PDA

View Full Version : CNC 3 Axis Machine

Lostinidaho
03-29-2024, 10:56 PM
Has anyone thought of or has bought a hobbyist level machine to make parts?

The better ones can shape aluminum, brass and steel.

What are your thoughts

country gent
03-30-2024, 11:35 AM
They are good but the cad and cam programs can get expensive to buy. You also want some experience on manual machines before jumping in. What I have thought about in my shop is a DPMS mill with the easy path controller. easy programming right at the screen. easy to "read": can be programmed from a computer 2 1/2 axis. But used these machines are still bringing $11,000.00 or better. and that dosnt include sorting them out after moving them.

The other thing to consider for gun parts and the small parts would be a wire edm.

Keep in mind whether manual cnc or filing knowing how to fixture or hold the work piece is the big part of making the part.

Lostinidaho
03-30-2024, 03:39 PM
I have used mid-level cost 3D printers at work and I am amazed at their accuracy and repeatability. I have even made prototype parts for guns. Tested for fit and then made the parts cutting and filing from metal to shape. These are simple parts. I have used an acquaintances 3D CNC router for wood working. Again the the accuracy and repeatability is amazing. I have seen some CNC that are for aluminum, brass and low carbon steel. So I am just thinking and dreaming about projects in the future.