PDA

View Full Version : Navy Arms 1892 45 Colt

Slinger
02-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Is the Navy Arms 1892 in 45 Colt a decent levergun? I've been wanting a 45 Colt in a Lever for awhile, but I'm thinking I want something other than a Marlin. I like the Marlin, I've got one in 44 mag., but I came across this used, Navy Arms rifle. Asking $500 but might be able to get it cheaper. What do you think about the Quality? I casn alway wait and continue looking for an older, used Marlin. Putting a safety on the new Marlins was a waste of time in my opinion.

Freightman
02-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Well you might not like the Puma but I have a 45 colt '92 I love and I got it off gunbroker NIB for $402 total with shipping. You might have to pay a FFL but NIB is better than used unless it is an origional. If uou do not like the safety there are ways to get aroound it that cost little or nothing. My FFL charges $20 for a transfer but he charges me nothing as he is a good friend.

KCSO
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Save your bucks and go for the new Charles Daly in 45 colt. I have a CD and a NA and the CD is a much better gun. The CD has a tighter chamber and has no blow by with loads that i wouldn't even try in the NA. The NA and the Puma have about the same oversize chambers from the examples I have shot.

Slinger
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Hmmm, didn't know Charles Daly was into rifles. How does it compare to the Marlin?

azrednek
02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Hmmm, didn't know Charles Daly was into rifles. How does it compare to the Marlin?

Charles Daly has been putting it's name on all kinds of guns for many years. To the best of my knowledge Daly is just an importer and doesn't actually manufacture anything. Back in the 70's I had a few boxes of Charles Daly 30/06. It was French military surplus with a commercial soft tip bullet used to replace the original FMJ. The same ammo was also sold under the Interarms label.

Two co-workers of mine both had Charles Daly O/U shotguns they used for skeet shooting. I was told their Daly shotguns were manufactured by Zoli in Italy.

Afraid I can't help you on the Marlin comparison. My biggest concern about buying a non-USA manufactured rifle is parts availability. If something breaks will I be able to get the repair parts 10 or 20 years from now. Don't think parts availability would be a problem with a Marlin years later. Replacement parts availability are a pet peeve of mine since I had to sell a European S/S shotgun as a parts gun because I couldn't get the parts I needed to fix it. I also have an AMT 380 minus a trigger that just collects dust in my vault because I can't find the parts either new or used I need to repair it.

Boerrancher
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Finally got the money I needed, so tomorrow I am going to go to one of the semi local gun shops and pick up a Rossi pre-safety Mod 92 in a 45LC NIB. The dealer is asking $450, but I am going to shoot for $400 cash. I like the one I have, and would like another. The chamber is a bit larger than I would like, but it sure makes for a gun that will reliably function even when filthy with BP Fouling.

If I have to pay the full $450 I will not be upset considering it is a NIB pre safety that is hard to find these days period, much less NIB. I figure I will buy it and put it in the back of the safe, and sit on it for a few years, where it will either become more valuable, or I will give it to one of my boys to pack around while they are checking the fence line.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe

cajun shooter
02-21-2009, 09:31 AM
If the Navy is still there; Buy It!! The Navy models of which I own and I'm speaking from experience and not from what I read or heard. It should have real American walnut which came from Missouri. Mine is a tack driver. The chamber is not over sized and it's as slick as butter straight out the box. Call Steve Young, the 92 Guru and ask him ,he will tell you the same. The Navy imports were so good and accurate that a few of the other gun makers stopped making their guns in the wrong twist and copied the Navy 's 1 in 30. The only one to stay away from according to Steve is the case colored receiver model. Try to talk him down to the 450 range but if you like to shoot don't let it get away.

runfiverun
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
i have an older navy arms 45 colt rifle and love it.
iirc i paid 5 sumthing 15 years ago. the only upgrade i am working on for mine is better sights.
but it would make a nice hole at 50 yds for the better part of a day [till i got bored or tired]

Slinger
02-22-2009, 11:19 PM
I'll see if I can get the guy down any on the Navy Arms gun............Thanks Fellas!

cajun shooter
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Runfiverun, I just bought and installed the Marble's tang site on my 92 45 Colt. What a difference! My older eyes now work. I purchased mine from Brownell's. I bought a Lyman from a forum member but went with the Marble's as it's adjustable for windage and the Lyman is not. My first rile with the tang and I'm sold on the way it works. You can buy the Williams slot blank to fill in where you remove the old rear. Later David

Slinger
02-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Runfiverun, I just bought and installed the Marble's tang site on my 92 45 Colt. What a difference! My older eyes now work. I purchased mine from Brownell's. I bought a Lyman from a forum member but went with the Marble's as it's adjustable for windage and the Lyman is not. My first rile with the tang and I'm sold on the way it works. You can buy the Williams slot blank to fill in where you remove the old rear. Later David

If I get the Navy I'm going to order a Marbles Tang Sight. Do you have any idea how much the Navy Arm 1892 24" Octagon barrel weighs? I picked up a Uberti that was way too heavy.

cajun shooter
02-25-2009, 03:07 PM
No I don't Slinger, the one I have now is a 20" bbl and it swings and points great. It's bbl is a full octagon. I just traded for another 92 that's on it's way to me and it has the 24" bbl with the 1/2 oct and 1/2 round bbl. Steve Young told me that 24 will swing and point just like a 20 though. That's why I bought it. The 20" bbl is the most popular and bought bbl length. A full 24" oct is on the bbl heavy side for me. It all depends on your use. For Cas and carrying I would stick with the 20" or the 1/2 and !/2 not the full Oct. Call Steve and he will give you all the info you need on the 92. His number is 409-984-5473

Boomer Mikey
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
The Navy Arms 1892's were the best Rossi 1892's made... well worth an extra $100.

Boomer :Fire:

Slinger
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Figures, I run down a 24"and the 20" is more desirable....................Sometimes you just can't get a break.
Is the Navy Arms now being made in W Va or is the company belly up? I'm lost here as I got on the NAvy Arms website, but some of it isn't working. Anybody know what the deal is????

Wills Point Pete
02-26-2009, 02:25 AM
The fact that most folks like the 20 inch better has nothing to do with which is really better. The 24 inch straight oct. barrel hangs steadier than the 20 inch, the extra weight out front is useful. I bought a 24 inch Navy in stainless a couple-three years back. I shoot BP loads in CAS and I don't often miss. Then I bring it home, give it a quick cleanup and load the magazine with max loads of H110 and a 250 grain Hornady XTP. A quick sight adjustment and we're ready for pretty much anything within two hundred yards.

These Navy Arms (and other) '92 clones might be a bit rough, there are several websites with instructions for slicking them up. Once you have it it's no big trick to get good accuracy and great ballistics out of it. The '92 clones will easily take the "Ruger Only" loads, it's no problem to equal the old 300 grain .45-70 loads.

Slinger
02-26-2009, 09:25 AM
What's the bore diameter of these Navy Arms 92s?

cajun shooter
02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Wills Point Pete, I was referring to what most people buy and the fact that Slinger said he found the 24" Uberti in full oct.bbl way too heavy. I didn't say anything about being better. It's his choice. As far as the rest of your statement , I fully agree. The full oct 24" bbl tends to be bbl heavy for most people. I also shoot CAS in Frontier Cartridge and on those sites I go by Fairshake. If you are the same Wills Point Pete on those sites you have seen my postings. The bbl heavy in CAS is great as we don't shoot at high but low targets and it is in that respect a fine rifle. When it comes to packing all day on a wild boar hunt in the Louisiana swamps I prefer something as Light as my 61 year old body can handle. Later David

Slinger
02-26-2009, 11:14 AM
You wouldn't think four inches of barrel would make that much difference........I'm 59 and won't be lugging much around. Mainly interested in just plinking and perhaps an occasional coyote. I just like the idea of a 45 Colt levergun.