PDA

View Full Version : Ohaus 10.10 scale

Maineboy
02-20-2009, 09:09 AM
I have an Ohaus 10.10 scale I bought back in the early 70s that has see quite a bit of service. From what I can determine, it is pretty much like the RCBS 10.10 scale. Mine has recently developed 2 problems that may or may no be related. The first is the number scale on the balance beam has become loose on one end and I'm afraid it will fall off. Will putting a dab of glue on it to hold it in place mess it up? By that I mean, will it still weigh accurately? The second problem also has to do with the balance beam. I cannot fully zero it on a level surface, even when the left leg adjuster is turned all the way in. In that position the pointer is slightly above the 0 mark. If I slightly loosen the screw on the balance beam weight, it will move the weight up the beam and the pointer will then indicate zero. I was thinking of adding slightly thicker washer to the weight because I don't like the idea of leaving the screw loose so it could back out some more and really throw things out of wack. Will a thicker (therefor heavier) washer itselfthrow the scale out of wack?

broomhandle
02-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi Maineboy,

Contact RCBS, any repair to a scale should be done at the factory.
Great people to deal with.

Be SAFE,
broomhandle

Pepe Ray
02-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi;
I, too, have an Ohaus 10-10. same vintage. A power failure back up.
1st Yes, adding glue will ,slightly, alter the balance beam. Got do it. No sweat.
2nd. I don't think your moving that screw would be a satisfactory fix.
Aside from the fact that the adjustment for this unit is found in the shot in the pan support, I'd be looking for the cause of the change.
My best,first guess would be the condition of the knife edges, their seats and cleanliness of both, as well as there position, laterally, while in operation. ie Are the ends rubbing somewhere?
Sounds to me like we're talking of only 1 or 2 tenths out of whack, right? It doesn't take much dust or lost glue flakes to throw it out.
It's a great scale. Made to last. You'll get it figured out.
Pepe Ray

IcerUSA
02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Get in touch with Ohaus and ask .

Not that hard to fix what you dicscribed , use some good contact glue and wipe the excess off once you press the scale label down , take the screw out of the cup holder and remove 1 weight replaceing with a number 6 shot or a couple 4 shot , will have to play around abit with the weight to get it so you can adjust it to your liking , then check it out with some check weights to make sure it reads good at differant weights .

Keith

Maineboy
03-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I got the scale to balance okay by taking out one of the larger shot weights in the pan holder and replacing it with 2 #6 shots. I zeroed it then checked it with three known weights. It works perfectly. I still haven't glued the floppy number scale to the balance beam though. Thanks for the suggestions.

1hole
03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
"I still haven't glued the floppy number scale to the balance beam though."

Fix it. Put a single drop of cynoacralate glue ("Super Glue/Crazy Glue/Instant Glue") on it (under it actually), spread it around wth a toothpick so it's very thin but pretty well covered and push the flopper down. With a pencil to avoid glueing your finger to it!

That stuff is about the lightest glue you will find and therefore least likely to mess up the accuracy of your fine scale.