PDA

View Full Version : I think I am going to like it

Boerrancher
02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I had a new Tasco world class 3x9x40 laying around and got to thinking about my Marlin 1894 Carbine in 357mag. I quit packing it around years ago because the sights didn't work well with my slowly aging eyes. The sights on my Winchesters were a bit larger and easier for me to see. So, while sitting in my gun room looking at that new Tasco scope sitting there on table, and seeing that Marlin there in the rack, I grabbed them up and went to my parts drawers and found a set of Weaver bases and rings that would work. I mounted it up, adjusted the eye relief and headed out the door with a box of ammo,(cast boolits of course) the newly scoped rifle and a target. I set the target up at 50 yds and zeroed it about 3 inches high, just like I had the Iron sights. With that zero it is about an inch high at 100 yds and 3 in low at 150. That allows me to bust just about any 'yote or wild dog I can see around here harassing the livestock.

I think I am going to like the scope on the Marlin. That rifle was given to me by my fathers good friend and my mentor that passed just before I left for Afghanistan. Shooting that rifle again brought back memories from when I was a 7 to 15 year old kid, and was like meeting an old long lost friend. That Marlin and I walked many a mile of fence line, and killed hundreds of 'yotes with that little rifle. I may have to leave the 92 winnie at home more and start packing the Marlin once again.

I was just so excited that I could once again accurately shoot my Marlin again that I had to share it with everyone. I just hope the Chinese Tasco holds up. I hear they aren't what they use to be.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe

acemedic13
02-19-2009, 09:12 PM
xxxxx

TCFAN
02-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Joe

What is your load that you are using in that Marlin?

I bought one last summer after looking all over for one. Finally found a new one in MT. Home Ark.

I put a scope on mine for load development but did not like the way it carried. So I ended up putting on a Lyman tang sight and a 17-A on the front. This works real well for my eyes and the little marlin is a lot easer to carry..................Terry

hyoder
02-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Such blasphemy - putting glass sights on a lever gun. And at such a young age. Lever guns require iron sights - older eyes use receiver sights or tang sights.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll311/hhyoder/2LARIFLES.jpg

45&30-30
02-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Good deal Joe, glad you found a solution to keep her in the field. :drinks: I learned this hunting season that I needed a scope on my lever for those early mornings, late evenings and shady spots that don't have the contrast like they used to. I had to many of the 'one that got away' stories.[smilie=1:

Nice guns, hyoder. :mrgreen:

Boerrancher
02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Such blasphemy - putting glass sights on a lever gun. And at such a young age. Lever guns require iron sights - older eyes use receiver sights or tang sights.

I reserve the tang sights for those rifles like the old Winchesters that were never made for glass. I use to not believe that glass belonged on a Lever gun unless it was a 99 Savage. Now that I have gotten older and started wearing glasses, I have changed my thinking slightly. I hate the way most lever guns carry when they have scopes mounted on them, but that Tasco and Marlin combination is not as bad as I though it would be. Nice Guns BTW Hyoder.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Jon K
02-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Joe,

That's what Tang sights were designed for.........To be able to see, what is a blur.

Jon

jlchucker
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Very nice guns, Hyoder.

Boerrancher
02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Joe

What is your load that you are using in that Marlin?

Terry,

I don't remember off hand now but it is what ever the Max load of unique is for the 357mag behind a 158gr SWC. If I am in a hurry and just want some target loads, I grab the Bullseye and a dipper I made from a fired 22LR, and a bread tie. I don't know what the weight is but it shoots quite well. I am guessing it is about 3 to 3.5 grains. I can load a bunch of 357's or 38's in a hurry using the home made dipper, bullseye and 158 gr SWC's. Those are my two pet loads. I have a tool that makes gas checks out of 5 thousandths stock for plain based boolits, since most 357 boolits are plain based. I am going to this summer start experimenting with a 145 gr plain based HP mould I have, by putting gas checks on it, and using small rifle primers, just to see what kind of velocities I can get out of that little marlin. I have run max loads out of it of 2400 with that HP boolit and gas checks, but was not overly impressed with the accuracy. As soon as the weather breaks now that I have sights that I can see on it, I will be playing with it a bit more.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Slinger
02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
As far as glass, I've got an old Weaver 1.5- 4.5x variable, straight tube (28mm?) on my 44 mag. Carries nice and gives enough magnification for shots out to 150 yds. or so. I'm 59 with aging eyes and it helped me out. It has a fine crosshair in it, which also helps as it doesn't cover up alot of the target like the duplex reticle.