PDA

View Full Version : Snub nose .32 H&R Mag load data. 100 Grain

Ultarnr25
04-03-2024, 10:31 AM
Good Morning,
I am new to reloading and have all my supplies decided except the correct powder to use for my practice range ammo. I have the S&W Ultra Carry (J frame) in .32 H&R Magnum. I plan to only reload .32HR and.38 Special with cast lead for paper targets.

Will be using Starline .32 H&R brass, CCI Small pistol primer and Rim Rock Bullets.32 100 grain RNFP (.313) and their .32 100 GR. DEWC (.313). These are all I can currently find for range ammo. I got their info from the Handloader article by Brian Pearce:
https://www.handloadermagazine.com/32-h-r-magnum-pet-loads

That article has a chart for J-Frames and the Rim Roc 100 Grain RNFP with 6.0 grains of A-7 is listed as : "Potentially being the most accurate with that particular bullet". I was ready to purchase the Accurate #7 but was told by the only reloader i know that "A-7 is for larger caliber loads and is dirty". Is there any truth to that or should i stick with A-7 as posted on Handloader article.

I have The Modern Reloading Man. 2nd Edition and it only has Bullseye listed for 100 grain .32HR MAg.

If you have a recommendation for a better powder to use with 100 grains threw a snub nose than #7 for .32 H&R i would really apricate any insight. Thank you!

racepres
04-03-2024, 11:24 AM
Don't know about better...But, I have had much more success with AA#5 than AA#7 in 32's. In fact AA#5 is my go to, in .32, H&R or S&WLong.. or, good ole Unique...which cannot be sourced locally here...so BE-86
tho Unique has not been bested in 32S&W (no L)

gwpercle
04-03-2024, 06:59 PM
Accurate #7 is a slower burning powder , better suited to longer barrels and possibly larger bores ... It wouldn't be my first choice ... or my second .
Accurate #5 is shown in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 as possibly the most accurate powder with a 100gr. cast bullet .
I , at first , thought Accurate #5 would be too sloww , but looking at the data ...
it might be just the ticket ... The 32 H&R Magnum develops more pressure than I thought . No loading data is shown for A #7 ... so it might be a little too slow .
My first thought for powder was ... Unique and 231/HP-38 ... Accurate #5 is just a tad slower than Unique so A#5 makes sense in the 32 H&R Magnum .

If you are going to load cast bullets ...you realy Need the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition !
Lee's Modern Reloading Manual ... is ok at best but honestly ... it sorta Sucks Rocks ... and I like a lot of Lee Products ... just being honest about the reloading manual.
Gary

racepres
04-03-2024, 10:23 PM
Accurate #7 is a slower burning powder , better suited to longer barrels and possibly larger bores ... It wouldn't be my first choice ... or my second .
Accurate #5 is shown in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 as possibly the most accurate powder with a 100gr. cast bullet .
I , at first , thought Accurate #5 would be too sloww , but looking at the data ...
it might be just the ticket ... The 32 H&R Magnum develops more pressure than I thought . No loading data is shown for A #7 ... so it might be a little too slow .
My first thought for powder was ... Unique and 231/HP-38 ... Accurate #5 is just a tad slower than Unique so A#5 makes sense in the 32 H&R Magnum .

If you are going to load cast bullets ...you realy Need the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition !
Lee's Modern Reloading Manual ... is ok at best but honestly ... it sorta Sucks Rocks ... and I like a lot of Lee Products ... just being honest about the reloading manual.
Gary
Correction...3rd Edition...the 4th is Lame!!!

rintinglen
04-03-2024, 11:07 PM
I have had pretty fair luck with WW-231 in my experiments with the 32 H&R. An MP 314-640 100 grain HP over 4 grains is pretty good. Some place I have some loaded with Power Pistol but I have never got around to testing them.

racepres
04-04-2024, 09:38 AM
I have had pretty fair luck with WW-231 in my experiments with the 32 H&R. An MP 314-640 100 grain HP over 4 grains is pretty good. Some place I have some loaded with Power Pistol but I have never got around to testing them.

I like 231 alot...not as much as AA#5 in the H&R...But, maybe more in the 32 S&W Long.. Can't get either locally at this time...and Prices?? Yeowch!! so, experimenting with BE-86, cause it IS available...

Ultarnr25
04-04-2024, 12:21 PM
Just ordered the 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Handbook. I will try 1 pound of each 231 and Accurate #5 and make a few batches of each.

Thank you for the replies, very excited to press my first rounds!

racepres
04-04-2024, 01:00 PM
Just ordered the 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Handbook. I will try 1 pound of each 231 and Accurate #5 and make a few batches of each.

Thank you for the replies, very excited to press my first rounds!
If you buying books, and reloading Handguns, I have nearly Dog-Eared the pages of the Lyman second edition Pistol and Revolver reloading handbook!!!

405grain
04-04-2024, 01:28 PM
Since you're reloading for a short barreled revolver you might be better off using a faster powder. For a 100 grain cast bullet I'd recommend a 3.2 grain load of Red Dot. This should give you some good target accuracy without a lot of the powder burning up after it's left the barrel. When You do start casting your own I highly recommend the RCBS 32-98-SWC mold, which generally drops bullets at around 100 grains. Also, you can download a pdf copy of the 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for free here; https://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals/Bullet%20Casting/Lyman%20Cast%20Bullet%20Handbook%20-%203rd%20Edition%20-%201980%20-%20Reduce.pdf

challenger_i
04-04-2024, 01:48 PM
405: thanks for the link, sir! :)

racepres
04-04-2024, 02:21 PM
While I love me some RedDot...in my .32's it has just Not been the Berries!! Maybe it will be in yours...I really Like win 231...wish we had some Locally...at a price I don't have to sell a Child to Afford!!
When/If, I find a load for my 32S&W and S&W Longs...with Nitro100 NF...I can let ya know if you like..

gwpercle
04-04-2024, 07:12 PM
If you can't find W231 ... I've been told HP-38 is the same powder by another maker
I think Hodgdon has now bought both powders ???
But if you can't find W231 ... look for HP-38 , they are two peas in the same pod .
And would be good for short bbl 32 H&R Magnum application .
Gary