PDA

View Full Version : Is the "Chat Room" still a thing??

WILCO
03-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Went in there and the echo was wild. :)

Barry54
03-21-2024, 05:04 PM
That’s so 2000’s

brokeasajoke
03-21-2024, 08:13 PM
I've checked in from time to time and I'm always the only one there.

waksupi
03-22-2024, 12:44 PM
It used to be a downright busy place.

gwpercle
03-22-2024, 12:54 PM
I had never been to the Chat Room .
I just saw the icon and clicked on it ... got there easy but I was all by myself .
I'm not exactly sure how it works but it could be interesting ...
Gary

2TM101
03-22-2024, 01:44 PM
Discord replaced embedded chat like this. Its just still part of the software. If you look it says "Copyright 2008" on the bottom.

That having been said, an official discord for this site would not be a bad idea.

.429&H110
03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
I clicked in long ago and asked what the rules were.
Was emphatically told. Oh, well.

Murphy
03-23-2024, 03:09 PM
I check in there once in a blue moon, only to find it empty. I first logged into chat back on New Year's Day 2006. Man, what a hoot of a gang back then. The site was a much smaller group back then, I was member #1170. Of course as time went on, more and more people joined. As we grew, so did the chatroom. Then the 'Growing Pains' started. Differences of opinions turned into fights, which turned into some being banned...etc. I stopped going into chat because it just wasn't the same. We talked about pretty much any and everything, nothing too crass, more like a friendly bar. Heck, now and then we'd even talk about casting boolits. A lot of good friendships were made in the old chatroom. At one point, you could create a side chat room of sorts. If foul language offended someone, then they needed to stay out of the place.

I think the best way to get any chat going again, would be to ask if any of the others felt like a chat. Be sure to state a time zone for when you plan to be there, and hope for the best. It wouldn't hurt to try. I sure miss those old days.

Murphy

Good Cheer
03-23-2024, 05:12 PM
Good thoughts Murphy.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-23-2024, 06:22 PM
I've checked in a couple of times and found no one there. Referring to brother Murphy's post (above) this is a "no bad language at any time in any form" Forum, so those using the Chat Room to display their inventory of uncouth language could expect infractions. Is that unreasonable?

That having been said, I'd be happy to participate in any conversations I found interesting. This forum was started on the West Coast and runs on West Coast time, so when setting up a time to meet add one, two, or three hours depending on where you live. Or, conversely, if you live on the Biden Coast and wish to designate a time, subtract hours as appropriate.

DG

Hdskip
03-24-2024, 08:05 AM
As far as I can tell there were 4 regulars left until about 2 years ago. We were on early in the mornings. The biggest problem then was getting booted out of the room and having to reenter. Many requests were made to correct the issue with no results. The 4 of us decided to relocate to another chat format. We have stayed active on that format since. As I recall when I first joined the chat there were close to 100 regulars there at different times of the day. I still have my lis here somewhere. There was a lot of great conversations that occurred in the chat. Suffice to say I miss it.

WILCO
03-25-2024, 12:18 PM
Good thoughts Murphy.

Yes!!!!

brassrat
03-28-2024, 06:40 PM
Loneliest place on Earth

Murphy
03-28-2024, 10:54 PM
Loneliest place on Earth

Yes sir, that it is sad to say. But that's what censorship can, and has done to the old chatroom. Direct quotes from a John Wayne movie would be censored, along with Rhett Butlers farewell to Scarlett in Gone With The Wind. May as well burn the books the movies were based on while we're at it.

Murphy

gc45
03-29-2024, 12:54 AM
Never burn a book, real or otherwise.

poppy42
03-29-2024, 01:21 AM
So you mean I can go to the chat room and I’ll be the only one there? Good I prefer to talk to myself anyway. sometimes that’s the only way I can hold an intelligent conversation. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!

WILCO
03-29-2024, 11:41 AM
Never burn a book, real or otherwise.

Smart man. That made sense. :)

WILCO
03-29-2024, 11:42 AM
So you mean I can go to the chat room and I’ll be the only one there? Good I prefer to talk to myself anyway. sometimes that’s the only way I can hold an intelligent conversation. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!

Thanks for the laugh Poppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jdgabbard
03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Honestly, I didn't frequent the chat much. Haven't been on it in years. I'd probably join an official discord server if someone was interested in getting it together. Probably turn off notifications though, as that can be downright annoying on a phone...