PDA

View Full Version : BBQ in Texas

Circuit Rider
04-05-2024, 03:07 PM
I have a friend whose son is stationed near Austin. I wanted to tell her about a BBQ place just northwest of Austin, but couldn't remember the name. Want to say Salt Lick? but not sure. Smoking pits are inside. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, C.R.

WILCO
04-05-2024, 03:24 PM
https://saltlickbbq.com/about/

Might be Salt lick, as guessed.

https://youtu.be/BEYe5vSvBcg?si=UHQ75bwSu-QEJQjj

txbirdman
04-05-2024, 06:12 PM
Franklin’s is the one I hear about all the time in Austin.

gwpercle
04-05-2024, 06:19 PM
I have never been able to get around Franklin's ... insane crowds around the place ... we couldn't get in / near the place .
But Salt Lick is one of our favorites ... big place with lots of dining area(s)...and parking !
I like Salt Lick a lot ... I even bought a "Salt Lick" Tee Shirt to show off ... people in Baton Rouge , Louisiana stop me on the street to talk Salt Lick .
We have been there many times and always enjoyed the food and atmosphere ... it's like a big old ranch on a hill top ... Cool Place and awesome food .
Gary

Half Dog
04-05-2024, 06:22 PM
If he gets a bit more north tell him to stop by Half Dogs BBQ (Half Dogs house). He won’t beat the price and I try to help young service members.

Delkal
04-05-2024, 06:28 PM
There are a lot of great BBQ places in Austin but if you are there you have to go to Franklins. There are always people waiting in line for hours before it even opens but at one time if you ordered $100 you could just call it in then walk past all those people to pick up your order. But this was years ago so see if they still do it.

10x
04-05-2024, 07:56 PM
I have never been to a BBQ dinner in Texas that didn't have incredible food. And that is from Galveston to Corpus Christi.
My wife was amazed. A huge warehouse like restaurant beside the highway with truckers access.
Living in Texas would shorten my lifespan considerable
A $8 plate of BBQ sausage, ribs, brisket, and vegetable trimmin's would feed one Texan or 5 or so Liberals
And the best thing, no vegans in sight.

gwpercle
04-06-2024, 11:21 AM
I have never been to a BBQ dinner in Texas that didn't have incredible food. And that is from Galveston to Corpus Christi.
My wife was amazed. A huge warehouse like restaurant beside the highway with truckers access.
Living in Texas would shorten my lifespan considerable
A $8 plate of BBQ sausage, ribs, brisket, and vegetable trimmin's would feed one Texan or 5 or so Liberals
And the best thing, no vegans in sight.

:goodpost:
LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
Gary

pertnear
04-06-2024, 11:44 AM
Best BBQ brisket in Austin is Franklin's. The only one that does it better is me, but it takes 12 hours & it's not for sale! :bigsmyl2:

HWooldridge
04-06-2024, 01:41 PM
BBQ in Texas is like pizza joints in Chicago - there are good ones everywhere. The competition is such that bad ones go out of business quickly - same as taco shops.

We like Harmon’s in Cibolo. It’s a little family place on the square. Their brisket is superlative. Cooper’s is good, too - and they have several locations; the one in Junction is one of the better ones.

375RUGER
04-06-2024, 02:23 PM
Lot of times I grab something at the Salt Lick in the airport on my way out of Austin.

Stiles Switch BBQ is on Lamar on the NW side of Austin.

Donn's on 969 is where I usually go.

Circuit Rider
04-07-2024, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys, Wilco that's the one I'm thinking of. Thanks, C.R.

challenger_i
04-07-2024, 11:08 AM
Head up HWY 71 from Austin. When you get to LLano, stop at Coopers. DON'T go on Sunday, as you'll never get in the joint! Go early if you want the goat, as it sells out quick! And... GO HUNGRY! :)

shtur
04-10-2024, 01:11 PM
The only place I would go to when I lived in Austin was Iron Works BBQ. It used to be a hole-in-the-wall place, but more people go there now.