PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle code reader advice

Hannibal
03-21-2024, 05:30 PM
I'd like some recommendations from members here on vehicle code readers. I've typically dealt with GM products but that won't always be the case necessarily. All I presently have is a very cheap/basic reader for the OBD/II system. I'm currently having a air bag system problem fault on an 07 Silverado and the reader I currently have isn't capable of reading such codes.
I don't need a high end reader and I'm a penny pincher, but I want something that can at least read air bag codes.
Any helpful suggestions based on personal experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Tatume
03-21-2024, 05:37 PM
Blue Driver is the best I've seen; works great!

https://us.bluedriver.com/pages/bluedriver

Tatume
03-21-2024, 05:46 PM
I just checked, and Bluedriver does not read airbag codes on the 2007 Silverado. Sorry.

Winger Ed.
03-21-2024, 06:12 PM
There are some codes only the dealership's reader can access.
You may have to have them troubleshoot it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2024, 06:22 PM
2 years ago, I wanted the next level up (from bottom) code reader, This one seemed to have best bang for the buck and lots of good reviews. $127, and it looks like there is currently a $12 off coupon.
Autel MaxiLink ML629 OBD2 Scanner, ABS SRS Engine Transmission Diagnostics Mechanic Full OBDII Code Reader Tool w/DTC Lookup AutoVIN, Live Data, Upgraded Ver. of AL619 AL629 for Professionals DIYers
I don't know if it will read airbag codes? EDIT: it does read SRS airbag codes
I do know it reads TPMS sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQL9HDR/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Hannibal
03-21-2024, 06:22 PM
There are some codes only the dealership's reader can access.
You may have to have them troubleshoot it.

I have read that code readers are available for airbag codes, however I am unsure about cost. I thought a small business owner or 2 might have some input.
Given my experience with vehicle repairs, I'm considering opening a business myself. Tired of repeated failures/returns. I work on locomotives as an electrician. People often don't follow a logical diagnosis process and often forget/ignore basics. It's astonishing. It's management driven. Quantity over quality.

But I've veered off on a tangent. Right now I'm simply interested in a decent code reader that can read air bag codes and cost estimates.

Tatume
03-21-2024, 07:04 PM
The Bluedriver will read air bag codes on many vehicles, but not all.

cwtebay
03-21-2024, 11:23 PM
Most of the publicly available code readers will default out if the issue (i.e. an airbag issue) is a life threatening issue.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

.429&H110
03-21-2024, 11:41 PM
I would have to go see what mine is is but I am a yankee it was cheap.

In Alaska your fuel canister freezes engine light comes on
So garage the tacoma, thaw it out, reset it.

If you have a dead battery the oxygen sensor goes below 2.8 volts
go ahead and change if you want to.

Go to the dealer it's gonna cost $1k and you will get new tires.

A good anal-yliser can tell more about a modern car, but it won't fix it
good luck with yours, I miss breaker point ignition.

BrassMagnet
03-23-2024, 11:22 AM
I just checked, and Bluedriver does not read airbag codes on the 2007 Silverado. Sorry.

I’m trying to find my Blue Driver!
Does it read Nissan Frontier air bag codes?

Tatume
03-23-2024, 11:35 AM
I’m trying to find my Blue Driver!
Does it read Nissan Frontier air bag codes?

Go to the link I provided and you can look it up. Click on Compatibility and fill the drop-down fields. If you had provided the year of your Nissan I would have looked it up for you.

Tatume
03-23-2024, 11:42 AM
I put in 2020 Nissan Frontier just out of curiosity, and yes, Bluedriver reads airbag codes.

Airbags YES
Airbags, restraints, passenger detection, and other associated systems.

firefly1957
03-27-2024, 06:08 AM
Not about good readers but my son's 2017 Equinox started doing something goofy it would not shift about 2nd gear or go over 20 MPH no codes wear stored but resetting codes let him get to 50 mph once then issue started all over .

The problem was a bad catalytic converter . The first shop reading the codes told him it was transmission second shop said right away that is common when the catalytic converter clogs up.

abunaitoo
03-27-2024, 03:32 PM
I think O'Reilly will check the codes for you free.
I think you can still get a flashing code without a reader, but it might have changed with the newer vehicles.
Try doing a web search on it.
If possible, I would get a scanner.
It has much more use than a code reader.

Recycled bullet
03-27-2024, 05:44 PM
Not about good readers but my son's 2017 Equinox started doing something goofy it would not shift about 2nd gear or go over 20 MPH no codes wear stored but resetting codes let him get to 50 mph once then issue started all over .

The problem was a bad catalytic converter . The first shop reading the codes told him it was transmission second shop said right away that is common when the catalytic converter clogs up.That is a really common misdiagnosis.