PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to me, a couple days early

Boerrancher
02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
As some of you know this weekend is my Birthday, and the wife's is just a few days after mine. We are going out of town for the weekend thanks to a couple of friends, treating us to a mini vacation for our Birthdays. The only thing that stinks about going away for the weekend is I just bought a brand new in the box Rossi Mod 92 pre-safety chambered for the 45LC, and I will have to wait until Monday to shoot it. I already have one nearly like it that I bought nearly 18 years ago, that is a tack driver with cast boolits. I only hope that it shoots as well as my old one. I had been wanting a second mod 92 but didn't want the safety. I was wanting it in a 44-40 but could not pass up a NIB pre safety 45LC. I can always rebarrel the one that shoots the worst to a 44-40 at some point in time.

The shop owner said a lot of people have looked at it over the years but no one wanted the 45LC. He said he could have sold it a hundred times over had it been a 44 mag. Then he proceeded to tell me how hard 45LC ammo was to find, and harder to sell as he had several single action revolvers in the same chambering that he hadn't moved. I just shrugged as he was telling me all of this, and started thinking about the thousand or so pieces of new 45LC brass that I have bagged up waiting to be loaded, not counting the 400 or so that I already have loaded. The shop owner was only asking $450 for the rifle, and I know the new ones with the safety are going for around $600 in this neck of the woods. I looked up from the rifle and told him considering how hard ammo was to get, I would give him the $450 but he ate the sales tax. Some paper work and a phone call later and I walked out with the Rifle.

I saw it a couple weeks ago but didn't have the money for it yet, but figured if it was New with out the safety It had probably been there for a long time, and wouldn't go anywhere. I looked at the price and milled around some more then headed out. Yesterday I called them to ask if they still had it, and ask them to hold it for me as I was interested in it. I went in this morning and looked at it. It just had to follow me home and all the way into the gun safe.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

exile
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Happy birthday to you and your wife. Nothing cheers me up like a new gun. I have been dreaming about a Stag Arms lefty, but that is simply more money than I have to spend. How is your son doing? We pray that he is well. I worked in Chillicothe, MO for 31/2 years before moving to Nebraska. Don't know how far that is from you. Hope you enjoy your new gun.

exile

HABCAN
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Happy Anticipation Birthday!

EDK
02-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Happy Birthday Buddy

Hey Joe, where roughly are you located....I'm between Arnold and Festus, off I-55.

There ain't no flies on that gun. You have probably done your homework already, but for the edification of the others.

Go to lasc.us for Glenn Fryxells article on MARLIN 1894s in 357-44-45 and use it for a reference for load development. I'm a 44 man, but it's hard to argue with Glenn's facts and figures!

Reference to John Taffin/Mike Venturino on why there were no 45 Long Colt lever actions back in the Old West era. There are now dimensional changes in the rim and the extractor groove on cases just up from the rim that allow the extractors to work. Back when I started reading up on reloading as a teen ager in the 60s, there was a lot written about the hassle of loading 45 Colt due to the tiny rim...it was easy to pull a case out of the shell holder with a re-sizing die.

I started with an original 1892 re-bored to 357 Magnum by NU LINE GUNS, formerly of St Louis. Drifted to 44s when I got back from RVN; then 45s in the 80s; now back to 44 and some 357 with an interest in Cowboy Action Shooting. A lever gun in pistol calibers is a "must have item" for anyone who lives out in the country....and objects to the coyotes chewing on livestock or small pets. The only rabbits around my place are close to the house because the dogs keep the coyotes at a distance.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

runfiveswife
02-20-2009, 01:12 PM
happy birthday friend hope you have a good one

j20owner
02-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Happy Birthday!

cajun shooter
02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
You can always bring the 92 along and go down some country road Joe. Have a Good One!!!

waksupi
02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Happy birthday to you both.

Hmmmmm, mini-vacation? All expense paid trip to Iowa for the weekend maybe? That could run 14, 15 bucks!

45nut
02-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Happy Birthday Joe!

Great choice of cartridge if ya ask me!

monadnock#5
02-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Happy Birthdays to you and your Wife Joe. Have a really nice weekend.

Leadforbrains
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Happy Birthday to you and yours. Congratulations on the new 92!

sav300
02-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Happy birthday to you both from downunder where it is hot and humid,still.
Have fun and enjoy.
Lionel