PDA

View Full Version : Annealing question

Schreck5
03-27-2024, 05:44 PM
I am new to reloading the 32.20. Do I need to anneal my new brass (neck area)? I also bought some once-shot brass, should it be annealed? Just wondering cause i have been reading that the 32.20 necks can be kind of thin.
I think I'll try using pure black powder since that's where my heart lays. I've shot a lot of flintlocks, so I have the powder. However, I have never shot BP in a brass case before so I've also had to do some learning in that area.
Any advise there would be helpful too. Thanks.

country gent
03-27-2024, 05:57 PM
starline recommends annealing their brass for black powder loads. I anneal my brass every other loading this is 44-40, 38-55,40-65,45-70, and 45-90. Annealing will help the case necks to seal better. You will also get better more consistant neck tension.

You will need to watch belling and crimp on the 32-20. Pay attention to details and you wont have any problems.

Schreck5
03-27-2024, 08:04 PM
How far down the case do I need to annealing? And can I annealing them by dipping them in my lead pot while I cast my bullets? Or just use a candle?

country gent
03-27-2024, 09:24 PM
I anneal the neck portion and just below it. You can do it in a lead pot but you wont have time to cast bullets while doing it. A candle is slow a propane torch does good. use a socket and extension to hold them or stand them up in a pan of water. The lead pot has the advantage of better controlled heat.

Delkal
03-27-2024, 10:11 PM
a propane torch does good. use a socket and extension to hold them

This. Find the right sized deep well socket to where the case is sticking half way out and chuck in in a drill. Get the drill extension at harbor freight for a few dollars. Turn down the lights a little and hold the pinpoint flame in the middle of the neck while slowly spinning. Then count till you see the case just starting to turn color with a slight yellow flame around it. Then flick it into a tray full of water. For my torch it only takes 5 seconds for most cases. But once you come up with the correct distance from the flame and time keep it consistent.

Schreck5
03-27-2024, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys. I just waited a long time to get this new brass, and being expensive to boot, I sure don't want to ruin any more brass than I have to just during the learning curve.