PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on Contender (Pre Easy Open)

hylander
03-21-2024, 01:45 AM
Just seeing what you all think of the older Contenders, pre easy open.
Looking at one that comes with a super 14 30-30 barrel. I would rather have a 357 or 44 barrel.
But what is the concensus of the older ones, this a 1981

LeonardC
03-21-2024, 02:29 AM
I like mine. I sent it to T/C and had the "easy open" added.

M-Tecs
03-21-2024, 03:04 AM
I like mine. I sent it to T/C and had the "easy open" added.

Too bad that is no longer an option.

Nobade
03-21-2024, 03:14 AM
I have one frame like that, it does sometimes get a bit stuck and is hard to open but usually works fine. Everything else about it is the same as the later ones, so I'd say with what they are bringing these days if you can get it for a good price it's well worth having. I do wish the easy open conversion was still available though.

03-21-2024, 03:59 AM
If it's sound, grab it!

Czech_too
03-21-2024, 07:13 AM
Have both, pre & post, in the safe. Just being a 'pre' would not deter me from picking up another. If allowed, remove the grips and look for signs of surface rust.

dale2242
03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
All of my TC frames are G1.
Buy it.

racepres
03-21-2024, 08:19 AM
G1??? Actually no such thing, as the pre easy open is minumum of 2 ...tho some of us can identify 3 different variations...let alone the ones Factory Modified!!!
Anyway...IMO the very best Trigger in the Business came on the "triangle trigger" models...and yes they were pre easy open!
I would Not trade mine for Nuthin..
I wrote a rather long winded treaties on the Pre easy open Contender. I can dig it up for ya ...maybe a PM away.
BTW, a picture really helps in this decision making...and any Barrel is Excellent Trading Material.. Nothing to do with the Contender frame itself..A 14" 30-30 Contender Barrel, is one of the More Sought After! Can probably trade for about anything!!!

P Flados
03-21-2024, 10:50 AM
I have both original and easy open. I really do not note enough difference to matter.

If you want a 14", that 30-30 is one of the best choices to have. A big advantage of the 30-30 is the abundance of pressure tested load data. If you get the gun, I would hold on to the 30-30 (you know, just in case) and start looking for a 10".

TC made a lot of the 357 Mag barrels, but finding a good price on a used 357 Mag is not as easy as it used to be. A good number of these have been reamed to 357 Max (I do not recommend this for a 10"). My first gun came with a regular 10" octagon that I loved, but it got lost in a move. I eventually picked up a replacement that was an octagon external choke model (8-7/8" effective length with choke removed). It is one of the barrels I use the most. If you see either of the above or a 10" bull do not pass it up.

The 10" 44 Mag has a reputation of being pretty brutal for recoil with full power loads. Mid range loads are much more reasonable to shoot and with the 10" barrel your velocities should be pretty good.

I also have a 45 colt external choke model. If you want to shoot regular power levels, it can be fun. Like full power 44s, the Ruger / TC only loads in 45 colt are brutal and no fun at all.

Other really good choices for a 10" are most any straight wall handgun cartridge. Rounds such as 9mm, 45 acp and 32 H&R are less common but have the potential for being lots of fun if you stumble across one.

Barry54
03-21-2024, 11:13 AM
Don’t let the sun set on a good deal.
Get it!

Delkal
03-21-2024, 11:53 AM
The early receivers work with the one piece locking lug that sometimes give problems with the EZ open frames. I believe the split lugs work OK on the old frames.

A 14 inch 30-30 barrel is a good one to have for 100+ yard shooting (usually rested) but don't worry if that is not your first choice barrel. You will soon have 3-5 (or 10) barrels. :grin:

For me, one "must have" barrel is a 10 inch 7mm TCU and I shoot it more than any other barrel. Just run a 223 brass thru the sizing die load it with a moderately high charge and go shoot it to fireform the brass.

racepres
03-21-2024, 01:27 PM
The early receivers work with the one piece locking lug that sometimes give problems with the EZ open frames. I believe the split lugs work OK on the old frames.

A 14 inch 30-30 barrel is a good one to have for 100+ yard shooting (usually rested) but don't worry if that is not your first choice barrel. You will soon have 3-5 (or 10) barrels. :grin:

For me, one "must have" barrel is a 10 inch 7mm TCU and I shoot it more than any other barrel. Just run a 223 brass thru the sizing die load it with a moderately high charge and go shoot it to fireform the brass.

There is alot more to it than that!!!
The Earliest frames...pre triangle trigger, have a smaller hinge pin diameter...(the barrels do also...so If you find a barrel that has a smaller hinge hole...please let someone who owns a very early Frame Know) and the underlug of the barrel is "thinner". The earliest trigger guard is such that the thicker lug barrel absolutely will Not Open...if they shut... besides they bark the snot out of your Knuckle..
For trouble free operation...stick to the Last of the triangle trigger models...identified by the sliding rectangular safety/pin selector..Most any Barrel goes right on!!

So...That 1981...Buy It!!

charlie b
03-21-2024, 07:16 PM
I had the pre-easy one as well with 3 barrels. 14" .223, 14" .30Herrett and 10" .357. The Herrett got the most use and was very accurate, even with cast bullets. I never had a problem opening the barrel.

I lost interest in long range pistol shooting and sold the package.

marshall623
03-22-2024, 10:05 AM
As already mentioned, if in good condition and mechanically sound grab it ! 14" 30-30 will be hard to beat , a 22LR barrel is a fun option too .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MT Gianni
03-22-2024, 11:31 AM
I have a 14" 30-30 bbl and like it. I can shoot 90 gr 0.313: bullets at 25 yards or 150 gr jacketed at 200 yards. I have 4 frames, one is the old style and I have not had issues with it opening. I did however, milk by hand from ages 5-15 which might have affected my forearm strength.

stubshaft
03-25-2024, 07:29 PM
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. You just have to get used to opening them.

wcp4570
04-29-2024, 12:00 AM
I agree with what has already been said about the earlier model frames. I have frames that are easy open and pre easy open and I find that there is a little difference between the two but that is not a show stopper for buying another early frame. If you find yourself having a hard time opening any frame/barrel combination, here is what I do to open these hard to open guns. I'm right handed, with the gun in my right hand and applying pressure on the trigger guard that want open, with the heal of my left hand hit the right fingers while applying pressure. The frame will pop open easy using this technique on hard to open frame/barrel guns. Hope this helps.

wcp

JimB..
04-29-2024, 07:11 AM
I’m good with the non easy open frames.

I did recently see one for sale with a 30-30 barrel and thought it was overpriced, but that might just be my age and temperment.

racepres
04-29-2024, 08:58 AM
I agree with what has already been said about the earlier model frames. I have frames that are easy open and pre easy open and I find that there is a little difference between the two but that is not a show stopper for buying another early frame. If you find yourself having a hard time opening any frame/barrel combination, here is what I do to open these hard to open guns. I'm right handed, with the gun in my right hand and applying pressure on the trigger guard that want open, with the heal of my left hand hit the right fingers while applying pressure. The frame will pop open easy using this technique on hard to open frame/barrel guns. Hope this helps.

wcp
I have been hitting my "tang hand" on my knee since the early '70's...!!!

I did recently see one for sale with a 30-30 barrel and thought it was overpriced, but that might just be my age and temperment.
Probably...The Prices have certainly Not went Down!!!
I am constantly on the look for a Late, non-easy open, with the rectangular "safety", or, more properly, firing pin selector!

wcp4570
04-29-2024, 10:22 AM

I certainly agree about all Contender items have gotten to the point of being overpriced. It was not that long ago you could find barrels fairly regular for around the $250 mark. Same goes for most other guns and gun items. I have about every thing I want for my Contender except a custom 32H&R Mag carbine barrel with proper bore, but I refuse to pay close to $500 for one so i guess that will never happen.

wcp

gunther
04-29-2024, 07:46 PM
WCP: If some of the fellows who have had H&R shotguns redone into 32 caliber "woods loafing" guns would mention what their conversions cost, that $500 might seem more palatable. $500 is out of my range, too.

Delkal
04-29-2024, 08:27 PM
Unless you already reload for it there is no reason to have a 32 H&R in a contender. Just get a barrel in 30 Carbine and download it slightly. Or go all out with it and have some fun.

I agree TC / contender stuff is getting way too pricey and I can only shake my head at what used barrels go for on Ebay. Might as well buy a new barrel with exactly what you want for the same prices or cheaper.

MT Gianni
05-01-2024, 06:41 PM
As of today TC has a new owner who was a former owner. Plans are to have a full line open in 2025 made in USA.

racepres
05-01-2024, 09:01 PM
As of today TC has a new owner who was a former owner. Plans are to have a full line open in 2025 made in USA.

I saw that as well...Nice...But..I really do like the Pre-easy open frame with "triangle trigger".. if they bring that one Back...color me Excited!!
But...The supposed most useless barrel for a Contender...is about My Favorite..357 Magnum... can you say Versatile???

maddog13
05-05-2024, 10:58 AM
I shoot my Contender as a carbine and have several barrels for it. For my money the best and most versatile barrel/chambering is 30-30. I also reload with careful choices of components I can target shoot, hunt small game with reduced cast loads, or hunt deer/Black Bear etc with a jacketed bullet load. It's also a great chambering if you don't reload. Most any gun store has some 30-30 ammo for sale

wcp4570
05-05-2024, 04:58 PM
WCP: If some of the fellows who have had H&R shotguns redone into 32 caliber "woods loafing" guns would mention what their conversions cost, that $500 might seem more palatable. $500 is out of my range, too.

gunther
Your are probably right about how much it cost to have an H&R barrel made. I've been looking for a 32H&R carbine barrel for my Contender without success now for quiet awhile. My brother has one but I have not convinced him to turn it loose yet. I guess the hunt is part of the fun.

wcp