PDA

View Full Version : Norma Tac-22

roysha
03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
What is your experience with this ammunition in autoloading handguns?

I'm looking for a replacement for WIN T-22 which has been discontinued as I'm down to my last carton of it, that I bought in the late 90s. This is for a Supermatic, so I want to stay in the SV range. Any other thoughts on a suitable replacement for the T-22? I have tried AGUILA, CCI, REM Target and FED Auto Match, none of which come close to performance of the T-22.

Nines&Twos
03-11-2024, 08:25 PM
Wow...amazing how different things are from one person/gun to the next. I have over two bricks of T22 Match and it's some of the sorriest garbage I have ever shot. Will not cycle half the time and NOT accurate. I just feed it to revolvers and blast cans and rocks with it. I've had better luck with Thunderbolts....and they are garbage as well.

I have tried a lot of different 22 ammo and I have a hard time beating CCI Standard for the money. Lapua Pistol King and Pistol OSP will do amazing things but I can't pay that on a regular basis. Aguila Target/Competition did very well but it's hard to find around here.
I've only shot 1 box of the Tac-22 but it seemed to do well but one box is hardly enough to make any claims.

shtur
03-11-2024, 08:43 PM
My 107 Supermatic shoots TAC-22 just fine. Being a higher priced .22 round, I thought it would have better accuracy than Aguila, but it doesn't.
I also shoot TAC-22 in my Colt Woodsman's, and it cycles just fine. The bullet has a very greasy lube that could be beneficial in autos.

Barry54
03-11-2024, 08:46 PM
Greasy. Softer than imperial sizing wax, but maybe more tacky. Messy. I won’t buy more once it’s gone.

MOshooter
03-11-2024, 09:06 PM
Both of my Ruger MKII's like the Norma Tac-22, and my CZ 452's really like the Norma Tac-22.

Here's a 100 yd. 5 shot Norma Tac-22 from my CZ 452 American

FergusonTO35
03-12-2024, 09:09 AM
Shoots well, troublesome in autoloaders. I wont buy it unless its cheap.

Bazoo
03-12-2024, 09:28 AM
Interesting reports on it. I bought a couple of bricks of it a while back. I think I tried a box or 2 a couple of years ago, but it's been a while. I'm hoping my Single Six likes or loves it. It loves Aguila so far.

Finster101
03-12-2024, 09:45 AM
Tac-22 shoots great for me in my 10/22 and 22/45 auto loaders. It also shoots very well out of an old Mossberg 46a and my CZ 452 Lux. I bought a 5000 round case. Very happy with it.

NSB
03-12-2024, 10:33 AM
It’s remarkably accurate out of all my rimfire handguns and rifles. None of my guns have any problems ejecting the empties. Yes, it’s a bit greasy….like many quality target standard velocity brands are….Eley, RWS, Lapua, etc. I don’t mind wiping my fingers off, paper towels and rags are pretty cheap. When I’m shooting groups I like to hit what I’m aiming at. I buy this stuff by the case. So far it’s on par with the best target ammo, or at least 95%. For the price it can’t be beat. FWIW, I’m getting under an inch groups with my SW auto loader at 25 yards and the same or less with my CZ rifle at 50 yards.

ShooterAZ
03-12-2024, 11:48 AM
I have also found it to be overly greasy, slimy might be a better description. Having to wipe your hands after handling it isn't really that big a deal, but I still don't like having to do it. It shot OK for me, but not good enough for me to want to buy it again. I have a Marvel conversion that is a tack driver and I mostly shoot CCI SV in it for practice. For more serious target work I shoot the Eley Tenex Pistol. I stocked up on quite a bit of it a few years back, it's expensive, but boy is it accurate.

MOshooter
03-12-2024, 01:38 PM
I bought 2 cases of the Norma Tac-22 during the last administration , at that point it was 3.something cents a round.

380AUTO
03-12-2024, 02:07 PM
Greasy and won’t cycle my semi autos. I will not be purchasing more.

Mr Peabody
03-12-2024, 11:27 PM
My Ruger MK II shoots it great, but it shoots Blaser 40gr as well. The Blaser is much cheaper to buy when it's on the shelves

jsizemore
03-13-2024, 02:35 AM
SK got hard to find so I tried a case. Shot OK in the Suhl and Anschutz. Did good in the Victor and a 1911 22lr conversion. Sold the Victor and bought a Victory. Cycles and shoots good in it too. I clean my guns after using them. Haven't had any function problems so far.

vonb
03-13-2024, 07:04 PM
I love it in my 10/22. It’s super accurate add after rubbing it through a Waltz die, I have hunting ammo.

brassrat
03-13-2024, 07:22 PM
It works nicely in my Win. 69a and ok in some pistols but a couple HS mags jam. Have a few bricks bought cheap and also Match

FergusonTO35
03-19-2024, 03:24 PM
Tac-22 totally sux in my new Super Wrangler, biggest groups of anything I've tried so far.

atfsux
03-20-2024, 12:51 AM
Just because your favorite .22 ammo you have always used worked well before the .22 ammo shortage of 2013-2017 doesn't mean it still does. That period of time changed EVERYTHING in the .22 manufacturing biz. Because the manufacturers were running full tilt 24/7/365 during that time, quality control went to ****. I used to LOVE Winchester Super Speed in the red plastic 100-round boxes from Walmart. I scored some during the shortage and was thrilled to death to get it. That is, until they started blowing out case heads at about a 4% ratio.

Prior to that time, Aguila was the best bargain around. With their Eley priming, they were easily the best ammo in their price range. But then came the personnel shortages of the pandemic, and they lost some of their skilled long-time employees in the QA department. And quality took a nosedive from which it still has not recovered.

Digital Dan
03-20-2024, 07:06 AM
Never had any problems with it, but was not impressed even a little. I shoot CCI SV with reasonable performance in all of my rifles. The 10/22 dotes on WW Power Point when high precision is desired and the rest are quite fond of SK Standard+.

gunther
03-20-2024, 08:36 AM
A distinguished friend shoots SK in his Victor and Browning, and starts making excuses if he hasn't managed 810-815 in our weekly matches. And has a rag to wipe the oil off his hands when he stops shooting. I used to sort of manage 770 or so with a Victor or a 22/45, with Blazer. Shoulder went south, so that's history. Blazer is a little hot for target, but if you lay it beside CCI std vel, you can't tell them apart. And Blazer always goes off. Auto Match will do now, if your gun likes it. A Volquartsen firing pin will help a 22/45 if ignition is intermittent.

farmbif
03-20-2024, 09:39 AM
after trying tac22's I would never ever put it in any gun I own even if it was free. I sent the couple bricks I did have to a local auction when ammo was as scarce as hens teeth

FergusonTO35
03-20-2024, 11:26 AM
after trying tac22's I would never ever put it in any gun I own even if it was free. I sent the couple bricks I did have to a local auction when ammo was as scarce as hens teeth

My Tac-22 is sitting in the garage for casual practice. I figure if I'm making a 3" group with it then that should translate to 1" with my usual ammo.

G W Wade
03-20-2024, 12:45 PM
I bought TAC 22's at Cabelas a few years ago. Don't normally buy them but a 50%off, their mine. No idea what was going to do with them but price counts. Later bought a Tikka T1X. Really happy now. Tikka loves them. Getting 5 shot groups@50 yds under 1/2 in and smaller GW

roysha
03-24-2024, 11:46 AM
Well, I found a carton of TAC 22s at a reasonable price and bought it. I am VERY please with the performance of this ammunition thus far. Although I have only shot 200 rounds through my Supermatic, it has run flawlessly and shoots every bit as accurately as my old T-22. I plan on shooting the entire carton and if it continues to perform as well as the first 200, I will be laying in a supply to last a while.

In regard to the greasy bullets getting one's fingers all messy, I agree and would probably not want this ammunition for "field" use because of it's likely tendency to attract dirt and such, but since this is not a field gun I'm totally OK with the grease. Like someone posted, that's what paper towels and blue jeans are made for. As far as I'm concerned it is no worse than a juicy hamburger with all the fixins and greasy french fries. It's all part of the package. If it works, that's pretty much all that matters.

FergusonTO35
03-25-2024, 02:57 PM
Tried out tac-22's in my Henry H001T yesterday. They group as well as my usual Thunderjams and Aguila Super Extra, but POI is seriously 2.5" low. Yeah, don't think I'll be buying more of these. They are pretty close to other ammo in my handguns so I'll use them there.

stocker1042
04-03-2024, 08:05 PM
Shot it in my Walther PPQ today. It would not cycle the slide consistently. Shoots fine in other non-auto guns for me.