PDA

View Full Version : Another safety glasses reminder.

littlejack
04-14-2024, 05:17 PM
I was at the gun club earlier this week lighting off some 9mm's. Second to the last round in the magazine, blew pessure and powder in my face, barked oddly, recoil was different, more smoke than usual and jammed the slide. After removing the magazine and getting the slide back, I could see the fired case was turned around 180° and pushed a ways into the chamber. I removed the case, and saw where the case had blown out in the unsupported section of the chamber. The last round was pointing straight up still in the magazine. The case, Winchester, looked good, except for the blow out. Don't know the issue, unless it was a tired case, or ???? If not for my safety glasses, I would have surely wound up with debris in my eye/eyes. It definately pays to be safe.
I had implants in my eyes a couple years ago. The implants were such that I could shoot a handgun with no glasses and see the sights. After the implants, if I wore my prescription glasses, the sights were blurry. So, I went down to COSTCO, and had a pair of glasses with polycarbonate lenses with no prescription at all. They work great. Let's be careful out there. We only have one pair of eyes.

wilecoyote
04-14-2024, 05:24 PM
+1:drinks:

dverna
04-14-2024, 06:22 PM
I am confused about how a case can turn around 180 degrees.

contender1
04-14-2024, 07:06 PM
Kudos on being a safe shooter.

I stress it all the time.

littlejack
04-14-2024, 07:14 PM
Don, when you figure it out, please let me know.

shooting on a shoestring
04-14-2024, 09:29 PM
Glasses.
Amen!
I’ve been blessed to have worn them since before first grade. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard a little “tick” hit my glasses. Machine shop, shooting, chemistry, carpentry, motor bike. Glasses are a blessing.

Hick
04-14-2024, 10:19 PM
I've always been a believer-- but I became even more of a believer one day when a 22 LR case blew out at the base in one of my 22 rifles. I have no idea how the pressure got around the bolt-- but I felt the blast hit my face (yes, I was wearing shooting glasses). Even a 22 in a bolt rifle??

Texas by God
04-14-2024, 11:16 PM
I’ve gotten the “dry eye” from gas coming back a few times over decades of shooting.
I’ve been lucky; I wear Beretta shooting glasses now that I’m older and marginally smarter….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rintinglen
04-15-2024, 01:00 AM
For a couple of years I had a pair of goggles with a blob of lead right in front of my right eye. I was pouring some sprues back in the pot when a larger piece fell off the spoon and splashed up at my face. If it had hit my eye, I'd have been very sorry. Safety glasses save eyes,

tazman
04-15-2024, 05:11 AM
The job I retired from after forty years required the use of safety glasses at all times for very good reason. Wearing them while shooting has never been an issue for me.
Whenever I get a new set of glasses, I order them with safety lenses just because.
There have been a few places that didn't want to order safety lenses for some reason so I went somewhere else.

Bigslug
04-15-2024, 08:16 AM
Don, when you figure it out, please let me know.

Typical 6:00 case head blow-outs will direct their force into the magazine. That's probably the cause of the wonky orientation of the following cartridge, which likely pushed on the blown case differently than is the case in normal operation. Couple that with what isn't going to be normal extraction. . .sure, it could swap ends and get re-chambered backwards.

max it
04-15-2024, 08:22 AM
Jack; Cheap bifocal wraparound safety glasses from Amazon for me. and all my glasses are polycarbonate. I am glad nothing serious happened!

charlie b
04-15-2024, 08:43 PM
Glasses.
Amen!
I’ve been blessed to have worn them since before first grade. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard a little “tick” hit my glasses. Machine shop, shooting, chemistry, carpentry, motor bike. Glasses are a blessing.

Only been wearing mine for 30 years, but, yes, the 'tink' has happened MANY times. Reinforced when those 'tinks' also result in a bit of something that is embedded in my cheek :)

376Steyr
04-17-2024, 03:25 PM
I always get the poly-carbonate option for my glasses at Costco. They may not be 100% safety rated and certified, but they sure beat nothing when things go wrong.
I had a double-charge in a .45 ACP do pretty much what your 9mm did. Another time I learned the lesson about not shooting someone else's reloads in, of all things, a .458 Winchester. Both times I had hot gases going into my face, but I had my glasses on.
I only need my glasses for distance, so I keep a set of safety glasses on my loading bench. They go on the second I step up to the bench.

littlejack
04-20-2024, 04:50 PM
Good to hear no one has sustained serious or permanent injury.

wilecoyote
04-20-2024, 05:04 PM
...just today my glasses stopped a splash of boiling water: I had slipped a potato into it_ enough said

beemer
04-21-2024, 08:15 AM
I worked in a furniture machine room for 45 years. I have seen and helped clean up messes. A finger is bad enough but I have seen a couple guy's loose an eye. Except under extreme circumstances it is preventable. I wore prescription safety glasses for years and have had them damaged by flying debris. After cataract surgery I found several pair of bifocal safety glasses. Chainsaw, shooting, woodworking, whatever, I wear them.

BP Dave
04-21-2024, 10:10 AM
My self-imposed rule is to put on safety glasses whenever I enter my workshop. One time I was removing a rear sight on a Remington rolling block--I loosened the screw holding down the leaf spring, but the spring and screw remained in place. When I leaned closer to see what was holding them down, 100+ years of grease and dirt gave up their grip and the spring launched that screw right smack into the middle of the right lens of my glasses, hard enough to leave a little mark.

You never know when the little project you're working on will produce a projectile aimed at your eyes--it's not only when working with power tools.
And putting glasses on after the event doesn't help much.

Hillbillyhunter
04-21-2024, 09:04 PM
Good reminder to protect our eyesight. I wasn't always great about protecting my hearing when I was younger... shooting, motorcycles, chainsaws and other outdoor power equipment. I have ringing and hearing loss now.

wilecoyote
04-21-2024, 09:16 PM
strange thing: I hated and I hate motorcycle helmets, but I've always used glasses on motorbikes, and I can't stand to use my industrial vacuum cleaner without shooting hearmuffs...

littlejack
04-21-2024, 11:12 PM
Wow
Another close call yesterday. I was casting up some 311284 boolits for my Krag. I had just ladle'd and poured both cavities. With the mould over the pot, some of the molten sprue dribbled off the edge of the mould into the molten alloy. Then a drop of lead splashed up and hit the lense of my right eye about one cm from center towards my nose. Looks like I will also be wearing my face shield, or buying a pair of goggles to go over my glasses. Gonna get crowded up there on my ears, what with my hearing aids, glasses and face shield or goggles. Be safe.

Jtarm
04-24-2024, 08:19 PM
I was at the gun club earlier this week lighting off some 9mm's. Second to the last round in the magazine, blew pessure and powder in my face, barked oddly, recoil was different, more smoke than usual and jammed the slide. After removing the magazine and getting the slide back, I could see the fired case was turned around 180° and pushed a ways into the chamber. I removed the case, and saw where the case had blown out in the unsupported section of the chamber. The last round was pointing straight up still in the magazine. The case, Winchester, looked good, except for the blow out. Don't know the issue, unless it was a tired case, or ???? If not for my safety glasses, I would have surely wound up with debris in my eye/eyes. It definately pays to be safe.
I had implants in my eyes a couple years ago. The implants were such that I could shoot a handgun with no glasses and see the sights. After the implants, if I wore my prescription glasses, the sights were blurry. So, I went down to COSTCO, and had a pair of glasses with polycarbonate lenses with no prescription at all. They work great. Let's be careful out there. We only have one pair of eyes.

Implants? Tell me more.

elmacgyver0
04-24-2024, 09:04 PM
Cataract surgery?
or some kind of cyborg?

country gent
04-24-2024, 09:28 PM
safety glasses arnt just for shooting casting and reloading. Fishing, shop environments, cutting grass, snow removal, working with animals all may need them

One close call I was fishing the local walleye run A guy beside me snagged up and when the heavy jig came loose it flew up hit me popping the lense from my glasses. Luckily no injury and the top of the waders caught the lense, so I was able to go up on bank and pop it back in.

littlejack
04-26-2024, 12:16 PM
Regarding the implants.
Not much more to tell. Each (left and right) implant have a different prescription, or magnification, if that's the way to call it. I'm right eye dominant, so the right implant is set to focus on the sights without distortion or being blurry. Without the implant or with my prescription glasses the sights were blurry and the target was clear. Now with the implants, the sights are clear. When not shooting, I wear my prescription glasses and my sight is normal.

.429&H110
04-26-2024, 10:01 PM
Told this before, one of the highlights of my working career...

Was recovering a big rooftop chiller, pulling the vapor after removing the liquid.
needed two levels of staging to reach it we were sitting in the sun at 12 feet
Recovery machine under me blew off a hose at #500+ (New hose rated #1000, cold)
Hose started whipping around. R-410a is gonna save the ozone, love the stuff.
I hopped down, shut off my manifold, machine and recovery tank.
Went and got another hose and more ice.
My student worker put on his safety glasses and wore them from then on.

What are we gonna do when we run propane refrigerant? Go boom to save the world?

max it
05-22-2024, 08:58 AM
Good reminder to protect our eyesight. I wasn't always great about protecting my hearing when I was younger... shooting, motorcycles, chainsaws and other outdoor power equipment. I have ringing and hearing loss now.

yes sir, hearing aids help me on this. the good ones have some sort of tinitus masking program.