PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Lee die carbide

abunaitoo
03-12-2024, 06:00 PM
So, I managed to crack the carbide on my 500 S&W die.
Looking for a replacement, but it seems everyone is out of stock.
Except Lee Precision.
Common problem????
Thinking Lee dies used to have a lifetime warranty, I went to the Lee Precision site.
I guess they changed their warranty.
Now it's only two years, and have to have a receipt.
I sent an email to them to ask anyway.
Hoping for the best.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-12-2024, 06:07 PM
I'll bet that they make it right. I've had several dealings with them in the past and never been disappointed.

DG

Delkal
03-12-2024, 06:09 PM
They has some kind of warranty where they will replace anything for 1/2 of their MSRP + shipping. Problem is that is close to what you can get a new one for from other vendors.

deces
03-12-2024, 06:11 PM
It's still a way better price than the competitors.

Gtrubicon
03-12-2024, 06:31 PM
How did you crack the die?

bosterr
03-12-2024, 06:36 PM
The carbide size ring broke with my .475 Linebaugh. Andy Lee told me by email it's quite common on big diameter calibers. I sent it in and was replaced. I sold the set and bought a RCBS set and it's still going strong.

poppy42
03-13-2024, 12:25 AM
I would call Lee, not email,call! Ask for Brenda! You have nothing to loose. From what I hear it’s not really that uncommon to crack the cardboard ring.

castmiester
03-13-2024, 01:01 AM
For precision buy Redding and never look back. I can understand a pressed in carbide ring would fail.

Here’s what l found…

Tungsten, on the other hand, is a denser, heavier metal that is more scratch-resistant than titanium, but more prone to cracking

racepres
03-13-2024, 09:34 AM

My friend can break one at any time...Bought the Heaviest Duty Press available (at the time) and insists once shell holder touches die...another 3/4 of a turn in!!! Duh

35 Rem
03-13-2024, 02:56 PM
My friend can break one at any time...Bought the Heaviest Duty Press available (at the time) and insists once shell holder touches die...another 3/4 of a turn in!!! Duh

That ought to do it for sure! :)

schutzen-jager
03-13-2024, 03:04 PM
probably be a hassle to have Lee honor their 1/2 price warranty - if you live in a state that collects sales tax they will refuse to ship it to you - they will refer you to one of their distributers + most have inflated pricing + excessive shipping costs -

wildwilly501
03-13-2024, 03:21 PM
My 475 Linebaugh was broken new in the box they sent me one but I had to send the broken one back first.

schutzen-jager
03-13-2024, 03:47 PM
My 475 Linebaugh was broken new in the box they sent me one but I had to send the broken one back first.
that will only happen if no 1/2 price warrantee costs or any monetary charges exist - are involved - if you live in any state or territory that has a sales tax they will refuse to ship it to you -

wildwilly501
03-14-2024, 12:26 PM
that will only happen if no 1/2 price warrantee costs or any monetary charges exist - are involved - if you live in any state or territory that has a sales tax they will refuse to ship it to you -

I really don’t know what you’re talking about but I can assure you they sent me one.

schutzen-jager
03-14-2024, 12:58 PM
I really don’t know what you’re talking about but I can assure you they sent me one.

they only sent you one no charge because of a factory defect + there was no money required for you to pay - if it was under the 50% guarantee + any state or local tax involved they would absolutely refuse to ship it to you directly - lots of posts on here confirming this fact in the past - i do know what i'm claiming - speaking from recent personal experience as have many others have learned -

abunaitoo
03-14-2024, 04:29 PM
I did get the 1/2 price warranty.
Had to pay for the shipping, so it came out to about the same if I got it from someplace else.
But places I've checked were out of stock, and I would have to pay for the shipping from them.
So it came out less.
Of course this money hungry state charges everyone a tax.
I hope they send it.

abunaitoo
03-18-2024, 10:22 PM
Got the die today.
Fast shipping.
Comes with the new style lock ring.
First one I have.
I have some spare of the old style, so it's going to be swapped out.
I'm happy, happy, happy.

WILCO
03-19-2024, 12:26 AM
I'm happy, happy, happy.

Best part of the story!!!!!

abunaitoo
03-19-2024, 02:55 PM

Looking at it again, the metal on the die body is so thin, it's not holding anything.
The carbide ring doesn't go all the way up.
Maybe 1/4".
So not much support if it needs lots of resizing.
I do lube even with the carbide.
I size all the way down, so maybe that's why it cracked.
I'll try sizing only the top half of the case.

gwpercle
03-19-2024, 03:52 PM
If you get another carbide ... go ahead and keep useing Lubricant when resizing ...
The lubricant realy helps re-sizing , it lessens the force and stress that is put on the carbide ring ...also makes resizing easier .
Use a Business card to set a small gap between the shell holder and die/carbide ring ...don't let the die bottom edge / carbide ring contact the shell holder ...that puts pressure on the brittle carbide .
the thicness of a business card will help with cracking .
It's not just Lee carbide rings being 1/4" thick ... they all are .
Good Luck with that Big Bore !

Gary

Tim357
03-20-2024, 12:36 PM
If you get another carbide ... go ahead and keep useing Lubricant when resizing ...
The lubricant realy helps re-sizing , it lessens the force and stress that is put on the carbide ring ...also makes resizing easier .
Use a Business card to set a small gap between the shell holder and die/carbide ring ...don't let the die bottom edge / carbide ring contact the shell holder ...that puts pressure on the brittle carbide .
the thicness of a business card will help with cracking .
It's not just Lee carbide rings being 1/4" thick ... they all are .
Good Luck with that Big Bore !

Gary

This! Never let the shell holder contact the carbide ring. If your brass isn't getting sized enough at the web, you may need a steel die.

gwpercle
03-20-2024, 03:48 PM
This! Never let the shell holder contact the carbide ring. If your brass isn't getting sized enough at the web, you may need a steel die.

Truth is I have gone back to steel sizing dies in all my handguns except for an old Lyman Carbide set in 45 acp . The steel just seem to give more reloading life to a case . The 45 acp dies don't over-size the brass but they must be at least 45 years old ... maybe they were made different back then .
Gary