PDA

View Full Version : Cooking ovens/ranges.

johnsonian09
04-14-2024, 09:17 PM
I’m debating switching from an electric to a gas range at the new house. It’s just so slow with my cast irons.

Anyone know what this should cost outside of the oven itself? I’m not sure I want to DIY with gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcs12345
04-14-2024, 09:23 PM
Do you already have other gas appliances in your house? What kind of access would the installer have (tight attic or crawl space etc…) to run a line to where you want it?

cwtebay
04-14-2024, 09:23 PM
They're very similar in price for the unit itself - gas connection will add to that if it's not stubbed out (make sure the orifice size matches your gas type.
After that - gas gets to temp far faster, cleanup is easier ( lift the grates and the discs and scrub clean, and my wife likes gas better.
The last reason is likely the most important.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

johnsonian09
04-14-2024, 09:24 PM
I have a gas boiler that heats the entire house.

That is the single gas appliance for the house.

It’s a 4ft crawl space

Mk42gunner
04-14-2024, 09:49 PM
No idea as to cost, but I much prefer cooking on a gas stove.

My in progress cabin is going to have the best of both worlds in my opinion, gas stove top and an electric oven. I have both already, just waiting for the round-to-it to install them.

Robert

rcslotcar
04-14-2024, 09:53 PM
I have a duel fuel oven / stove. The Kitchen Aid range is gas and the oven is electric, my wife loves it.

Battis
04-14-2024, 10:31 PM
We went through the same thinking process not too long ago. We had an electric stove and wanted to switch to gas. We have a gas hot water heater in the front of the house, but to run a gas line to the kitchen in the back of the house was $1800 - $2500. Then we had to run an electric line to the stove for the igniter. We had to vent the gas stove to the outside (our electric stove was not vented to the outside). Also, my wife has asthma. And, it had to be inspected by the city inspector.
Bottom line - we bought an electric induction stove with two ovens. The stove costs more than a gas stove, but, overall, it was less money for installation.
Best move we ever made.

rancher1913
04-14-2024, 10:52 PM
if you diy and can get the new fangled flex hose its a simple job with 2 connections but you may have to be licensed to purchase the line. iron pipe is not for beginners, to many places to screw up. the problem with hiring it done is they will have to replumb the whole house because gas lines are sized for a given flow and adding the stove will choke your boiler unless the main line is upsized, so it will not be cheap.

Winger Ed.
04-14-2024, 10:56 PM
Like all the professional & commercial cooks--- I really prefer a gas stove.

Our house now is all electric, with a flat top stove on a island.
When I dropped a bacon press and shattered it--- I found out how crazy expensive they are too!
It works, but I wish we had gas for the stove, heater, and water heater.

Battis
04-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Try to find a dealer that will demonstrate an induction stove. That's what convinced my wife. Nothing heats quicker or with more precision than an induction stove.

Loudenboomer
04-14-2024, 11:47 PM
We got rid of our all electric range a few months ago. Got a GE profile duel fuel range. Gas cook top and electric range. Really like it! So much nicer with my cast iron too.

M-Tecs
04-14-2024, 11:54 PM
For the OP induction would be the best choice. https://www.consumerreports.org/appliances/ranges/pros-and-cons-of-induction-cooktops-and-ranges-a5854942923/

I love my gas stove and my induction cooktops. Never used an electric stove I liked.

MT Gianni
04-15-2024, 12:21 AM
Most jurisdictions require a size pipe entering the house that allows you to add another appliance. With a 4' crawl space the job should not be unreasonable. You will need 120 for the electric, though you should be able to add a junction box and come off of one of the existing circuits. If your contractor uses flex pipe, make sure that he shows you he has put in the anti-nail plates. AS to cost, location, location , location.

Thundarstick
04-15-2024, 05:30 AM
I use to HATE electric stoves and cooked on gas, but with the better electric stoves, I can't tell enough difference to sneeze at. Baking had always seemed better with electricity. My 2 cents.

DaleT
04-15-2024, 05:50 AM
Much rather have a gas cook stove but this house isn't set up for it. That being said electric stoves have come a long way and are more efficient then they use to be. I still like gas stoves for cooking though.

DougGuy
04-15-2024, 05:53 AM
With a gas range you have the option of going with NO China made microprocessors, just the electric igniters. All manual, all made in USA, American Range. Pricey but the daisy burners really set this range alongside the very best.

When I bake a cake or cornbread I set an alarm on my phone. I can snooze it for 5, 10, 15mins additional cooking time if necessary.

pworley1
04-15-2024, 06:23 AM
When we built our house in 2017 we put in a gas oven and cook top and we also put in an electric oven. The electric oven is almost never used. What ever it cost to get the gas line installed will be worth it.

max it
04-15-2024, 08:30 AM
I’m debating switching from an electric to a gas range at the new house. It’s just so slow with my cast irons.

Anyone know what this should cost outside of the oven itself? I’m not sure I want to DIY with gas

John; I recommend a cheap elec hot plate for the cast part. In the garage.

cwtebay
04-15-2024, 09:54 AM
John; I recommend a cheap elec hot plate for the cast part. In the garage.Do you only cook in the garage with cast iron?

MUSTANG
04-15-2024, 10:08 AM
Keep in mind that almost all of the "Gas Ranges" are California Compliant now. That means that if the Electric Power Goes off; the Gas Line gets shut off at the stove and the stove will not cook. We bought a Stove (Propane/Natural Gas = depending on jets selected) that was made in Canada to avoid this issue. In our case; we cook on Propane gas; but it also acts as a Back up Heat source if the Electric Power goes out and the House Forced Air Propane does not work due to electrical outage. Of course; Belts/Suspendors/Rope as we also have wood stove for heating and cooking on top of it if we had to.

Idz
04-15-2024, 10:08 AM
A good use for that old electric oven is powder-coating bullets! Don't use it again for food thou.

Bmi48219
04-15-2024, 10:38 AM
We didn’t choose electric, around here there is no natural gas available East of US-1.
Some of our prior homes had gas. It took some time to get used to all electric. A gas stove top heats up faster and takes more effort to clean than an electric glass top range, but most cast iron isn’t recommended for glass top ranges.
As for ovens, electric is a more even heat. Ours is a slide in electric range & ovens, a small oven below the cook top and a large oven below the small one.
We might use the large oven once a year.
We don’t need a furnace but there’s no doubt in my mind natural gas is better for home heating. For water heaters my money is on electric. With minimal care they last twice as long as Nat gas.
I have a gas grill I use at least 3 days a week.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-15-2024, 12:05 PM
Plumber gets about $50 a foot to run a new line.
Check out your State laws before you start, the liberals are trying to ban gas appliances...

from 2023
"Minnesota progressives now seek to ban natural gas (including your stove) in residential and commercial buildings"
https://www.americanexperiment.org/minnesota-progressives-now-seek-to-ban-natural-gas-including-your-stove-in-residential-and-commercial-buildings/

from 2024
"Minnesota GOP bill would prevent municipalities from banning gas stoves, heating"
There don't appear to be any local bans in the works, but the idea to prevent regulations has drawn support from home industry and was heard by a DFL-led committee on Wednesday.
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-gop-prevent-bans-gas-stoves-heating-health/600350845/

Obviously the Democrats run MN, so this GOP bill has no chance. Once the MN Dem's get their Ducks in a row, Gas will be banned.

farmbif
04-15-2024, 12:37 PM
ive had LP gas for at least 30 years. started out with cloths dryer and had gas place put in big tank and line running into garage for dryer. it was good for about 5 years then called to get fill up and price was way out of line crazy high. I told them to come get the tank and ran dryer off 20, and 40 lb cylinders for next 10 years at least.
if you do your own plumbing repairs putting in a gas line is not much different.
places with the most strict codes I believe you will find require iron or galvanized pipe from gas source to the appliance with copper or stainless at each end to make actual connections to tank and appliance. some places using CSST, corrugated stainless steel tube, is acceptable. and with the latest brass ends for the corrugated stainless line its so easy possibly a trained monkey can put them together.
where I live now I put in my own gas lines for dryer and water heater fueled with 100lb tanks. I use the same regulators that are used in RV's at the tank connected to flexible stainless lines through the house to appliance with a ball valve designed for gas that goes into a 1/2" pipe trap to catch any crud. some of the connections where threads transition like balll valve which is 45 degree flare to the trap in pipe thread was done with brass fittings. the trap is nothing but a T with a 3-4" going straight down with a cap on the end.
plan your connections out and gather the pieces and parts you will need and just put them together. It's not difficult. it can be made more difficult if you want to get into flaring copper tube and threading your own pipes but with the stuff that is available these days its much easier.
use Gasolia on all threaded connections and test all connections with very soapy water in a spray bottle to check for any leaks

farmbif
04-15-2024, 12:44 PM
my neighbor got a gas stove just a couple years ago delivered free from amazon that requires no electricity for less than $500

M-Tecs
04-15-2024, 12:54 PM
While both electric - induction and traditional electric stoves are much different animals when it comes to control and speed of cooking. It appears some are lumping them together.

Bloodman14
04-15-2024, 02:24 PM
We converted to all electric save the furnace in order to save on propane. We ran out of propane in the DEAD of winter a few years ago and decided enough was enough.

Handloader109
04-15-2024, 03:17 PM
Gas all the way. I have to use propane, as house was all electric. No natural gas for about a mile in either direction. Same thing we had in MS.
But my wife hates electric stove tops and I added a propane line and replaced top with gas top. I didn't replace oven, if it dies, I will, easy branch off and 3 feet of hose.
And with gas, you can cook if the electricity goes out. That is worth it right there

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

.429&H110
04-15-2024, 03:17 PM
People buy and sell old gas stoves, some old ones are jewels and fetch top dollars.
Do not buy a matchlight oven.

Be sure to use a real UL listed range connector, get a long one, seven foot for a long loop behind the stove.
Then you can pull the stove out and wash under it.
Some stoves are stuck and haven't moved in 40 years. Been there done that.

Rich/WIS
04-15-2024, 04:22 PM
Timely post, in the process of replacing my electric range. Gas is not an option so sticking with electric. One thing I noticed that if you think of the standard four burner with one large burner in front on one side and the other large burner in back on the other side. All the new stoves I've looked at have both large burners in front. So if you have two large pots going and need a small burner you have to reach over or around the pots in front. Five burner has the same arrangement with the three small burners in the back. Seems like it would be very easy to burn yourself reaching past the front burners. Staying with a solid top for easy clean up and regular burners. Son has the induction cook top and they love it but guess I'm just old fashioned. If you go induction remember that the cookware has to be rated for induction or it won't work

elmacgyver0
04-15-2024, 05:12 PM
Plumber gets about $50 a foot to run a new line.
Check out your State laws before you start, the liberals are trying to ban gas appliances...

from 2023
"Minnesota progressives now seek to ban natural gas (including your stove) in residential and commercial buildings"
https://www.americanexperiment.org/minnesota-progressives-now-seek-to-ban-natural-gas-including-your-stove-in-residential-and-commercial-buildings/

from 2024
"Minnesota GOP bill would prevent municipalities from banning gas stoves, heating"
There don't appear to be any local bans in the works, but the idea to prevent regulations has drawn support from home industry and was heard by a DFL-led committee on Wednesday.
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-gop-prevent-bans-gas-stoves-heating-health/600350845/

Obviously the Democrats run MN, so this GOP bill has no chance. Once the MN Dem's get their Ducks in a row, Gas will be banned.

Harbor Freight sells a pipe threading kit for about $80 if I remember right.
Any caveman can run black pipe, it ain't rocket science. Slather on a liberal (I hate that word) amount of pipe goop rated for gas and make the joints tight, then test with soapy water.
If this is beyond your ability, you probably should not be reloading shells either.
I have two furnaces in my house, and I did not like the job the furnace guys did, so I redid it.
I also installed gas logs for my fireplace and removed the electric cook top and replaced with gas, all with black pipe, none of that flexy stuff.

Battis
04-15-2024, 07:05 PM
If you go induction remember that the cookware has to be rated for induction or it won't work

If a magnet sticks to it, it'll work. Cast iron works. Aluminum doesn't.
As M-Tecs said above, the only thing an induction stove and a regular electric stove have in common is the energy source - electricity. There is no comparison as far as heating speed, safety, precision. If you're heating a pot of water (for example) the boiling time is incredibly fast, and when you remove the pot from the burner, you can put your hand on the burner.

gc45
04-15-2024, 07:38 PM
Been living on propane 45 yrs now, I love it. Our entire farm is self sufficient when the power goes off which is several times in the winter, sometimes for several days. The wife prefers gas cooking over electric that was here when we bought the place but we changed when building our log house.

jsizemore
04-15-2024, 09:02 PM
I repaired my first dual fuel slide in range today. Complaint was that the oven wasn't cooking the food completely. A Kitchenaid model KSDG950ESS1.It's in the island so it's downdraft exhaust. Not much space under the oven door for access to the fan and gas line. My first hidden bake element. Fortunately it's under the bottom pan of the oven cabinet accessible from inside. Shined the flashlight inside and saw the splash from the element when it burned in two from under the pan. Common Whirlpool/Kitchenaid element. $60 at the parts house. Got it together and ran a test @325degF with a digital thermometer beside the sensor probe at the top rear of the oven near the broil element and another 6" from the door dangling from the middle rack. About 12 minutes to get to temp @325 on convection bake. My thermometer at the sensor read 328 and the one at the door read 333. They didn't budge for the next 20 minutes. I've never seen an oven do that before no matter the price. The gas cook top looked not quite pristine yet the oven looked like it had been in a commercial kitchen. Natural gas for the cook top and and 40 amp circuit for all the rest.

ulav8r
04-15-2024, 10:13 PM
Plumbed my new house for propane, furnace and fireplace operating already. Water heater hooked up but not turned on yet. Cooktop and freestanding stove fireplace not hooked up yet. 8-9 months after turning on fireplace and opening up the tank we would occasionally smell an odd odor in the kitchen, but did not smell like gas. Soap bubbles did not show any leak. Gas detector similar to https://www.amazon.com/Detector-PT199-Natural-Portable-Combustible/dp/B0B62LBZPC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3E3N1ISKTGP4D&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.wFwECTFpSp-_8wc_UyP2doETnY0dvkUxVsQZb8Ruv9Fxs_iNRs2mj-5oS8NZabP8TrukIGPEP86aqxPCFkCEhc62HHqgjUywVpvkyszi eDUvPC9xV6QoC5AxyiF8AzF2l1VJEI28u-41KzcmZeMXKettuGG5plOuWlFo0aZGyW_39NQQjXAqc_72-e9KOM9WB4xQzFhYloc7EYIgTDn6mRi9A4BzhPcId-vk_oPfgx-sI-6VjkQVvQe0k1LH1M1XEYtQlhrUkOcNaVBbYzTw2aj20FipIMc2 TTmqFYxWFBg.XensG7mUxayaRzkdRbde9zw9_EgppJDpQnp3G6 MgcyI&dib_tag=se&keywords=gas%2Bleak%2Bdetector%2Bfor%2Bhome&qid=1713232894&sprefix=gas%2Bleak%2Bdetector%2Caps%2C352&sr=8-6&th=1 indicated a leak where the cooktop will be going. Took out the plug and re-gooped it. Detector then indicated no leak. Then used the detector at every connection in and under the house. Cheap insurance to recheck at intervals.

Need at least one convection oven in the house, will cook chocolate chip cookies to perfection in about 15 minutes from turning it on. Much quicker than any oven that has to pre-heat.

M-Tecs
04-15-2024, 10:54 PM
Need at least one convection oven in the house, will cook chocolate chip cookies to perfection in about 15 minutes from turning it on. Much quicker than any oven that has to pre-heat.

Convection ovens still normally need to be pre-heated. They are just standard ovens with a fan. That being said if it works for you no reason to change.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-a-convection-oven-and-when-do-i-use-it-appliance-guides-from-the-kitchen-216549

cwtebay
04-15-2024, 10:58 PM
Any caveman can run black pipe, it ain't rocket science. Slather on a liberal (I hate that word) amount of pipe goop rated for gas and make the joints tight, then test with soapy water.
If this is beyond your ability, you probably should not be reloading shells either.
I have two furnaces in my house, and I did not like the job the furnace guys did, so I redid it.
I also installed gas logs for my fireplace and removed the electric cook top and replaced with gas, all with black pipe, none of that flexy stuff.Well, I stopped doing gas when I had kids. I did it before, still do it in my outbuildings. My house? Nope. I watched one of my best friends bury his family because of a gas leak. I will sell cans or plasma or my clothes to pay someone that does this for a living each and every day.
I reload for myself and my family so I don't get your comment. It's like saying a pilot shouldn't be flying if he can't bake a cake.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
I also installed gas logs for my fireplace and removed the electric cook top and replaced with gas, all with black pipe, none of that flexy stuff.

[smilie=s:[smilie=l: :castmine: :holysheep

Regarding the trades:
It's tough to know all the tricks and codes of all the trades. While I have swapped out a gas cook stove here and there, I've never run black pipe. During the street construction and Utility upgrades in my neighborhood in 2017, the Gas company ran a new supply line and installed a new meter to my 100 yr old house. The New meter leaked a tiny tiny bit. I called the gas company. They came out and fixed it. Guess what, it still leaked. I called 'em again, they sent out the same kid that installed it and tried to fix it. Unlike the first repair attempt, I sat right behind this kid and watched his every move, just like a over-zealous boss. The Kid said that he had this, so I could go about my business. I told him, four eyes and two 'smellers' are better than one. It took him quite a bit longer on this re-repair visit, but he got it right the third time. Just goes to show ya, if a gas company employee can't get it leak free the first time, how is the average home owner gonna fair? even if he has extensive boolit casting experience?
:guntootsmiley:

johnsonian09
04-16-2024, 12:01 PM
Even if I wanted to do it, the way insurance and stuff works here in ct. if something went wrong it would probably be considered grave negligence. Inspection passing or not.

I’ve worked as a mechanic, carpenter, framer, glazier, etc. dabbled in plumbing and electric for friends and myself.

Zero interest in messing with gas.

A man has to know when it’s smarter to ask someone else to do it. Someone who’s done it before. And already has the knowledge and the skill and the equipment. By the time I buy all those tools and learn to use it right the other guy will have installed 20 ovens in 20 houses

Ed K
04-16-2024, 02:44 PM
Even if I wanted to do it, the way insurance and stuff works here in ct. if something went wrong it would probably be considered grave negligence. Inspection passing or not.

I’ve worked as a mechanic, carpenter, framer, glazier, etc. dabbled in plumbing and electric for friends and myself.

Zero interest in messing with gas.

A man has to know when it’s smarter to ask someone else to do it. Someone who’s done it before. And already has the knowledge and the skill and the equipment. By the time I buy all those tools and learn to use it right the other guy will have installed 20 ovens in 20 houses

You raise a good point. On the flip side can you trust who you hire? Just because someone has a gas license (easy to get) and is insured is not enough. Insurance requires me to hire a licensed chimney sweep. Have to climb the roof after to check their work. Over the years have had three friend's and family's homes burned on the first fire after a chimney clean.

Did my own gas and had building inspector sign-off for the record.

johnsonian09
04-16-2024, 02:47 PM
I’m not dismissing that it’s feasible to do yourself, or myself. And not subjecting ourselves to Joe schmo the handy man wannabe. Good references of course.

But just acknowledging the risks that do exist like anything else

Tazman1602
04-16-2024, 02:56 PM
We have always had gas — at least the last 30 years, hate electric. I’d guess you’re looking at a range in the $1K range…I do NOT mess with gas myself, don’t ask why…..

max it
04-16-2024, 11:46 PM
Do you only cook in the garage with cast iron?

John, that's me not giving enough info. Hot plate is only for heating up molds prior to casting. And actually if and when I take it up again it will be outdoors. I am coming off a high bll the last few years. Although I now realize that the lead is actually the lead stryphonite in the primers. Everyone around me is pushing me out side for this hobby.
My response was for someone who uses his kitchen for casting. Oh, and as far as smelting lead. That is definitely outdoors; In my bayou cooker with a cast iron pot; dedicated equipment.
Funny we are talking about ranges. Today my wife told me she has had it with the current one. We put it 9 years ago with the kitchen remodel. Her observations are that the glass in front of the oven collects streaks inside. We have had to do a big disassembly to clean it and it gets dirty again. We are real kitchen people and use everything a lot. Further it is full of scratches and one igniter wont work and others are getting too slow. Now I know how to change igniters however the one screw holding the gas distribution plate is corroded so I would have to use a drill-out and retap it. I offered, my wife refused. (see my loading room pic, elsewhere on this forum :oops:)
Oh, the brand is Jenn-Air.
So I think this time we will get something from HD. It will be much cheaper and do the same job.
Much obliged, Max

jsizemore
04-17-2024, 06:17 PM
Jenn-Air 2 speed downdraft fan is great for a casting exhaust. If noise is an issue you can mount it remotely and use 6" hard duct for your intake. 5" exhaust can be hard to find duct parts but increase to 6" and it's easy.

shooterg
04-18-2024, 11:58 PM
I want to switch to gas just because Joe don't like it .

Bmi48219
04-19-2024, 09:54 AM
…. Just because someone has a gas license (easy to get) and is insured is not enough. Insurance requires me to hire a licensed chimney sweep. Have to climb the roof after to check their work. Over the years have had three friend's and family's homes burned on the first fire after a chimney clean.
Did my own gas and had building inspector sign-off for the record.

In December 2000 we purchased a foreclosed four year old townhome in a newer ‘luxury’ development. There were four 3.000 square foot units in each building. The gas service was split into four meters clustered together.
When the weather moderated I noticed a faint whiff of natural gas by the meter cluster. Gas company came out and found a leaking union. The fun began when they turned the gas back on after repairs. Two of the meters were connected to the wrong units, since the place was built four years earlier. One of the owners, a snowbird, had been telling me his gas bill was outrageous, even though he had added insulation and kept his place at 50 degrees F all winter while he was in Florida. Turned out he’d been paying his neighbor’s bill.
Several inspectors had missed the switched addresses.
I’ve been and worked with skilled tradesmen all my life. None of this stuff is rocket science. There are codes and procedures that have to be followed. Things go south when people fail to do so.
I helped a friend run a gas line to supply a clothes dryer. He had some galvanized fittings he wanted to use to save a couple $$. Little things like that is how you get in trouble.

MT Gianni
04-19-2024, 07:28 PM
In December 2000 we purchased a foreclosed four year old townhome in a newer ‘luxury’ development. There were four 3.000 square foot units in each building. The gas service was split into four meters clustered together.
When the weather moderated I noticed a faint whiff of natural gas by the meter cluster. Gas company came out and found a leaking union. The fun began when they turned the gas back on after repairs. Two of the meters were connected to the wrong units, since the place was built four years earlier. One of the owners, a snowbird, had been telling me his gas bill was outrageous, even though he had added insulation and kept his place at 50 degrees F all winter while he was in Florida. Turned out he’d been paying his neighbor’s bill.
Several inspectors had missed the switched addresses.
I’ve been and worked with skilled tradesmen all my life. None of this stuff is rocket science. There are codes and procedures that have to be followed. Things go south when people fail to do so.
I helped a friend run a gas line to supply a clothes dryer. He had some galvanized fittings he wanted to use to save a couple $$. Little things like that is how you get in trouble.

I was the jerk who shut down a project with the new married student housing when the meter for unit A had the heating for A and the water heater for B coming off it. The place had been drywalled by the time I saw it. I understood later that the local division manager over rode me and had someone turn it on anyway. I got my revenge later when one side was turned off for nonpayment 4 years later and the other had no hot water.

jsizemore
04-21-2024, 10:03 AM
I was the jerk who shut down a project with the new married student housing when the meter for unit A had the heating for A and the water heater for B coming off it. The place had been drywalled by the time I saw it. I understood later that the local division manager over rode me and had someone turn it on anyway. I got my revenge later when one side was turned off for nonpayment 4 years later and the other had no hot water.

I bet that was an eye opener when they got in the shower.

tunnug
04-21-2024, 12:52 PM
My wife's uncle smelled gas in the backyard, called the gas company, they came out and shut the meter and locked it, said "call us when it's fixed", cost him 3K and a month without gas.
When the same thing happened to my in-laws house I went over and saw they had buried black iron pipe without protection and over the years had rusted through, went to the hardware store and bought green iron pipe (coated for burial) and we re-plumbed the house, only cost them a few hundred.
I'm not a plumber but have enough knowledge plus a hand threader, they only run a stove, water heater and furnace, hardly ever all at the same time, used one inch pipe with half inch stubouts at the appliances, 3/4 at the furnace, where we are this would require an inspection only with new construction.
Being friends with a plumber helped me making sure what I did was proper and safe.
Had to add that the house was from the late 50's and the gas line circled the house outside of the slab, came out of the ground and went in where it was needed, certainly made things easier.