PDA

View Full Version : Need a good non meat or meat byproduct soup

warren5421
03-12-2024, 08:35 PM
Our Preast, Roman Catholic clergyperson, wants to have a soup supper on Friday's till Easter. I have never made soup without meat flavor in it. Have you got any recipe's for no type/by product of meat soups. Have a shellfish allergy so some of the good soups are out.

Recycled bullet
03-12-2024, 08:37 PM
Is cheese acceptable to throw in the soup? It adds a lot of fat and flavor both which really enrichen the soups taste.

Winger Ed.
03-12-2024, 08:39 PM
I'd do a quickie search for 'vegetable soup recipes'.

At least a hundred will pop right up.

Buzz Krumhunger
03-12-2024, 08:41 PM
I’d probably do an online search of “hearty vegetarian soups” if I was assigned a task like that.

Hogtamer
03-12-2024, 08:56 PM
Start with vegetable broth from the store. Season that to taste as it heats with salt, pepper and fresh chopped garlic. For veggies use carrots, onions, celery, green peas and potatoes, all diced into 1/2” pieces. Add some frozen corn niblets and taste again for seasoning. Add garden rotini pasta and let ‘er simmer until veggies tender and pasta done. Serve with good bread like chibbata or french baguette and you have a good hearty meal.

country gent
03-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Maybe some of the cream soups may be do able but its going to take some research to find them. I would start with the vegetarian / vegan recipes. You might also want to consider a side of grilled cheese with the soups. If cheese is allowed.
Soups homemade can be an all day affair cooking them. How much to make is a problem as you can make more if you run out. Or what to do with extra if you have 2 much. You might look for canned prepared as then a start can be cooked and you can open more cans as needed. Our church for dinners would purchase 1 gallon cans of various things. Soup is a hard one to figure on.

15meter
03-12-2024, 09:23 PM
Home made cream of mushroom soup is hard to beat. I use the recipe from an old Fanny Farmer cookbook, but I leave the mushrooms in, I don't strain them out like the original recipe calls for.

For ease, 1/2 diced zucchini, 1/2 stewed tomatoes, a small white onion(or two) diced and cooked until clear in either butter or olive oil. Black pepper to taste. Put it all in a pot and let it simmer for an hour or two.

Easy, flavorful and scalable. And misses most food allergies. And inexpensive. What's not to like?

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-12-2024, 09:41 PM
My two favorites (I usually add meat, but you don't have to)
both are very simple recipes.

Split Pea soup (option, cubed Ham)
you can usually get "vegetable flakes" in any spice aisle, usually at the dollar store, that's what I would use for soup stock, re-hydrate dry peas, and cook for a couple hours.

Pinto Bean Soup (option, Bacon of course)
Same basic recipe as pea soup.

HWooldridge
03-12-2024, 09:52 PM
Macque choux - https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/maque-choux/

Just leave out the bacon pieces and use bacon lard instead.

Outpost75
03-12-2024, 10:07 PM
Vietnamese pumpkin soup seasoned with olive oil, lemon grass, onion, soy sauce, red pepper. Liberal addition of fish sauce also if allowed by your leftist social engineers...

MaryB
03-12-2024, 11:03 PM
Many potato soup recipes out there... as long as milk is allowed. Use bacon fat to saute the onions for added flavor...

Cheddar/broccoli soup is good stuff!

Some fish soups are okay... not high on my list but others like them.

square butte
03-13-2024, 06:15 AM
There's always French Onion soup with cheese on top

gwpercle
03-13-2024, 07:39 PM
Too bad the no "shellfish" requirement ...

Cajun Shrimp and Okra Gumbo or a nice Shrimp and Corn Soup are popular around here this time of year ...

A hearty soup I enjoy is a good Potato Soup ... like this one
"The Best Vegetarian Potato Soup " found it @ www.happyveggiekitchen.com
and it's a winner ... I use ther boxed Swanson's vegetable Stock ... and smoked Gouda cheese is good !
Gary

farmbif
03-13-2024, 07:52 PM
lentil soup an ancient classic non meat soup can be made with vegetable or chicken broth, lentils,onion carrot celery crushed tomato cumin coriander paprika bay leaves a lemon, yup a lemon, this is the secret stuff, salt and pepper back when pap paw taught me how to cook he said the difference between a short order cook and a chef is a chef can make soups and stews.
another old classic is leek soup or potato leek soup, there are lots of different recipes for this but onions, garlic, butter, leeks and potato are the basic beginning

Bmi48219
03-13-2024, 08:01 PM
Depending how ‘vegan’ the soup must be, lots of vegans won’t eat cheese, animal milks or soup made from animal stock or broth.
There are dozens of recipes for Cabbage soup with various other rice, potatoes, leeks and veggies in it.

elmacgyver0
03-13-2024, 08:49 PM
I have a story about vegan soup, but I will not tell it here because I do not have the recipe of the soup.
All I can say it was one of the most delicious soups I have ever had, much to my amazement.

Good Cheer
03-13-2024, 09:03 PM
Depending how ‘vegan’ the soup must be, lots of vegans won’t eat cheese, animal milks or soup made from animal stock or broth.
There are dozens of recipes for Cabbage soup with various other rice, potatoes, leeks and veggies in it.

That's what I was thinking about.

A hurdle to overcome is obtaining that satisfying mouth fullness provided by the presence of animal fats.
While it may seem like cheating the vegetarian bullion cubes or powders mite help get you there. So will olive oil.
Serve the soup with slices of garlic toasted bread. Fry the garlic in the olive oil first. You're creating something for oh so satisfyingly sinking those incisors into. :)

And always remember that beer and wine are vegan.

poppy42
03-14-2024, 12:53 AM
You could always do a fish chowder. Omit the shellfish a.k.a. clams and substitute it with maybe cod or Scrod.

MT Gianni
03-14-2024, 01:15 AM
Butternut squash soup is awesome as is peanut. Plenty of recipes on the web for both.

MrWolf
03-14-2024, 04:31 AM
Back when the doc was on me for my cholesterol way back when, I had tried Morningstar sausage crumbles (fake meat). Make sure it is those specifically. They actually tasted like sausage. I have not eaten any of that type stuff in at least 20 years so who knows what is what anymore.

Tatume
03-14-2024, 06:35 AM
Vegetable Soup
Some or all of below

Potatoes
Peas
Tomatos
Celery
Onion
Carrots
Mushrooms
Peppers
Garlic
Black pepper
Spices
Vegetable Broth
Gain (Barley, Rice, Split peas, Beans)

Slow cook several hours. I make this soup in cold weather and my wife begs me to make it more often. Exact amounts of components don't matter.

loveruger
03-16-2024, 10:42 PM
How about a minestrone no meat and flavorful.

Good Cheer
03-19-2024, 09:50 AM
This is probably not something to try out on a crowd without preliminary testing but well, I was researching soups and stews the other day for the use of various grains. Came upon "zurek", a traditional Polish soup made with a soured rye mash. Now that's an idea I'd a'never come up with! Looks to me as though it could be adaptable to "meatless" with sour cream, cheeses and veggies.

gwpercle
03-20-2024, 02:57 PM
And don't forget about "Vegetarian Chili " ... chili without meat can be Tasty and filling ... or so I have been told !

Take your favorite Chili recipe , leave out the meat , add three or four different kinds of beans - like kidney beans , navy beans , black beans and pinto beans along with some tomatoes , corn and whatever vegetables ... like carrots , onions bell peppers , other peppers ... Mushrooms , garlic , celery , and whatever else strikes your fancy ...
...it could be great !
Gary