PDA

View Full Version : Judge Help

Half Dog
03-14-2024, 07:43 PM
I have a family member who is looking into purchasing a Taurus Judge. I occasionally shoot 410 on the skeet range and I have a press that is set up to load 2-1/2” hulls. Those two statements seem to be the limit of my knowledge and I’m hoping that I can reload rounds for the Judge.

Is there issues with the cylinder to barrel gap? My concern is the wad and some deformed shot wedging in the gap.

Would a Judge, rated for magnums, have issues shooting a 2-1/2” shell vs the 3” shell? Again I have trouble picturing the wad making a smooth transition across the cylinder to barrel gap.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

AnthonyB
03-14-2024, 08:27 PM
Can't help with the question, but can't resist the advice to tell them not to do it!
Tony

Der Gebirgsjager
03-14-2024, 08:47 PM
If it will shoot factory loaded .410s there's no reason it shouldn't handle your loads if they conform to the common reloading manual data.

DG

cwtebay
03-14-2024, 10:10 PM
I purchased a Judge for my wife almost 20 years ago. 45's?? Not awful accuracy. 410??? Try throwing the loaded shells at the intended target rather than firing them. I asked Taurus to address this years ago, heard back that accuracy with shotgun ammunition cannot be guaranteed.
(She still carries it - with 45's)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Texas by God
03-15-2024, 12:14 AM
They are safe with .410 ammunition, but they are a very sorry excuse for a shotgun in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
03-15-2024, 07:26 AM
They are neither fish, nor fowl, nor good red meat.

They are a compromise, a contradiction in terms.

Take the advise given above, advise strongly against it.

Half Dog
03-15-2024, 09:25 AM
Ok. Based on opinions, the Judge is not the handgun for him.
Any suggestions for a light, small, home defense for someone with shaky hands?

HWooldridge
03-15-2024, 09:56 AM

Small 9mm or a .380 would not be a bad choice for someone who carries more than shoots.

Barry54
03-15-2024, 10:05 AM
Get him a Boxer. They are loyal and protective. Plus they aren’t prohibited by most homeowners insurance policies.

My experience is with a S&W Governor. It is surprisingly accurate with 45 Colt loads considering the jump to reach rifling. It’s six rounds instead of five. Plus it accepts 45 ACP with moon clips. Tritium front site too.

410 buckshot from it is a potent load. More energy than 357 magnum!
Several factory 410 self defense loads are out there to pick from.

In the ballistic products small bore manual there are single, double, and triple pellet 410 2-1/2” buckshot recipes.

Thumbcocker
03-15-2024, 10:31 AM

If the firearm in question is to be used solely for home defense, does it have to be a handgun? How much time does the person want to put in to gain skills with the gun? Do they have physical limitations? What type of area do they live in? If the only thing between them and the next residence is sheet rock and 2x4 walls that would be a factor.

A personal example. Many years ago my job took me out at night for long periods of time. We lived in a rural area. Mrs.Thumbcocker felt quite comfortable with a .30 carbine loaded with soft points. She could shoot it very well out to 50 yards. Very little recoil and high magazine capacity. Today something like a Ruger 9mm carbine might be the ticket for someone with limited handgun skills and not having the time or ability to become proficient with a handgun. I would suggest having the person in question examine and handle different guns and if possible shoot several that they show an interest in. Not trying to dictate what the person should get, just offering some suggestions based on experience.

kaiser
03-15-2024, 10:49 AM
The Judge is a compromise for a "snake gun" or a defense weapon, but will suffice (marginally) for either. The "riflings" tends to destroy the shotgun shell pattern of the gun beyond 7 yards; and the size and weight of the pistol makes it unwieldy for people with small hands. It's at its best as a "truck gun" where size and weight does not matter with ammo to cover "all" situations IMHO.

txbirdman
03-15-2024, 11:21 AM
I have a 45 Colt Bond arms derringer which can shoot 2 1/2” .410’s also. I have found it to pattern much better with conventional CCI 45 Colt snake shot.

Half Dog
03-15-2024, 02:48 PM
These posts are great input. To further explain:
Home defense to be kept next to the bed.
The person is older and can’t hold steady to aim.
Dogs are out. In their eyes, animals belong outside.
A shotgun or AR style isn’t wanted.

I thought a Judge would fit the Bill but it seems it has issues.

cwtebay
03-15-2024, 02:59 PM
These posts are great input. To further explain:
Home defense to be kept next to the bed.
The person is older and can’t hold steady to aim.
Dogs are out. In their eyes, animals belong outside.
A shotgun or AR style isn’t wanted.

I thought a Judge would fit the Bill but it seems it has issues.Maybe a Mossberg Shockwave? Little bit of a learning curve to shoot, but compact and effective.
One more comment about the Judge - it actually does shoot the disc type self defense ammunition fairly well at under 10 yards. They still scatter like crazy compared to a smooth bore, but it's not awful.

racepres
03-15-2024, 04:30 PM
IDK, I would test fire that Judge..We aint target shooting here.. My Only experience with .410, is Long Guns...and my Contender...Now...thinking of a short Contender with a Revolving Cylinder... May just be Fun!!!
The Thought of the 45 Colt /CCI shot capsule seems like a good one too...so any 45 will do!!!!
If you can find them empty capsules...I had a Friend who got Very Creative with "stuff" to put in them Capsules!!!

Winger Ed.
03-15-2024, 04:46 PM
Ya might like using the Hornady self defense .410s in it.
They're made for these short barrel hanguns. The recoil is on par with cast in a mid range .45Colt.
They have two OOO buckshot balls with a thin jacketed .357, 110gr. JHP sitting on top.

Out of my Bond Derringer, they print a 7-8" triangle pattern at about 25 feet or so.

Half Dog
03-15-2024, 04:59 PM
Ya might like using the Hornady self defense .410s in it.
They're made for these short barrel hanguns. The recoil is on par with cast in a mid range .45Colt.
They have two OOO buckshot balls with a thin jacketed .357, 110gr. JHP sitting on top.

Out of my Bond Derringer, they print a 7-8" triangle pattern at about 25 feet or so.

Hmm. This sounds interesting. I have some 110 gr JHP’s. Have you duplicated the rounds?

Winger Ed.
03-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Hmm. This sounds interesting. I have some 110 gr JHP’s. Have you duplicated the rounds?

Nah. No more than I shoot it, I just gave 'em their money for a box.
For practice & such, I load a mid range cast SWC in .45 Long Colt.

Loading .410 for a handgun would get me out into uncharted waters.
All the published info. and the other factory stuff is for long barreled shotguns anyway.

stubshaft
03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Even with a steady hand I do not think the Judge would be able to hit the intended target.

SSGOldfart
03-15-2024, 06:13 PM
you can very easily make your own 410's using 444marlin shells no press needed. a few wads and your in business
my buddy's wife carries a Judge she just points a shoots,it was made for close quarters.:oops:

Half Dog
03-15-2024, 06:26 PM
you can very easily make your own 410's using 444marlin shells no press needed. a few wads and your in business
my buddy's wife carries a Judge she just points a shoots,it was made for close quarters.:oops:

That’s exactly what I think I need, very close quarters. Can you suggest where I can find reloading information for a 410 handgun?

SSGOldfart
03-15-2024, 06:59 PM
That’s exactly what I think I need, very close quarters. Can you suggest where I can find reloading information for a 410 handgun?

lyman "shotshell reloading handbook" 5th edition. you-tube has many video's on making 410, but I would only use approved data myself. humm 303 brass can also be used as can a few others.

For his wife's judge I just loaded a few dozen shotshells with fiberwads and a over shot card added a few drops of glue to seal the case. works great I'm now making a few for my contender and a Topper 410.:-P

Texas by God
03-15-2024, 08:18 PM
A compact .22 LR semi automatic rifle is easy for most anyone to operate and effectively shoot.

HWooldridge
03-15-2024, 08:25 PM
A compact .22 LR semi automatic rifle is easy for most anyone to operate and effectively shoot.

Agreed - I would not feel under gunned with my Ruger Mk 1 .22 and a full clip. It points well and 10 rounds of Stingers is nothing to sneeze at.

Buzz Krumhunger
03-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Anybody who uses a Taurus Judge for self defense with conventional shotshells really ought to shoot a few at a big sheet of cardboard at whatever distance they think they’re going to be using it. The .410 doesn’t hold much shot and the rifled barrel blows the pattern pretty quickly.

The buckshot and disc loads are another matter. But they’ll still need to be able to aim and hold steady to hit anything.

Agree that a 10-22 or similar would be a better choice.

Iron369
03-15-2024, 08:52 PM
If he’s looking at 22lr, maybe a ruger charger would fit the bill.

35remington
03-15-2024, 10:12 PM
Frail and unsteady makes me wonder whether a large noisy fairly hard recoiling handgun is the way to go.

Have you taken this person out shooting to see what They!!! handle well first? It beats speculation and regretful firearm purchases.

elmacgyver0
03-15-2024, 10:23 PM
Frail and unsteady makes me wonder whether a large noisy fairly hard recoiling handgun is the way to go.

Have you taken this person out shooting to see what They!!! handle well first? It beats speculation and regretful firearm purchases.

I like my little Beretta Model 71 Mossad assassination pistol with a .22 LR Banish Silencer.
It does get some curious looks at the range.

Delkal
03-15-2024, 10:28 PM

This. Take them out and let them shoot a 9mm. If that intimidates them I would forget about a Judge. A full sized .38 revolver would be a better choice since the recoil is milder and all you have to do is pick it up and pull the trigger.

A compact rifle like a 10/22 would also be a good option. Even if you are old and frail it would be hard to miss a man sized target at 20 feet. Just tell him to keep shooting.

AR's can have a lot of muzzle blast and can me too much for indoors so how about one of the pistol caliber carbines in 9mm? Or even a vintage 30 carbine. These rifles are light so even kids and petite women are comfortable with them. And the recoil is negligible.

imashooter2
03-16-2024, 02:02 AM
Nothing wrong with buying a gimmick gun like the Judge for a toy as long as you understand what it is.

cwtebay
03-16-2024, 02:11 AM
Firstly - can't believe I am going to say this! But.. ....Perhaps this situation would be best served without a firearm? A quick call or text to a trusted neighbour would be a more sensible solution. If this person is elderly, physically impaired - I would hesitate to place a firearm in their hands unless that firearm is comfortable in their hands. Better doors / glass / entry points / alarms may be a smarter solution.

Barry54
03-16-2024, 06:29 AM

This last sentence seems full of contradictions and impossibilities to me.
Light and small are characteristics of a concealed carry firearm and aren’t needed for a bedside gun, and generally aren’t helpful to shooting accurately.
Shaking hands sounds elderly. If the family member doesn’t already have a gun collection, they probably aren’t going to be a “gun guy” now. My friend in his 80’s had sold everything above 32 caliber. At one point he asked me about a universal magazine loader. He probably couldn’t rack the slide on bigger guns either. (S&W may be onto something with that EZ model)
He carried a Ruger LCR 22 revolver. It was light and he could tolerate the recoil. I imagine he would have needed both hands or two fingers to pull the trigger. He kept a small set of pliers in his pocket to assist with his pants zipper....

All this said, it may not matter what your family member has for home defense. Anything is better than nothing and it will likely collect dust and never be fired. A 380 Hi-point is fine in that application. Spend time with loved ones. That’s what’s important. People observing activity/visitors at random times can be a deterrent to bad guys too.

shooting on a shoestring
03-16-2024, 06:59 AM
Guns are power tools same as table saws or automobiles. They demand a level of mental and physical fitness. They are a two edged sword.

Cwtebay and Barry54, good posts. I’ll add two more options to the list. Pepper spray and a medical alert button. Medical alert buttons worn around the neck can be under a shirt. One button push connects via cell service or Wi-Fi to the operator who can send police. Police are minutes away and seconds count. But even the best soldier will reach a point when he’s too old to fight. That’s when he shouldn’t be going to war.

Thumbcocker
03-16-2024, 09:12 AM
If the decision is for a handgun that will be used solely for home defense, I would recommend a used model 10 Smith. There are police trade in guns around that have worn finish but are still tight and serviceable. No slide to rack, no magazine to load, no safety lever to find in the dark. Point and pull the trigger. Maybe loaded with wadcutters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-16-2024, 10:05 AM
If the decision is for a handgun that will be used solely for home defense, I would recommend a used model 10 Smith. There are police trade in guns around that have worn finish but are still tight and serviceable. No slide to rack, no magazine to load, no safety lever to find in the dark. Point and pull the trigger. Maybe loaded with wadcutters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
"model 10 Smith"
This was my first thought when reading this thread, for all the reasons that Thumbcocker stated. It's also my first suggestion to any person who is thinking of a gun for self-defense for the first time, that may or may not be a gun person.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-16-2024, 10:09 AM
Firstly - can't believe I am going to say this! But.. ....Perhaps this situation would be best served without a firearm? A quick call or text to a trusted neighbour would be a more sensible solution. If this person is elderly, physically impaired - I would hesitate to place a firearm in their hands unless that firearm is comfortable in their hands. Better doors / glass / entry points / alarms may be a smarter solution.

When I read cwtebay's comment, I also agree with it...and have a companion thought.
Maybe a non Lethal weapon...like the Hero 2020 that my favorite radio talker advertises for.

https://shop.hero.us.com/collections/jesse-kelly-hero-gun-picks

GhostHawk
03-16-2024, 10:25 AM
If they are older I would seriously consider either

A Ruger Mk IIII in .22lr with 5"+ barrel.

B NAA 5 shot revolver in .22mag, prefered models are the Ranger II or Sidewinder. Both much faster and easier to reload than the others.

C Pheonix arms makes an inexpensive .22lr semi auto 10 shot mag. He can miss half of those and still get the job done. HP 22 currently 160$ at buds gun shop.

D If he is older and shaky, is his wife there? In better shape? My wife cindy is a sweet mild mannered soft talking grandma. But threaten me or her kid and she turns into a very loud very angry grizzly bear! And it happens RIGHT NOW!

I'm 71 and while I am not shaky yet about 6 years ago me and recoil parted ways. .22 either LR or mag, .32sw long these are still pleasant to shoot and effective enough. 9mm and anything bigger is out.

Delkal
03-16-2024, 10:37 AM
If this person decides he needs a firearm then a .38 cal Model 10 smith is the answer. With a revolver all you have to do is load it and it can sit in a drawer for decades and it is less likely to unintentionally fire vs an auto with the safety off. But if you need it just pick it up and pull the trigger without having to worry about a magazine, if there is a round in the chamber or a safety.

I never liked the Judge or the way they marketed it. I think it was pushed for new shooters who have little experience with firearms or never shot before and probably couldn't hit anything. But, as the movies show, with a shotgun all you have to do is point one in the general direction, shoot, and it will put a basketball sized hole in anything. Unfortunately shotgun pistols don't work that way and at close range I doubt shooting more projectiles would mean the difference between a hit or a miss vs a regular pistol. But they end up buying a hard recoiling overly heavy Judge that will intimidate them. For a new shooter this only guarantees a bad flinch.

SSGOldfart
03-16-2024, 11:07 AM
Humm thinking about this a bit last night there seems to be a little clouded "woke" judgement in some replys, I for one will never relay on response from 911 for a defense event

I think he is talking about One Shot in close Quarters,which means a short barrel shotgun with buckshot or even bird shot might be the best advice, he's not talking about reloading or worried about recoil he's looking to stop a intruders in the same room/not a fleeing subject,"One Shot and done", I love my 45's and 38's but I'm well trained to use them.

35remington
03-16-2024, 02:19 PM
Sooooo……we’re back to the question……what does this person handle and shoot well? If you don’t know find out first. Provide him with choice and let him choose, keeping in mind the goal is to do well in terms of reliable manipulation and reasonable hittability.

And yeah, that could be a Model 10 with wadcutters, but let him show you that is correct……or not.

SSGOldfart
03-16-2024, 03:06 PM
I did reach out and learned a little more about the situation. I'll leave it up to the OP to give details, If he wants too

Half Dog
03-16-2024, 04:23 PM
I want to thank you for your input and time it took. This group has given me options to consider and weigh the pros and cons. My biggest concern is that a single projectile might not meet the target and I now have different perspectives.

Milky Duck
03-16-2024, 11:28 PM
ok..so supposedly they are comfortable with idea of .410 and dont want a long arm...so dont use one.ASSUMABLY its legal to do so...saw off a side by side you get the reliability of two barrels.and action that is easy to open and load /reload.... still light and easy to poke at target.... the load options are endless from light #9 clay target loads-----#4 shot 3" rabbit loads that will keep shot inside the plastic wad at 3 yards ---buckshot loads are vastly under rated and if reload the options there are endless.a 5 ball 3" load is easy to do,not hard to open up a bought birdshot load and replace payload and reclose crimp.... solids give no advantage over buckshot at spitting range.

GhostHawk
03-17-2024, 07:25 AM
The problem Milky is that a sawed off shotgun is NOT legal.
A .410 round fired in a handgun chambered for .45 colt however is. Shakes head, I know, strange breed those in government.

In my reply above I was going to include a black powder double barrel howdah gun. Short barrels but because they are black powder and slow to load they are legal.
For now at least. Probably not his worst option.

Milky Duck
03-17-2024, 05:14 PM
WOW that is just plain dumb..... like suppressor laws...
so will need to find shortest legally made SxS ...coachgun length deal....will be MUCH MUCH easier for shakey hands to use,even if used from hip or with buttplate tucked under arm
thanks for clarification GhostHawk...... the only consistancy in lawmakers is the inconsistancy and outright braindead thinking at times.
over here we opposite..can saw barrels off willy nilly as long as overall length stays above 762mm but are extremely restricted on handgun use....certified range only and lots of hoops to jump through,expensive licence and security measures.

Delkal
03-17-2024, 05:48 PM
WOW that is just plain dumb..... like suppressor laws...
so will need to find shortest legally made SxS ...coachgun length deal....will be MUCH MUCH easier for shakey hands to use,even if used from hip or with buttplate tucked under arm
thanks for clarification GhostHawk...... the only consistancy in lawmakers is the inconsistancy and outright braindead thinking at times.
over here we opposite..can saw barrels off willy nilly as long as overall length stays above 762mm but are extremely restricted on handgun use....certified range only and lots of hoops to jump through,expensive licence and security measures.

In the US the minimum barrel length for a shotgun is 18 inches. It is legal to shorten a shotgun barrel but most people cut it at 18 1/4 inches just to be safe since if it was accidentally cut at 17 7/8 it would be a felony.

With the short action of a double barrel and an 18 inch barrel the shotgun would be very compact and easy to handle. Could be a good option for the OP. Simple to use, and extremely effective even with reduced loads.

45workhorse
03-17-2024, 07:44 PM
My two cents!
The Taurus Judge is a good call with Winchester PDX1 Defender .410ammo. No need to reload for it. (Even if set up for it)
"Old and shaky" he/she is not going to the range a whole bunch of times, once maybe to see how it shoots. It will sit in a drawer till needed (Model 10/good call)
We ain't shooting a national match.
The range inside the house, will be sufficient to do damage to bad guy
90% of the time, first round goes off, and bad guy is running!!!!!!
We are over thinking this.

POLICE HAVE BEEN CALLED AND I HAVE A GUN! That may be enough!
Plus is the individual capable of taking another persons life!

Good luck!

Barry54
03-18-2024, 05:51 PM

Tall
03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
I would say neither fish nor fowl. You want either a good 410 or a good 45 - the Judge is neither.

racepres
03-18-2024, 10:39 PM
I would say neither fish nor fowl. You want either a good 410 or a good 45 - the Judge is neither.
Not for you maybe...me neither at this juncture...but the 410 Contender is about as effective as the bolt action 410 here!!
Both are Slow, and Clumsy..not a Bedside Buddy!! The Double is worser!!
I would Not step in front of a Judge loaded with Any decent 410 shell...certainly Not one of the 2-1/2 with 7-1/2, that we load!!
And that "defender".... IDK..Looks Bad to the Bone!!
As Said...we ain't target shootin...We aint even showin off!!!

Half Dog
03-19-2024, 08:17 AM
Oops. I posted the same post twice.

Half Dog
03-19-2024, 08:24 AM
I’m watching videos showing the Win PDX1 defense ammo being shot from a Judge. That combination looks like a great defensive combination for home use. I didn’t see a grouping of the BB’s but that might be a benefit if the sights aren’t exactly on target. If a person has a house full of family it might not be the best choice but for 2 people who sleep in the same room it deserves more investigation.

Here’s a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff-BizqTaOA

FergusonTO35
03-19-2024, 03:34 PM
We sell a ton of Judges at my side job shop but always to folks who seem less than knowledgeable about guns and ammo. I imagine most of them think they are getting full length barrel .410 shotgun performance in a handgun. With the .410 handgun specific loads, maybe it has a niche. We actually get those in alot more than regular .410 shotshells.

HWooldridge
03-19-2024, 03:47 PM
My daughter-in-law's dad has a "Judge" - we fired a few .45 rounds out of it one Sunday afternoon. I did not care for the balance and can think of a dozen other options I'd rather have - especially at night in a home defense situation. But I reckon somebody is buying them...

racepres
03-19-2024, 08:29 PM
OK Now we are looking at a Judge for someone to keep on the Nightstand... Correct?
With Win PDX1 defense ammo??? Correct... if we stay within the prescribed parameters... what is the Ups and Downs???
Put yer Manikin in the doorway...shoot the thing!!! Results????
Why does this need to be so darn Difficult....???

pettypace
03-20-2024, 08:47 AM
Anyone seriously considering the Judge for self-defense should seriously watch these two videos by Shooting the Bull (https://shootingthebull.net/blog/judging-the-judge-the-taurus-judge-public-defender/):

Judging The Judge: Public Defender Review, Part 1: Claims vs Reality (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNVXuspaJtE)

Judging The Judge: Public Defender Review, Part 2: as a shotgun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDMDd4eAQO0)

(Note that testing with Clear Ballistic gel likely over-states penetration by approximately 20%. So, the 18"-20" penetration in the second video is probably closer to 15"-16" in real 10% ordnance gelatin.)

For a nightstand self-defense gun, you could do a lot worse than that snubby Judge loaded with the Federal 000 buckshot load.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that an old guy with the shakes and limited experience with firearms could or should depend on one.

racepres
03-20-2024, 09:52 AM
Anyone seriously considering the Judge for self-defense should seriously watch these two videos by Shooting the Bull (https://shootingthebull.net/blog/judging-the-judge-the-taurus-judge-public-defender/):

Judging The Judge: Public Defender Review, Part 1: Claims vs Reality (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNVXuspaJtE)

Judging The Judge: Public Defender Review, Part 2: as a shotgun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDMDd4eAQO0)

(Note that testing with Clear Ballistic gel likely over-states penetration by approximately 20%. So, the 18"-20" penetration in the second video is probably closer to 15"-16" in real 10% ordnance gelatin.)

For a nightstand self-defense gun, you could do a lot worse than that snubby Judge loaded with the Federal 000 buckshot load.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that an old guy with the shakes and limited experience with firearms could or should depend on one.
IMO, It beats the pants off of calling 911 and Pray!!!! Put it in a Gun Box that calls 911 for ya when ya remove the Firearm!!!!
gots Both...

FergusonTO35
03-20-2024, 11:36 AM
I wonder if there have been any real life shootings with the .410 handgun specific loads? My MIL has a single shot .410 shotgun as her only gun and I bought her some Hornady CD to keep with it.

Half Dog
03-20-2024, 03:59 PM
I’ve seen several recent tests and the Judge seems like a great home defense pistol. As long as the shooter understands the limitations it should perform. Now I must get/borrow one to shoot it myself.

35remington
03-20-2024, 11:19 PM
Might want to get the person this is intended for to shoot it before you buy it for his use. And contrast it with other possibilities as well. What you think is suitable may not be his judgement.

Just sayin.’

Easy to get the cart before the horse.

lar45
03-23-2024, 10:38 AM
I have a Judge and my son has one also.
I load 4 000 buck in a 2.5" hull with 2400 powder.
With 45 colt loads, it's reasonably accurate. Guaranteed I could hit a goblin at 25yds.
My son got the poly defender. The grip was way short, so we put a full sized grip on it for him. It's much better now.

Half Dog
03-24-2024, 08:30 AM
I have a Judge and my son has one also.
I load 4 000 buck in a 2.5" hull with 2400 powder.
With 45 colt loads, it's reasonably accurate. Guaranteed I could hit a goblin at 25yds.
My son got the poly defender. The grip was way short, so we put a full sized grip on it for him. It's much better now.

Where can I find buckshot reloading information for the 410?

Barry54
03-24-2024, 08:41 AM
Where can I find buckshot reloading information for the 410?

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Buckshot-Loading-Manual-4th-ed/productinfo/00MBUCK/

The BPI buckshot loading manual has recipes for loading 000 in 2-1/2” 410. You can load three pellets. Two pellets, or one pellet. The 1 pellet load is supposed to achieve 2500+ FPS in a full length shotgun barrel.

PM me with a way to contact you and I’ll send you a picture of the relevant page. Then you can see if you wanna buy the booklet. I’m unable to attach photos in private message on here.

Your Lyman 5th edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook will have recipes for loading four pellets of 00 Buckshot in 2-1/2” 410.

lar45
03-24-2024, 08:52 AM
I used the BPI manual. I looked at the data for 1, 2, or 3 000 Buckshot, then backed off a reasonable amount and tried 4 balls.
I used a roll crimp on top to close it up.
I believe that Federal has a factory load of 4 000 Buck.

rintinglen
03-24-2024, 04:44 PM
The only fly in the ointment that I see is that you are shooting a 340 grain payload out of a 29 0z. revolver (Federal 4 pellet 000 buck load, 850 fps). If I did the math right, that works out to about 14 ft. lbs. of recoil energy. That might be problematic for a shaky, and perhaps weak shooter.

pettypace
03-25-2024, 10:28 AM
The only fly in the ointment that I see is that you are shooting a 340 grain payload out of a 29 0z. revolver (Federal 4 pellet 000 buck load, 850 fps). If I did the math right, that works out to about 14 ft. lbs. of recoil energy. That night be problematic for a shaky, and perhaps weak shooter.

Yes! And an inexperienced shooter with just enough practice for familiarity could easily develop a flinch to negate any possible gain from the multi-projectile load.

One advantage of the four 000 buckshot load that hasn't yet been mentioned is reduced risk of over-penetration through walls. Hatcher was convinced that penetration through pine boards was directly proportional to bullet energy divided by cross-sectional area. Compared to a heavy .45 Colt load, each of the four 000 buckshots gets one-fourth the total energy which is then spread over more total cross-sectional area. For a nightstand gun, this could be an important consideration.

The total wound mass from the four 000 buckshots (by MacPherson's calculations), is about 40 grams, about the same as the best 9mm JHP. There may be some statistical advantage to spreading that 40 grams over multiple projectiles. But maintaining adequate tissue penetration in the process results in the extra recoil that rintinglen points out.

Too bad Remington discontinued their "Multiball Load." A pair of Centennials loaded with R38SMB would have the same total firepower as the Judge loaded with the Federal four 000 load, eliminate the recoil problem, provide redundancy, and be much easier on the eye.

rintinglen
03-25-2024, 01:58 PM
One other aspect that seems to get limited discussion is that most of the multi-ball, buckshot loads I saw being demonstrated on the internet group pretty tightly. Meaning that at house hold distances, (25 feet and in), you must aim your shot nearly as carefully as if it were a single projectile. This ain't your Grandad's scattergun. (and even those require some attention to aiming.) I discount the bird shot mixes as they just open up too fast, with too little energy per pellet to be relied upon to effectively terminate an armed assault.

Half Dog
03-25-2024, 02:39 PM
This discussion has given me great information plus sent me down a rabbit trail. I have a Super 14 and O/U in 410 and I’m wanting to load some buckshot, mostly for fun.