PDA

View Full Version : Reminder to check CCW expiration dates

MrWolf
04-07-2024, 04:00 AM
Just a reminder. We were getting ready to go to a doc appointment in VA and had just finished getting dressed ( and of course my pistol) when I had a thought that my CCW must be getting close. Ours are good for five (5) years. I checked and mine expired in October. Put the pistol back and told my gf good thing I checked as there was a lot of police activity on our drive. She just said I could have put it I her purse as hers still has two years to go ( love that woman). I called our Sheriff's office and they said they do not send out reminders and that is up to the individual but that they do offer a grace period for renewing. I will be there Monday morning with my $50 and paperwork. West Virginia even allows a deduction on our State tax returns for the fee. Check your expiration dates to make sure you do not have any interruptions.
Ron

cwtebay
04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Good post.
I have heard people complain about not being reminded - I personally feel that 1) shouldn't have to jump through this hoop
2) it's not up to the king to remind us when our encumbrance is due.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

dale2242
04-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Oregon WILL NOT remind you.
It is up to you to check.

Remmy4477
04-07-2024, 08:39 AM
Colorado, no reminders. Wife and I are still good for two years.

Half Dog
04-07-2024, 08:44 AM
Thanks. I just checked mine.

Jeffrey
04-07-2024, 10:16 AM
Check your state's website for proper procedure as well. Long story short; I showed up at State Police station for my renewal, hours early, to be first in line. Official comes out, calls out "Senior citizens come over here. You get in first. Handicapped applicants get behind them.' I now have about 40 people ahead of me. 'Any renewals here?' I raise my hand. 'You need to send your paperwork to the Jackson office. All renewals are being done there. That was posted on the website last week.'

MrWolf
04-07-2024, 10:55 AM
Check your state's website for proper procedure as well. Long story short; I showed up at State Police station for my renewal, hours early, to be first in line. Official comes out, calls out "Senior citizens come over here. You get in first. Handicapped applicants get behind them.' I now have about 40 people ahead of me. 'Any renewals here?' I raise my hand. 'You need to send your paperwork to the Jackson office. All renewals are being done there. That was posted on the website last week.'

Wow. Mine just said don't wait to long. Said I will be there in a few days. She said bring your CCW, Driver's license, and $50. It will take awhile as the papers have to be notarized, etc. I already downloaded and printed out the form, have my checkbook and made a copy of my driver's license. My local bank is across the street from them so will have the papers notarized before I get there. I really love this state and so glad I moved here for a lot of reasons.

Jack Russel
04-07-2024, 11:16 AM
My sheriff sends notice. Berks County,PA

bosterr
04-07-2024, 11:39 AM
My sheriff sends notice. Berks County,PA

Mine doesn't. Venango County.

Dennis Eugene
04-07-2024, 11:47 AM
State of Alaska sends our renewals reminders I recently received mine, Thank You. D.

Bmi48219
04-07-2024, 12:09 PM
Florida makes it easy. A reminder 30-45 days before expiration. Renewal can be on-line, via mail or in person at the tax collector’s office.
The first two options require the holder to purchase digital photos and upload/ mail them with application. There’s also another fee so the total comes to around $125. In person they take your photo, you sign a digital form and walk out with a freshly printed permit for around $75.00.
I just renewed my a few months ago. I waited 10 minutes while another applicant renewed. Once they called me in the whole process took 10 minutes. I think they let you renew up to a couple months after the expiration date without going through applying for a new permit.
It may be different in other counties.

Randy Bohannon
04-07-2024, 12:11 PM
In Wyoming no notice if it expires you start the process all over again, however the only reason to have one is no ATF phone call just fill out the 4473 form and go. Constitutional Carry is a nice right, don’t be a criminal you’re good to go.

Rapier
04-07-2024, 12:18 PM
FL no longer requires a CWP, with its new universal carry business, but is a catch 28, you will get a waiting period and no reciprocity across state lnes, without having a written CWP. So now no renewal notice will be sent. Last was $60 for six years.
School where my daughter works cancelled their CWP classes...a bit of confusion as to use and need.

marshall623
04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
I just renewed my in Va , it seems to me that a reminder was sent . In Va cost is up to the county . A guy I work with let his expire and he had to go through the whole ordeal again including taking a in-person class. I'm good for 5 more years .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tatume
04-07-2024, 03:18 PM
I just renewed my in Va , it seems to me that a reminder was sent . In Va cost is up to the county . A guy I work with let his expire and he had to go through the whole ordeal again including taking a in-person class. I'm good for 5 more years .

If you join Virginia Citizens Defense League they will send reminders to renew your permit. This a great organization fighting for our gun rights in Virginia. Membership only costs $25 per year, they send email legislative updates frequently, and when you need to notify your delegate, state senator, or the Governor, they send you a link that sends a pre-written letter (which you can edit if you wish). They organize lobby-day excursions to the Capitol. They point out untruthful statements and claims by the anti-gunners (which in Virginia right now includes EVERY democrat), and they do TV and newspaper interviews frequently.

In my opinion they are the most effective gun-rights lobbyists in the Commonwealth.

https://vcdl.org/

Tatume
04-07-2024, 03:23 PM
Oh! Here in Virginia you can renew up to six months early, and the clerk of court will preserve your original expiration date on the five year cycle. VCDL sent me a renewal notice in March that my permit would expire in October of this year. I renewed, and my new permit expires in October of 2029.

warren5421
04-07-2024, 04:18 PM
Indiana offers a life time permit or a 5 year permit or consitutional carry/no permit

panhed65
04-07-2024, 06:16 PM
Pa used to send out a renewal notice, at some point they changed from an envelope to a postcard, and someone sued them over it, now they do not notify you, renewing is pretty easy, just takes some time like most things government related.
Barry

Handloader109
04-07-2024, 07:32 PM
Arkansas doesn't send any reminders on DL or CCW. As a constitutional carry state, I let mine and wife's expire during the shutdowns. And at $200 ain't gonna renew. I can drive to LA, MS and not worry.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Baltimoreed
04-07-2024, 07:42 PM
My ccw runs out this month along with my DL. I filled out my application last month and paid so I’m waiting for a call to come by the sheriffs office to pick it up. Probably do my drivers license next week. Used to be able to walk in but now you need to make an appointment. I got a reminder.

35 Rem
04-07-2024, 08:38 PM
Alabama doesn't send reminders either. I let mine expire a few weeks before noticing it. I was still able to renew on-line and got a text a few days later saying it was ready to pick up. Very easy. The one point about the process that does irritates me is that they have a "no concealed guns allowed" sign on the door of the office where you go to pick up the permit. Do they trust me or not? Why do they give permits to people they don't trust to carry a gun??

Bazoo
04-07-2024, 08:44 PM
Kentucky sends a reminder, and they have a 6 month grace period after it's expired for a small extra fee.

frkelly74
04-07-2024, 09:55 PM
Michigan, no reminder for permits to carry or drivers license. Permit cost is $125 to renew and a 3% upcharge to use a credit card. I renewed in person at the court house, They have an airport like security set up to get in. I had a 7/16 box in wrench in my coat pocket that I forgot about and they didn't like that. They also didn't care for my remark about " Check Point Charlie".

Blkpwdrbuff
04-07-2024, 10:11 PM
Utah sends out a notice.I just got mine and sent it off a couple of weeks ago.
Blkpwdrbuff

Shell knob
04-07-2024, 11:03 PM
My situation is a little different, being retired LE. Once a year I go to my former employer, the County Sheriff, grab a range officer, and shoot a qualifying round. Then they slap a new sticker on my retired ID, and I’m good for another year.

waksupi
04-08-2024, 10:33 AM
No notices in Montana, though I would get a notice from the RCMP for my PAL renewals. RCMP asks for a current background check to renew. I sent them a copy of a recent FBI background check, since I was still working for a firearm manufacturer. They sent it back, and said it had to be from the local sheriff!

MrWolf
04-08-2024, 04:21 PM
Wow. Some of you folks have to jump through hoops. While gf was at doc, I walked over to the bank across the street from the Sheriff's, deposited a check and had my form notarized. Walked to Sheriff's and they took a new pic, commented my signature hasn't changed, took my check for $50 and said we will mail it to me once it comes back. There were three other gentlemen there getting permit applications. Like I said, I love this state.

stubshaft
04-08-2024, 04:31 PM
My CCW is from VA also. Luckily, I checked earlier this year and was just within 30 days from expiring, and was able to renew it.

MrWolf
04-10-2024, 06:09 PM
Update. As I said, I went to the Sheriff's office on Monday morning. My new permit it was in my mailbox THIS MORNING! I couldn't believe it. They basically would have had to have processed and completed it on Monday and got it in the mail for me to get it this morning. I really love this state.

Bodean98
04-10-2024, 08:12 PM
Kansas sends out renewal notices.
Filled mine out, notarized and sent off last week!

FISH4BUGS
04-12-2024, 11:22 AM
What CCW? NH is a constitutional carry state.
I got mine anyway just to make sure of any question.
MA non-resident carry is an ANNUAL renewal and they make it as difficult and expensive as they can.
ME? Constitutional carry
VT? ditto
The moral of the story?
Stay out of Massachusetts!

quack1
04-12-2024, 01:54 PM
Pa used to send out a renewal notice, at some point they changed from an envelope to a postcard, and someone sued them over it, now they do not notify you, renewing is pretty easy, just takes some time like most things government related.
Barry

Butler county sends out renewal notices. My last renewal was in 2022, don't remember if it was a card or letter. Just go to the sheriffs office (in the courthouse) fill out the paper, get a new picture taken, pay them, (I think $25) and get your card. They're good for 5 years.

MrWolf
04-12-2024, 09:43 PM
What CCW? NH is a constitutional carry state.
I got mine anyway just to make sure of any question.
MA non-resident carry is an ANNUAL renewal and they make it as difficult and expensive as they can.
ME? Constitutional carry
VT? ditto
The moral of the story?
Stay out of Massachusetts!

We are Constitutional Carry here also. I live near the VA border and constantly go to Winchester, VA and such so the CCW is necessary to carry there and some other states ( though MD makes it tough to go through their tiny piece for me to get to PA).

Blkpwdrbuff
04-12-2024, 10:57 PM
Got my new permit today.
Didn't take too long.
Blkpwdrbuff

Baltimoreed
04-12-2024, 11:00 PM
Called the sheriff’s office the other day. Hadn’t come back. They’ll call me when it does.

cwtebay
04-13-2024, 01:17 AM
Isn't it crazy? A law that requires a permit to carry a weapon to defend your self and family - that is enforced by folks that are carrying a weapon that are supposed to be defending you and your family.
I was approached by a deputy a few years ago (on my property) and the first thing he asked was for me to hand over my firearm for his safety. I replied that as soon as he handed over his - I would hand over mine. The sheriff was called by my wife, whom instructed the deputy to leave my property. He was looking for a missing 4 wheeler.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

trapper9260
04-13-2024, 05:22 AM
Here in Iowa you get no notice and it is Constitution carry . There is more places you can go with a permit, then without one in the state, also it makes it easier to buy a gun in the state. Also do not need to worry about when cross the state line in WI when go over the bridge of the Mississippi River . They accept IA permits. When renew your permit it is $25 ,when you first get one it is $50

Shawlerbrook
04-13-2024, 06:42 AM
No notice here in NYS and now recertification every 3 years.

georgerkahn
04-13-2024, 07:57 AM
No notice here in NYS and now recertification every 3 years.

"Thanks for getting me 'worried'" re this! :) "They" keep changing the rules/laws -- and my wife and I are both OK for ten more months -- and I still have NO idea HOW to renew. Other than the FACT that if you do not, you lose all your arms -- NOTE I do not know if their plan is to just take hand-guns; or all ones firearms if they do not re-certify -- not specified. I reckon I'll buy a box of Mr. Donut doughnuts and pay a visit to a LGS and hopefully get the directions I need. The COUNTIES issue the permits, but the STATE "handles" recertification. ??? Then, there's -- written in some places -- an in-person interview requirement, where in others -- JUST filling out a couple of forms on-line is all that is required. Annnd, for some -- the possible requirement of schooling and range proficiency? Re the range work and proficiency, I noted no provisions for folks requiring two canes to get about or other handicapped persons.
Again -- for me -- a forthcoming nightmare I'm NOT looking forward to!!!!!!
geo

Rickf1985
04-13-2024, 09:04 AM
NJ is great for changing the rules, about every two weeks. Even the cops have no idea what is legal and what is not at this point. My CCW is due this fall and I have to go through the same police QC1 qualification test as I did when I got the permit. I also have to get three personal references, again. I also have to pay for two background checks and pay 200.00 to the state. So for those of you thinking you have it tough..............................

MrWolf
04-13-2024, 07:43 PM
NJ is great for changing the rules, about every two weeks. Even the cops have no idea what is legal and what is not at this point. My CCW is due this fall and I have to go through the same police QC1 qualification test as I did when I got the permit. I also have to get three personal references, again. I also have to pay for two background checks and pay 200.00 to the state. So for those of you thinking you have it tough..............................

After 57 years years there I had enough and have never been happier than where I am now. Get out while you can. Relatives can visit if they want.

Rickf1985
04-13-2024, 08:22 PM
If they ever settle my workers comp suit from 18 years ago I might have the money to move but I can't afford it right now. Then is the issue of the actual move, ten years ago I could have done a lot of the moving. Out of the question now. I have trouble picking up a bag of dog food.

MrWolf
04-14-2024, 08:55 AM
If they ever settle my workers comp suit from 18 years ago I might have the money to move but I can't afford it right now. Then is the issue of the actual move, ten years ago I could have done a lot of the moving. Out of the question now. I have trouble picking up a bag of dog food.

Sounds a lot like me. You can move and they will still settle the case. Mine did. Lot easier having professional folks do the move. I am still under the 10lb restriction until I see the doctor next week and would only move if professionals did it. Just not worth the pain and aggravation.