PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use lodge wedge pan for ingots???????????

haff202
02-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Cast iron pot with wedge shaped triangles. Would these be any good to cast ingots with. How much do you think they would weigh?? They should stack real nice, putting one each direction. $19.99 at TSC. I have like $100 gift card for the store and there is nothing I need but as I get into casting bullets I have to have the basics.

Orygun
02-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Yes, I have one and I find it a little harder to dump out the ingots than others due to the shape, but I do like the shape. I think that I found mine at a yard sale of a thrift shop and probably didn't pay very much for it.

corvette8n
02-20-2009, 10:16 AM
I havent but I might try this

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=513305

looks like oversize muffins, should work ok

e15cap
02-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Corn Muffin pans work best for me. They stack ok and fit any size pot opening.

mold maker
02-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Casting pot opening is the deciding factor, especially with bottom pour pots. Having too large an ingot to get all the way into the pot is a bummer.
I'm awfully partial to the reg. alum. ingot molds. Their light weight and cool fast. The ingots nest tight and store easily. (over 750# to a milk crate)
I stamp the inside of mold with an ID mark and use it for only one alloy. That way each ingot is already marked.

montana_charlie
02-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Cast iron pot with wedge shaped triangles.
$19.99 at TSC. I have like $100 gift card for the store
There are usually about five (or so) of those available on eBay every day. They don't seem to be very popular, so they go for a lot less than $19.95.

I think the main advantage of that shape is...when your 20 pound pot is full, you can wedge in another pound and a half if the ingot is shaped right.
CM

Tom W.
02-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Lodge makes a cast iron little skillet looking thing that they advertise as a spoon holder/ ashtray thing. I have one that I put under my Lee pots to catch dribbles and overflows. I'll also fill it with sprues and rejects, then pour some melt in it to bond everything together and when it solidifies, I'll dump it on my towel,and lift the warm ingot with a pair of channel locks and put it back into the pot. It fits just fine.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=prologic&idProduct=3968

jnovotny
02-20-2009, 06:45 PM
I started with one of those triangle pans along time ago. It is APITA to get those ingots into a Lee 10# pot. It will work but it's a hassel. If you bought one cheep cast away see if you like them. But I wouldn't spend $20.00 on one. Just my 2cents.

Doc Highwall
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
I have several of these and this shape lets me know that this shape ingot is 30:1 alloy and they weigh 2-1/2+ lbs ea and fit in my 20lb LEE Pro 4. I have another shape for 20:1 and another for wheel weights. This avoids mix ups later on as to what the alloy is.

2TN Mules
02-20-2009, 08:12 PM
I prefer the cornbread stick pans. They cast a 18oz ingot that will fit any pot. I have no trouble stacking them.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/2TNMules/IMG_0423.jpg

vernm
02-20-2009, 08:28 PM
I have used an eight section corn bread skillet. Works fine. I got it heated up and the ingots did not want to come out. Rapped it on the wooden table ahd broke off the handle. Still worked, just a little inconvient. Had to use water pump pliers to dump it.

I prefer smaller ingots in case I drop one into the pot. I have an "oopps" once in a while when working in heavy gloves. I have used a set of aluminum tart pans
for about 20 years. They are kind of warped and bent. Not near as durable as cast iron.

I put a small ingot in the pot after every cast. That does not lower the temp (22lb pot), keeps the pot level pretty stable and yields consistent bullets. Bullets that pass a visual inspection are usually within one grain.

pipehand
02-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I use the eight section Lodge cornbread pan for making ingots. The ingots store nicely in the icing buckets I pick up at the Krispy Kreme Donut shop. If you fill them up more than half full, the handles will pull off when lifting. They don't take up a lot of floor space if you nest half full buckets of ingots inte each other.

Dale53
02-20-2009, 10:03 PM
If you have a welder or a welder friend (it is VERY important to have at least one welder friend and one machinist friend - they are available to those that ARE a friend:mrgreen:) then you can easily have made up what I consider the best (to go along with a couple of regular ingot moulds). That is an ingot mould that is made from 2" angle iron. Scraps are often available at the local junk yard. A set of bed rails will make a good number of these:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QWinter2009andleadsmelting-1769.jpg

Each ingot will weigh about 3.5 lbs (these are roughly 6" long). You can put a number of these in an empty cold pot (as I remember, 4-5). I should remember as I was using some this morning:confused:.

Dale53

LAH
02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Those are nice Dale..........Creeker

Dale53
02-20-2009, 10:20 PM
LAH;
Thanks, Creeker.

The nice part about them is that in addition to being a very nice size (both weight and dimensions) the materials are readily available and quite inexpensive. Of course, being a "green person" (ahem!:groner:) I also like the fact that I am "recycling" material (that's why it is generally inexpensive:mrgreen:).

Dale53

Mk42gunner
02-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I had one of the triangular cast iron muffin pans. I don't know what brand it was; it came in a box of junk for a dollar at an auction. I used it for ingots the first time today, and the handle broke off when I was dumping the second filling ingots out.

I am going to weld up some more of the angle iron ingot molds, they seem to work better than anything else I have used.

Robert

GLL
02-21-2009, 12:57 AM
I am also a fan of welded moulds for large ingots.

Here are 5.5 pound ingots from a welded mould available from jawjaboy. I own seven ! :)

The smaller ones are very old cast iron muffin moulds that produce 1.5 pound ingots that are perfect form my ladle casting pots.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/5A6777B8FA7EE62/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/FB02054454498D2/orig.jpg

LAH
02-21-2009, 09:12 AM
LAH;
Thanks, Creeker.

Of course, being a "green person" (ahem!:groner:) I also like the fact that I am "recycling" material (that's why it is generally inexpensive:mrgreen:).

Dale53

Being GREEN like you, I also recycle [like you] lead.

Westwindmike
02-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I use my Lodge pan for making cornbread. Plenty of other options for lead.

Char-Gar
02-21-2009, 12:07 PM
I have two of those cast iron wedge cornbread pans and two for cornbread sticks. I use them all for ingot molds. I have a 20 lb Lyman furnace. I don't even recall where they came from. I do know I didn't buy any of them.

Sprue
02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Nah... everything above are actually inglettes.

I'll loan you a 4 cav ingot mold, you pay shipping. These really stack well.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/lbigeadingots.jpg

Dale53
02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Sprue;
I admit it! I am just a piker by comparison! Those ingots in your picture are so large that I could only carry a couple of those at a time (yeah, right![smilie=1:).

It'd take a pretty good crane to move those!! If I put two of them on the floor of my casting barn, it would collapse the floor and secondly, I would never be able to move it LOL.

Dale53

beagle
02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
You know, speaking of Lodge, we could probably design a nice ingot mold and have Lodge to make it.

I've visited their plant at South Pittsburg and the owner is a darn nice guy. I was picking up dutch ovens and griddles......

I was expecting this nasty, dusty old foundry and here's a facility that was orderly and neat as a pin....../beagle

montana_charlie
02-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Do those ingots have handles moulded right into the ends? That is a nice touch, since a guy would probably want to use both hands to ease one down into his bottom pour pot.

Only problem I can see is...a pot that size would need a canoe paddle to use the stick method for fluxing. They don't give those away free at the paint store...

CM

Chunky Monkey
02-22-2009, 02:29 PM
You know, speaking of Lodge, we could probably design a nice ingot mold and have Lodge to make it.

I've visited their plant at South Pittsburg and the owner is a darn nice guy. I was picking up dutch ovens and griddles......

I was expecting this nasty, dusty old foundry and here's a facility that was orderly and neat as a pin....../beagle

Sounds like we need someone to design it and put together a group buy!! [smilie=1:

cajun shooter
02-23-2009, 09:44 AM
You might want to check out the shipping from that site corvette man. I did and it's almost as much as the pan

bgokk
02-24-2009, 04:56 AM
I just received 2 of the Giant CI Muff Pans from SG. They are really GIANT I don't know how much the ingots will weigh as at present haven't any WW or other lead to make ingots. A couple of months ago I bought this from SG I used it to melt down my first batch of WW's. The only ingot mould I had was a Lee aluminum and as a result the process went rather slowly. The Chicken Fry Skillet holds 6 quarts.

Dale53
02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
I couldn't find the Giant CI Muff Pans on the web site. However, these are certainly interesting as possible ingot moulds:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/zoom/zoompop.asp?i=81481_ts.JPG&h=&w=&bgc=&ui=&mc=&cf=&nv=&c=&adid=254669

The only problem is the size of the "ingot" isn't listed. I would hate to get one of these and determine that it wouldn't work in my RCBS pot (guess I would just have to use it for biscuits - Oh, that would be terrible[smilie=1:). Of course, I wouldn't use it for food after I used it for lead, even ONCE! However, I could measure one in hand to determine if it would be practical.

Anyone tried one of these?

Dale53

bgokk
02-24-2009, 06:41 PM
I couldn't find the Giant CI Muff Pans on the web site. However, these are certainly interesting as possible ingot moulds:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/zoom/zoompop.asp?i=81481_ts.JPG&h=&w=&bgc=&ui=&mc=&cf=&nv=&c=&adid=254669

The only problem is the size of the "ingot" isn't listed. I would hate to get one of these and determine that it wouldn't work in my RCBS pot (guess I would just have to use it for biscuits - Oh, that would be terrible[smilie=1:). Of course, I wouldn't use it for food after I used it for lead, even ONCE! However, I could measure one in hand to determine if it would be practical.

Anyone tried one of these?

Dale53

Here is a link to the Giant CI Muff: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=513305

Measurements are Each cup approx. 3 3/4" diameter, 1 7/8" deep. Weighs 8 lbs., 14 ozs.

The measurements are given and there is a smaller one here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=511224

After page opens scroll down its the last item. However when you scroll down to the price it calls it the Giant CI Muffin Pan. Go figure????:-(

bgokk
02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
I just checked my order and the price and stock # shown at the bottom of the second link is for the Giant CI Muffs at 3 3/4" diameter, 1 7/8" deep. Weighs 8 lbs., 14 ozs. not the 2 1/2" dia described in that link. Stock # for the GCIM is AX9R-152477

revolver junkie
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
hey new member here

i use mini muffin tins they cost about $6 i cut em up with tin snips and pour 2 at a time only problem is the leee production pot i have wont let me fill the tins all the way but each ingot is about 2 1/2-3 lbs

qtip223
02-27-2009, 07:52 PM
I use corn muffin pans and regular muffin pans. Easy to stack and use.

part_timer
02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I bought some little stainless steel sauce cups at w-mart. They cast a 1 1/2lb ingot that fits in my 4lb lee pot. They were .99 for 6 of them. I just need to find a different size for different blends.

cbrick
03-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I use the RCBS 10 pound cast iron pot to make ingots. Filled half full they make 5 pound ingots that are flat top and bottom and stack great. Filled full it does make 10 pound ingots but the 10 pounders WILL NOT fit into the RCBS 22 pound pot.

http://www.lasc.us/5lbingots.jpg

Rick

Cheshire Dave
03-01-2009, 03:27 PM
I made some ingot moulds from 2" scrap channel iron. You can vary the weight by the length you cut them. The channel has a slight angle formed in and I just matched the angle when I cut to length and welded on end plates.