PDA

View Full Version : Flexible cleaning rod

barnabus
03-06-2024, 02:06 PM
im looking for a flexible cleaning rod that i can use on a trapdoor and a rolling block.Can anyone provide me a link to what people are using. I will be using black in one and smokeless in the other so id like to buy just one 45-70 rod and attachments. Thanks for any help

ascast
03-06-2024, 02:34 PM
I made one. I used #10 Romex copper wire. 3 strands, one end in a vice, the other in the cordless drill chuck. Twist together. Solder on threaded or what ever end. It works well but "sheds" copper flecks.

schutzen-jager
03-06-2024, 05:02 PM
length of weed whacker line with short section of threaded female end of cleaning rod epoxied to one end so it can hold brushes + patches if a pull thru will fit your needs -

country gent
03-06-2024, 05:20 PM
I think Montana Vintage arms carry them. I have one I believe its nylon or derlin. I have made them from 5/16" coated cable also. I removed the coating where the end attached made a fitting with the desired brush threads on one end and a snug fit on the bare cable on the other end. Epoxied it and ran a screw thru the brush hole in to the cable and expanded it to a press fit in the coupling to lock it. A cap on the other end.

Making one is a lot of work for what the one I bought cost.

GregLaROCHE
03-06-2024, 05:23 PM
I’m assuming you want something flexible so you can clean from the breech to the muzzle to avoid debris from ending up I the action. I’ve been using a cable for cleaning my 45/70 lever gun, when shooting BP. It works well. I don’t remember where I bought it, but it’s a plastic coated cable with standard threaded fittings at each end for patches or brushes.

bandanaman
03-07-2024, 04:11 AM
im looking for a flexible cleaning rod that i can use on a trapdoor and a rolling block.Can anyone provide me a link to what people are using. I will be using black in one and smokeless in the other so id like to buy just one 45-70 rod and attachments. Thanks for any help

Track of the wolf has a good assortment of Delrin flexible rods with attachments and any adapter you might need. I have been using one[5 years ] exclusively in my Sharps as one sight I had before would not allow the use of a solid rod. I have a 3/8 rod for my 45-70....

barnabus
03-07-2024, 07:03 AM
Track of the wolf has a good assortment of Delrin flexible rods with attachments and any adapter you might need. I have been using one[5 years ] exclusively in my Sharps as one sight I had before would not allow the use of a solid rod. I have a 3/8 rod for my 45-70....

do these rods have handles? im assuming you can screw a jag and brush onto them?

Shawlerbrook
03-07-2024, 07:14 AM
Otis ? I like the weed whacked line idea. Just get the thickest one(.095 I believe).

schutzen-jager
03-07-2024, 09:06 AM
if you are not going to use bore brushes you can trim a squeeze tube nozzle to size you need for patches + retain it to line buy melting a nub on to it - trim opposite end to a sharp point, to make patch insertion easier - - Shawlerbrook , sorry but i'm not Otis

Mr.doug
03-07-2024, 10:48 AM
45 cal. I’d go with the 3/8” delrin rod. U can tap the end for jag or brush . Flexible enough to go around sights.
Been using one for several years and like it . If u go on assra.com look up beltfed. He sells them.

DeuceTwo
03-07-2024, 11:28 AM
Flexible rods work well, and I always make a point of keeping them clean and grit free so I'm not "scrubbing" the bore with them.

dverna
03-07-2024, 11:34 AM
if you are not going to use bore brushes you can trim a squeeze tube nozzle to size you need for patches + retain it to line buy melting a nub on to it - trim opposite end to a sharp point, to make patch insertion easier - - Shawlerbrook , sorry but i'm not Otis

Good idea!

bandanaman
03-07-2024, 11:55 AM
do these rods have handles? im assuming you can screw a jag and brush onto them?

These are too flexible for a handle to be of much use. Have to grip them pretty good and shove them down /up the pipe....You order the rod with what ever threaded brass end you want .Mine are 10/32 and I have a adapter to go to 8/32 for my 44-40 jag.[you can get adapters that go the other way as well ] I leave the rod full length at 48 inches. With a 32 inch barrel you still need something to hold on to. On rare occasion I have had a tough patch where I will stand the rifle's muzzle on my foot and gripping with two hands push down from the breach.

Polymath
03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
I made a flex cleaning rod from a plastic covered coiled wire from a curtain valance support. (you slide the curtain over it and attach it to the window trim.)
Solder an brass jag o connector to the end.
One could also use a throttle cable sheath off a lawn mower, with a wrap of tape or a length of shrink tube over it to keep from scratching bore. I use mine to clean the forcing cone of my revolvers.

Minerat
03-07-2024, 09:29 PM
I bought a 48" 3 /8" Acetal (delrin) rod from Granger & cut off 8" to use as a chamber wipe the other 40" as a push thru wiping rod.

Search Granger for:
General Purpose Acetal Homopolymer Rods
3/8" Rod: 4 ft Plastic Lg, White, Opaque, 9,600 psi Tensile Strength, 1.2 ft-lbs/in,

John in PA
03-11-2024, 03:45 PM
Arnie (User name "Beltfed" ) on the ASSRA forum has been making and selling Delrin cleaning rods for years. I have one, as do MANY other satisfied customers. You will be pleased.
https://forum.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1702352034

StrawHat
03-12-2024, 07:22 PM
A simple pull through system works well, especially in the two actions mentioned, the rolling block and the Springfield Single Shot Rifle. As for keeping gunk out of the action, I clean them in a cradle with the rifle or carbine upside down. Gravity is your friend, you just have to out think it.

Beltfed’s product is aces, also.

Kevin

country gent
03-12-2024, 09:08 PM
With the derlin rods I may use an rubber arrow puller to grip it if my hands are slippery.

steveu
03-12-2024, 10:45 PM
+1 on beltfeds rods. The TD version is great for wiping between shots.

Bigslug
03-22-2024, 10:33 AM
The nylon coated .30 caliber Dewey rods are pretty stiff, but their .22's might have enough flex to make the angle. Otherwise, the Otis pull-through cable kits are probably the ticket.

I'd be more inclined to fab up a bore guide for the muzzle end.

schutzen-jager
03-22-2024, 11:27 AM
[ I'd be more inclined to fab up a bore guide for the muzzle end. ]

cleaning from muzzle it almost impossible to keep debris out of action, no matter how carefully you try -

StrawHat
03-22-2024, 09:16 PM
[ I'd be more inclined to fab up a bore guide for the muzzle end. ]

cleaning from muzzle it almost impossible to keep debris out of action, no matter how carefully you try -

Turn the rifle upside down. All the crap falls away from the action.

Kevin

barnabus
03-23-2024, 07:08 AM
im not a member of that forum.does beltfed have a email addy

schutzen-jager
03-23-2024, 07:16 AM
Turn the rifle upside down. All the crap falls away from the action.

Kevin

not all actions are not open at top + on many the only opening is a small ejection port on side -

Mr.doug
03-23-2024, 01:34 PM
Arnie sietz aka beltfed email is seitbach@wi-net.com. I know he was getting low on cleaning rods
Just talked to him yesterday about som other things.

As for cleaning from the muzzle to breach would be extremely difficult in a match in the prone
Position.IMHO

StrawHat
03-23-2024, 07:41 PM
not all actions are not open at top + on many the only opening is a small ejection port on side -

For some reason I thought the rifles in question were the Springfield Single Shot Rifle and a rolling block. I might be in a different thread.

Kevin

StrawHat
03-23-2024, 07:43 PM

As for cleaning from the muzzle to breach would be extremely difficult in a match in the prone
Position.IMHO

I am not aware of a match that allows you to clean the rifle on the firing line? Cleaning is done off line. A wiping rod is permitted in some BP matches, but that is different from cleaning, isn’t it?

Kevin

Mr.doug
03-25-2024, 10:07 AM
I am not aware of any Bpcr matches that do not allow a bore pig or patches to run down the barrel between
Shots while on the line shooting a string at any type of targets. Some people use a blow tube, I prefer
Wiping between shots. That being said , because of the rear tang sight a lot of shooters use a flexible
Delrin rod for wiping between shots ( maybe I should have just said wiping)

Dancing Bear
03-25-2024, 10:44 AM
Otis Rifle Cleaning Kit https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1014805588?pid=697209

I bring it during hunting season just in case but also have my Dewey rod setup.