PDA

View Full Version : Applying gas checks?

Bobby Ironsights
02-20-2009, 01:43 AM
So, I'm thinking about moving up to gas checked pistol and rifle bullets, instead of just lead projectiles for my blackpowders, and .45 auto. The costs of good jacketed bullets are really climbing.

Can you apply gas checks properly to a bullet designed for them, without a lubrisizer? Is there a simpler, cheaper tool? I'm a student in a crowded apt., so I'd hate to find out I could have just bought a 20 dollar hand tool, instead of a large bench mounted tool.

Thanks for your time,
Bobby

Bret4207
02-20-2009, 08:37 AM
The Lee push through system works fine.

armyrat1970
02-20-2009, 08:45 AM
The Lee push through system works fine.

Yep. I use the Lee lube sizer for my rifle bullets and they seat the gas checks when sizing. I don't think you need gas checks for handgun cartridges. Your not driving them that hard.

MtJerry
02-20-2009, 09:03 AM
For boolits I load as-cast, I use my bench vice.

armyrat1970
02-21-2009, 08:38 AM
So, I'm thinking about moving up to gas checked pistol and rifle bullets, instead of just lead projectiles for my blackpowders, and .45 auto. The costs of good jacketed bullets are really climbing.

Can you apply gas checks properly to a bullet designed for them, without a lubrisizer? Is there a simpler, cheaper tool? I'm a student in a crowded apt., so I'd hate to find out I could have just bought a 20 dollar hand tool, instead of a large bench mounted tool.

Thanks for your time,
Bobby

Hi Bobby. I believe you can apply the Lyman gas checks without a sizer as they don't crimp on the bullet. The Hornady crimps on the base. The problem with any gas check seating that way would be not getting it seated squarely with the base of the bullet. If the check is not seated squarely it will hurt your accuracy. If you don't have room for the bench press the Lee handpress with a bullet sizer would work. Maybe a little awkward but you don't need to put the plastic case on top to catch the sized and gas checked bullets just let them drop out on a terry cloth towel. The Lee handpress and bullet sizers are not that expensive. But don't buy from Lee. Midway or Wiedners are always much cheaper for the same product because they buy in quantity and can sell at a lower price. Your gonna pay if you buy direct from the manufacturer.

Bret4207
02-21-2009, 09:06 PM
To be clear- the OLD STYLE Lyman checks snapped on (in theory anyway), they didn't crimp. Those are the one in the grey or grey and black boxes. The new style Lymans are made by Hornady and crimp on. I believe they come in orange boxes now. I'm not entirely sure when the change over occurred.