PDA

View Full Version : Handi-Rifles

Scrounger
01-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Let me do a poor imitation of your favorite gun writer to tell you about a very interesting toy to play with. It is the H&R Handi-Rifle, owned by Marlin. Although i've been aware of them and heard stories about their versatility and accuracy for several years, I didn't get around to ordering one until 2 days ago. My WalMart doesn't stock any of them but you can order them for the princely sum of just under $200. Then you can send the receiver back to H&R and get as many caliber barrels as you want fitted for $82 each. What kind of accuracy can we expect from a rifle that can be bought for $200 or a barrel for $82? Pretty dang good according to several forums I've read, minute of angle is common. What calibers? With a rimfire receiver you can have barrels in .17 HM2, .17 HMR, .22 LR, .22 WMR; with the centerfire receivers you can get calibers from .22 Hornet to .30-06, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45-70, and even .500 S&W. Two new calibers being added this year are .35 Whelan and 7.62X39. I'm just going to have to send them $82 for a 7.62X39 barrel although I really don't know why, It won't do anything that the .30-30 can't do... Here's some other facts I've come across in the last three or four days: WalMart is a funny company. They order their guns from a distributor named Sports South. (Extra barrels must be fitted at H&R or NEF, whatever their real name is) You can access Sports South on the Internet at
http://www.internetguncatalog.com/
to see what's in inventory before you go to WalMart. WalMart will order some of the calibers but not all of them; no rhyme or reason, they just didn't list them when they made their arrangement with Sorts South; .500 S&W and .45-70 are listed but they're out of stock. I ordered a .223 Synthetic Rifle (another $15) and I'll send the receiver to H&R to have probably a .45-70 barrel fitted. I already have dies, brass, and molds for that caliber and .500 S&W would entail starting from scratch. Another choice, the 7.62X39 is in stock but is not on the WalMart available list, but it will be in April when the new list comes out. I told you they were strange. Here is a link to the WalMart Special Order List:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=170083 or
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=170119&path=0%3A4125%3A4155%3A170080%3A170118%3A171844%3A 170119
This is an inexpensive way to fool around with a lot of different calibers if you're so inclined. In addition to my .223 barrel, I expect to get 7.62X39; .357 mag; .44 Mag; .45-70; .500 S&W and maybe others....

SharpsShooter
01-26-2006, 01:43 PM
You will not be unhappy with the Handi-Rifle. I've have fired several different calibers from the rimfires up to the 45-70 and all have been very accurate. The biggest complaint I have is the poor trigger. They are litigation heavy and grungy to boot. Cleaning up the engagement surfaces of the sear with a fine stone improves them greatly. The 45-70 was sub MOA with 300gr J-boolits at 2150fps, but the recoil was shall we say...brisk.

Scrounger
01-26-2006, 03:03 PM
You will not be unhappy with the Handi-Rifle. I've have fired several different calibers from the rimfires up to the 45-70 and all have been very accurate. The biggest complaint I have is the poor trigger. They are litigation heavy and grungy to boot. Cleaning up the engagement surfaces of the sear with a fine stone improves them greatly. The 45-70 was sub MOA with 300gr J-boolits at 2150fps, but the recoil was shall we say...brisk.

One of the fellows at greyBeards said I COULD load it up to the Ruger No 1 level but my shoulder would yell 'Stop!' long before that...

carpetman
01-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Well just how handi is it?

Junior1942
01-26-2006, 03:33 PM
One of the fellows at greyBeards said I COULD load it up to the Ruger No 1 level but my shoulder would yell 'Stop!' long before that...

Nope, you can load it to level #2, which is Marlin and 1886 Winchester levels.

hpdrifter
01-26-2006, 04:19 PM
If you send it back for extra bbls, ask for the free trigger job. They'll tune up yer trigger for ya.

Scrounger
01-26-2006, 04:28 PM
If you send it back for extra bbls, ask for the free trigger job. They'll tune up yer trigger for ya.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that.

jballs918
01-26-2006, 04:40 PM
ok so you buy the rifle, then send it back for a different barrel or do you just buy the barrel by itself and change it. becuase i would think just to buy the whole thing in the barrel you want or im i way off on this

Junior1942
01-26-2006, 04:56 PM
The extra barrels have to be factory fitted. You send in the action.

Scrounger
01-26-2006, 06:10 PM
ok so you buy the rifle, then send it back for a different barrel or do you just buy the barrel by itself and change it. becuase i would think just to buy the whole thing in the barrel you want or im i way off on this

As Junior stated, you must send the receiver in for them to fit the new barrel, thereafter you can switch them at will. Although some people have told me they routinely switch barrels with other people and buy them second-hand with no problems. Works with Contenders, why wouldn't it work here? I think you are misunderstanding this aspect of it: I want the barrel I originally buy PLUS I want additional caliber barrels to change and use at my pleasure. And both WalMart and H&R operate a little weird in my opinion. WalMart doesn't sell all calibers, just those on THEIR LIST. And H&R apparently will fit barrels in calibers they do not produce a whole rifle for, so having the barrel fitted to an existing action is the only way to get it. Near as I can tell. :violin:
Here's a picture of a .243 a fellow offerred me for $160. I got no use for that caliber but I'm tempted to buy it and sell or trade the barrel for something that intrigues me more.

44minimum
01-26-2006, 08:40 PM
very interesting, scrounger. I am in the process of saving my pennies for a 223 handy rifle also. When you get yours I would like to know how it shoots. I will also be getting a 357 Magnum barrel and a 260 if they have them. They have not had 260's before but they are supposed to announce their new calibers at the shot show.

Scrounger
01-26-2006, 09:30 PM
very interesting, scrounger. I am in the process of saving my pennies for a 223 handy rifle also. When you get yours I would like to know how it shoots. I will also be getting a 357 Magnum barrel and a 260 if they have them. They have not had 260's before but they are supposed to announce their new calibers at the shot show.

Yeah, if I wasn't so lazy I'd go to it and check them out. It's only an hours drive from home if it's in Vegas again... :drinks:

drinks
01-26-2006, 10:03 PM
44;
You may want to make sure you get a new production .223 barrel, H&R is supposed to be changing the pitch from 1/12" to 1/9", would make a lot more bullets available.
The 1/12" pitch is marginal with bullets over 55gr.
I am going to send an action in as soon as I verify, with a call to H&R, that I shall receive a 1/9" pitch barrel.

Scrounger
01-26-2006, 10:14 PM
44;
You may want to make sure you get a new production .223 barrel, H&R is supposed to be changing the pitch from 1/12" to 1/9", would make a lot more bullets available.
The 1/12" pitch is marginal with bullets over 55gr.
I am going to send an action in as soon as I verify, with a call to H&R, that I shall receive a 1/9" pitch barrel.

Always got to be different, I hope mine is 1 in 12. I use the 40 to 50 grain bullets. :drinks: Here's a link to a discussion of that very topic at GreyBeards:
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=84185&sid=fe34261c76953af98cd20c2171abad67

JohnH
01-27-2006, 12:24 AM
All 223 barrels made in 2006 forward will be 1:9. The current crop of fluted 223 barrels are 1:9.

I guess I'm going to be the stick in the mud here and say that after having 4 Handis and one extra barrel over the last 3 years I will not have another. I don't mean maybe not, I mean I will not even give consideration to one. Here's why:

45-70, .456 groove, .450 bore, wouldn't shoot into 2" consistantly at 50 yards unless the load was under 1300 fps. Fired over 500 rounds and at least 20 different loads, never got better. You can kill deer with it, I did, but people do that with sticks and stones.

30-30, .310 groove, .307 bore shot jacketed great, better than great with a few loads, but would not shoot cast worth beans. Yeah, a $70.00 mold should shoot, but when the factory says .307/.310 is in spec????? Fired at least 500 rounds of cast at over 600 jacketed

44 Mag, took forever to find loads that would shoot, but after slugging my bore I discovered why.... .427 bore, .432 groove Friend still has the rifle, it shoots great, I killed 4 deer with it, had I not been in a jam I'd still have this one. But it is close enough to know how it holds up over time. Fired well over 2000 rounds, If it's going to break it will be soon and I won't be surprised.

357 Maximum, began life a Magnum. Chamber so long that when any 158 grain bullet touched lands, there was 1/4" between the bullet base and the case mouth. Rechambered to 357 Maximum and then shot in excess of 3000 rounds to find a bullet and load the dang thing would shoot. It shoots the RCBS 35-200 fine, Anything else it patterns. The Hornady 180 XTP does ok, will shoot inside 1.5" at 50 yards but 5 shots still walks around a lot.

38-55. This barrel was mounted at factory on the 357 Maximum frame this time last year. I've fired 1300 rounds through it. When it came back from the factory it wouldn't ignite large rifle primers consistantly. Got so bad it wouldn't ignite pistol primers 100%. Turned out to be the hammer spring weakened. Firing pin has been broken twice. Once by me walking up stairs and fiddling with the hammer, it slipped, broke firing pin (DUH). Neighbor picked up rifle at my bench and before I could say don't dry fire.... broke firing pin. This fall the barrel became loose on the frame, took a .002" shim on the hinge pin to tighten it back up.

I traded my Remington Model 7 Mountian Gun in 7-08 to my friend for an Encore 209x50 muzzle loader, got a 375 JDJ barrel, and next on the list is a G2 Contender with a 30-30 barrrel, or a 357 or 375 Winchester barrel for the Encore (custom propositons so $$$$) But having a firearm that will hold up to being shot is priceless.

Overall I have been satisfied with the accurcay I was able to get from these guns, but the barrels suck and so does the lockwork. For my money I wuld rather spend it on a good condition milsurp than a Handi, the milsurp was designed to work everytime all the time. I am not interested in a firearm I have to wonder if the barrel is going to fall off when I pull the trigger. With a milsurp, I can buy sporter stocks, Timney triggers even new barrels for Mauser rifles in any chambering based on the .470 case head.

I can go to a gunshow and get a used Savage 110 for $200 to $240 and have a better rifle than a Handi ever thought of being. For $400 I can have a new G2 Contender and have a better rifel than any 2 Handis ever thought of being. The $200 Handi is exactly that, $200 rifle that brings $150 and less used.

I'm not one to bad mouth anything for no reason. In fact, you can get pretty fair service from a Handi. But it ain't no Savage. It sure ain't not no TC (I shot lots of those in sillywets years back, never had these problems) and it won't give you the kind of service you would expect from a Browning, Remington, Winchester, Tikka, Ruger.

Is it a cheap single shot? You bet. Expect nothing more and you won't be dissappointed. Before you decide, do a search over a gray beards and look at how many complain of troubles with these things, and then take a look at the "fix it " stickies at the top of the page and ask yourself this.... How many other rifles out there have so many problems that there are forums dedicated in part to telling others how to fix their rifles? I don't want to fix it, I want to shoot it.

Bass Ackward
01-27-2006, 09:00 AM
45-70, .456 groove, .450 bore, wouldn't shoot into 2" consistantly at 50 yards unless the load was under 1300 fps.

30-30, .310 groove, .307 bore shot jacketed great, better than great with a few loads, but would not shoot cast worth beans.

44 Mag, took forever to find loads that would shoot, but after slugging my bore I discovered why.... .427 bore, .432 groove.

John,

Interesting how this mirrors my testing results for 30 caliber. Here I thought I was breaking new ground. But I needed that barrel for a hollowpointer for 35 Whelen anyway which was my ultimate motive for fire lapping out the rifling. :grin:

The rifling height in your 30/30 was .0015. I had cast bullet "accuracy" defined as grouping, down to .0014 with the lower velocity load and really hard bullets but groups started opening up some with them even at .0024. So if rifling height is going to come down, you have to have a lot more rifling in number to maintain the same drive area. The problem with that logic is barrel fouling occupies space and second, it becomes difficult to maunfacturer (correctly) once you get down so far in height.

And the larger the bore diameter you go, the more drive area you need (height) if you want load / cast bullet options and the chance for higher velocity. Seems you already learned that.

Hmmm. You can come out your room now. :grin:

txpete
01-27-2006, 09:01 AM
I bought one last oct.so far pretty happy with it.the one I bought was in 25-06 just because I never really had one before.
after a small 0-ring was placed on the forarm it will shot 1 inch groups.I haven't tried cast in it yet as other projects got in the way.
price was 200.00 NIB and a 20 rebate from handi.so a new rifle that shoots 1 inch groups for 180.00 isn't such a bad deal.
pete
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355601.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=355601&c=500&z=1)

fatnhappy
01-28-2006, 01:51 AM
I have a friend. Yes, I do! No really... I bribed him. He'll attest.
He owns a handi-rifle.
NY changes its legal implement laws and changes several "shotgun only" areas near the PA border to rifle legal zones.
I say "get a 7-08"
He says "I've been told the .25-06 is better.
I say "get a 7-08. I'll let you borrow one of mine if need be."

He gets said 7-08.
Trigger job is done without solicitation. He buys quality federal ammo. Said 7-08 will shoot very small groups.
He spends $150.

He fills many sausage casings.

Handi-rifle good.

BOOM BOOM
01-30-2006, 01:02 AM
HI,
I was looking at the Handi rifle as a base to build a 450 ackley on, but this thread has me recorsidering. Perhaps it would be better to look at the TC Encore.

RugerFan
01-30-2006, 01:26 AM
I've only owned one Handi Rifle. A new .223 that shot lousey groups with both factory and hand loads. I sold it quickly. On the other hand the 20 ga shotgun was just the ticket for my son when he was a little shaver. I believe I paid about $75 for it new several years ago.

A somewhat cheaper option to a TC is the CVA Optima Elite. Only available in 6 calibers so far, but they look promising.

http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_optelite_center.htm

Bullshop
01-30-2006, 12:31 PM
I have been reading that these loosen up after a few 100 rounds. I would realy like to hear about this from anyone that has had a problem.
BIC/BS

hpdrifter
01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
RugerFan, I that CVA has any merit at all, I can see it putting a dent in H&R sales.

Now if they'd get some old traditional calibers, yeah baby.

JohnH
01-30-2006, 11:08 PM
I have been reading that these loosen up after a few 100 rounds. I would realy like to hear about this from anyone that has had a problem.
BIC/BS

I sent a frame in this time last year and had a 38-55 barrel fit. Other than the chamber being weird, which seems to be a problem across the 38-55 makers spectrum, the barrel shot well. Real well. It shot most anything I fired through it. I shot 1300 rounds through that gun. I know this cause over the spring/summer I bought 2000 primers, one box when I first got the barrel another box in late summer. The 7.62x54R and the 7-08 ate up 100 of 1400 primers. I shot the rifle every day it was not raining, the overwhelming majority of loads 11.3 grains (1 throw of RCBS Lil Dandy measure rotor #17) of Jeff Bartletts #107 (a milsurp that I get within 50 fps of Blue Dot load for load) and the Lee 379-250-RF. Load is making about 1200 fps, we ain't talking no barn burner here. I have fired 28 grains of WC680 though it under Lymans 379449, load makes 1900 fps, figured there was no sense running the beast that hard, so after about 60 rounds I backed off to 24.5 grains. Load runs 1700 fps or so and is one stinkin' hole accurate at 50 yards. I've fired less than 100 of these through the gun, probably less than 50.

Opening day this year I took out the rifle and shot a doe with it. Man was I proud, thought I'd found the perfect rifle and chamebring for my backyard hunting. Two weeks later I carried it out and noticed a kind of thunking noise when I carried the rifle over my shoulder. On examination the barrel was moving laterally in the frame with the action closed on a live case. Man I was pissed :( At the house I inserted a feeler guage between the frame and barrel and it would readily take .002 but not .004 (don't have .003) I cut about an inch off the .002, removed the forearm and put the peice between the hingepin and barrel lug. Gun closed tight.

On firing, the group moved up 1" at 50 yards . I lost all faith in the rifle at that point and have not shot it since. I've no idea why the loosening occured, am not interested in knowing. I've got an Encore and am going about building a battery around it.

If I'd shot a bunch of heavy loads, I could understand. If I'd daily pushed the rifle to it's limits, I could understand. But this was not the case at all. I'd be surprised if the load I was using was making more than 20,000 psi, I'd be surprised if it was that much actually. These rifles are chamberd for some real hot rods like the 25-06, 270 Win, 280 Remington, 308, etc. Even if I had pushed the rifle to 375 Winchester pressures daily, I would have still been well inside the strength of the gun. This and some other problems (as posted in a previous post, oh and I forgot to mention the transfer bar that fell off in that post, another common problem) were the last straw for me. Far as I'm concerned the NEF Handi is a peice of junk and is in no way to be considered a worthy successor to the H&R name. H&R built some inexpensive guns, but not cheap and not guns that fell apart. I'm shocked that the parent company Marlin lets this crap continue. I've read literally hundreds of posts over the last 3 years at the NEF forum at www.graybeardsoutdoors.com of people with problems just like this, send it back to the factory to be told "It's in factory spec" or the gun was "repaired to have the same problem ovur agai inside 200 rounds. Hell, that is a good days shootin' for a lot of folks. What kind of crap is that???? They told one fella that a 44 Magnum barrel with a groove diameter of .435 was in spec. The last fella posting over there with a loosened barrel had just bought the gun, fired part of a box of amoo through it and it was loose. Would take a .004 feeler guage at the breech. Factory told him it was in spec. Yeah right.

Far as I'm concerned, the best move to make with an NEF Handi rifle is to stay away.

RugerFan
01-30-2006, 11:14 PM
RugerFan, I that CVA has any merit at all, I can see it putting a dent in H&R sales.

Now if they'd get some old traditional calibers, yeah baby.

Hpdrifter,
I agree. I have a CVA Optima Pro. It's basically the same platform as the Elite, but ML only. Mine is .50 cal and is very accurate. I love it and wouldn't hesitate to buy the Elite.

Scrounger
01-31-2006, 01:25 AM
To say I'm reading some of these comments about the Handi-rifle with mixed emotions is an understatement. Mixed because although I've read enough to lose a lot of confidence in the rifle, I've already ordered one and I can't back out. At least by getting it at a good price I'll be able to sell it unfired and not lose too much money on it. Thank God that's one thing I've learned in 50 years of gun trading: Always buy low, because some day you're going to need to sell it... I believe the guns are accurate enough in the beginning, but continued use wears the mating surface and adversely affects accuracy sooner or later. Thank goodness I'm cheap! Guess I'll stick to Contender barrels.

Junior1942
01-31-2006, 09:30 AM
>I've no idea why the loosening occured, am not interested in knowing.

My 45-70 Handi-Rifle has at least 1,000 450 gr and 500 gr 1150 fps Pyrodex rounds through it, and it is as tight as the day I bought it. You should have sent it back to the factory.

lovedogs
01-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Won't begin to try to cure everyone's ills on H&R's. Can only relay my experience. Bought a Buffalo Classic 2 yrs. ago. Broke the bbl. in right. Slugged perfect. Using Saeco 1881 550 gr. cast w/20:1 and sized .459 I use smokeless loads between 1180 & 1350 FPS for silhouettes and 300 gr. jacketed for deer at 1800 FPS. Using Shaver sights have posted groups less than 6 inches on our buffalo silhouette (876 yds.) Rifle shoots everything in less than M.O.A. I wouldn't trade for a Sharps! After rinsing crud out of action lubed trigger/sear w/ dry lube for nearly creep-free 4# pull. Have four friends who also stay in the middle of Masters class using their Handi-Rifles. We all shoot slow target loads and don't abuse our rifles. They work great. I've heard that one should close bbl. firmly, but not slam them closed as it can cause loosening. My "cheap" buffalo gun is the most fun gun I own. God bless!

McLintock
01-31-2006, 01:35 PM
I've been shooting long range side matches in Cowboy Action Shooting for a number of years now and competed against many handi-rifle shooters, including the newer Target (38-55) and Buffalo Classic (45-70) models. The shorter barreled handi-rifle could do OK out to about 150 yards, then the Brownings, Sharps and Rollers would eat them up accuracy wise. I never saw either of the two longer barreled models do well accuracy wise and several are being shot at the club I shoot with; I've read that the rifling on the 38-55 is too shallow for good cast bullet performance. The handi-rifle's greatest attribute was price and speed (all events are timed), but I could always keep up with them there also (speed), with my Brownings. As distances have lengthened, the serious long range shooter has gone to better, more accurate rifles. Course, this is all with cast bullets, which is the main topic of this forum, so I hope it's relevent.
McLintock

Bullshop
01-31-2006, 02:21 PM
OK i heard enough, NEF order canceled.
New question
I recently got an older H&R 30/30 and wonder if this rates the same as the NEF?
I contacted NEF about barrels and they said they did not make this gun(wrong sierial #) and will not fit a barrel to it.
I worked up a load for Jr. for caribou with it and am able to tread on the heals of 300 Savage velocity and hold about 1 MOA groupes. (jacketed)
This is a pretty nice looking rifle with case colored receiver and full barrel length fore end.
I dont know how old it is but there is no looseness in the lock up at all. Even so I think I will back off on the zippy loads and stay with the more moderate pressures.
So is this a different animal than the NEF?
BIC/BS

versifier
01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Different animal. Many of them had 20g & 12g barrels on the same frame, and apart from the 12's being a bit fierce in the recoil department, they have passed the test of time well as truck guns, etc. No problems in any of the many I have known over the years. I have shot many partridges with one or another, mostly in 20g. You couldn't pay me to shoot a slug out of a 12g again, still hurts when I remember it.

Bullshop
02-01-2006, 12:48 AM
OK fellas look out I have an idea. Somebody go over this and tell me if I am missing something.
OK I have the H&R 30/30 right, and I have an NEF 12 gauge right. Well I tried the 12 gauge barrel on the H&R frame and snap click its a 12 gauge. Fits just as tight as on the NEF frame, like it was made for it.
OK so I am thinking if I have someone with an NEF receiver send it in and have the barrel I want fit to thier frame then send me the barrel, bingo I get what I want in a no streachy frame. I know what they say about fitting each barrel but I dont swollow it. Besides headspace or excess headspace proper can be eliminated by hand loading so realy is not a problem to a hand loader. Sound feasible? OK tell me why its a stupid idea.
Well in that case I figured I would just sell it on auction and let the next feller try it. If not for him then the next till it works for someone.
Well yea it would be a good idea for someone to send me a barrel they already have to try first, but who would do a thing like that? You know who could I realy trust?
BIC/BS

Junior1942
02-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Bullshop, the group below was shot in a 20" 45-70 Handi-Rifle with a Williams peep rear and a Firesight front. Load was Pyrodex RS, a greased cookie, and the Lee 450 FP in pure lead. If an inaccurate rifle did this with hunting sights . . . well, show me an accurate rifle.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/photos/187108.jpg

ejjuls
02-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Hey guys!

Just running through all of the posts quickly before I have to leave for work....
I saw someone mention a trigger job for the Handi-Rifle....
If you wish to do it yoursef check out this link

http://www.perkloafm.com/

The name of the page is "Another Fine Mess"

There are .pdf instructions on how to do the trigger work - I have done my rifle following the instructions - The trigger pull is QUITE nice now....it made a world of difference in my rifle.

Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone interested.
Later
Eric

drinks
02-01-2006, 12:16 PM
BS;
The H&R came in 20 and 12 ga and, .22 Hornet, .222 and .30-30.
The frame is not heat treated to withstand the pressure of anything over a.30-30, about 30,000 psi, + -.
The .222 chambering was possible due to the small amount of real recoil energy from the small cartridge, that would not be the case with something such as .308, .270 and .30-06, which are available in the SB2 H&R- NEF current production frames.

onceabull
02-01-2006, 03:05 PM
guys: Back when times wern't so good,there was a cottage gunsmithy industry in some places involving rechambering 30/30 H&R toppers to 30/40 Krag (aka 30 Army,30 U.S.A). Having spent childhood to early teens in one of those places I can testify that firing one of the 220 gr factory loads of the era in one of those was a serious intro to RECOIL ..Onceabull

versifier
02-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Bullshop,
As long as the problem is with the new frames, your plan should work. But I suspect, but have NOT proven by careful measurements that the problem is with the barrel assemblies. Logically though, consider 1) it's no trouble or major expense to properly harden pivot pins before their installation in the frames, 2) if the new barrel assemblies are actually "fit" to the frames, it wouldn't be the frames that got "adjusted", or none of the other accessory barrels would fit on that frame properly afterward, and 3) to harden the critical areas of the bearing surfaces on the finished barrel assembly would take time, skilled labor, and increased costs to do correctly. :razz:
Common sense tells me they merely take the prospective frame and try a succession of barrel assemblies on it to find a tight fitting one, then ship it back to the buyer with a "custom fit". I suspect that their QC is such that they cannot guarantee an "out of the box" fit like, for instance, T/C can. :roll:
If you get an accurate barrel that loosens, trim the bottom assembly off of it with an end mill, thread the barrel, and mount in on a bolt action receiver. :smile:
I'm not a rocket scientist, but as to the frame strength of the older H&R's, I have fired a .458mag with less recoil than one with a 12g 3" slug. I think it's more a question of can the barrel steel withstand the outward force of the internal pressure than the frame handle the backward force of recoil.

drinks
02-01-2006, 06:58 PM
I have 2 actions and 5 post fitted barrels, all the post fitted barrels show some minor grinding on the barrel lug.

lovedogs
02-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Took a lady friend to our local Buffalo Shoot last fall. I shot my Buffalo Classic and had about a half dozen other asst. Handi-Rifles there. She loved it. Have been teaching her to shoot since then. Now she's "recruited" into being a shooter. We had quite a time finding her a rifle. All the Classics, Target, and Handi-Rifles are much in demand. Finally found her a Classic in .45-70. Let her shoot mine until hers arrived. She loved it. Didn't kick her with Past Recoil Shield in place. Her exact words were, "This is cool. I've got to have one of these!" We shipped one from Louisiana and she picked it up day before yesterday. She is elated. It has a perfect, crisp 2 3/4 lb. trigger. Am building her a set of shooting sticks now and ordering more lead. It's fun to introduce new shooters to the sport and good to have more of us involved in shooting. She is also ready to become an NRA member. I gave her a membership to our club (Medicine Rocks Black Powder Assoc.) as a Valentine's Day gift. She's proud to become a "gun nut". We are gonna have some fun!

tom barthel
02-15-2006, 01:51 PM
I have two handi rifle receivers and seven barrels. The rifle is very well named. I have had several ejection failures with rimless rounds. The rimmed cartridges never failed to eject. Many of these rifles have problems that SHOULD be corrected before leaving the factory. Fireing pins should not break so easy. Ejectors should work Transfer bar devices shouldn't come apart. I have no complaints about accuracy. These rifles handle great. They are well named handy. I plan on keeping my rifles. I have a lot of time invested in them. I will NOT buy another.

txpete
03-05-2006, 09:50 AM
I just bought another one :) as I was very happy with the 25-06.
a 44 mag laminate.first trip to the range put 25 rounds of jacketed through it cleaned the bore and started to shoot some 240 gr cast.while only shooting 50 yards at a pistol range this one shoots.
with my cast 240 .430
9.0 grs unique
starline brass
win lp primer it was cutting a ragged hole using the factory iron sights.
am I lucky that both handi's I have bought are excellent shooters??I dont know but I am very happy with mine
pete
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/44maglaminate001.jpg

John F. Lang
03-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Scrounger,
I think you will like the little Handi-Rifle although I have no experience with the .223 caliber in this gun.
I do have experience with it in the .243 caliber.
I would say "Jump on it!" if you have a chance to pick one up for $160.00.
The one I got for my son shoots 1/2 to 1 inch groups with jacket slugs from just about any bullet company.
The son usually only needs one shot for coyotes as compared to several for the old man!!!
The info from JohnH and the bit about a free trigger job was good info to get.
I just did my own trigger job with the trigger tools the wife got me for Christmas to do the Marlin 336 trigger. Then I installed a trigger stop so there wasn't so much over-travel. Then I took it to the range and it shoots great.
If you decide to take the "guts" out, be advised that you need two slave pins that are per-exactly the width of the trigger guard, then the "unit" slips right out.
Otherwise, driving the pins out lets everything come out in pieces.
I'm thinking about getting "me" a barrel for "his" rifle in the 30/30 caliber and running another reamer in it.

Scrounger
03-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Nice looking rifle, nice shooting. WalMart has the best price on HandiRifles, but they only buy from the distributor, SportsSouth, and all large caliber HandiRifles are out of stock constantly. If they ever become available, I'll have to decide between .44 Mag, .45-70, or 500 S&W. I think .45-70 will probably get the nod. I will also get one in 7.62X39, which is in stock but not on WalMart's "OK to Order" list.

Scrounger
03-05-2006, 11:38 AM
BIC/BS

Greybeard's has a popular forum on these rifles and a lot of good information can be had there. Apparently when one shoots lose and quits grouping, they have instructions on refitting the lock-up pivot pin using aluminum shims from a soda can!. They claim it works.

txpete
03-05-2006, 11:46 AM
[smilie=l: I am well over 100 rd's out of my 25-06 no problems
pete

Scrounger
03-05-2006, 11:51 AM
OK fellas look out I have an idea. Somebody go over this and tell me if I am missing something.
OK I have the H&R 30/30 right, and I have an NEF 12 gauge right. Well I tried the 12 gauge barrel on the H&R frame and snap click its a 12 gauge. Fits just as tight as on the NEF frame, like it was made for it.
OK so I am thinking if I have someone with an NEF receiver send it in and have the barrel I want fit to thier frame then send me the barrel, bingo I get what I want in a no streachy frame. I know what they say about fitting each barrel but I dont swollow it. Besides headspace or excess headspace proper can be eliminated by hand loading so realy is not a problem to a hand loader. Sound feasible? OK tell me why its a stupid idea.
Well in that case I figured I would just sell it on auction and let the next feller try it. If not for him then the next till it works for someone.
Well yea it would be a good idea for someone to send me a barrel they already have to try first, but who would do a thing like that? You know who could I realy trust?
BIC/BS

Apparently those guys sell and trade barrels like Contender shooters do. Here is a link to HandiRifle Classified on Greybeards, should be some barrels for sale there. I understand they can also be found on EBAY. http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=142

Scrounger
03-05-2006, 12:39 PM
TxPete, re your .44 Mag Handi: Since it is in the Marlin family, did you slug the bore to see if it was oversize? Also on GreyBeards HandiRifle forum, one of the popular things to do to .44s is to ream out the chamber to .445 Super Magnum. That is a longer case and ups the power quite a bit. You can still shoot .44 Specials and Magnums in it. One of the fellows there has a reamer he loans out and it is a 3 minute job by hand, no lathe required. I would be real tempted...

txpete
03-05-2006, 05:49 PM
:) I thought about but going to leave it alone until it falls apart.
I didn't have any leading at .430 with my 240 gr swc's.that said I wasn't pushing them very hard at 9.0 unique.I didn't slug the bore before shooting them.I was just lazy by not doing it.
on my lease there is a large section of cedars where a long shot would be less than 50 yards.I think this compact 44 would be great.
pete

BOOM BOOM
04-17-2006, 12:12 AM
HI,
Just reread this thread, it is the type of thread that is worth rereading. lots of food for thought.
does anyone have a used Encore would cost in blue? In stainless?

drinks
04-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Scrounger;
Jeff223, the keeper of the reamer, got reamed by ol GB hisself and has been banned.
The only way now, is to go to the 4D products website and rent a reamer from them.
I did that last week, just waiting for the reamer to show up.
$25 + deposit and some shipping.
Don

Greg
04-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I seem to remember a company that makes ML barrels for the Handy Rifles

Dose any one have a link for them?

I want a 45 cal fast (18 or 22) twist ML barrel...I'm thinking a Lyman 457122 330gr HP Boolit ahead of 50-70 grains of FFg ought to be 'it' or even 'all that' for Deers hunting in the hard wood timber of Southern Illinois.

Bucks Owin
04-18-2006, 08:03 PM
I seem to remember a company that makes ML barrels for the Handy Rifles

H&R made (still make?) them themselves in a rifle they called a "Huntsman", pretty much identical to the Handi Rifle except for the barrel with an O-ringed plug in the rear with a nipple installed. I used to have one in .58 cal and there were/are other calibers available. I shot 510 gr minies in mine and they packed a wallop.....(fore and aft)

FWIW,

Dennis

Uncle Ji
04-24-2006, 05:41 AM
Scrounger;
Jeff223, the keeper of the reamer, got reamed by ol GB hisself and has been banned.
The only way now, is to go to the 4D products website and rent a reamer from them.
I did that last week, just waiting for the reamer to show up.
$25 + deposit and some shipping.
Don

I beleive Jeff223 can now be found frequanting the Handi Rifle Forum at http://www.boartuffoutdoors.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=newenglandfirearms, and I beleieve the the reamer is still available for use. Many ex GBO member have migrated there from what I gather with good knowledge to be gained.

Greg- H&R offers a ML barrel in their accessory barrel program for a very reasonable $79.00 plus shipping and fitting: http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Scrounger
04-24-2006, 10:00 AM
I beleive Jeff223 can now be found frequanting the Handi Rifle Forum at http://www.boartuffoutdoors.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=newenglandfirearms, and I beleieve the the reamer is still available for use. Many ex GBO member have migrated there from what I gather with good knowledge to be gained.

Greg- H&R offers a ML barrel in their accessory barrel program for a very reasonable $79.00 plus shipping and fitting: http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Thank you. I have been in touch with Jeff at Boartuff and Jeff also posts on this board.