PDA

View Full Version : 25 ACP reloading blues

rintinglen
03-17-2024, 10:00 AM
It has been over 40 years since I last loaded any 25 ACP. I am rediscovering why. Those dinky cases are a major pain to handle, all slick and shiny from the brass cleaner. Can you bend and scrabble after the ones you drop? Oh joy! 70 year old back Yikes ,and weighing each charge, 1.3 grains of WW231, at a time? That's the key to rapid loading. I got 60 rounds done in only 2 hours Thursday.

challenger_i
03-17-2024, 10:26 AM
Light charges are ALWAYS fun! After fiddling with several methods, I finally returned to the trick I learned from my Dad of using a bowl of powder, a baby spoon and a scale. I am really proud they developed the digital scale, as this really does speed up the process!

Chill Wills
03-17-2024, 11:32 AM
I have a Colt 25 ACP. I have dies and a mold. 15 or 20 years, I have not even started to reload the empties.
Feel free to pass along any tips to load the littlest semi-auto.

jdfoxinc
03-17-2024, 11:37 AM
Get a reacher to pick up dropped brass and boolets. Saves my 69 yr old back.

Bigslug
03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
You know. . .they make mouse traps for mice. We don't have to shoot them anymore. :kidding:

I've gone through similar thoughts with a .22 K-Hornet. Definitely an educational project, but it left me considering the following thought from Philosopher George Santayana:

"Fanaticism consists of redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim."

This stuff is supposed to be fun, after all. In a number of ways, the dinky rounds aren't.

Markopolo
03-17-2024, 12:05 PM
25 acp is the only cal I have actually given up on in my decades of reloading and casting. Small, tedious, and even more challenging then casting for the 223. I sold my dies, the gun, and the mold.

Just not worth the trouble for me… I would wish you luck in your journey.

Shawlerbrook
03-17-2024, 12:10 PM
380acp only a little better. Thinking about jumping in as it’s the only one I shoot that I currently don’t reload.

Bigslug
03-17-2024, 12:23 PM
380acp only a little better. Thinking about jumping in as it’s the only one I shoot that I currently don’t reload.

With the world shifting to 9mm as "The Standard", production numbers of everything else seem to be decreasing, which is only going to drive the per-round cost up. Given that the .32 and .380 still have a place by being chambered in small guns that don't beat you up, I don't think they're THAT much harder to generate ammo for - at least on a progressive press. Single stage? Mmmmmaybe not.

SOFMatchstaff
03-17-2024, 12:33 PM
I have loaded the 25acp on the Dillon 450 using a Lyman 55 measure with no issues. The 55 is the only measure that I can get a consistent 1 to 2 gr drop from. The shell plate is of my own manuf. and was made for the 5.7 originally. I dont load a lot of them(25s) but I know I can when I have to.....

Wayne Smith
03-17-2024, 01:25 PM
I have a Pacific Pistol Powder measure - and uses 1/2" brass pieces 1/2" long. I drill a through hole for whatever load I need. To add just a touch add a chamfer to the hole. I have one for 1gr BE and one for 1.2gr BE. I use these for these for the 32 S&W.

shooting on a shoestring
03-17-2024, 08:50 PM
I’ll admit to owning two 25 acp pistols.

I’ve considered setting up to cast and load for them, but decided to draw the line at 32 acp. So I bought a couple of boxes of factory 25 acp, fired the guns a wee bit and called it good.

I’ll be content to be an owner and not a shooter of 25 acp’s. If I need to do a “little” shooting, I’ll use a 32 acp or 32 SWL and live happily ever after.

Good luck to you.

georgerkahn
03-17-2024, 09:09 PM
It has been over 40 years since I last loaded any 25 ACP. I am rediscovering why. Those dinky cases are a major pain to handle, all slick and shiny from the brass cleaner. Can you bend and scrabble after the ones you drop? Oh joy! 70 year old back Yikes ,and weighing each charge, 1.3 grains of WW231, at a time? That's the key to rapid loading. I got 60 rounds done in only 2 hours Thursday.

30 rounds per hour is not too bad... might be quicker than it takes me! A couple of years ago I took 1/8"or so -- doesn't sound like much but I still have the scar! -- from the side of my index finger and then decided there has to be a better way! From a mail-order outfit called Micro-Mark I ordered and received a true God-send for .25acp and .380acp loading -- a set of round-holding tweezers. Actually, there's four sizes in the set one gets if they purchase it. 324709 While these have not made loading these teeny calibres a joy ;) -- they sure are, imho, worth more than every penny spent to attenuate dropping the cases as well as pinching or cutting the fingers!
geo

GhostHawk
03-17-2024, 09:29 PM
I have yet to get into the .25acp, but the .32sw long is not much bigger.

If I am loading 100 rounds I do use my powder measure set to 2 grains of Red Dot for charging. But dropping cases is to be avoided at all costs.

P Flados
03-17-2024, 09:44 PM
I like the idea of loading small stuff.

I tried 32 S&W (a.k.a. short) and found them just "too small" for running through a single stage style press.

I moved up to 32 ACP size and found it was ok.

I do not have a 25 ACP. I am not sure if it would be ok based on length or not.

My RCBS uniflow is ok at 1.5 gr or so of ball powder. I am sure the % variance is on the high side but the loaded ammo does not seem to have issues with vertical spread so I am happy.

Texas by God
03-17-2024, 10:33 PM
The smallest I’ve loaded for is .32 automatic.
I like shooting .25 autos but I don’t have one yet. I’m holding out for a Beretta at a bargain price[emoji41]
I think that a Lee Loader would work well-but I doubt that they are offered in .25 acp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

challenger_i
03-17-2024, 11:15 PM
I have wanted to try that for years. You have inspired me to hunt up some bronze round stock and get to making chips!
Question, Wayne: what are your thoughts on using a taper reamer to bore the hole for regulating the charge volume?

I have a Pacific Pistol Powder measure - and uses 1/2" brass pieces 1/2" long. I drill a through hole for whatever load I need. To add just a touch add a chamfer to the hole. I have one for 1gr BE and one for 1.2gr BE. I use these for these for the 32 S&W.

Kestrel4k
03-18-2024, 12:35 AM
Posting just to make note of round-holding tweezers; I did not know of these, and when I am back on my main computer, I will shop for them. Thank you,

Rapidrob
03-18-2024, 12:47 AM
I reload the .25 ACP cartridge a lot. I use a Dillon 450 progressive press and a RCBS Little Dandy rotor powder measure with proper rotor for the light loads of Bullseye, Unique or 231. I use a Lyman case mouth belling die to aid in seating / aligning the 50 grain bullets. The Dillon press is manual for indexing, priming and powder drop so you have complete control of each stroke of the handle. Once the press is set up and the primer tube is filled, 200-250 rounds an hour can be done depending if the bullets are loose in a lid to a coffee can or laying out on a ribbed rubber mat for easy pick up.
Empty cases on the right, bullets on the left of the press.
I've found this press is perfect for the smaller calibers such as the .25ACP, .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32NAA that my wife and I shoot.
I find the hardest thing about the .25 ACP is trying to find the fired empty cases in a range floor filled with .22LR fired cases!
I really got to make a brass catcher that works well.

challenger_i
03-18-2024, 01:07 AM
When I started shooting 9x20BL, I took to laying out a tarp to my right to help catch the brass. Worked very well.

Thin Man
03-18-2024, 08:41 AM
Several years ago a friend (?) gifted me with a new set of .25 ACP RCBS dies and shell holder. Some friend! This got me started looking to find a mold and wound up using an Ideal Perfection mold set to cast 50 grain boolits. Needed a sizer/lube die, opened up a .243 sizer to .251", works nicely to reduce .257" boolits to .251" boolits.. Cast and sized about 200 boolits, loaded some and saved some. Loading the cases is tricky but can be managed with patience. Why all this you ask? Just because I wanted to prove to myself I could do it. Perhaps I need to quit taking on these challenges to my usual boredom.

Brassmonkey
03-18-2024, 09:35 AM
I too am a glutton for punishment.

https://imgur.com/a/PvwKesy

Did these all single stage. 1.1 gr 231 48gr cast hp hi tek kryptonite green.

Rapidrob
03-18-2024, 10:11 AM
I too cast the little bullets. I spend more time culling the poorly cast bullets than reloading them!

Soundguy
03-18-2024, 11:08 AM
I reload them.. but with jackete projectiles.. have yet to ever find a mold and sizer..or I'd load cast...

WRideout
03-18-2024, 03:48 PM
Hi, my name is Wayne and I reload 25 Auto. Some time ago a friend, now deceased, sold me his Armi Galesi pistol that had no grips. It is a memento; I'll never sell it. After making a set of grips from some scrap walnut, I set about making cast boolit loads for it. I acquired a mold (Lyman 252435) off the S&S section and Carbide dies from Lee. I load the boolits as cast with tumble lube. At the time I still had a can of Unique. The dipper that came with the dies drops 1.4 gr of Unique which is all I have ever used in that load. My biggest difficulty was making loading blocks with tiny holes so the cases didn't fall over.

I lose a couple of cases every time I take it to the range, but I have managed to convince the family that Santa should bring me some Starline brass every year. 25 Auto is easily one of the easiest and most trouble free handloads that I make.

Wayne

Kestrel4k
03-18-2024, 05:17 PM
30 rounds per hour is not too bad... might be quicker than it takes me! A couple of years ago I took 1/8"or so -- doesn't sound like much but I still have the scar! -- from the side of my index finger and then decided there has to be a better way! From a mail-order outfit called Micro-Mark I ordered and received a true God-send for .25acp and .380acp loading -- a set of round-holding tweezers. Actually, there's four sizes in the set one gets if they purchase it. 324709 While these have not made loading these teeny calibres a joy ;) -- they sure are, imho, worth more than every penny spent to attenuate dropping the cases as well as pinching or cutting the fingers!
geo

Here they are, in case anybody is interested; despite one review, they looks like a decent bet to me, for $15.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2CKBW4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3PIDA2F9YVEUW&psc=1

rintinglen
03-18-2024, 06:20 PM
Back around 1981, a buddy of mine wanted to reload 25 auto's for his wife's Home Defense gun. (It is small, she can handle it...) He had helped me with some motorcycle repairs so I said, "Sure, come on over Saturday afternoon and I'll show you how." I was much more limber then and could bend a lot easier. My eyesight was a bit keener, and my hands did not falter, yet still I had issues with those tiny cases. I frequently reload 32 ACP, as well as 380's but those cases are massive compared to these.

But some of these comments have given me some ideas. I could fairly easily make a dipper, perhaps out of a 22 short case, a piece of wire and some solder. That would help things a bit and those nifty tweezers George depicted would also help. I sold my old Little Dandy or that might be the bees knees.

FergusonTO35
03-19-2024, 08:44 AM
Aguila Interceptor 40 grain have more punch than typical .25 Auto rounds and cost 1/4 as much. To reload anything centerfire you're spending 10 cents each just on primers so you're already more than halfway there. My Ruger LCP II is centerfire reliable with them and Interceptors clock an actual 1000 fps out of it. For a centerfire pocket rocket my Kel-Tec P32 gets the nod.

rintinglen
03-19-2024, 10:18 AM
How well do the Aguila Interceptors feed in a Colt 1908?:kidding:

I'm loading to shoot guns that I no longer or have never carried. For small EDC I use a 380, either an LCP or a Kahr p380. The reason I reload is for funsies, I gave up on the saving aspect a long time ago. (I was saving so much money on the purchase of new presses, dies, components, why I am nearly a millionaire now--If I convert my holdings into Lebanese Pounds.)

Dancing Bear
03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
I reload 25acp but don't shoot it much. About 20 some years ago I got a whole sleeve of XTP's for a close out price and am still working off of that stock. Yes it's a little slower reloading these but still manageable.

georgerkahn
03-19-2024, 12:35 PM
I’ll admit to owning two 25 acp pistols.

I’ve considered setting up to cast and load for them, but decided to draw the line at 32 acp. So I bought a couple of boxes of factory 25 acp, fired the guns a wee bit and called it good.

I’ll be content to be an owner and not a shooter of 25 acp’s. If I need to do a “little” shooting, I’ll use a 32 acp or 32 SWL and live happily ever after.

Good luck to you.

I also have two .25ACP pistols; and, like you (I needed do this when I got my XP100 in .221 Fireball) purchase "factory" just to get the brass for reloading. At a LGS trip a couple of months back I put a box of factory .25ACP on the counter -- it was "50% off - reduced!" and reckoned it was doable, primarily for the brass. However -- the shop owner asked if I really wanted it -- as it is Berdan primed? I thanked him and returned it (Hornady brand) to bargain basket!
Just a heads up if one might be seeking brass to easily reload... I never looked for primer type...
geo

Kestrel4k
03-19-2024, 03:05 PM
Wow Berdan-primed Hornady 25ACP; good to know to keep an eye out for.

FergusonTO35
03-19-2024, 03:31 PM
How well do the Aguila Interceptors feed in a Colt 1908?:kidding:

I'm loading to shoot guns that I no longer or have never carried. For small EDC I use a 380, either an LCP or a Kahr p380. The reason I reload is for funsies, I gave up on the saving aspect a long time ago. (I was saving so much money on the purchase of new presses, dies, components, why I am nearly a millionaire now--If I convert my holdings into Lebanese Pounds.)

I totally get it, I reload .32 Auto.

gwpercle
03-19-2024, 04:30 PM
Back around 1981, a buddy of mine wanted to reload 25 auto's for his wife's Home Defense gun. (It is small, she can handle it...) He had helped me with some motorcycle repairs so I said, "Sure, come on over Saturday afternoon and I'll show you how." I was much more limber then and could bend a lot easier. My eyesight was a bit keener, and my hands did not falter, yet still I had issues with those tiny cases. I frequently reload 32 ACP, as well as 380's but those cases are massive compared to these.

But some of these comments have given me some ideas. I could fairly easily make a dipper, perhaps out of a 22 short case, a piece of wire and some solder. That would help things a bit and those nifty tweezers George depicted would also help. I sold my old Little Dandy or that might be the bees knees.

A dipper I made with a 22 Short case will dip ... about 2.5 grs. Bullseye
and about 2.8 grs. Tite Group.
This will give you some idea of what a 22 short case holds .

My dipping method is to place powder in a coffee cup , dip up a heaping scoop of powder , settle by tapping the scoop handle on the edge of the powder cup , after powder is settled in scoop , scoop up another heaping dipper full and level scoop top with a business card ... then weigh powder ...
After you get the powder charge set and weight determined ... I don't weigh every charge ... just dip and pour into cases .
I have no idea what you can use as a loading block ... 25's are sooooo tiny !
Gary

shooting on a shoestring
03-19-2024, 06:31 PM
Gee I’m starting to feel like a whimp for not stepping up and loading 25 acp……

shooting on a shoestring
03-19-2024, 06:34 PM
This thread needs some pistol pics.
Here’s one.

rintinglen
03-19-2024, 06:44 PM
I have one like that, but no box. It is one of the reasons I have been grumbling and fumbling down in the man cave with these dinky little ornaments. I was going through the safe and found that I have no less than 4 of these varmint guns, a Colt 1908 (the only one I've carried as a CCW), A baby Browning like the above, a Beretta 21 that I had totally forgotten, and my Armi Galesi leprechaun shooter. I'll have to get a pic posted.

jimb16
03-19-2024, 08:13 PM
I've got a nice little Colt .25 auto and like the rest of you insane people, I reload for it too. I've found that I always reload with Bullseye so I made a dipper out of a .22 rf case trimming it to hold 1.2 grs. I trim the case to the proper length then solder it to a cotter key for a handle. For a loading block, I use one of those silicon mini ice cube trays that we use for powder coating .30 cast bullets. They are just about perfect depth and size. I load both jacketed and 50 gr. cast on a single stage and can produce 100 to 150 rounds per hour depending on how I feel that day. At 75 years of age, some days are a lot slower than others. I also keep a big soft blanket on the floor in front of the press when loading those tiny cases, so when I drop one, it just goes plop and doesn't run and hide under the loading bench or scoot in the other direction to the other side of the room! I reload 28 different calibers and gauges and cast for all of them, including making my own shot. I couldn't afford to do that much shooting if I didn't reload everything myself. The ONLY thing I don't reload is the .22rf. I don't know why not, but I just haven't gotten into that one.....YET!

charlie b
03-19-2024, 11:18 PM
I used to reload for the .32acp. A 1903 was one of my favorite guns to shoot and it was more accurate than most of my pistols. Over time I just got tired of picking up the little cases. I tried the tarp idea but we have too much wind and it would balloon (even staked down) and scatter the brass anyway. I finally sold it cause I didn't shoot it much just for that reason.

PS reloading it was a breeze, but, some case rims did not fit in the shell holder.

quack1
03-20-2024, 08:03 AM
Wow Berdan-primed Hornady 25ACP; good to know to keep an eye out for.

My most disappointing time brass scrounging at the range was the day I found a big hand full of 25ACP in the brass bucket. Saw the Hornady headstamp on the first one I picked up so never looked inside. Later, when resizing them, the first one stopped before going completely into the die. Figured there was something in the case and was surprised when I saw two flash holes looking back at me.

Texas by God
03-20-2024, 10:15 AM
I had a Galesi .25 and the little thing was easy to roll cans with- very accurate. I’d still have it but the firing pin hole in the slide developed a split where the steel was thin. I sold it for parts at a gun show to a man that had two Galesis.
Even the lowly Raven .25 shoots well in my experience. I killed a squirrel with one to shut my brother in law up when he claimed that “Those are useless.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
03-20-2024, 11:33 AM
If I found a pearl grips Bauer in good shape I would buy it for the wife.

WRideout
03-21-2024, 09:21 AM
Here is my setup; Armi Galesi with homemade grips, and also homemade loading block. Cast boolits, of course.

I really like the little Galesi, but I have read elsewhere that they commonly have a problem with non-functional safety, which is true of mine. It hasn't been a big problem since I only shoot it at the range. A bigger problem for me is the lack of last round slide lock, but I just choose to live with that.

BTW: legally one may only use a discarded coffee cup for dipping powder charges.
Wayne

rintinglen
03-21-2024, 11:12 AM
If I found a pearl grips Bauer in good shape I would buy it for the wife.

Save your money for a Baby Browning: the Bauer copies were very problematic. Back in 1979, the Gun shop I was working at quit carrying them due to the high return rate and poor customer service. My own example was not reliable and kept losing the trigger. The early guns with the black plastic grips were particularly suspect, though I am told that the faux pearl handled ones made later were better.

The name later changed to Fraser Arms. There's a lot of info floating around on the internet, but I take much of it with a grain of salt. Much of it boils down to "Mine-worked-great-in-the-half-box-of-shooting-I-did-with-it." The later PSA guns aren't bad, so I am told, but I have no hands on with them. They are darned expensive for a vest pocket, 25 ACP pistol.

FergusonTO35
03-21-2024, 12:34 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the info. The PSA's are reportedly as good as FN and in fact FN considers them to be the current OEM for the Baby Browning.

35remington
03-25-2024, 06:50 PM
Dang. The Baby makes everything look huge, even the original LCP. A one and a half finger grip below the trigger guard will do that.

FergusonTO35
03-26-2024, 10:19 AM
Strangely, I can shoot a tiny handgun as good or better than a fullsize even though I have large hands. I guess it makes sense, given I practice with my CCW guns more than the range guns.