PDA

View Full Version : Martini 12/15 conversion

buggybuilder
04-02-2024, 07:55 PM
I would like a Martini 12/15 in a 38 or 357 caliber. Will the action be strong enough (cast loads)? Other than a different barrel what else would be involved?

pietro
04-02-2024, 08:09 PM

Strong enough, but a CF breechblock or a conversion of the RF breechblock to CF would be required, at the least (like extractor work).

I would think that the LR barrel could be rebored to .357"

john.k
04-02-2024, 08:33 PM
Martinis can generally be converted from 22rf to CF by simply raising the breech block a small ammount ...........while the BSA Cadet block will fit the 12/15 ,they are not commonly seen as spares .

Baltimoreed
04-02-2024, 08:34 PM
Might want to keep an eye out for a Martini Cadet. I once had a sporter in .357 mag. Good shooter.325379

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
04-03-2024, 08:29 AM
I have a BSA large martini action that came with a rf ejector, the lever fingers have been shortened to drop the breech block to align with the rf chamber. NO other changes from the original large action, parts will interchange. It also has a receiver sight marked BSA mounted on a milled rail on the rear of the action. Currently it's a 32-40.

Rapier
04-03-2024, 11:20 AM
In my experience Cadet parts avability in the US today are, at best, problematic. I have rebuilt a few Cadets and found, at one time, buying a whole Martini Cadet 310 from an Australian dealer and having it shipped as a BP rifle was much simpler, in the long run, as a BP gun they are not a firearm in 90% of the jurisdictions in the US, including US customs, if logged as a BP rifle, regardless of when it was made.

Plus I just stop thinking, keeping anything as original, once I start out on the custom build route.

The Cadet action can handle pretty much the same pressure as a TC Contender I so as a rule of thumb, what works in one, may well work in the other for pressure only.
The minor/major thread cuts for barrel and action compared to the case web chamber cut is another subject as is making the curve upon loading and extraction.
The 357 Super Mag or (Max) will work with the proper choice of bullet shape. Thus the 357 Mag and 38 Spl or similar cartridges work. The 225 WM as a 22 CF will work in a Cadet (Same web diameter as 30-30). I built a 225 WM to check the function. Works fine. The 30-30 for clarification only, should be chambered for use in the large action Martini.

wkndwarrior
04-04-2024, 09:16 PM
In my experience Cadet parts avability in the US today are, at best, problematic. I have rebuilt a few Cadets and found, at one time, buying a whole Martini Cadet 310 from an Australian dealer and having it shipped as a BP rifle was much simpler, in the long run, as a BP gun they are not a firearm in 90% of the jurisdictions in the US, including US customs, if logged as a BP rifle, regardless of when it was made.

Plus I just stop thinking, keeping anything as original, once I start out on the custom build route.

The Cadet action can handle pretty much the same pressure as a TC Contender I so as a rule of thumb, what works in one, may well work in the other for pressure only.
The minor/major thread cuts for barrel and action compared to the case web chamber cut is another subject as is making the curve upon loading and extraction.
The 357 Super Mag or (Max) will work with the proper choice of bullet shape. Thus the 357 Mag and 38 Spl or similar cartridges work. The 225 WM as a 22 CF will work in a Cadet (Same web diameter as 30-30). I built a 225 WM to check the function. Works fine. The 30-30 for clarification only, should be chambered for use in the large action Martini.

This sounds like an interesting process, when browsing Aussie listings there are a lot of really nice custom martini's - but then again they wouldn't be BP.