PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Cast Bullets Manual 4th edition

Nick Quick
03-31-2024, 01:06 AM
I have the 3rd edition but there is no load data for Titegroup powder. I was thinking to buy the 4th edition but before buying I wanted to ask first if there is any load data for Titegroup. I was looking for 9mm and .38 spl and there is no load recipe involving TG. Then I looked for other calibers and it looks like TG is nowhere to be found in the 3rd edition. I have an 8 lbs jug of TG and I want to put it to good use for plinking purpose.
Any input much appreciated.

Wheelguns 1961
03-31-2024, 01:12 AM
My Lyman #4 has titegroup data in 9mm and 38spl.

Nick Quick
03-31-2024, 01:54 AM
Thank you kindly sir. I'll order the manual.

poppy42
03-31-2024, 07:04 AM
I don’t believe titegroup was available when the 3rd edition came out. There is definitely load data using titegroup on the 4th edition.

gunther
03-31-2024, 08:32 AM
Hodgdon will help you with data, as well. E mail or call them. For light loads or midlevel, ask them for cowboy load data.

gwpercle
03-31-2024, 12:53 PM
Order Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual #4 ...
Hodgdon's Load Data Center has become rather a pain in the bunghole to deal with ... plus lots more powders and cast boolits in the Lyman Manual .
Get the Book ... :drinks:
Gary

jdgabbard
03-31-2024, 01:43 PM
I just doubled checked for you. The Lyman 4th has Titegroup data for every single 9mm bullet listed, and all but one 38spl bullet listed. Buy it with confidence it'll have the data you want.

Thom_44
03-31-2024, 01:49 PM
But you still need to keep the 3rd edition for most cartridges have suffered a loss of data between the two for some reason.

jdgabbard
03-31-2024, 01:58 PM
But you still need to keep the 3rd edition for most cartridges have suffered a loss of data between the two for some reason.

That's not uncommon. I even keep a copy of the Lyman 45th handy to be able to look up older designs that have fallen out of popularity.

Thom_44
03-31-2024, 02:03 PM
That's not uncommon. I even keep a copy of the Lyman 45th handy to be able to look up older designs that have fallen out of popularity.

Just look at what dissappeared for 8x57 mauser

jdgabbard
03-31-2024, 03:08 PM
Just look at what dissappeared for 8x57 mauser

Yup. It's also interesting to see that older data. I brought up a change in .380acp data about a year ago or so. Some of that old .380acp data was into the 9mm Luger range pressure wise... I think there was a load for the 358242 120gr variant at something like 1100fps... Thats SCARY!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240331/6a77011e12d446e6245c1520c4365d5d.jpg

Thom_44
03-31-2024, 04:30 PM
Yup. It's also interesting to see that older data. I brought up a change in .380acp data about a year ago or so. Some of that old .380acp data was into the 9mm Luger range pressure wise... I think there was a load for the 358242 120gr variant at something like 1100fps... Thats SCARY!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240331/6a77011e12d446e6245c1520c4365d5d.jpg

And everyone says that the industry has NOT been watering down ammunition over the years. Bet most EUROPEAN built .380s would love that "scary" load for reliability. Bet it would be FUN in a full size 1911

jdgabbard
03-31-2024, 04:35 PM
And everyone says that the industry has NOT been watering down ammunition over the years. Bet most EUROPEAN built .380s would love that "scary" load for reliability. Bet it would be FUN in a full size 1911

Yeah, or even that 92gr load approaching 1200fps... I'm not sure you can even fit 4.5gr of Unique into the 380 case and still be and max OAL... Definitely sounds like a compressed load from my experience. Even the starting load in that manual is almost at book max for the current manual. Personally I use 3.4gr of Unique and it is a very nice shooting load at probably around 900-950fps...

Sandspider500
03-31-2024, 08:49 PM
Yeah, or even that 92gr load approaching 1200fps... I'm not sure you can even fit 4.5gr of Unique into the 380 case and still be and max OAL... Definitely sounds like a compressed load from my experience. Even the starting load in that manual is almost at book max for the current manual. Personally I use 3.4gr of Unique and it is a very nice shooting load at probably around 900-950fps...

Unique will compress very easily.

Nick Quick
03-31-2024, 11:04 PM
I won't get rid of any reloading manual let alone the Lyman cast 3rd edition. I already ordered the 4th edition.
The reason I asked if the 4th edition has TG in it is because I found in a plastic bin around 5000 bullets 9mm 124 grains cast with a Magma mold in my Master Caster. They all weigh 128-129 grains (I guess is the alloy) and I was looking for few loads that ask for Titegroup. In the same box I found also around 7000 bullets .38spl also weighing around 128 grains. So I was thinking to put that 8lbs TG to good use for both calibers. It looks like I won't be casting for a while as I have enough projectile for at least a year of shooting.
I hope I'll find me in the 4th edition two decent loads for plinking for both calibers.

Wheelguns 1961
04-01-2024, 12:54 AM
Here you go.

WRideout
04-01-2024, 10:55 AM
Interestingly, the Lyman 4th ed. has loads listed for obsolete powders such as SR4756. That information was not available in the previous manuals. Makes me wonder what changed that they now include data for powders that are no longer manufactured.

BTW: I keep all my old reloading manuals, even the ones that are falling apart. Some of that information is not available anywhere else.

Wayne

dverna
04-01-2024, 03:06 PM
Order Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual #4 ...
Hodgdon's Load Data Center has become rather a pain in the bunghole to deal with ... plus lots more powders and cast boolits in the Lyman Manual .
Get the Book ... :drinks:
Gary

I am old guy who does not appreciate many new and improved of things. The Hodgdon site is so bad I ordered a paper manual.

gwpercle
04-01-2024, 03:21 PM
I am old guy who does not appreciate many new and improved of things. The Hodgdon site is so bad I ordered a paper manual.

:goodpost:
I'll Drink To That Don :drinks:
Gary

35 Rem
04-01-2024, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I don't know why they had to change it. Before you could choose your cartridge, bullet weight and powder manufacturer then select whichever powders you wanted to look at. Now once you select the 1st powder, that's all it will let you look at. The only other option is to not select any and then you have to look at them all. Even the ones you know you most likely will never try. Som people seem to think that any change is progress even if it is two steps backwards.

racepres
04-01-2024, 03:51 PM
Interestingly, the Lyman 4th ed. has loads listed for obsolete powders such as SR4756. That information was not available in the previous manuals. Makes me wonder what changed that they now include data for powders that are no longer manufactured.

BTW: I keep all my old reloading manuals, even the ones that are falling apart. Some of that information is not available anywhere else.

Wayne
Yet...There is Nothing I can say I "like" about the 4th Lyman cast book
I have been getting along very nicely with the 2nd Pistol, Revolver Book!!
Along with the 47th manual, and of course the 3rd Cast Book

jdgabbard
04-01-2024, 04:48 PM
Yet...There is Nothing I can say I "like" about the 4th Lyman cast book
I have been getting along very nicely with the 2nd Pistol, Revolver Book!!
Along with the 47th manual, and of course the 3rd Cast Book

I do frequently grab the 4th when I go to reference data. But like you I still find the 3rd to be a VERY useful loading manual. But, I also break out the 44th every now and then to get ballparks for heavy bullets no longer offered. Having more than one manual is required!

dverna
04-01-2024, 06:32 PM
:goodpost:
I'll Drink To That Don :drinks:
Gary

Thanks Gary.

It really ticked me off to buy a paper copy, but that may be why they “updated” the site. Or some DEI hire who has never reloaded got the job.

And they wonder why we become grumpy old men.

15meter
04-01-2024, 07:19 PM

Wayne

Hey! SR4756 can't be obsolete, I just loaded up a dozen+ boxes of 20 gauge skeet loads with it.

rintinglen
04-02-2024, 11:54 AM
Until very recently, I urged buyers, "if you only get one, get the Lyman 3rd Edition CBH" but now I hold my nose and recommend the 4th edition.

And that is simply because so many of the powders are discontinued. Load 44 Special? OVER half of the powders listed for that cartridge are no longer available. I can't remember the last time I saw a can of 630 or AL-8 for sale. The OP asked for titegroup powder info, but there are oodles of powders not listed there. Varget, Power Pistol, Clays, Zip, AA #2, 5,7 or 9. None of the VV powders were around back then. Make sure you've got Bullseye, 2400 or Unique if you are looking for pistol load info in the older manuals.

And while I am in the whine mode, I'll join the chorus of complainers about the Hodgdon web-site changes. Dang it, I KNOW what powders I have. It is a nuisance to have to either search through a dozen listings to see the 2 or 3 that I want, or else hunt for them, one at a time. But their printed manual is just as worse. To make room for the Western and AA powder listings, they dumped a bunch of calibers all together. You have to go to their website for such oddball cartridges as the 250 or 300 Savages, the 44 Spl, the 32 acp, the 32 S&W long, the various short magnums. Aw phooey. I'm old, I don't like change.

Except underwear. I enjoy a clean pair of shorts in the morning.

racepres
04-02-2024, 12:19 PM
Powder and other component availability is a concern.
If it were Not for Places like this, and Other Interweb sources...I would Not know about BE-86...certainly Not from the Newest Published #4...
I still use the older Lyman books the Most..Pushing #4 aside....

jdgabbard
04-05-2024, 07:24 PM
Powder and other component availability is a concern.
If it were Not for Places like this, and Other Interweb sources...I would Not know about BE-86...certainly Not from the Newest Published #4...
I still use the older Lyman books the Most..Pushing #4 aside....

How do you like BE-86? Someone recommended it to me a while back for it's low-flash properties in handguns. Looking to drive a 125gr Lead HP as fast as possible in a 38spl...

Nick Quick
04-13-2024, 09:42 PM
Thank y'all for all the replies. I'm very happy I bought the 4th edition. The 3rd and 4th combined hold lots of great information.

racepres
04-14-2024, 07:58 AM
How do you like BE-86? Someone recommended it to me a while back for it's low-flash properties in handguns. Looking to drive a 125gr Lead HP as fast as possible in a 38spl...
I am having very good luck with BE-86..Should have bought More...But, Powder Valley has it on sale just now..
I have been using BE-86, Grain for Grain, with Unique Loads, In Everything so Far. Yes it seems slower, which we Knew, But, Start at the usual Unique Charge, and Work from there with yer Chronograph... I like this Stuff Alot... But sorry I do Not load 125's in 38/357. Certainly Not Jacketed. And when I do Load jacketed, 140's, in 38 or 357, I use Blue Dot (38), and H110 (357).
Good Luck

rintinglen
04-15-2024, 09:46 AM
On further observation, the "new 4th Edition" is now 14 years old. quite a few powders have come and gone over the last 14 years.

405grain
04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Not only have some powders become obsolete, new cartridges and powders have become available since the 4th edition went to print. Where's the data for 6.5 Creedmore, 350 Legend, and 450 Bushmaster, (plus others)? I think it's time for Lyman to start thinking about making the 5th edition CBH.

Nick Quick
04-15-2024, 04:16 PM
I had the same thoughts. Lyman should start working on the 5th edition.
405grain you're in my neck of the woods.

gwpercle
04-15-2024, 05:26 PM
Thanks Gary.

It really ticked me off to buy a paper copy, but that may be why they “updated” the site. Or some DEI hire who has never reloaded got the job.

And they wonder why we become grumpy old men.

That is exactly what I was thinking ... The computer programing Nerd who "revised" the data center must have no idea what handloading and reloading is ... OR
Make it so bad they have to buy our manual to get data ....
Yeah ... that's the ticket !
Gary

Wooserco
04-15-2024, 06:57 PM
They way of IT pros: One step forward, two steps back. They're almost as bad as weather forecasters in Michigan. On any given day, any time of the year: It could rain, it could be sunny, it could snow (in JUNE!), it could be partly cloudy. I wish that I could be wrong 50 percent of the time and keep my job!