PDA

View Full Version : H&r 999

Wayne Smith
03-11-2024, 04:29 PM
I have the above revolver and it has movement when closed and locked of just over .004". I can feel the movement. How normal is this and is there anything that can be done about it? I have tightened the only screw that is available to tighten.

racepres
03-11-2024, 06:52 PM
Rotational?? When locked up??

Texas by God
03-11-2024, 07:05 PM
I detect no barrel movement side to side or to and fro on my wife’s 999. The cylinder has a-bit of slack at rest but locks up tight when fired.
The 999 Sportsman was as nice as an H&R revolver could be in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racepres
03-11-2024, 07:13 PM
I detect no barrel movement side to side or to and fro on my wife’s 999. The cylinder has a-bit of slack at rest but locks up tight when fired.
The 999 Sportsman was as nice as an H&R revolver could be in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am in lust with the 999...Probably my all time Favorite Revolver...and I ain't gots one..
Rotational vs lateral movement means different things Better send it to Me!!!! LOL

pietro
03-11-2024, 08:04 PM

If the cylinder movement is rotational, with the hammer cocked, it would indicate some excessive timing wear on either the pawl/ratchet or the cylinder stop.

If the cylinder has fore & aft end play, it would indicate that cylinder might need a very thin washer on it's axle rod to take up wear.

I would also check that the latch that secures the top strap to the cylinder frame when closed isn't worn, causing some looseness.

Wayne Smith
03-12-2024, 09:11 AM
Up and down. I can move the barrel down a touch when it is locked up. Agreed, these are among the best H&R made. This is not the cylinder, it is the lock up on top of the frame.

I have a S&W Model 3 (2000 made) and an H&R 32 S&W older than my 999 and neither of them move - they lock up tight.

pietro
03-12-2024, 05:24 PM

Then the barrel latching needs repair - just replacing the latch alone may/may not be the end all be all to the repair.