (both coated) from Missouri Bullets. Have had good luck with 45 ACP 200 gr SWC(also coated) from Bayou Bullets

MostlyLeverGuns
04-20-2024, 09:58 AM
I have used bullets from BullShop, Matt's Bullets, Oregon Bullets with excellent results for 30, 32 and 35 cal. For handgun, Missouri Bullets, Blue Bullets for PC work but have not tried farther than 25 yards in the handguns, I have used others, MOSTLY with satisfactory results. BullShop is a custom caster with a large selection made to your specs. Matt's Bullets - smaller selection but also very well made. Many commercial casters out there. Depending on your time, preferences, lead availability, and wallet - the commercial casters might make sense. Chasing after 'cheap' lead in eastern Wyoming? I can buy good bullets that the poor post person brings to the door for the cost of chasing 'cheap' lead(time, mileage, fuel).

I forgot a local Cheyenne Bullets, good quality.

softpoint
04-21-2024, 09:35 PM
Matt's bullets, has some offerings that I can't find anywhere else, although their rifle bullet selection is small, Quality is good.

scattershot
04-21-2024, 09:41 PM
I have only shot cast rifle bullts in a 30/30, but Hunter Supply makes good ones.

35 Rem
04-21-2024, 10:12 PM
Wilco, I've forgotten but did you buy some casting equipment while considering it but now are deciding it's too much trouble or were you just considering it and decided to not even dabble in it at all? No wrong answer, I'm just curious.

WILCO
04-21-2024, 11:42 PM
Wilco, I've forgotten but did you buy some casting equipment while considering it but now are deciding it's too much trouble or were you just considering it and decided to not even dabble in it at all? No wrong answer, I'm just curious.

That's a great question and the answer is no, I jumped in with both feet and went deep.
Really love everything about the cast boolit world.
That was back in 2007.
Fast forward to now and we come to that point where everyone does, eventually.
My life is changing and I may need to simplify things.
Looking back, I have no regrets but would do some things differently.
While I'll always maintain the tooling and resources to cast, a path of less fuss and muss is an option.
And that's what this thread is about.
Options/choices. :)

Hillbillyhunter
04-22-2024, 06:30 AM
I love shooting cast bullets, but between the demands of my job and the various activities and sports my three kids are involved in there just isn't enough time. With so many quality commercial casters it's just easier to buy them and load em up, usually late at night after the family has gone to sleep.

Pereira
04-22-2024, 07:51 AM
I don't cast as much as I once did and do buy some pre cast from time to time and for a couple of cal. that I don't have molds for.
I've shot and shoot quite a bit of Missouri Bullet co. 180 gr 357's and 265 gr 45's.
Also don't have a mold for the 38-55 and have used Oregon Trail, Montana and Bear Creek with good results.

RP

Patrick L
04-22-2024, 09:00 AM
I'm 58. I can see myself casting maybe for another 10 years or so. (if I live that long.)

But there will definitely come a time when I'll say enough is enough.

dr_rick
04-26-2024, 09:56 AM
https://choiceammunition.com/product-category/hi-tek-bullet/
Found them reliable and shoot straighters!

Scrounge
04-26-2024, 10:31 AM
Any recommendations for pre cast boolit company?

Looking for a variety of calibers and boolit weights.

Mostly rifle stuff.

Sacrilege! Burn the Unbeliever!!!

:bigsmyl2:

If you don't want to cast, you can also swage to get the boolits you need. If you're rich, you can even buy them...

I got into casting because we liked to shoot a lot, and it cut the costs. That has varied over the past 65 years or so. Sometimes it makes more sense than others. Health issues, age, infirmity, and other factors can play in, too. Do what works for you! I've even loaded those J-thingies a few times! 8-)+

2TM101
04-26-2024, 11:37 AM
I'm 58. I can see myself casting maybe for another 10 years or so. (if I live that long.) But there will definitely come a time when I'll say enough is enough.

I got a real shock the other day - average lifespan of an American male is now 92. Last I looked it was 78.

Where did the 80's go? I miss the 80's

I started casting last year at 67.

2TM101
04-26-2024, 11:42 AM
I love shooting cast bullets, but between the demands of my job and the various activities and sports my three kids are involved in there just isn't enough time. With so many quality commercial casters it's just easier to buy them and load em up, usually late at night after the family has gone to sleep.

6 cavity molds cast so fast, and powder coating (or tumble lubing) is so easy, I see no reason to ever stop. I can make them fast enough that the cost savings is significant.

For muzzle loaders, casting is even easier, and the cost savings is even more.

Pan lubing and paper patching are something I do because crafting them is fun, it does not make economic sense.

gns4me
04-27-2024, 08:55 AM
SNS Casting , Blue Bullets , Brass Monkey , RMR ,Are all reliable sources for cast and jacketed bullets .

William Yanda
04-27-2024, 09:04 AM
Wilco, please be careful. You are trying desperately to climb up an excessively slippery slope in the presence of dozens of alert and motivated enablers.

charlie b
04-28-2024, 09:13 PM
I'm only 70 and am casting more bullets per year than I ever did before.

So far I still enjoy it and I like the results I get. I enjoy getting decent accuracy from cast bullets at longer ranges. It is a fun respite from my more accurate jacketed guns.

If I ever do end up quitting casting I'd just go to all jacketed loads (or plated for pistol shooting). I do love precision long range stuff.

John Guedry
04-30-2024, 09:29 AM
At 80 I'm still at and enjoying every minute.

kevin c
04-30-2024, 10:58 AM
Priorities…

I started casting because I’m a cheap SOB, continued because it was fun learning a new skill (still a novice imho) and do it now in retirement because it passes the time.

But I shoot less these days for a variety of reasons and also have new interests with more demands on my time. I think I’ll always cast if I’m physically capable, but if I ever try a new caliber, I can see buying even commercial ammo for it, maybe commercial bullets if I reload for it, but setting aside the idea of casting for that particular round.