PDA

View Full Version : My frankenbuilt bullet sizing press.

THE_ANTIDOTE
03-10-2024, 10:17 PM
My dogs were asleep, I was bored, I looked over at my mig welder and got an idea... It is as adjustable as I could want it. I can size 30 caliber all the way up to S&W 500 magnum (it's the range of calibers I own) the die is height adjustable and locks in place, can go nose first or base first, short bullets or long...it doesn't matter... The handle is a solid rod and the added length compared to my star sizer makes single pass sizing possible vs on the Star where I have to go .562 to .561 to .560 to .559...now I just go straight to .569 and done and this was done with no lube...just powder coated bullets. The top punch adapter that I welded to the ram is from Al at NOE and so is the push thru die and bushings. I have no clue what this red tool was before I got it, but I now refer to my new press as "THE PERSUADER" lol.

Joe504
03-10-2024, 10:22 PM
What's the wait time on Persuader serial number #002?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

THE_ANTIDOTE
03-10-2024, 10:51 PM
I wish lol. I don't even know what it is. A friend of mine works at a metal recycling company. Somebody threw it away, but because my friend said it has too much plastic...I could have it. Well, when I was cutting out the hole for the die, I hit steel. Whatever it is, it's wrapped in heavy plastic. I had planned on making it even more versatile by adding an RCBS ram shell holder adapter that is threaded. With that I could adjust the depth of the punch holder or use NOE push rods...I just went the lazy way and made the punch holder fixed. I can modify it later... The nice thing is, I can make my own punches out of modified drill bits since the holder comes with a set screw. I did order ACCURATE mold's 3 top punch set so I have all I need. Can't really say it was an arbor press, maybe used to punch holes or install grommets?

dverna
03-10-2024, 11:48 PM
Nice job.

THE_ANTIDOTE
03-11-2024, 12:02 AM
Thank you. I didn't know how much I needed this until I sized a bunch of bullets with it.

MrWolf
03-11-2024, 10:02 AM
Love it. Ingenuity and repurposeing something tossed.

Soundguy
03-11-2024, 10:25 AM
reminds me of an arbor press. Wonder if it was a grommeting press..?

45DUDE
03-11-2024, 10:34 AM
I's a gear shift for a Farmall tractor. What a brain.

THE_ANTIDOTE
03-11-2024, 11:03 AM
A grommet press is what I thought except all but one model that I have seen online have the lever facing the opposite direction which I would think would make it awkward to operate. Many look similar but have such a small opening that it would be impossible to fit bullets like the 500 grain 45-70 torpedos let alone installing a die. This thing has no make/model on it anywhere. Most of those grommet presses are between $159-$350...don't know if I would chance chopping one of those up at that price when there are dedicated sizers on the market already.

racepres
03-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Puts me in a Mind of the old Mower Knife Section Rivet tools..but..Prolly Not stout enough for that job...could be for pressing the rivets out of a Knife blade sections after grinding end off???
This Sickle bar mower Knife...Maybe324427

rbuck351
03-11-2024, 11:56 AM
Looks like a good use for a trash can pickup. Nice job.

THE_ANTIDOTE
03-11-2024, 12:33 PM
I have had it for bout 2 years and was just about to throw it out due to all the plastic.