PDA

View Full Version : Sabbath Rest

justindad
03-30-2024, 08:55 AM
What constitutes work? I enjoy casting and reloading, and I find those activities rejuvenating. Schmelting is definitely work.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 For six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord your God; on it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male slave or your female slave, or your cattle, or your resident who stays with you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Exodus 20:8-11, NASB

Der Gebirgsjager
03-30-2024, 09:34 AM
You'll likely get a full spectrum of answers. I observe the Sabbath as best I'm able, and to the extent I find possible. I avoid chores like going shopping or chopping wood, but do prepare meals, wash dishes--those things necessary. I find no harm in the pursuit of recreational pursuits, but one should remember that it is a time to turn one's thoughts to God. If circumstances don't prohibit it, I think one should fellowship with like minded people. Living remotely, that is out for me. The Lord did cite the "ox in the ditch" example, and one must do what absolutely needs to be done.

I knew a fellow who's parents were ultra-orthodox Jews. He told me that they spent the day sitting, contemplating, and praying, and that they wouldn't even turn on the lights or visit the bathroom. Sounds more like torture than a blessing to me. The scriptures state that it is "a day of rest."

ioon44
03-30-2024, 11:02 AM
He said to them, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and those who were with him were hungry — how he entered the house of God, and they ate the sacred bread, which is not lawful for him or for those with him to eat, but only for the priests? Or haven’t you read in the Law that on Sabbath days the priests in the temple violate the Sabbath and are innocent? But I tell you that something greater than the temple is here! If you had known what this means: I desire mercy and not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath” (Matthew 12:3-8).

.429&H110
03-31-2024, 07:13 PM
That's a sore spot with me.
I worked "on call" pager half my life.
So I worked Sundays and holidays, usually two weeks a month.
If you have a cold house by day or night, call me, but I am weary of routine emergencies.
(Not a problem now in AZ)

Had almost an argument with a deacon some several Sunday mornings.
This is Fairbanks winter, way below zero 10AM dawn.
Boss donated three big Lennox roof units to his new church, free service.
If we let them sit a week and expect them to fire up at 8AM
we are going to be disappointed sometimes, expecting frosted controls to light gas.
Had to swing by my shop for my 40 foot ladder, put it up in a snowbank alone,
scale the ramparts and figure out why we won't light gas again.

Argument was debate on lighting up Saturday night, so the place would be warm on Sunday morning, and maybe I could go to church too. Nonono we can't waste the gas. Don't tell me how to run my church, and fix the things right this time. Yes, indeed, the units had electric heaters in the control boxes, but if it wasn't one thing it was another. They could lose comm to the thermostat, yah it was cold in that annex. Most people run their units all winter, Walmart has 32 just like these, and the Walmart roof units just run fine all six months of winter.
Roof units in Fairbanks on a Sunday morning....
That job was too much fun, so I went to work for the University where Sunday is just another day.

"Why do the heathen rage and imagine a vain thing?"

Nines&Twos
04-01-2024, 11:34 AM
CHRIST IS my sabbath. I rest in him whenever I am weary...7 days a week...not just one. I remember the sabbath and keep it holy EVERY day. If I need to bust wood or mow grass on a Sunday...I will do it. If THAT is the difference between me overcoming and perishing....I never had a chance to begin with.
Colossians 2:16 ...Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days.
Romans 14:5 ....One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Make up your own mind, if Our Father gives you peace of mind & spirit over it...go with it and don't let someone else give you crap about it.

.429&H110
04-01-2024, 12:52 PM
I had had a boss in the '80s who wanted to schedule residential boiler service for weekends in the summer. That would be your "free cleaning" with your service contract automatic delivery and budget payment plan. (Be sure to keep your cancelled checks). Good deal really, you're making DHW all summer, August is not summer anymore in NH. The October rush was a quick service, ten a day.
Of 20 techs all but me were delighted to brush boilers on overtime. Customers were happy, they were home.

Five of us would be rolling any Sunday chasing calls, like O3 (Out Of Oil).
Letting your customers run out on Sunday makes no friends.
What is wrong with this picture?

HWooldridge
04-01-2024, 01:18 PM
Just my personal opinion, but I think the Sabbath day of rest involves two things - purposeful worship that is more focused than the remainder of the week, and abstinence from your NORMAL labors, e.g., if a woman is a housewife who bakes bread every morning, the Sabbath would allow her to rest from her work of making bread. Subsequently, your "hobbies" don't count, because they are a labor of love.

When this command was given, most people worked from daylight until dark at their usual tasks, then they ate and slept until the next day. The Sabbath gave everyone a day of reasonable rest - to heal, sleep, worship, pray, reflect, etc., in order to get ready for the upcoming week.

I'm sure there are better explanations...YMMV

Nines&Twos
04-01-2024, 01:44 PM
I'll repeat myself to say, everyone must make up their own mind on this one....but Jesus said in Mark chapter 2 verse 27 sabbath was made for the man and not man for the sabbath.
Stay in his word every day and don't over do it.

Thundarstick
04-01-2024, 04:07 PM
As a follower of the New Testament (brought into power by the death and resurrection of the Testator), I don't give any heed to the sabbath! The Sabbath is Old Law for the Jewish people. I memorialize Christ resurrection on the First day of the week, with brothers and sisters of like faith! The sabbath died on the cross!

Nines&Twos
04-01-2024, 04:12 PM
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The Law is not bad, people are bad. The law lets you know what sin is...Romans chapter 5
The blood of Christ will forgive but without the Law how would you know when and of what to repent?

Thundarstick
04-01-2024, 05:45 PM
So where do you do the burnt offerings?

9 of the 10 commandments are listed in the New Testament. Keeping the sabbath isn't.

Nines&Twos
04-01-2024, 06:31 PM
Make a study of the differences between Law...Ordnances and Statutes. There's a big difference and most choose to read over it and pretend it's all the same. I guess for some it's easier to write off the Old Testament like a history book. The blood ordnances were nailed to the cross. Statutes like health rules (clean and unclean) are more of a sin against your flesh not you soul. Breaking the food guidelines won't send you to a lake of fire but they'll make sick and/or exacerbate health problems you may already have.
There is no conflict as some suppose [create].

Nines&Twos
04-01-2024, 06:36 PM
The Sabbath is Old Law for the Jewish people.

Only the tribe of Judah? What about the other 11 tribes? Judah belongs to Israel but Israel does NOT belong to Judah.

.429&H110
04-01-2024, 06:58 PM
We have a new covenant!
Burnt offerings are brisket on the smoker.
"A savory smell..."

My dad told me service work on the Sabbath, that's Sunday, should be in defense of life and property.
Of course you feed chickens on Sunday.
For Fire and Police it's just another day.
And the University had alarms, everything is monitored and alarmed.

If I find your house freezing, and I can get heat back on, and the splits soldered, happy to help.
But who are you to tell me I cannot go to church with my wife?

'

ioon44
04-02-2024, 08:29 AM
The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Saturday-Sunday.html

Thundarstick
04-02-2024, 10:34 AM
the sabbath was given to israel, not the church. The sabbath is still saturday, not sunday, and has never been changed.

https://www.gotquestions.org/saturday-sunday.html

bingo!

.429&H110
04-02-2024, 01:01 PM
Yes indeed. I didn't want to work on Saturdays either.
Saturday is a day off with your kids.

Thundarstick
04-02-2024, 07:45 PM
I grew up farming. The cows where at the gate every morning, Saturday, Sunday, Christmas, Easter, cold, hot, rain, snow etc etc!

My career has been in health care. Guess what? The same work days applied as on the farm, everyday!

Stew
04-02-2024, 08:58 PM
We had a pastor several years ago who's wife would cook extra meals on Saturday so as not to "work" on the Sabbath. He was the only pastor we've had who practiced this. I believe it is between you and God. I feel it is fine for us to practice relaxing hobbies on the Sabbath and, for me, reloading is relaxing so is target shooting. Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Sandro_ventania
04-02-2024, 09:14 PM
The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed.

You are right, very rigth!

justindad
04-03-2024, 06:24 AM
Is it wise to take a day of rest?

ioon44
04-03-2024, 08:11 AM
Is it wise to take a day of rest?

Yes.

Alabama358
04-04-2024, 03:52 PM

I agree... I can not understand why folks want to return to the yoke (actually the curse) of the Law.

So as to not be mistaken...
I Love the fellowship of the church...
I love hearing the Word preached (not a watered down version that tiptoes around sensitive subjects so as to not offend.)
I love taking time off to rest but not at the expense of important stuff not getting done.

What a Christian "saved by Grace through Faith" calls church... is a completely different animal then the Hebrew Sabbath.

I really have a hard time reconciling why so many want to merge the two!

It makes me think of Galatians 3:1-29
For the sake of space I will just hit some highlights, but would highly recommend a refresh for those that have not read it in a while.

1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Anyway, please excuse my Anti-Legalism tangent.

Nines&Twos
04-04-2024, 05:02 PM
Obviously you can't live by the Law alone..one slip and you'd be done..you cannot sacrifice to atone so you'd be done for as far as salvation goes...Thank you Christ for taking care of that for us.

...But I got a question for the Law haters out there....when you repent, how do you know what to repent for? Without the Law, you wouldn't know what's sin and what ain't.
1John 3:4 If you sin you transgress the Law for sin is transgression of the Law. Pretty simple.

I really do wish more people knew the difference between Law, ordnances and statutes. ANYTHING requiring bloodletting isn't a Law....and would be an insult to Christ for he shed all the blood that'll ever need to be shed. Period. Ritual and Holy days won't save or damn you, none of that is Law. Theft, Homicide, Rape, Adultery .....it's still the Law. If we obeyed God's commandment for dealing with transgressors of those Laws...it would cease to happen among us but we're too good to put a child molester to death any more. (*spits on the ground*)
It just confuses me why people so adamantly turn their nose up to the Law given through Moses. I would think anything our Father took the time to have recorded would be worthy of learning. How many times did Jesus put the temple boys in their place with "It is written, have you not read?"
I'm skirting close to being judgmental here..but....there are a lot of people in my neck of the woods who couldn't be bothered to read anything in the old testament, let alone understanding Law. That's absurd. Every word Old & New testament is the word of God....Yeshua Jesus the Christ IS the living Word. He is in every single word if you look for it. ....Even the book of Numbers which, without fail, puts me firmly asleep should i try to read more than 3 or 4 chapters. [smilie=l:

It ain't worth getting upset over though...Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Alabama358
04-04-2024, 09:42 PM
...But I got a question for the Law haters out there....
If you are referring to me... I am not a Law hater, on the contrary I love every jot and tittle of GODs word. Being able to rightfully divide the WORD as to what is applicable regarding salvation after the cross is not hating anything.

I really do wish more people knew the difference between Law, ordnances and statutes. ANYTHING requiring bloodletting isn't a Law....and would be an insult to Christ for he shed all the blood that'll ever need to be shed. Period.
I am not sure what bloodletting you are talking about... But the original post/question had to do with keeping the sabbath and how much work you could get away with without being in violation of the Law. Sort of like Numbers 15:32-36 where they stoned a fellow for picking up sticks on the Sabbath

It just confuses me why people so adamantly turn their nose up to the Law given through Moses. I would think anything our Father took the time to have recorded would be worthy of learning. Well most of my post was not just my opinion on the matter... it was Paul's strong rebuke to the foolish Galatians for trying to work the Law into salvation.(and I am fairly certain that his words were inspired by the Father) So if you take exception to him turning up his nose to the Law you will have to take it up with him at the next Family reunion.

It ain't worth getting upset over though...Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

That is for sure and for certain.

trapper9260
04-05-2024, 07:19 AM

This what I was going to say , if one dose not think so look at your calendar and tell us what is the last day of the week . And what is the first day of the week . I do not worship the sun . The Sabbath is on Saturday that is why it is call that because of the Sabbath. Also if one thinks you should not do anything on it . Look what was wrote in the book . Asking that if your animal is stuck in the mud and it is on the Sabbath will you leave it there to die or take it out? We all do our on way of the Sabbath . It is not what one writes in the book because guess who wrote that book , it is man not one and only. Also who translate it from the one who first wrote it ? It is up to the one who translate it for how they see it . because like the english words it all sounds the same and might look the same but have different meaning . Like you trout fish and you run and trout line .