PDA

View Full Version : First cast

cervelorod
03-17-2024, 05:14 PM
Left is first ever bullet drop from one of my molds and then ones on the right is the end of my first casting session. Was somewhat easier than I was expecting and I had to go slower than I initially expected to. Left is .309-200 and right is .429-200. 300 blackout and 44 magnum wheel gun. Now on to the 250# of lead ingots I make on Friday.324701

Winger Ed.
03-17-2024, 05:52 PM
Cool.

It's like riding a motorcycle or flying a airplane--- the more ya do it, the better you'll get.

Delkal
03-17-2024, 05:58 PM
Great first casing session. Long skinny bullets can be a challenge to fill but it looks like your lube grooves are well formed. Those are shootable bullets.

There are a few wrinkles to work on next time so make sure your molds are thoroughly degreased and give them a good smoke. You also might want to try increasing the heat a little. I like to cast my rifle bullets hot. With pistols and offhand shooting a small wrinkle will not make a difference.

Walter Laich
03-17-2024, 07:13 PM
I am now giving my molds a coat of mold release before each session--usually 18 lb--run the original Pro-Melt down below the PID sensor each time.

they say to bake it in but it takes all of 2 minutes and because the is acetone in it, dries in seconds

It lets the bullets drop out

something to think about down the trail (no associated other than a happy camper with it)

https://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/mold-release/

gwpercle
03-18-2024, 05:42 PM
Very Nice !

Congratulations !!!

Drinks are on me :drinks:

Gary

white eagle
03-18-2024, 06:14 PM
and so it begins
I remember I started out much the same way
be carefull it's fun and addicting
enjoy

Winger Ed.
03-18-2024, 06:31 PM
It is an addiction.
Try to keep a low profile around the family.
We don't want to see you being dragged into a room kicking and screaming on one of those interdiction TV shows.

Kennibear
03-19-2024, 11:38 AM
+1 on the higher casting temperature. Also pre-heat the mold. Sometimes a mold will be very finicky on pour rate so try faster and slower rates. One of my iron molds takes a good 100 bullets to heat up so I count on pre-heating that lump of iron. Small cavity and big lump syndrome.
Also try adding a small amount of tin. It can help cast at a lower melt temperature. I have no problem casting @ 900°F. And my hard alloy into the 00 buck mold takes that. I believe it is because the feed stock holes between pellets is so darn small.

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

John Guedry
03-22-2024, 11:18 AM
You've gotten the "hang of it" a whole lot quicker than I ever did. Nice work.