PDA

View Full Version : Am I able to legally take a revolver to California while I go on a pack trip?

chutestrate
03-28-2024, 03:30 PM
Family friend invited me and suggested I bring something because there are known to be sightings of mountain lions where we would be. I started looking at the CA regs and I'm thinking heck no. I think the 44 would stay on the horse or in my tent. Know way would I be carrying it. Just looking g for some clarification ig anyone has experience with this sort of thing. I'm traveling from PA.

schutzen-jager
03-28-2024, 03:36 PM
get a response to your question in writing from the CA. attorney generals office

rintinglen
03-28-2024, 04:12 PM
It is a hodge-podge, without knowing exactly where you are going, nobody, not even the Attorney General can give a specific answer. While it is legal in some areas, in the main on BLM land. It is not legal to carry a firearm except in pursuit of game in most national and state forests. For a paltry $204.96 you can purchase a hunting license. However, Some places (state parks) completely outlaw civilian carry unless you have a CCW permit. Which you can't get unless you live there. Bear Spray, and a hatchet are OK in wilderness areas.

square butte
03-28-2024, 04:14 PM
Kinda depends on how you plan to travel - One set of issues for flying - Anther set of issues for driving - Another set of issues once you cross the CA line. I wouldn't do it - I don't like gambling with my freedoms and good name at this point.

chutestrate
03-28-2024, 04:31 PM
I agree with not doing it. Once I spent some time on the ca firearm website I just threw my hands up.

schutzen-jager
03-28-2024, 04:51 PM
rintinglen, fwiw - the CA. state attorney general has knowledge of + complete authority over all state + municipal laws, including state owned land + parks !

DougGuy
03-28-2024, 04:53 PM
How about you invite your family friend to a gun friendly state, NC or VA for instance, to hike the Appalachian Trail or parts of Skyline Drive (Blue Ridge Parkway) it is a national park, but:

As of February 22, 2010, federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

We have mountain lions and black bears. Book a weekend at Fiddler's Roost cabins and hike all you want.

Larry Gibson
03-28-2024, 05:24 PM
Even though I can see 50 miles into California from my house All the above is exactly why I don't go into California.

elmacgyver0
03-28-2024, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't even if I got the okay.

pietro
03-28-2024, 05:39 PM
Family friend invited me and suggested I bring something because there are known to be sightings of mountain lions where we would be. I started looking at the CA regs and I'm thinking heck no. .

I would suggest trying to use the EASY button, and ask your friend to temporarily lend one of his to you for the day.

A temporary loan might even be legal there.

.429&H110
03-28-2024, 06:04 PM
In CA they'd cheer for the cat to eat you as in AK mama bears are not shot.
There are a lot of different priced bear sprays $100 for sure.
Get two or three, shoot off one for fun, outdoors, upwind,
I was trained up on the giant economy size, practice makes perfect.
The expensive ones look like a small fire extinguisher, and will hose down a bear.
A cat would not stick around past the sound of it.
You should worry about what is behind your target, but with bear spray, pull the trigger.
Please don't squirt the horse...

Half Dog
03-28-2024, 06:13 PM
A few years ago I flew to Ca and needed to drive a uhaul back to Texas. I declared a handgun at the airport and when we landed I thought it went first class while I rode coach. But I didn’t have any issues.

MT Gianni
03-28-2024, 07:00 PM
A mountain lion killed one brother and wounded another who were shed hunting in CA. The article reminds people that hunting Cougars is illegal in Ca, presumably even if it is chewing on you. Second point is that if it isn't being carried, it would not be accessible in time.

Barry54
03-28-2024, 07:12 PM
How about you invite your family friend to a gun friendly state, NC or VA for instance, to hike the Appalachian Trail or parts of Skyline Drive (Blue Ridge Parkway) it is a national park, but:

As of February 22, 2010, federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

We have mountain lions and black bears. Book a weekend at Fiddler's Roost cabins and hike all you want.

+1 for going somewhere friendly

gwpercle
03-28-2024, 07:12 PM
Probably Not ... unless you are an Illegal Alien ... that makes a big difference in what you can / can't do in CA. !
Gary

Bird
03-28-2024, 07:43 PM
I am currently reviewing CA gun laws for the past 2 years to bring me up to date.
As far as I understand its ok to bring in a firearm unless it is a REGISTERED ASAULT WEAPON as defined by CA law.
You may not cross the CA border with ammo, as it is illegal to import into the state without going through a FFL, see below. You would have to buy ammo here, but would then need CA id and a background check and pay a fee to purchase through a FFL/gun shop. You can buy ammo at a gun range, but must consume it all there.
If you want upto date info go to calguns.net and ask there.
Using firearms for protection out in the wilds, is pretty much a no no, and that is why I don't venture out there.

UPDATE, it appears that non california residents may bring ammunition with them into california, they just can not buy it here unless at a range where it must be consumed.

rintinglen
03-29-2024, 12:31 PM
rintinglen, fwiw - the CA. state attorney general has knowledge of + complete authority over all state + municipal laws, including state owned land + parks !

Don't you believe it. He may have authority, but the laws are so specific and in many cases contradictory, with state laws allowing local governments to make laws more stringent than the state you can easily find yourself in, out and in trouble in an area less than 5 miles. I lived there from 1973 until 2020, and saw scores of changes, over the decades, always more restrictive. I was very glad to see the last of it in the rear mirror when I retired.

schutzen-jager
03-29-2024, 01:48 PM
local + state laws can not legally conflict with one another -

white eagle
03-29-2024, 02:02 PM
seems to me like the only thing you need to fear in CA is the politicians

scattershot
03-29-2024, 07:54 PM
I’d take whatever I wanted to, and just keep my mouth shut. Thar’s just me, though.

elmacgyver0
03-29-2024, 08:06 PM
I think I would stay the hades away from California, let alone take a gun there.
It may all work out fine, probably will, but then again it may not.

Baltimoreed
03-29-2024, 09:38 PM
I almost moved out there in 1973 or 1974 but luckily the California girl from college that I was traveling with and I broke up halfway across Canada. I spent the summer in Seattle. Nice place but I returned home to NC. Dodged a couple bullets there. The left coast is pretty but I like my guns more.

Abert Rim
03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
I'm with scattershot on this, but be aware California is scared to death of concealed carry. As to using firearms on Forest Service and BLM land, I have done it all my life and asked no man's permission to target shoot -- or hunt, in season.

NSB
03-30-2024, 08:48 AM
There is no worse place to get legal and medical advice than on the internet. How many of the people who responded are lawyers and and how many think they are? Call CA and speak to someone who actually knows the answer.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-30-2024, 09:31 AM
Wyoming, Montana, Idaho ? Lions, wolves and bears, even grizz but you can CHOOT EM! if they're chewing on you.

schutzen-jager
03-30-2024, 09:40 AM
There is no worse place to get legal and medical advice than on the internet. How many of the people who responded are lawyers and and how many think they are? Call CA and speak to someone who actually knows the answer.

totally agree, but get response in writing on an official letter head -

Ed K
03-30-2024, 03:03 PM
get a response to your question in writing from the CA. attorney generals office

If you asked this question verbatim: "Am I able to legally take a revolver to California while I go on a pack trip?", not only would you not likely receive a response but in the off chance you did it would not likely provide you with an answer you could make practical use of.

03-30-2024, 03:43 PM
Sad to say, but I wouldn't give Ca. a dime in tourist trade. Go to some place in America instead.

rintinglen
03-31-2024, 11:14 AM
If you asked this question verbatim: "Am I able to legally take a revolver to California while I go on a pack trip?", not only would you not likely receive a response but in the off chance you did it would not likely provide you with an answer you could make practical use of.

Exactly, without specific details as to the area(s) to be traversed, what buildings, if any are to be entered. Nobody can give a definitive answer. And I would point out that local governments can enact laws that differ from the state laws (they can be more strict, but not less, generally speaking.) For example, the basic speed law was that the speed limit was 65 miles an hour, "except where local conditions may require lower limits." Additionally, while you can legally bring a revolver, you generally can not carry it in any municipality without a permit. And there is no provision for issuance to out-of-state residents.

schutzen-jager
03-31-2024, 12:44 PM
fwiw - state + local laws can not legally conflict with each other !

Der Gebirgsjager
03-31-2024, 03:09 PM
Why not contact the California Rifle and Pistol Association and ask them? 271 E. Imperial Highway, Suite 620, Fullerton, CA 92835, (714) 992-2772. They are the organization that fights all of the anti-gun legislation proposed in California and are up-to-date on all the laws.

I'll say that you should refine the question down to a specific gun, such as , "My S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum". California has a list of handguns that are prohibited from import and/or sale in the State; or actually, a list of handguns that are approved, and anything on the list is not allowed to be brought in. I've been away from the gun show scene for about 10 years, but when I was last attending the California Dept. of Justice had agents who attended Oregon gun shows observing what was purchased by people with California license plates, and then following them back to California, making a traffic stop, and arresting the occupants for possession of anything not allowed to be imported into the State. Current law is such that if you move to California and bring in any guns not on the approved list you must surrender them to law enforcement for destruction. You can't even sell them to an FFL Dealer, as he isn't allowed to have them either.

It isn't much better here in Oregon either. My understanding of current Oregon law is that, were you to visit, I can not loan you a rifle or shotgun to go hunting with. We must visit a dealer and complete a Form 4473, and do the same again when you return the long gun. It is debatable whether or not I can temporarily transfer a handgun to you for hunting purposes, as being a out-of-state resident you can not buy one here and take possession of it. You can buy one, but it will be shipped to an FFL Dealer in your home state, who must then transfer the firearm to you. So, technically, he sells the handgun to you, not the Oregon dealer.

Have our Rights been infringed upon? Probably not over yet.

DG

chutestrate
03-31-2024, 08:21 PM
I already determined that I would not do that. That question would be a conversation in much greater depth if I had decided to pursue it. That question was posed here to generate discussion, and that was achieved. Thanks again to all.

Bird
03-31-2024, 08:55 PM
Why not contact the California Rifle and Pistol Association and ask them? 271 E. Imperial Highway, Suite 620, Fullerton, CA 92835, (714) 992-2772. They are the organization that fights all of the anti-gun legislation proposed in California and are up-to-date on all the laws.

I'll say that you should refine the question down to a specific gun, such as , "My S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum". California has a list of handguns that are prohibited from import and/or sale in the State; or actually, a list of handguns that are approved, and anything on the list is not allowed to be brought in. I've been away from the gun show scene for about 10 years, but when I was last attending the California Dept. of Justice had agents who attended Oregon gun shows observing what was purchased by people with California license plates, and then following them back to California, making a traffic stop, and arresting the occupants for possession of anything not allowed to be imported into the State. Current law is such that if you move to California and bring in any guns not on the approved list you must surrender them to law enforcement for destruction. You can't even sell them to an FFL Dealer, as he isn't allowed to have them either.

It isn't much better here in Oregon either. My understanding of current Oregon law is that, were you to visit, I can not loan you a rifle or shotgun to go hunting with. We must visit a dealer and complete a Form 4473, and do the same again when you return the long gun. It is debatable whether or not I can temporarily transfer a handgun to you for hunting purposes, as being a out-of-state resident you can not buy one here and take possession of it. You can buy one, but it will be shipped to an FFL Dealer in your home state, who must then transfer the firearm to you. So, technically, he sells the handgun to you, not the Oregon dealer.

Have our Rights been infringed upon? Probably not over yet.

DG
''California has a list of handguns that are prohibited from import and/or sale in the State; or actually, a list of handguns that are approved, and anything on the list is not allowed to be brought in''
There is an approved handgun roster for california that applies to current california residents. If you are moving into california from another state the roster does not apply. Once the handgun is registered in california, it may be sold to other california residents. It is referred to as an off roster person to person (PTP) sale.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-31-2024, 09:28 PM
Thanks for your input.

DG

jdgabbard
04-01-2024, 04:53 PM
Personally, I'd ask for forgiveness instead of permission. But in Oklahoma we view things a little differently... Including our views on visiting known hostile states....

.429&H110
04-01-2024, 08:24 PM
I Googled it so I know it's right.

Bear spray is legal in CA.

Get the big one with red paint in it.
It's nasty.

schutzen-jager
04-02-2024, 07:28 AM
must be true because you read it on the internet !!! -

.429&H110
04-02-2024, 10:56 AM
Google has a lot of links to Cali laws, lots and lots of CA law.
I am rightly curious about the politics of carrying bear spray.
Or reasonably using it on people reasonably.
Phooey on tear gas pens, I mean the Alaskan version that I trained on and carry. IF if.
O my, if... Never heard of an Alaskan getting painted red, but it must have happened.
That stuff doesn't wash off!

If if if it was not reasonable, use would be assault,
AZ prosecutes quickly and as Trump noticed
a DA can indict a ham sandwich.

FergusonTO35
04-02-2024, 12:22 PM
This advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, but my understanding is that many of the rural counties are decidedly pro gun and you pretty much have to be committing a separate felony crime or doing something really flagrant i.e. bring in a machine gun to get jammed up. I read on Calguns that the AWB is simply not enforced in alot of places, at least on the city and county level. If you're staying in one county, a call to the sheriff's office should give you the straight scoop.

Me personally, I would carry a heavy and strong walking staff and big can of bear spray. If it is legal to carry a large hunting knife outside the city I would carry that too. A pump shotgun with buck or slug might be legally safe when not in town, Ida know.

schutzen-jager
04-02-2024, 02:56 PM
Google has a lot of links to Cali laws, lots and lots of CA law.
I am rightly curious about the politics of carrying bear spray.
Or reasonably using it on people reasonably.
Phooey on tear gas pens, I mean the Alaskan version that I trained on and carry. IF if.
O my, if... Never heard of an Alaskan getting painted red, but it must have happened.
That stuff doesn't wash off!

If if if it was not reasonable, use would be assault,
AZ prosecutes quickly and as Trump noticed
a DA can indict a ham sandwich.

fwiw - the laws can change faster than they get posted on Google or any other search engine - Google is extremely left leaning + has no legal responsibility toward anything they post in error - like previously stated get info + answers in writing only direct from the State Attorney Generals Office, + that can change rapidly -

rintinglen
04-02-2024, 03:37 PM
FINDLAW /
CODES /
CALIFORNIA /
PENAL CODE /
§ 22810
California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 22810
Current as of January 01, 2023 | Updated by FindLaw Staff

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any person may purchase, possess, or use tear gas or any tear gas weapon for the projection or release of tear gas if the tear gas or tear gas weapon is used solely for self-defense purposes, subject to the following requirements:

(a) No person convicted of a felony or any crime involving an assault under the laws of the United States, the State of California, or any other state, government, or country, or convicted of misuse of tear gas under subdivision (g), shall purchase, possess, or use tear gas or any tear gas weapon.

(b) No person addicted to any narcotic drug shall purchase, possess, or use tear gas or any tear gas weapon.

(c) No person shall sell or furnish any tear gas or tear gas weapon to a minor.

(d) No minor shall purchase, possess, or use tear gas or any tear gas weapon.

(e)(1) No person shall purchase, possess, or use any tear gas weapon that expels a projectile, or that expels the tear gas by any method other than an aerosol spray, or that contains more than 2.5 ounces net weight of aerosol spray.

(2) Every tear gas container and tear gas weapon that may be lawfully purchased, possessed, and used pursuant to this section shall have a label that states: “WARNING: The use of this substance or device for any purpose other than self-defense is a crime under the law. The contents are dangerous--use with care.”

(3) After January 1, 1984, every tear gas container and tear gas weapon that may be lawfully purchased, possessed, and used pursuant to this section shall have a label that discloses the date on which the useful life of the tear gas weapon expires.

(4) Every tear gas container and tear gas weapon that may be lawfully purchased pursuant to this section shall be accompanied at the time of purchase by printed instructions for use.

(f) Effective March 1, 1994, every tear gas container and tear gas weapon that may be lawfully purchased, possessed, and used pursuant to this section shall be accompanied by an insert including directions for use, first aid information, safety and storage information, and explanation of the legal ramifications of improper use of the tear gas container or tear gas product.

(g)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who uses tear gas or any tear gas weapon except in self-defense is guilty of a public offense and is punishable by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for 16 months, or two or three years or in a county jail not to exceed one year or by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment.

(2) If the use is against a peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, engaged in the performance of official duties and the person committing the offense knows or reasonably should know that the victim is a peace officer, the offense is punishable by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for 16 months or two or three years or by a fine of one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment.

Also that you may not take pepper spray into a polling place, school, State Capitol Building, courthouse and a number of other places. Municipalities may have further ordinances.

Also, read this from the National Parks Service:
"Can I bring a weapon or firearms into the parks?
Weapons (including, but not limited to, BB, Pellet and Paint Guns, Bow/Arrow, Slingshots, Bear Spray and other compressed gas irritant devices) are illegal to possess. Discharge of a firearm or weapon is prohibited within Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks."

Note: Bear Spray is not prohibited and is in fact encouraged for carry in most other state and national parks. I have had rangers recommend it while hiking in the Cleveland National Forest. Apparently the bears in Kings and Sequoia National Parks are not a threat and no mountain lions nor 2 legged predators are found there either. However, note the 2.5 ounce limit in 22810 e(1).

Duckiller
04-03-2024, 03:45 AM
I left California in Nov. 2020. At that time local government could not make laws that were harsher than State law. I doubt if that has changed. DOJ and State legislature don't want to share power with local government. California has little problem with revolvers. Single action revolvers are exempt from the gun list. Call the State DOJ they will tell you how to stay out of trouble. Totally ignore people on the internet that don't live in California. They don't know what they are talking about and they hate California.

schutzen-jager
04-03-2024, 08:17 AM
I left California in Nov. 2020. At that time local government could not make laws that were harsher than State law. I doubt if that has changed. DOJ and State legislature don't want to share power with local government. California has little problem with revolvers. Single action revolvers are exempt from the gun list. Call the State DOJ they will tell you how to stay out of trouble. Totally ignore people on the internet that don't live in California. They don't know what they are talking about and they hate California.

totally agree - very foolish to obtain legal advice from any internet source except the issuing regulatory agency, + that can change at anytime + can be subject to different legal interpretations -

WRideout
04-03-2024, 09:25 AM
I am currently reviewing CA gun laws for the past 2 years to bring me up to date.
As far as I understand its ok to bring in a firearm unless it is a REGISTERED ASAULT WEAPON as defined by CA law.
You may not cross the CA border with ammo, as it is illegal to import into the state without going through a FFL, see below. You would have to buy ammo here, but would then need CA id and a background check and pay a fee to purchase through a FFL/gun shop. You can buy ammo at a gun range, but must consume it all there.
If you want upto date info go to calguns.net and ask there.
Using firearms for protection out in the wilds, is pretty much a no no, and that is why I don't venture out there.

UPDATE, it appears that non california residents may bring ammunition with them into california, they just can not buy it here unless at a range where it must be consumed.

Would having a friend buy ammo for you qualify as a "straw purchase?"
Wayne

WRideout
04-03-2024, 09:35 AM

It is my understanding that local laws regarding firearms are superseded by state law, and local government has no authority to regulate them. Having said that, local governments still try to enact regulations restricting firearms that may be illegal however if one is prosecuted anyway, it will be up to the individual to prove that the municipality does not have that authority. Attorney fees, court costs, etc. will abound.
Wayne

schutzen-jager
04-03-2024, 11:37 AM
Wayne

in my state it definitely would !

.429&H110
04-03-2024, 03:04 PM
Disappointed about the slingshot ban. Haven't seen my coyotes for a while.
IMHO 2.5 oz would make a bear sneeze, maybe.
Four people with four small cans might work out though.

Gotta look up AZ and see if 2.5 is the limit here, too.

Bird
04-03-2024, 03:47 PM
Wayne

Yes. Ammo transfers must be done through a FFL, and to include a background check.

chutestrate
04-03-2024, 06:19 PM
I'll be happy with a good walking stick, bear spray and a knife.

WILCO
04-03-2024, 06:30 PM
Better off staying out of CA.

elmacgyver0
04-03-2024, 06:40 PM
Personally, I'd ask for forgiveness instead of permission. But in Oklahoma we view things a little differently... Including our views on visiting known hostile states....

Problem is: liberals are not too forgiving.

jdgabbard
04-03-2024, 07:04 PM
Problem is: liberals are not too forgiving.

Re-read that last sentence. ;)

.429&H110
04-03-2024, 11:59 PM
The things I learn on this forum!
Thank you!

Never occurred to me, my bear spray in the Coronado National Forest or Madeira Canyon is illegal.

UAF "Bear Safety"
(other afternoon class is "Safety Around Bears")
(you have to go, it is safety training...)
(one class, you are safe, other class the bear is safe)
recommended and trained on
>>> UDAP Pepper Power Bear Deterrent<<<
I have two, looking at this one:
Nine inches long, Two inches in diameter, fits in a back pocket.
Label claims 2% capsaisin and I have shot one of these, be upwind.

7.9 oz (225gr) it has a lot of spray to spray like a squirt gun.

Illegal, breaks my heart! Glad I found out.
I'm glad I can hit with my slingshot. Don't sneer, it's a weapon.
But not a good idea in CA or NJ or the National Forest. Bear Safety?

schutzen-jager
04-04-2024, 08:07 AM
Illegal, breaks my heart! Glad I found out.
I'm glad I can hit with my slingshot. Don't sneer, it's a weapon.
But not a good idea in CA or NJ or the National Forest. Bear Safety?
429&h110
hard to believe but, it is totally forbidden + a felony to even possess a slingshot here in New Jersey ! -

.429&H110
04-04-2024, 10:06 AM
Made the joke before:

"Little David's Sling" is legal in NJ
Really!
They did not want to outlaw thongs...

schutzen-jager
04-04-2024, 10:37 AM
direct from NJ 2c39-3 - paragraf E
e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

jdgabbard
04-04-2024, 12:47 PM
direct from NJ 2c39-3 - paragraf E
e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

^^^ That is absolutely ridiculous. A stick with a rubber band is illegal??? That said, switchblades and "metal knuckles" or as we call them "brass knuckles" are illegal here too. But nobody cares about automatics and assisted knives. They'll still get you for knuckle dusters, but again, I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission where it concerns how I protect myself.

MT Gianni
04-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Yes you can take whatever firearm you want as long as it is encased in a 4" coating of Lucite.