PDA

View Full Version : reducing mould ball size?

barnabus
03-12-2024, 09:29 PM
im talking to guy who has a 69 cal round ball mould that drops at .6905 with boat keel lead. I need it to drop about 687 max.What type of lead could possibly get me there?I have range lead and ww and pure lead.

centershot
03-12-2024, 10:31 PM
Pure lead will cast the smallest, but I don't think it'll get you to .687".

BK7saum
03-12-2024, 10:49 PM
Depending on the composition of the boat keel, you should be able to cast a little smaller with pure. Also, I believe that casting hotter will allow the cast to end up smaller due to shrinkage( I may have that backward). I would try pure amd play around with temp, casting very hot and just above slush to see what works.

Also, some have sprayed the mold cavities with a mold release such as Frankford arsenal drop out or whatever it is called. The mold release or a spray graphite will added a layer to the cavities and cast a smaller ball.

Delkal
03-12-2024, 10:51 PM
Just tell him to use a thicker patch......if he would bring a micrometer to a fabric shop or a thrift store he could find a lifetime supply.

jsizemore
03-18-2024, 08:25 PM
Depending on the composition of the boat keel, you should be able to cast a little smaller with pure. Also, I believe that casting hotter will allow the cast to end up smaller due to shrinkage( I may have that backward). I would try pure amd play around with temp, casting very hot and just above slush to see what works.

Also, some have sprayed the mold cavities with a mold release such as Frankford arsenal drop out or whatever it is called. The mold release or a spray graphite will added a layer to the cavities and cast a smaller ball.

All this is true with pure lead. You might try a rotary tumbler after they are cast.

Fitz
03-18-2024, 09:35 PM
Just tell him to use a thicker patch......if he would bring a micrometer to a fabric shop or a thrift store he could find a lifetime supply.
Thinner not thicker patch would do.

barnabus
03-19-2024, 06:02 AM
Thinner not thicker patch would do.

not using a patch